MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 DECEMBER AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

085/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

085.1/15

Apologies were received from DM, DS and Alan Townsend (AT) District Councillor

 

 

 

 

086/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

086.1/15

There were no declarations of interest.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

087/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 NOVEMBER 2015

 

 

 

 

087.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 November 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

088/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 NOVEMBER

 

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – Schemes have been restarted by DM (part of The Street) and CC (Townsend & Tadhill).

 

 

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – DS stated that this idea is still under consideration and he will approach Denis Pattison about this who first mentioned the idea– ongoing

 

 

DS

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – the clerk had sent copies of the Memorial Hall and Recreation Field insurance documents to DM.  The risk assessment for the Recreation Field is still outstanding and the Clerk will send a reminder.  DM will consider the insurance policies and discuss with Alan Nicklin as appropriate – to be discussed at the next meeting– ongoing

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

014/15

Community funding through the Thompson Family Charitable Trust – the Clerk had written for further information and will follow this up

 

 

Clerk

023.2.3/15

Free mini buses – Councillors will try and ascertain the current level of usage of services – Survey completed.

 

 

 

 

026.1/15

Cemetery Matters – the Clerk to remind Mr Cross about the sunken grave which needs to be filled in.   

 

Clerk

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – the intention is to resite this next to the Memorial Hall.  DM to follow up with Hall Committee at meeting on 4 January - ongoing

 

 

DM

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – DS reported that he has to speak to all the volunteers.  VT offered to take any paths which are still unadopted  – ongoing

 

 

DS

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – not yet published on the MDC website.  PH will be asked to investigate– ongoing

 

PH

 

 

 

043/15

Parish Plan – the Clerk had contacted Mells Shop regarding the possibility of the mobile shop/post office calling in the village.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

045.1/15

Contingency Plan/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment - This document is still under preparation following information received from Geoff Mackett.  DM will ask him about the Parish Pack which should have been received from Western Power. – ongoing

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

046/15

Transport – the transport survey has now been conducted.

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance cover - DM reported on an issue with insurance cover which is being explored with the PCC to ascertain responsibility for users of the churchyard and cemetery.  It was agreed to look at the Council insurance to see if cover is provided – ongoing

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

063/15

Defibrillator – The Clerk had recently been present at a presentation by Heartsafe and will obtain an electronic copy of that presentation.  AED Locator Ltd are attending the January meeting.

 

 

 

DM/Clerk

064.3.3/15

Highways – CC had sent the agreed suggestions regarding additional signage in parts of the village to PH and awaits a response. – ongoing

 

 

PH

 

 

 

067.1/15

Listening, Learning, Changing – Parish Council Questionnaire via an on line survey.  VT has submitted a response.

 

 

 

 

073.3/15

Mobile Phone Masts – PH will speak to David Warburton MP – there is a possibility of installation on church towers.

 

PH

 

 

 

 

 

076.2/15

NS&I Statement – the higher balance as noted at the previous meeting was correct – the interest received on the account had not been recorded - complete

 

 

 

 

076.5/15

MDC Election Expenses – the Clerk confirmed that invoices have now been received by all Parish Councils and where an election was not held these are for general administration expenses - complete

 

 

 

 

076.6/15

Income from Solar Farm – The Clerk confirmed that a cheque for £2000 had now been received

 

 

 

 

076.7/15

Pension Matters – the Clerk will investigate and inform the Council of the new pension regulations - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

078.15

Local Plan Part II – Response to Consultation – CC had made amendments and submitted the response which has been acknowledged

 

 

 

 

089/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

089.1/15

There were no reports to receive although AT had sent an email detailing meetings attended.

 

 

 

 

090/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

090.1/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

090.1.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

090.1.2/15

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

090.1.3/15

2015/2338/REM –12 dwellings on land south of Park Hayes – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

091/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

091.1/15

Financial Statement - the statement to 21.12.15 was approved.

 

 

 

 

091.2/15

Draft Budget 2016/17

 

 

 

 

091.2.1/15

CC had distributed a draft budget for consideration and Councillors had been asked to review and complete the relevant cells for the 2015/16 actual/forecast and the 2016/17 budget for the items which have their initials.  Final approval will be at the January meeting.

