MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 NOVEMBER AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (part meeting)

PH

 

 

Mr & Mrs J Davis for item 074.1/15

 

 

 

Lee Wright, Point Cloud for item 074.1/15

 

 

 

2 members of the public

 

 

 

 

 

069/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

069.1/15

Apologies were received from Alan Townsend (AT) District Councillor

 

 

 

 

070/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

070.1/15

CC declared an interest in the planning application under item 074.1/15.  There were no other declarations of interest.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

071/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19 OCTOBER 2015

 

 

 

 

071.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 October 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

072/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 19 OCTOBER

 

 

 

 

133.2/14

Asset Register – the Recreation Field Committee have confirmed the transfer of items from the asset register.

 

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – CC and DM are trying to restart neighbourhood watch schemes that have lapsed.  DM is receiving notifications and will forward these to CC.

 

 

CC/DM

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – DS stated that this idea is still under consideration and he will approach Denis Pattison about this who first mentioned the idea.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

 

10.1

 (APCM)

Grove Shute Farm – CC reported that he had received clarification from both Nina Richards and Oliver Marigold at MDC that affordable housing included within a development will not have a local connection requirements.  Any recommendations made by the Council for any such applications should therefore clearly state our wishes for the Affordable Housing (split of rented/intermediate, local need, which properties etc) and a request to be consulted with the District Councillors when a S106 is initially drafted.

 

 

 

 

11.3

 (APCM)

Insurance Policy – DM had received the policy

 

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – the clerk had sent copies of the Memorial Hall and Recreation Field insurance documents to DM.  The risk assessment for the Recreation Field is still outstanding and the Clerk will send a reminder.  DM will consider the insurance policies and discuss with Alan Nicklin as appropriate – to be discussed at the next meeting

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

014/15

Community funding through the Thompson Family Charitable Trust – the Clerk had written for further information and will follow this up

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

023.2.3/15

Free mini buses – Councillors will try and ascertain the current level of usage of services - ongoing

All

 

 

 

025.2/15

Grant for Recreation Field – the Recreation Field Management committee has decided to get the goalpost made locally so will not require a grant for this.

 

 

 

 

026.1/15

Cemetery Matters – the Clerk to remind Mr Cross about the sunken grave which needs to be filled in and the hedge trimmed down to the fence level. 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – the intention is to resite this next to the Memorial Hall.  DM to follow up with Hall Committee - ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – DS reported that he has to speak to all the volunteers.  VT offered to take any paths which are still unadopted  – ongoing

 

 

DS

 

 

 

039.2/15

Enforcement – CC reported that he had received details from AT regarding the motion of no confidence raised against MDC by Coleford Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – not yet published on the website.  PH will be asked to investigate

 

PH

 

 

 

042.2.3/15

Transfer of land – the Clerk confirmed that a letter, drafted by CC, had been sent instructing Harris & Harris to act on behalf of the Council.

 

 

 

 

043/15

Parish Plan – the Clerk was asked to contact Mells Shop regarding the possibility of the mobile shop/post office calling in the village.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

045.1/15

Contingency Plan/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment - This document is still under preparation following information received from Geoff Mackett.  DM will ask him about the Parish Pack which should have been received from Western Power.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

046/15

Transport.  CC agreed to draft a transport survey form based on GN’s draft.  DS will talk to Graham Harris to see if LOMCA could be involved in working out requirements

 

 

CC

 

 

 

059.1.15

2015/2192/CLE – Continuation of Residential Occupancy without complying with condition 2 on outline planning consent 100829/004 at 2 Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs Carol Mallinson – the Clerk had informed MDC of the Council’s decision in this application

 

 

 

 

060.1.3/15

Audit – the Clerk confirmed that until 2017 it will be necessary to undergo external auditing as well as publishing information on the website. 

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance cover - DM reported on an issue with insurance cover which is being explored with the PCC to ascertain responsibility for users of the churchyard and cemetery.  It was agreed to look at the Council insurance to see if cover is provided - ongoing

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

063/15

Defibrillator – DM is waiting to speak to Scott Matthews who lives in the village and works for South Western Ambulance Trust.  The Clerk had recently been present at a presentation by Heartsafe and will obtain an electronic copy of that presentation.

 

 

 

 

DM/Clerk

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – CC had sent the agreed suggestions regarding additional signage in parts of the village to PH and awaits a response.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

065/15

Dementia Information Sessions – The Clerk had passed information about this to LOMCA.

 

 

 

 

067.1/15

Provision of 20kg bags of de-icing material – DS agreed to collect bags on 21 November from Frome depot. 

 

DS

 

 

 

067.1/15

CRISP – Community Resilience in Somerset Project – the Clerk had sent a copy of this to DM.

 

 

 

 

067.1/15

Listening, Learning, Changing – Parish Council Questionnaire via an on line survey.  VT is working on a response - ongoing

 

 

VT

 

 

 

073/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

073.1/15

District Councillor Report (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Licencing Board has sanctioned the release for consultation of the new Licensing and Gambling Policies (copies received)

 

 

·                     Wind turbine at Bruton rejected on appeal. 

