MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 19 OCTOBER AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

053/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

053.1/15

Apologies were received from Philip Ham (PH) District and County Councillor and Alan Townsend (AT) District Councillor

 

 

 

 

054/15

CO-OPTION OF NEW COUNCILLORS

 

 

 

 

054.1/15

It was proposed by DM, seconded CC and agreed unanimously to co-opt Paula Freeland and Vicki Trundle as Councillors; there is still one vacancy.  It was also agreed to change the start time of meetings to 7.00 p.m. as from the November meeting.

 

 

 

 

055/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

055.1/15

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

056/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 SEPTEMBER 2015

 

 

 

 

056.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 September 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

057/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 SEPTEMBER

 

 

 

 

133.2/14

Asset Register – confirmation has been received from the School on the transfer of items from the asset register, confirmation from the Recreation Field is still awaited and the Clerk has sent a reminder.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – CC and DM are trying to restart neighbourhood watch schemes that have lapsed.  DM is receiving notifications and will forward these to CC.

 

 

CC/DM

 

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – DS stated that this idea is still under consideration and he will approach Denis Pattison about this who first mentioned the idea.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

10.1

 (APCM)

Grove Shute Farm – PH/AT were asked to clarify MDC’s policy on the affordable housing process but no response has been received.  CC has now emailed Nina Richards at MDC.

 

 

PH/AT

 

 

 

11.3

 (APCM)

Insurance Policy – the Clerk to forward the policy to DM for consideration

 

Clerk

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – the clerk had sent copies of the Memorial Hall and Recreation Field insurance documents to DM.  The risk assessment for the Recreation Field is still outstanding and the Clerk will send a reminder.  DM will consider the insurance policies and discuss with Alan Nicklin as appropriate.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

014/15

Community funding through the Thompson Family Charitable Trust – the Clerk had written for further information and will follow this up

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

023.2.3/15

Free mini buses – Councillors will try and ascertain the current level of usage of services - ongoing

All

 

 

 

025.2/15

Grant for Recreation Field – information is awaited from the Recreation Field Management committee on a more detailed proposal of the goalposts they want with costings to include information on how they are to be stored or secured.

Clerk

 

 

 

025.3/15

Grant to Toddler Group – the Clerk had sent the £50 grant as agreed towards the running costs of the Group and asked the Leader to make sure that the Council were kept updated and made aware of any lack of funds - complete

 

 

 

 

026.1/15

Cemetery Matters – the Clerk to remind Mr Cross to continue strimming and tidying around the graves and edges of the churchyard.  The sunken grave also needs to be filled in and the hedge trimmed down to the fence level – the Clerk will check that this has been done.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – the intention is to resite this next to the Memorial Hall.  DM to follow up with Hall Committee - ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – DS reported that he has to speak to all the volunteers – ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

039.2/15

Enforcement – PH reported at the last meeting that Coleford Parish Council had agreed a motion of no confidence in the enforcement procedure and Leigh-on-Mendip had agreed to join in with this.  AT was to have sent a draft of the motion when completed – ongoing.

AT

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – not yet published on the website.  The Clerk will follow this up again.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

041.2/15

Transfer of Funds to NS&I account – the sum of £3000 had been transferred to the NS&I account - complete

 

 

 

 

042.2.3/15

Transfer of land – the Clerk has received a quotation from Bartlett’s of Shepton Mallet who are the solicitors acting for Mr Brook in the transfer of land for the new cemetery.  It was agreed that the Council would instruct Harris & Harris in Frome to act on their behalf and CC would draft a letter which the Clerk would send.

CC/Clerk

 

 

 

043/15

Parish Plan – CC had updated the actions on the Parish Plan and the following were noted:

 

 

·             PCSO information has been inserted into the magazine.

 

 

·             The installation of the new noticeboard is ongoing

 

 

·             The Clerk was asked to contact Mells Shop regarding the possibility of their mobile shop/post office calling in the village.    

Clerk

 

·             Cyclelink – link into the old railway line at Colliers Way – to be considered

 

 

 

 

043.1/15

All other actions on the plan are in the process of being done or actioned.

