MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 SEPTEMBER 2015 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor (part meeting)

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor (part meeting)

AT

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

 

 

034/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

034.1/15

Apologies were received from Gill Newbury (GN) 

 

 

 

 

035/15

CO-OPTION

 

 

 

 

035.1/15

The Chairman welcomed Vicki Trundle and Paula Freeland who were attending as observers with a view to possible co-option as Councillors at the next meeting.  A third parishioner is also interested in joining the Council and will attend the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

036/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

036.1/15

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

037/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 JULY 2015

 

 

 

 

037.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 July 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

038/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 JULY 2015

 

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds  The Clerk has now received the rules and regulations for MDC cemeteries and burial grounds - complete

 

 

 

 

 

133.2/14

Asset Register – the Clerk had emailed the Recreation Field and the School to make them aware of the items that have been transferred to them and is awaiting confirmation.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

134.2/14

Somerset Local Authorities Civil Contingencies Unit – Emergency Contacts – it was agreed that the Clerk would send a copy of this document for DM for completion in conjunction with the Parish Council Emergency Plan

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – CC and DM are trying to restart neighbourhood watch schemes that have lapsed.  A meeting will be arranged with PCSO Mike Storey to talk about the scheme.

 

 

 

CC/DM

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – DS stated that this idea is still under consideration and he will approach Denis Pattison about this who first mentioned the idea.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

10.1

 (APCM)

Grove Shute Farm – PH/AT were asked to clarify MDC’s policy on the affordable housing process – also discussed elsewhere in the minutes.

 

 

PH/AT

 

 

 

11.3

 (APCM)

Insurance Policy – the Clerk to forward the policy to DM for consideration

 

Clerk

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – the clerk had received a copy of the Recreation Field insurance; a risk assessment had been done in the past but not recorded, the clerk will remind them again about this.  The Clerk has requested a copy of the Memorial Hall insurance policy.  It was noted that this is an action arising from the last review of the risk assessment and policies should be sent to DM for consideration.  It was noted that Alan Nicklin has indicated that he is happy to help with insurance reviews but can only make observations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 011.1/15

Contingency/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

 

014/15

Community funding through the Thompson Family Charitable Trust – the Clerk had written for further information

 

Clerk

 

 

 

016/15

Freedom of Information Request – The clerk had sent this to CC for consideration and a response has been made - complete

 

 

 

 

 

023.1/15

Outstanding planning enforcement issues – CC had emailed AT information about outstanding enforcement notices.

 

 

 

 

023.2.1/15

Community Car Scheme – the Clerk had received the name of the contact in Holcombe and will pass this on to Graham Harris

Clerk

 

 

 

023.2.3/15

Free mini buses – Councillors will try and ascertain the current level of usage of services. 

All

 

 

 

023.2.4/15

Tor 4 Wind Turbines – complete

 

 

 

 

024.2.5/15

Tor 4 Wind Turbines – information has been distributed - complete

 

 

 

 

024.2.5/15

Planning Presentation - complete

 

 

 

 

025.2/15

Grant for Recreation Field – information is awaited from the Recreation Field Management committee on a more detailed proposal of the goalposts they want with costings to include information on how they are to be stored or secured.

 

 

 

 

025.3/15

Grant to Toddler Group – the Clerk had written to state that £50 had been agreed towards the running costs of the Group.  The Council had suggested contacting the Local Legacy Fund for additional help but this only accepts grants over £5,000.  The Council had also suggested an increase in fees but again this was not viable as other local village groups are cheaper. It was agreed that the Clerk should write to the Group again to ask that they contact the Council urgently if a lack of funds should mean closure and to keep the Council updated.  The Clerk will also provide information on other grants.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

026.1/15

Cemetery Matters – the Clerk to remind Mr Cross to continue strimming and tidying around the graves and edges of the churchyard.  The sunken grave also needs to be filled in - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – the intention is to resite this next to the Memorial Hall.  DM to follow up with Hall Committee

 

DM

 

 

 

027.1.4/15

Review of Actions of Parish Plan – discussed elsewhere on the minutes

 

 

 

 

029.1/15

PCSO – GM had confirmed that she had spoken to the PCSO regarding the graffiti and vandalism - complete

 

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – DS reported that he has to speak to all the volunteers – ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

029.2.3/15

Barnsclose – the path seems to have been cleared - complete

 

 

 

 

039/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

039.1/15

County Council Report (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·             New road signs for the junction on the Old Wells Road near the waterworks have been chased for the third time

 

 

·           New highway improvement scheme about to start.  PH will be attending training.  If the Council require anything to be done inform PH

 

 

 

·           Health and Wellbeing Grant available - £5k across the 15 parishes

 

 

·           Hinckley C - there will be a shortage of housing in the Bridgwater area

 

 

·           Devon and Somerset have sent a joint letter of intent for devolution to central Government with the intention of securing greater control over skills, growth and employment in the region

 

 

·           Halecombe Quarry meeting will take place on 21 October – minutes of last meeting not yet available.

