MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 APRIL 2015 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor

VH

 

 

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor

PH

 

 

Graham Harris (for items 150/14, 151/14 and 152/14)

GH

 

 

 

 

141/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

141.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikki Batten (VB) and David Sparkes (DS)

 

 

 

 

142/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

142.1/14

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

143/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 MARCH 2015

 

 

 

 

143.1/14

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 March 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

144/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 MARCH 2015

 

 

 

 

62.4/14

Wildflower Meadow Project - CC had contacted Jake Chant to suggest that he contacts the owners of   two possible areas which could be used for wildflower meadows.  These are an area north of Leigh Woods which is part of Whitehole Farm and in and around the Soho Solar Farm which is part of the Mells estate.  It was noted that there will be a Meadow Management Talk on Tuesday 28 April at the Earth Science Centre.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – it was agreed that this item was now complete.  All Councillors will have to complete a new form at the first meeting following the election date which the Clerk will then return to the Monitoring Officer

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – CC and DM had considered the draft plan and this is discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – the Clerk will make sure that VB and KP are informed of any available training dates later in the summer – ongoing.  It was noted that the Mendip Rural Forum on 4 June will be particularly relevant for newly elected Councillors.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 – nothing new to report on this item. 

 

CC

 

 

 

54.3/14

Highways – Old Frome Road signage – CC had received a response from Traffic Management at SCC stating that two new cross roads warning signs will be installed in the region of Holly Bush Lane and Park Lane and these will be accompanied by SLOW markings on the carriageway.   CC had asked that all junctions on the Old Wells Road be assessed but no information was forthcoming about this request.

 

 

 

 

 

112.3/14

New Cemetery – CC reported that he and PH would be meeting Jo Hudson on 18 May

 

CC

 

 

 

115.1/14

Defibrillator – DM had completed an assessment and report – covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

117.1/14

Neighbourhood Planning – CC attended the meeting on 23 March at Compton Dundon village hall.

 

 

 

 

127.1.3/14

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Townsend Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip – it was noted that CC had attended the planning board and spoken for the application which subsequently was approved.  Thanks were extended to VH and PH for their support.

 

 

 

 

133.2/14

Asset Register – the Clerk to email the Recreation Field and the School to make them aware of the items that have been transferred to them and ask them to confirm that they are now the keeper of these items.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

134.2/14

Somerset Local Authorities Civil Contingencies Unit – Emergency Contacts – it was agreed that the Clerk would send a copy of this document for DM for completion in conjunction with the Parish Council Emergency Plan

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

135.1/14

Newsletter - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

136.1/14

PCSO Liaison meeting – it was noted that members of the public are not able to attend these meetings although Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinators are allowed to be present.  However it was noted that PACT (Police and Communities Together) meetings are open to the public.

 

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – CC and DM are trying to restart neighbourhood watch schemes that have lapsed.  The Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator in Bridgwater will ask one of the PCSO’s to attend a meeting and talk about the scheme. 

 

 

 

CC/DM

 

 

 

136.3.1/14

Footpaths – DS had submitted the return to the SCC Rights of Way Volunteer Coordinator itemising the numbers of hours spent by volunteers.

 

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – DS is still considering this idea

DS

 

 

 

136.3.3/14

Footpaths – landowner contact – CC has provided DS with a pamphlet and the contact details of the landowners who have footpaths crossing their fields.  They are to be reminded of their responsibilities in keeping footpaths clear when they cultivate land

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

136.4/15

Highways – information about the www.fixmystreet.co.uk website has been placed on the website

 

 

 

 

136.6/14

Memorial Hall – two teams from the PC have been booked in for the Quiz Night on 25 April

 

 

 

 

136.8/14

SALC – CC attended the Neighbourhood Planning Workshop on 23 March.

 

 

 

 

136.10/14

Coleford Hub – information has been added to the Newsletter

 

 

 

 

137.1/14

Parish Clerks Forum – the Clerk attended on 13 April – report elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

137.4/14

Orchard Windfalls Fund – GN has made the school aware of this fund.