 

 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

 

091.3/15

Grant for School Playground Bins – it was proposed by GN, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to provide a grant to the school of £321.38 for the purchase of two playground bins.

 

 

 

 

091.4/15

Contract for Recreation Field Grass Cutting for 2016 – a quotation had been received from Shepton Mallet Landscapes for 2016 at £32 per cut plus VAT which is the same price as for 2015.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to accept this quotation.  The contract will be awarded for 16 cuts plus two extra if these are deemed necessary.  The Clerk will inform the Recreation Field Management Committee of the decision and Shepton Mallet Landscapes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

091.5/15

Churchyard Grass Cutting – the Clerk will contact Mr Cross for a quote for the churchyard grass cutting for 2016.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

091.3/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for November 2015 - £176.27

Payscale 19

 

 

·             Mr A Cross – Churchyard Grass cutting £675.00

 

 

·             Mendip District Council – election expenses £145.82 (cheque held over from previous meeting)

 

 

·             HMRC – PAYE - £166.20 (Aug-Nov)

 

 

·             SALC – Training Fee £20.00

 

 

·             Leigh-on-Mendip First School – grant £321.38

 

 

 

 

092/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

092.1/15

CC reported that Harris and Harris have not yet received information from Mr Brook’s solicitor. CC has contacted Mr Brook to find out what is happening.

 

 

 

 

 

092.2/15

The Clerk reported that the area used as a pathway to the churchyard and cemetery was dangerously muddy and slippery.  The Clerk will contact MDC to inform them of this health and safety issue.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

093/15

DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

093.1/15

See item 63/15 under matters arising.

 

 

 

 

094/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

094.1/15

PCSO – GN had been unable to attend the meeting on 18 November

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

094.2/15

Footpaths – CC reported that Jo Hudson has had the wall repaired on Quarry Lane leading to Barnsclose Quarry.  It was agreed that CC should email her and thank her for having the repairs carried out and to ask her whether she could arrange to have the hedge on the same pavement cut back.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

094.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

094.3.1/15

There is excessive erosion on the bend opposite Green Shutters again.

 

 

 

 

094.3.2/15

A blocked drain in the village street near the ‘pub has been reported.

 

 

 

 

 

094.4/15

Recreation Field – no report available

 

 

 

 

094.5/15

Memorial Hall – the next meeting takes place on 4 January

 

 

 

 

094.6/15

School – grant for the school agreed under Finance

 

 

 

 

094.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

094.8/15

Quarry – the meeting on 25 November was held in the refurbished farmhouse.  Various actions are to take place including work on the balancing lake and the repositioning of the tarmac plant. A planning application is expected in 2016. The money from the Long Term Maintenance Fund has now been transferred from Tarmac to SCC.

 

 

 

 

095/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

095.1/15

Mendip Rural Forum – 12 January 2016 6.30 p.m. in the Council Chamber

 

 

 

 

096/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

096.1/15

As already noted elsewhere in the minutes

 

 

 

 

097/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

·           Email from Julia Richards, Service Manager, Communications (Campaigns and Media) SCC regarding article for village magazines on Somerset Choices Website

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·           Email from SALC regarding referendum principles confirming that these will not apply to parishes for 2016/17 (already distributed to Councillors).

 

 

 

 

 

·           Email from Jan Stafford, Senior Responsible Officer, Customer Access and Shared Assets, SCC reference Listening, Learning, Changing – the future of hubs and libraries (already distributed to Councillors)

 

 

·           Community Council for Somerset – it was agreed not to seek full membership

 

 

·           SALC – allotment training workshops – The clerk will send this to VT

 

Clerk

 

·           SALC – Transparency Code for Smaller Authorities – training sessions 25 January.

 

 

 

·           Proposed Speed Indicator Device dates for Leigh for 2016 – to be distributed

 

Clerk

 

·           PCSO Liaison meeting agenda and minutes

 

 

·           SALC – Negotiate a better Outcome in Planning training 9 March at Somerton from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.  Fee for SALC members is £85 per person with a discount of £75 per person for councils who send two or more delegates to the event – to be distributed to councillors.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

098/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

098.1/15

The next meeting will be on 18 January 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.