 

 

·           New bus services now in place– the service will need to be used more in order to attract further funding from the Council next year.

 

 

 

 

039.2/15

District Council Report (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·           Wind turbines – public enquiry into Torr 4 has taken place.  Report will be issued within 4 months.

 

 

·           Mendip Licensing Board received a proposal for a mini festival to take place on land opposite Mendip Crematorium

 

 

·           Enforcement – there is an issue with resources.  The Clerk reported that she had been informed that funding had been provided to employ two new officers.  PH reported that Coleford Parish Council had lost faith in the planning and enforcement procedure and had agreed a motion of no confidence.  Councillors agreed to join in with this motion.  AT agreed to send a draft of the motion when completed. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

039.3/15

District Council Report (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·           Planning advice will be charged for on a sliding scale

 

 

·           High hedge problems will cost £400 for action, moving or diverting a footpath will cost £1500

 

 

·           MDC will be starting up a housing company of which PH will be a director.  Houses will be only built for sale or rent, not Affordable Housing.

 

 

·           Transformation – talks going on with Mendip and South Somerset around sharing services.  Outcome expected by the end of the year.

 

 

·           Regulatory services such as the police, NCL Parking, enforcement, fire, Landscape Group discussing ways of stopping duplication of visits

 

 

·           Field – MDC received a presentation from Henry Gibson about Field who are a new community owned internet provider based in Frome.  They are using modern wireless technology to deliver superfast internet to homes and businesses all over Mendip.  Pilot scheme is taking place in Trudoxhill, Wanstrow, Witham Friary, Upton Noble and Batcombe which will be up and running by Christmas.

 

 

·           Syrian migrants – meeting to take place and preparations being put in place

 

 

 

 

039.4/15

Affordable Housing - PH reported that this is still with the legal team and he will chase a response again.  CC will contact Nina Richard the Affordable Housing Officer.

 

 

PH/CC

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – not yet published on the website.  The Clerk will follow this up again.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

040/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

040.1/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

040.1.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

040.1.2/15

Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement (see above)

 

 

 

 

040.1.3/15

2015/1467 - Application for a single storey rear extension at Bramble Hedge is for a lawful extension certificate - approved

 

 

 

 

041/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

041.1/15

Financial Statement – the statement to 21.09.15 was approved

 

 

 

 

041.2/15

Transfer of funds – following on from the agreement to transfer £3,000 from the bank account to the NS&I account, the Clerk had ascertained that deposit forms were available on the NS&I website.  The form was completed and signed and a cheque issued which will be sent off by the Clerk.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

041.3/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for August 2015 - £176.27 Payscale 19

 

 

·             Mrs Emma Brooks – Toddler Group grant £50.00

 

 

·             Mr R Blunden – internal auditor

 

 

·             National Savings & Investment - £3,000 (see above)

 

 

·             HMRC – payment of PAYE Apr/May/June/July £177.77

 

 

 

 

041.4/15

External Audit – The Clerk reported that the external audit had been carried out satisfactorily

 

 

 

 

042/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

042.1/15

Fees – the Clerk explained the breakdown of the fees when interring ashes on a separate occasion from the funeral service and also how fees are paid by the PCC to the Diocesan Board of Finance.

The Council follow the Parochial Fees as produced by the Church of England and amended on 1 January each year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

042.2/15

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

042.2.1/15

The Clerk had received confirmation of the quotation from one solicitor but the other was still outstanding.  It was proposed by DS and seconded by CC that Harris and Harris would be contacted to handle the work on the acquisition of the land for the new cemetery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

042.2.2/15

It was agreed that Bartletts of Shepton Mallet should be approached for confirmation of Mr Brook’s costs. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

043/15

REVIEW OF ACTIONS FROM PARISH PLAN

 

 

 

 

043.1/15

CC had updated and distributed the Parish Plan with agreed amendments.  The following further points were made

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Village magazine should contain PCSO contact information

 

 

·                     Village magazine is by subscription and has separate account to that of the PCC

 

 

·                     Taxi link service – will go into magazine once confirmed

 

 

·                     Defibrillator should be added in the LOMCA/Community activity area. 

 

 

·                     To note that activities in the hall are advertised on the village website, on noticeboards and in the magazine

 

 

 

 

043.2/15

It was agreed that CC would update the plan and then reissue

CC

 

 

 

044/15

LOCAL PLAN PART II

 

 

 

 

044.1/15

Consultation period takes place up to 16 December and a notice will be put on the noticeboard giving details of venues where consultation is to be held.  The nearest venue is at Coleford Village Hall on Monday 19 October from 2.00 p.m. to 8.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

044.2/15

The following points were made in relation to this

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Development required is for smaller houses for younger families

 

 

·                  Recreation field and the field beyond should remain protected

 

 

·                  Ensure that the open spare around the church is still defined

 

 

·                  Village Design Statement should still be followed as part of the Planning Process.