 

 

 

 

139.1/14

Allotments – CC had passed contact details to the Clerk who would in turn make contact with the enquirer - complete

 

 

 

 

139.1/14

Election – notice of election had been placed on the noticeboards on the appropriate date.

 

 

 

 

145/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

145.1/14

District Council Report - VH informed the Council of her decision not to seek re-election to the District Council.  The Parish Council thanked VH for all her support over the previous four years which was greatly appreciated. 

 

145.2/14

District Council Report (PH)

 

145.2.1/14

PH gave a District Council Report and the following points were noted

 

 

·             The budget had been agreed

 

 

·             One stop had been cancelled for the Mobile Library Service in the village – it is hoped that numbers using the service will not drop any further

 

 

·             Leisure contract for the next 50 years was awarded to Fusion Lifestyle.  The contract covers Frome, Wells, Shepton Lido, Tor Leisure and Strode and the takeover commences on 1 June.   

 

 

·             Legal services in future will be shared with Taunton Deane and West Somerset Councils which will allow better access to specialist solicitors

 

 

 

 

145.3/14

County Council report (PH)

 

145.3.1/14

PH gave a County Council Report and the following points were noted

 

 

·             The budget has been agreed with £32m savings.

 

 

·             Work is ongoing with the Somerset Rivers Authority following the floods.  There is likely to be a cost to Somerset households in order to maintain the work of the Rivers Authority.  The Authority however will also be looking after other rivers in the county such as the Mells and the Frome and will be following the 20 year plan.

 

 

·             A lot of roadwork planning around Bridgwater connected with the Hinckley C development

 

 

 

 

146/14

PLANNING – Status of current applications

 

146.1/14

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Townsend Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Nick and Jane Hiscox

 

 

 

 

146.1.1/14

CC reported that following the Planning Board this application had been approved. 

 

 

 

 

146.1.2/14

The S106 aspect of the affordable housing element of the development was discussed and it was noted that until this is agreed it will not be known whether these properties will be for offered for rental or part-ownership for local families.  It was agreed that PH would keep a watching brief on this. 

 

 

 

 

146.2/14

The following application is still pending consideration:

 

 

·             2014/2736/VRC Thrice Barn, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Neil Scott.

 

 

 

 

146.3/14

The following application has been approved

 

 

·             2015/0225/HSE Construct single storey lean-to on west elevation, construct lean-to garage and car port on south elevation and single storey sun room extension on the west elevation at Crossways, Townsend, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs M Taylor

 

147/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

147.1/14

Financial Statement – the statement to 31.03.15 was approved and the first statement for the 2015/16 financial year was also approved.

 

 

 

 

147.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for March 2015 - £137.85 Payscale 18

 

 

·             HMRC -  PAYE £98.20 for months Jan, Feb, March

 

 

·             Cemetery Clerk’s Salary for 2014/15 - £84.67

 

 

 

 

148/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

148.1/14

CC reported that the Council had been offered a piece of unused land adjacent to the Memorial Hall Car Park.  The proposal is to donate the land to the Parish Council which is approximately 400 sq. metres on the proviso that it is used as an extension to the cemetery or a Garden of Remembrance.  CC had enquired about legal costs which are likely to be in the region of £1k. Two different solicitors will need to be involved working with the two parties.  CC had also placed a pre-planning advice request to MDC to check out what is required. 

 

 

 

 

148.2/14

It was proposed by DM and seconded by KP and agreed unanimously that the Clerk should write to Mr Brook stating that the Council were very grateful and happy to proceed with his offer.  CC agreed to email the address to the Clerk.

 

 

 

CC/Clerk

 

 

 

148.3/14

It was noted that the footpath could be crossed from the present cemetery to this piece of land but a blocked doorway would have to be reopened.  The Clerk would speak to the PCC about this.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

148.4/14

Further talks are to take place with Jo Hudson on 18 May.