 

 

 

 

073.2/15

County Councillor Report (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                     SCC overspend this year resulting in a spending freeze and £27m short for the coming financial year

 

 

·                     Bus consultation on certain routes and concessionary bus fares

 

 

·                     Health & Well Being grant – unfortunately not available for funding the defibrillator

 

 

 

 

073.3/15

District Councillor Report (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Plan went to cabinet to improve health and well-being of residents of Mendip, support economic development and growth and to identify more creative ways of providing houses and to maintain supply of good housing for all our communities.

 

 

·                     Precepts – may introduce capping for Parish Councils

 

 

·                     Landscape Group – in this area £34,000 spent on fly tipping in the last few months

 

 

·                     Tree inspections undertaken across Mendip for the first time which has shown a large amount of work which needs to be done

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Migrants – work ongoing – biggest challenge is schooling for children and working with those who have been traumatised by events

 

 

·                     Mobile Phone masts – PH will speak to David Warburton MP.  Possibility of installing on church towers

 

PH

 

·                     Highway schemes – has received requests

 

 

·                     Declaration of interests – still not on website.  PH to investigate.

 

PH

 

 

 

074/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

074.1/15

New Applications - 2015/2338/REM – Application for approval of reserved matters following outline approval (2013/1987) for 12 dwellings with associated parking and access on land south of Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr J Davis

 

 

 

 

 

074.1.1/15

It was noted that this application is for approval of reserved matters, the outline planning approval having been given in February 2014 despite a recommendation for refusal from the Parish Council.  It was noted that in the Officers report an S106 agreement has been signed and indicates a contribution of £1,297.69 per dwelling to be used for the provision or enhancement and management of offsite public open space within the District of Mendip. 

 

 

 

 

074.1.2/15

Lee Wright from Point Cloud gave a short resume of the plans for the development and stated that the number of dwellings has been fixed at 12 and this has been agreed by MDC.  The mix will be 4 two bedroomed, 6 three bedroomed (of two different types) and 2 four bedroom properties.  The properties will be sited back from the road with similar hedges and frontages to those properties currently in Park Hayes. 

 

 

 

 

074.1.3/15

A member of the public made a statement that there was little or no faith in the demographic process following the approval of the outline planning proposal which was contrary to the express wishes of the community of Leigh-on-Mendip as detailed in the Village Design Statement. 

 

 

 

 

074.1.4/15

At this point CC left the room and DM (Vice Chairman) took the chair.

 

 

 

 

074.1.5/15

After discussion the following general points were made

 

 

 

 

074.1.6/15

The Parish Council was puzzled that the number of dwellings in the development was fixed at twelve and that there was no affordable housing within the mix of 2, 3 and 4 bedroomed houses; this is apparently non-negotiable and enshrined in the legal S106 agreement although these are reserved matters not agreed within the outline approval. It is also understood that this agreement includes a contribution in lieu of provision of open spaces; if this application is approved the Parish Council expects this payment to be used for the benefit of the parish. The Parish Council is supportive of the developers wish to keep the build costs as low as practicable as the village lacks low cost homes suitable for local members of the community

 

 

 

 

074.1.7/15

The Parish Council was also concerned about the lack of adherence to the adopted Village Design Statement (VDS).  Whilst the Council recognises the reasons and supports reducing the cost of the build by not using natural stone completely it recommends that the mix of materials is reconsidered to better reflect the guidance in the VDS and the overall character of the village.  The Council does not consider that the adjoining housing provide the most appropriate template. Accordingly, the development should consider avoiding the use of reconstituted stone and concrete roof tiles and investigate the wider use of render as well as the use of some natural stone and clay roof tiles.

 

 

 

 

074.1.8/15

The Parish Council was also concerned about the suburban "could be anywhere" character of the proposed housing, particularly those dwellings with built in garages as such a dominant part of the front façade; this fails to respond to the local identity and distinctiveness of the village and again the guidance given in the adopted VDS. 

 

 

 

 

074.1.8/15

After making the above general comments, it was proposed by PF, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to recommend refusal of the proposal for the following reasons:

 

 

 

 

 

·             The proposed mix of materials, including reconstituted stone and concrete roof tiles, fails to accord with the guidance given in the adopted Village Design Statement and does not appropriately reflect the character of the village.

 

 

 

 

 

·             The proposed design of the majority of the development is of an overtly suburban character and fails to reflect the wider rural character of the village and the guidance given in the adopted Village Design Statement, in particular through the inclusion of built in garages as such a dominant part of the front façade.

 

 

 

 

 

The Clerk was asked to inform MDC of the Parish Council’s conclusions including the general points.

Clerk

 

 

 

075.2/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

075.2.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

075.2.2/15

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

075.2.3/15

2015/2192/CLE – 2 Grove Shute Farm – continuation of residential occupancy without complying with condition 2 on outline planning consent 100829/004 (Agricultural Occupancy) – this has been deemed to be lawful

 

 

 

 

076/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

076.1/15

Financial Statement - the statement to 16.11.15 was approved.