 

 

 

 

 

044.3/15

It was agreed that as many Councillors as possible would attend the consultation sessions but information is also available on the MDC website.

 

 

 

 

045/15

CONTINGENCY/EMERGENCY PLAN AND RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

045.1/15

This document is still under preparation following information received from Geoff Mattick.  DM will ask him about the Parish Pack which should have been received from Western Power.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

046/15

TRANSPORT

 

 

 

 

046.1/15

The Clerk reported on a letter received from Mendip Community Transport who would be in receipt of two new minibuses at the end of the year.  They intend to hold meetings with Parish Councils all over the area to ascertain what level of services are required.  Leigh-on-Mendip has been invited to a meeting to be held at Holcombe Village Hall on Thursday 1 October at 7.00 p.m.  DS agreed to attend. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

047/15

DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

047.1/15

Responses to the request for funding have been disappointing.  The Clerk reported that she had registered to receive information on funding from the Community Council for Somerset and will pass this information onto DM.  Contacting CRISP (Community Resilience in Somerset Project) had been suggested by Geoff Mattick.  DM will also officially email PH and ask for funding from the Health and Wellbeing Fund.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

048/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

048.1/15

PCSO – GN reported that she had spoken to Mike Storey about the graffiti and the vandalism done to Forest School.

 

 

 

 

048.2/15

Footpaths - DS reported that some walkers had complained about a field containing cows, this had been reported and dealt with.  Thanks were extended to Simon Biddlecombe for his work in trimming the brambles overhanging the pavement between Sparks Farm and the bus stop.

 

 

 

 

048.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

 

·                     the roadsweeper had attended but on a different day from that expected

 

 

·                     a report had been made to ‘FixMyStreet’ about the ash tree growing out of the bank on the bridge near Great House Farm.  This was obscuring vision for traffic.

 

 

·                     The flashing school lights have been attended to.

 

 

 

 

 

048.4/15

Recreation Field – the pump track project is live and moving forward

 

 

 

 

048.5/15

Memorial Hall – AGM 2 November.  Quiz night 31 October

 

 

 

 

048.6/15

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

048.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

048.8/15

Quarry

 

 

 

 

048.8.1/15

Next meeting 21 October at 10.00 a.m. at Halecombe. 

 

 

 

 

048.8.2/15

DS reported that the outdoor classroom (Forest School) has been reinstated and all the broken glass removed. 

 

 

 

 

048.8.3/15

FOLC sponsorship was discussed.  Any application will be made at a higher management level and a contact name will be supplied.  

 

 

 

 

048.8.4/15

The work on the water pipe planned to run to the fishing lakes will start within 2 weeks.

 

 

 

 

048.8/15

Coleford Hub – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

049/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Neighbourhood Planning Forum and Local Plan Part II

 

 

·                  CRISP – Community Resilience in Somerset Project – details of how to apply for funding.

 

 

 

 

050/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                  23 September Mendip Rural Forum at MDC

DS

 

·                  26 September SALC AGM

 

 

·                  29 September PACT meeting at Coleford – posters on the noticeboard

 

 

·                  6 October Neighbourhood Planning Forum at MDC

GN

 

·                  12 October FAVBUG – Frome and Villages Bus Users Group

 

 

·                  14 October – series of new councillor training sessions commences

 

 

·                  19 October – Local Plan (Part 2) consultation, Coleford Village Hall, 2-8pm

 

 

·                  21 October – Quarry Liaison Meeting, 10.00 a.m.

DS/CC

 

 

 

051/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

051.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

·                     Community Council for Somerset – Free funding portal for Somerset – the Clerk will send this to DM

 

Clerk

 

·                     Doing Good for Somerset – Voluntary and Community Fair 015 on 27 October 2.30  to 8.00 p.m. at Yeovil College

 

 

·                     SALC – guidance on the smaller authorities transparency fund – application form and guidance

 

 

·                     SALC – email regarding AGM

 

 

·                     SALC – survey on the start of a new National Training strategy

 

 

·                     SALC – survey on experiences of tractors driving through villages.  The Clerk was asked to respond that although Leigh-on-Mendip is a rural community there are no real problems with tractors although there are issues about mud on the roads at times.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     SALC – information on new training sessions

 

 

·                     Recycling and Refuse Collections – Bank Holiday collections

 

 

·                     Mendip Rocks – information on events in October

 

 

·                     Rural Services Network – information on a survey being carried out regarding rural services across the country

 

 

 

 

052/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

052.1/15

The next meeting will be on 19 October 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.