CC/PH

 

 

 

149/14

PARISH NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

149.1/14

The amended copy was approved.  The Clerk will purchase a ream of coloured paper and arrange to print 250 copies and then will allocate copies to the Councillors who will distribute as per the list emailed by CC. 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

150/14

DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

150.1/14

DM had analysed the information supplied by the Clerk at the last meeting and produced a report which was discussed. The following points were noted 

 

 

 

 

 

·             The village does need a defibrillator

 

 

 

 

·             Various types are available but the requirement is for an automated defibrillator in a PIN coded, heated, locked box that monitors CPR and accumulates an ECG record.  This is a top of the range specification for a public access AED but because of the relative isolation of the village provides the best chance of effective life support.

 

 

·             The preferred location would be on the wall of the village hall

 

 

·             Training will include the use of the AED and CPR training which is an imperative part of treatment of a casualty.  There are two qualified trainers in the village.  This may be an opportunity to advertise and arrange a first aid courses.

 

 

·             One of the best machines is the Samaritan PAD 500P which costs £1000 plus £995 for the box and its supporting packaging.  Training courses would be additional.  Some auxiliary equipment may be required which could add further to the start-up costs.  Running costs are of the order of £150 every five years

 

 

·             Heartsafe are the main supplier in this area based at East Harptree with machines already installed in Coleford, Chilcompton and Binegar with 14 in Frome and 15 in the Chew Valley.  Heartsafe are willing to come and do a briefing for the Parish Council.  They also provide a Guardian Scheme for the lead person checking the machine in the village (about 5 minutes fortnightly). 

 

 

 

 

150.2/14

Funding – this was discussed.  There are grants available and DM offered to explore the possibility of a grant from Community Heartbeat. 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

150.3/14

GH stated that LOMCA totally support the provision of a defibrillator following a second emergency in the Hall in nine months

 

 

 

 

150.4/14

It was agreed to try and obtain sponsorship and an action was taken by all those present to think of people who could be contacted as potential sponsors such as the Lions and the Round Table, local companies etc.

 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

150.5/14

Thanks were extended to DM for his work on this report.

 

 

 

 

151/14

VOLUNTARY CAR SCHEMES

 

 

 

 

151.1/14

GH explained that community car schemes are voluntary schemes using volunteer drivers and their cars to provide a taxi style, door to door service for local residents who do not have access to public or their own transport.  A toolkit is available from SCC which had been distributed to Councillors prior to the meeting. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

151.2/14

GH stated that as Leigh-on-Mendip is a relatively small village it does have a need for better transport especially to and from Coleford where the local GP surgery is based but also to local shopping and other facilities.  LOMCA would like to evaluate the scheme further but would like to approach it as a village/parish wide scheme hence the request for consideration by the Parish Council.  Costs associated with setting it up and running it are relatively small. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

151.3/14

CC mentioned the Mendip Community Transport Slinky Service which is a door to door service and is very heavily subsidised by MDC.

 

 

 

 

151.4/14

PH stated that he had hoped that a car scheme could be set up to cover several villages including Coleford where the hub could be based.  It would mean that several people would need to get together and coordinate the service.  PH agreed to talk to GH further about this and also to email GH the details of the contact in Holcombe.

 

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

151.5/14

In the meantime it was agreed that GH would ask someone to act as a guinea pig and use the Slinky service to assess its usefulness before taking the community car scheme further.  A report would be made back to the June meeting.

 

 

 

GH

 

 

 

152/14

CONTINGENCY/EMERGENCY PLAN AND RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

152.1/14

DM had produced a draft Contingency/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment which had been distributed to Councillors for consideration.  The stage had now been reached where people other than the PC need to be involved. 

 

 

 

 

 

152.2/14

It was agreed that DM would email Geoff Mackett, Community Resilience Officer, and send him a copy of the draft and ask him for his comments.  It is hoped that a plan will be available soon that can be publicised throughout the village.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

153/14

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

153.1/14

PCSO – The next liaison meeting is scheduled to take place on 20 May in the Memorial Hall at Leigh-on-Mendip.