 

 

 

 

045.1/15

Contingency Plan/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment - This document is still under preparation following information received from Geoff Mackett.  DM will ask him about the Parish Pack which should have been received from Western Power.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

046/15

Transport

 

 

 

 

046.1/15

DS had attended a meeting held by Mendip Community Transport at Holcombe Village Hall on 1 October.  MCT have been allocated two new minibuses and are meeting with interested parties to ascertain the level of service required.  It is likely that a mix of on demand services and regular services would be supplied and a co-ordinator will be needed.  It was agreed that DS would talk to Graham Harris to see if LOMCA could be involved in working out requirements.  There will also be a questionnaire to be delivered to households or put on the website.  It was agreed that GN would draft a questionnaire to put to MCT and consideration would be given to a letter drop around the village.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS/GN

 

 

 

047/15

Defibrillator – discussed elsewhere in the minutes

 

 

 

 

049/15

Neighbourhood Planning forum – discussed elsewhere in the minutes.

 

 

 

 

050/15

Mendip Rural Forum – DS attended.  Subjects included Village SOS and Community Funding Portal, Local Plan Part II, Localism and Best Practice, Scrap Metal Licensing Regime and the new Police Operating Model.

 

 

 

 

050/15

Quarry Liaison Meeting – has been postponed until 25 November

 

 

 

 

051.1/15

Community Council for Somerset – Free funding portal for Somerset – the Clerk had forwarded the information to DM

 

 

 

 

051.1/15

SALC – survey on experiences of tractors driving through villages.  The Clerk had responded as indicated at the last meeting.

 

 

 

 

058/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

058.1/15

There were no reports to receive

 

 

 

 

059/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

059.1/15

New Applications

 

 

 

 

059.1.1/15

2015/2192/CLE – Continuation of Residential Occupancy without complying with condition 2 on outline planning consent 100829/004 at 2 Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs Carol Mallinson

 

 

 

 

059.1.1/15

It was proposed by DN, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of this application. The Clerk was asked in inform Mendip District Council of the Council’s decision.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

059.2/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

059.2.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

059.2.2/15

Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

059.2.3/15

Land at Park Hayes – it was reported that an application for approval of reserved matters following outline approval for 12 dwellings with associated parking and access was now on the website although the consultation documents had not yet been received by the Council.

 

 

 

 

060/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

060.1/15

Revision of Financial Regulations (Transparency)

 

 

 

 

060.1.1/15

CC stated that a change to the Financial Regulations will need to be made following the recent introduction of the Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities.  This means that accounts will not need to be audited externally but information will have to be published on a website.  The Financial regulations have been amended to remove information about external audits and the Transparency Code has been inserted as Annex A and a paragraph inserted in the main document which reads “in accordance with the DCLG Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities the information listed in Annex A is published on the Leigh-on-Mendip Community Website”

 

 

 

 

060.1.2/15

DM stated that it may be necessary to revise the asset registers to take account of the land which the Council is acquiring for use as a cemetery.  The relevant clause in the Annex states “parish councils and port health authorities to publish details of all public land and building assets - either in its full asset and liabilities register or as an edited version.”

 

 

 

 

060.1.3/15

The Clerk stated that until 2017 it will be necessary to undergo external auditing and to publish information on the website.  The Clerk was asked to check this point.

Clerk

 

 

 

060.2/15

Financial Statement – the statement to 19.10.15 was approved

 

 

 

 

060.3/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for September 2015 - £176.47

Payscale 19

 

 

 

 

061/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

DM reported on an issue with insurance cover which is being explored with the PCC to ascertain responsibility for users of the churchyard and cemetery.  It was agreed to look at the Council insurance to see if cover is provided.

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

062/15

NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN/LOCAL PLAN PART II

 

 

 

 

062.1/15

GN had attended the neighbourhood plan meeting and gave a report.  It was noted that development of such a plan involves a great deal of work and commitment with a specific achievement in mind. GN agreed to carry on attending the meetings for information.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

062.2/15

It was agreed that at the next meeting the Council would discuss their reaction to the consultation on the Local Plan Part II and complete the questionnaire to include such things as protection of certain areas and preference as to where it might be possible to have additional housing in future. The continued adoption of the Village Design Statement is also required.