 

 

 

 

076.2/15

NS&I Statement – this had been received and showed the transfer of £3000 into the account.  However the balance showed a higher amount than that on the financial statement.  The Clerk will investigate.

 

 

 

Clerk

076.3/15

Revision of Financial Regulations (Transparency)

 

 

 

 

076.3.1/15

CC had distributed a revision to the Financial Regulations to take account of the introduction of the Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to adopt the amended regulations.

 

 

 

 

076.4/15

Draft Budget 2016/17

 

 

 

 

076.4.1/15

CC distributed a draft budget for consideration.  Councillors were asked to review and complete the relevant cells for the 2015/16 actual/forecast and the 2016/17 budget for the items which have their initials.  This will be discussed again at the next meeting and a final draft for provisional agreement prepared.  Final approval will be at the January meeting.

 

ALL

 

 

 

076.5/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for October 2015 - £176.27

Payscale 19

 

 

·             Shepton Mallet Landscapes – Recreation Field grasscutting £537.60

 

 

·             Mendip District Council – election expenses £145.82 – the Clerk was asked to query this before payment

 

Clerk

 

 

 

076.6/16

Income from Solar Farm – the Clerk was asked to chase the payment.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

076.7/15

Pension Issues – the Clerk will investigate and inform the Council of the new pension regulations as they apply

 

Clerk

 

 

 

077/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

077.1/15

CC reported that Harris and Harris have been instructed to act for the Council and they have been in contact with Mr Brook’s solicitors in Shepton Mallet.  It was agreed that planning should be applied for as early as possible and CC will prepare the application.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

078/15

LOCAL PLAN PART II RESPONSE TO CONSULTATION

 

 

 

 

078.1/15

CC had drafted a response which was discussed and included the following comments

 

 

 

 

078.2/15

Some limited development should be allowed to encourage organic growth to maintain the demographic balance by providing limited housing for young families and older residents.  It is not considered that neighbourhood plans are appropriate where development is limited and an adopted Village Design Statement exists.  It was agreed not to recommend that “secondary village” planning constraints are applied to Leigh. Suitable “windfall” sites could be supported by the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

078.3/15

Open areas of Local Significance/Local Green Spaces -

 

 

St Giles’ Church and additional land and buildings behind was confirmed as continuing to be designated.

 

 

 

 

078.4/15

Additional Open Area sites were identified as being the school and associated playground, grass and pond, the Recreation Field, a site for recreation use (as an extension of the current playing field) and the field between Sparks Farm and Bellfield.

 

 

 

 

078.5/15

It was agreed that CC would update the response from the comments received so far and remove any reference to secondary villages, keeping Leigh-on-Mendip as an ‘other village’.  Once the amendments have been done this will distributed again for final comment before submission to MDC.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

079/15

DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

079.1/15

The Clerk reported that Tarmac have offered a donation of £230.00 towards the cost.

 

 

 

 

080/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

080.1/15

PCSO – there have been problems in communicating with Mike Storey but these appear to have been resolved.  The next PACT meeting will take place at Rode on 18 November – GN had given apologies for this.

 

 

 

 

080.2/15

Footpaths – DS reported that two problems have been dealt with to do with ploughing and cropping.  The footpath from Barnsclose to the rear of Bellfield is overgrown and access is limited – ongoing.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

080.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

080.3.1/15

A broken sign at the Downhead crossroads had been reported.

 

 

 

 

080.3.2/15

Excessive mud on the road has been reported in a couple of areas.  GN agreed to email Mike Storey about this.

 

GN

 

 

 

080.4/15

Recreation Field – AB will inform VT when the next meeting is scheduled. 

 

AB

 

 

 

080.5/15

Memorial Hall – the AGM was held on 2 November and the Parish Council were thanked for the £200 grant.

 

 

 

 

080.6/15

School – GN has asked the School whether a grant towards a piece of equipment is required in this financial year

 

 

 

 

080.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

080.8/15

Quarry - next meeting 25 November at 10.00 a.m. at Halecombe

 

 

 

 

081/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

081.1/15

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

082/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

·                  PCSO meeting 18 November at Rode

 

 

·                  Quarry meeting 25 November at Halecombe

 

 

 

 

083/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

083.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

·           Procurement of Audit for smaller authorities – Clerk to send to CC

 

Clerk

 

·           Being a Good Councillor Training available – send to VT and PF

 

Clerk

 

·           Statement of Licensing Policy – MDC for consultation

 

 

·           Notice from SCC ‘What We Do For You’

 

 

·           MDC – Built Environment Group Newsletter

 

 

·           Shepton Mallet Landscapes – quotation for cutting Recreation Field grass in 2016 – to be discussed at the next meeting

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

084/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

084.1/15

The next meeting will be on 21 December 2015 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.  Note: new time