 

153.2/14

Footpaths – nothing new to report

 

153.3/14

Highways – nothing further to report.

 

153.4/14

Recreation Field – DS attended the annual meeting and had received the £1 annual rent.  There have been instances of people falling at the pedestrian entrance and the Committee is hoping to purchase some matting to put down to make this safer.

 

153.5/14

Memorial Hall – the Quiz Night will be on Saturday 25 April.  The Clerk will book in two teams from the PC.

 

 

 

 

153.6/14

School – nothing to report

 

153.7/14

SALC – nothing to report

 

153.8/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

153.8.1/14

CC reported that the Quarry Liaison meeting had taken place and the following points were made

 

 

·             Rookery Farm is now almost ready for use as offices

 

 

·             Blasting has commenced on the balancing lake

 

 

·             A detailed agreement between the two parties should be completed soon on the LTMF with transfer of funds to the County.

 

 

·             Clarification is being sought on the schedule for the Reclamation Steering Group and the LTM Steering Group.  The Parish Council have places on both these groups and it is not clear on the S106 exactly at what point they come into being.

 

 

 

 

153.9/14

Coleford Hub – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

154/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

154.1/14

Mendip Rural Forums – the next meeting will be on 4 June and will be aimed at newly elected Parish Councillors

 

 

 

 

154.2/14

Letter from Sir Peter Luff MP – regarding the 800th anniversary of sealing of Magna Carta on 15 June 2015. Communities are being encouraged to organise or attend a local event and there will be a national peal of bells at 3.00 p.m. after which the public are asked to take a simultaneous cup of tea.  The events will be called LiberTeas.  The Clerk was asked to send the details to LOMCA.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

155/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

155.1/14

Neighbourhood Planning Meeting – 23 March.  CC attended this and had sent the presentations round to Councillors.  As a smaller village Leigh-on-Mendip will not have any specific content in the forthcoming part 2 of the Local Plan – any development will have to justify itself as an exceptional case.  If the Council wish to shape specific limited development then consideration would have to be given to a Neighbourhood Plan.  This would be a formal part of the planning requirements whereas the Village Design Statement is guidance only.  The Council need to consider whether they want a Neighbourhood Plan before embarking on the formal process.

 

 

 

 

155.2/14

Community Plan (another name for a Parish Plan).  The Council already have a plan which was issued in 2006 and the Action Plan is due for review in June or July.  Councillors were asked to consider the plan to see if anything had changed significantly to justify another full or part survey.

 

 

 

 

ALL

155.3/15

Parish Clerk’s Forum – 13 April – the Clerk had attended this and reported on the following points

 

 

·             Declaration of Interest Forms must be completed and returned to the Monitoring Officer within 28 days of the election. All parts of the form should be completed using ‘none’ or ‘nil’ where necessary. 

 

 

·             Transparency Code will be mandatory from 1 July this year and information should be available before that date

 

 

·             The Code will run alongside the current external audit arrangements until 2017 after which councils will be exempt from routine audit.

 

 

·             All finance details are to be published on line as well as all other aspects of the information usually provided to the external auditor

 

 

·             All Parish Councils should have access to a website – there is likely to be some Government funding available for those who have not.

 

 

 

·             Equality Legislation – all councils are asked to sign a statement of commitment and this should be published on line.

 

 

 

 

156/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

156.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

·                     Email regarding the outcome of the Somerset Library Services Review and Consultation – forward to CC

 

Clerk

 

·                     All Councillors must submit an election expenses form to MDC whether they spent anything or not.  Forms were made available to Councillors to sign.

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Care Act 2014 Fact Sheet from SCC

 

 

·                     Email confirming the new partnership service for legal services  (Mendip, Taunton Deane Borough and West Somerset)

 

 

·                     Email from the Mobile Citizens Advice service which will no longer be regularly visiting the village but are willing to attend any events.  Clerk to suggest possible attendance at the Country Fair.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

157/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

157.1/14

The next meeting will be the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council which will take place on Monday 18 May 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall, with the Annual Parish Meeting taking place at 8.00 p.m.