 

 

 

 

Next

agenda

 

 

 

063/15

DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

063.1/15

DM will officially email PH and ask for funding from the Health and Wellbeing Fund.  Scott Matthews who lives in the village and works for South Western Ambulance Trust had offered advice, DM to contact.  The Clerk reported that the Co-operative at Radstock had responded to the letter requesting sponsorship and will be considering our request.  It was agreed however not to delay any longer in waiting for sponsorship but to go ahead with the recommendations in DM’s report and ask the chosen supplier to attend a meeting to brief the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

064/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

064.1/15

PCSO – GN reported that the PCSO had not known about the vandalism to Forest School.

 

 

 

 

064.2/15

Footpaths – it was reported that the footpath from Barnsclose to the rear of Bellfield is overgrown.  CC has spoken to the landowner and DS has reported this to SCC Rights of Way.

 

 

 

 

064.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

064.3.1/15

The roadsweeper will attend between 26 – 30 October – GM will distribute the pamphlets

 

 

 

 

064.3.2/15

At the last meeting PH reported that a new highway improvement scheme was about to start and he would be attending training – if the Council required any road improvements they should inform him

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

CC had put together a list and it was agreed that the following three suggestions should be sent to PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Calming around Townsend where the chicane outside Townsend Cottage has caused accidents.  It was agreed to ask for more measures to slow the traffic such as curbing or a priority system

 

 

·                     Signs on Old Wells Road – awaiting new signs on the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads following a fatal accident but there are other junctions without markings/signs on what is a very fast road.

 

 

 

 

·                     Soho/Coleford signage – the road to Vobster has a 25’ length limit and the road to Old Coleford has a 7.5 ton weight limit.  However lorries using Sat Navs have been known to get stuck in Old Coleford. It is suggested that there should be a sign at Soho crossroads to ban all HGV’s from both roads.

 

 

 

 

064.3.4/15

CC will send these suggestions to PH.

CC

 

 

 

064.4/15

Recreation Field – the pump track project is live and moving forward.  Still awaiting costs for the proposed new goalposts.  It was agreed that VT will attend the meetings in future as Council representative but will be unable to attend on 9 November.  It was noted that instead of Bingo this year the Committee have organised an afternoon of Christmas wreath making.

 

 

 

 

064.5/15

Memorial Hall – AGM 2 November.  Quiz night 31 October

 

 

 

 

064.6/15

School – nothing to report although GN will send them a reminder about possible grant applications.

 

GN

 

 

 

064.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

064.8/15

Quarry - next meeting 25 November at 10.00 a.m. at Halecombe

 

 

 

 

064.9/15

Coleford Hub – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

065/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Dementia Information Sessions – The Clerk will pass this information to LOMCA

Clerk

 

 

 

066/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

·                  PCSO meeting 18 November at Rode

 

 

 

 

067/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

067.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

·                     SCC – Provision of 20kg bags of de-icing material – available on 21 November from Frome depot.  It was agreed that the Clerk would send a scanned copy of the letter to DS and DM.  DS agreed to consider areas for potential grit piles.

 

 

 

 

DS/DM

 

·                     SCC – Winter Service leaflet 2015/16

 

 

·                     SCC – information about Egress Switch – this is a new more secure way of sending sensitive or confidential information and large file attachments to comply with data protection regulations.

 

 

·                     SCC – CRISP – Community Resilience in Somerset Project – funding is available towards increasing the resilience of a community as long as the community have an up to date community emergency plan or community flood plan or be in the process of developing such a plan.  It was agreed that the Clerk would send a copy to DM.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Doing Good for Somerset – Voluntary and Community Fair at Yeovil College on 27 October 2.30 – 8.00 p.m.

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Waste Partnership – Recycling and Refuse Collections Bank Holidays changes notice

 

 

·                     MINDline Somerset – a collection of local art, music and fire on 28 November at the Wheatsheaves in Frome

 

 

·                     SALC – Nomination form to election to three posts on the NALC Smaller Councils’ Committee

 

 

·                     South West Conference of Local Councils Associations – 10 November agenda and programme

 

 

·                     Mobile Library flyers and poster

 

 

·                     Somerset Waste Partnership – monthly briefing

 

 

·                     SCC – Listening, Learning, Changing – Parish Council Questionnaire via an on line survey.  Events have taken place to gather views from the public on council priorities and to discuss current challenges when faced with rising demand and falling funding.  VT will have a look to see what questions are involved.  Any response will be agreed at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

VT

 

 

 

068/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

068.1/15

The next meeting will be on 16 November 2015 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.  Note: new time