MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY JANUARY 18 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Clive Setter, AED Locator (item 102/15)

 

 

 

 

 

099/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

099.1/15

Apologies were received from Paula Freeland (PF) and Philip Ham, (PH) County and District Councillor

 

 

 

 

100/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

100.1/15

A request for dispensation was signed by all Councillors present in order to discuss the setting of the precept.  There were no other declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

101/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 DECEMBER 2015

 

 

 

 

101.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 December 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

102/15

PRESENTATION FROM AED LOCATOR REGARDING PROVISION OF A DEFIBRILLATOR AND CABINET

 

 

 

 

102.1/15

A representative from AED Locator attended the meeting and gave a presentation on types of defibrillators available pointing out which would be the most suitable for use in the village. 

 

 

 

 

102.2/15

Information was also received on a cabinet to house the defibrillator

 

 

 

 

102.3/15

It is recommended that provision of a defibrillator is accompanied by a training course in CPR which AED Locator can provide. 

 

 

 

 

102.4/15

Mr Setter was thanked for his attendance and left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

102.5/15

It was noted that Tarmac have agreed to donate a sum towards the purchase of the defibrillator. DM stated that an application had been made to CRISP for a grant and it was noted that the Community Council for Somerset have stated that they will provide funding for defibrillators. Councillors were also reminded that they had agreed to use the money from the solar farm for this project.

 

 

 

 

102.6/15

DS agreed to make contact with the short mat bowls team who use the hall to see if they would donate.

 

DS

 

 

 

102.7/15

It was agreed to await the outcome of the CRISP grant application, which should be known within two months, and then go ahead with the purchase of at least one defibrillator to be installed at the village hall.  If enough funding is available then another defibrillator may be installed at the Recreation Field.

 

 

 

 

103/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 DECEMBER

 

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

Village Rangers – as some local people already carry out small jobs around the village it was agreed to close this item

 

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – DM is reviewing with Alan Nicklin.

 

DM

 

 

 

014/15

Community funding through the Thompson Family Charitable Trust – the Clerk had written for further information - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

026.1/15

Cemetery Matters – the sunken grave has been filled in and is just awaiting reseeding - complete   

 

 

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – the intention is to resite this next to the Memorial Hall.  DS will do this and inform MDC.

 

DS

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – DS reported that he has volunteers and needs to register them with SCC.  VT offered to take some paths which are still unadopted  – ongoing

 

 

DS/VT

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – not yet published on the MDC website. AT offered to investigate – ongoing

 

AT

 

 

 

043/15

Parish Plan – the Clerk had contacted Mells Shop regarding the possibility of the mobile shop/post office calling in the village - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

045.1/15

Contingency Plan/Emergency Plan and Risk Assessment - This document is under preparation - complete

 

 

 

 

 

046/15

Transport – CC reported that he had completed a short summary and had spoken to Mike Curtis from Mendip Community Transport at the recent Rural Forum.  The two extra minibuses will run in Sedgemoor and Mendip districts possibly on the same lines as the Slinky service.

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance cover - DM reported on an issue with insurance cover which is being explored with the PCC and MDC to ascertain responsibility for users of the churchyard and cemetery – ongoing.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – it was noted that SCC Traffic Management are aware of the problem of the signage at the Soho/Coleford crossroads and a report is awaited.  The new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied- ongoing

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

073.3/15

Mobile Phone Masts – AT reported that PH has done some lobbying and David Warburton, MP is involved.  A planning application for a new mast at the top of Edford Hill on the outskirts of Frome is expected soon and may improve coverage in the village.

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

076.7/15

Pension Matters – the Clerk will investigate and inform the Council of the new pension regulations – ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

091.4/15

Contract for Recreation Field Grass Cutting – the Clerk has informed the Recreation Field Management Committee that Shepton Mallet Landscapes have been awarded the grass cutting contract again.  SM Landscapes have also been informed.

 

 

 

 

091.15/15

Churchyard Grass Cutting – a quotation is awaited from Mr Cross for the grass cutting for 2016

 

Clerk

 

 

 

092.215

Churchyard path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had reported to MDC the muddy and potentially dangerous area which provides access to the churchyard - complete

 

 

 

 

094.2/15

Footpaths – CC reported that Jo Hudson has agreed to have the hedge cut back on the Quarry Lane pavement which leads to Barnsclose Quarry.

 

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

Somerset Choices – the Clerk had sent the information to the magazine editor for inclusion in the next edition - complete

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

Allotment Training – the Clerk had sent this information to VT.

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

Speed Indicator Dates information – Clerk to distribute to Councillors

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

Negotiate a Better Outcome in Planning Training – the Clerk reported that this training was oversubscribed but if there was interest names can be added to a reserve list in case there are cancellations.  It is anticipated that another course will run very shortly.

 

 

 

 

104/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

104.1/15

District Council

 

 

 

 

104.1.1/15

AT gave a short report and made the following points:

 

 

 

 

 

·                     joint meeting of MDC Scrutiny Committee and full Council to take place on 25 January to discuss the service procurement contract which expires in 2017. 

 

 

·                     the National Minimum Wage will have to be paid from April 2016

 

 

·                     the MDC budget will be set early next month

 

 

·                     a recommendation has been received to ban Glyfocate for use as a weed killer

 

 

·                     the report from the Inspector on the Torr 4 turbine appeal is expected very shortly

 

 

 

 

104.2/15

There was no County Councillor report available

 

 

 

 

105/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

105.1/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

105.1.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

105.1.2/15

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement. AT gave a brief update on discussions about this within MDC.

 

 

 

 

105.1.3/15

2015/2338/REM –12 dwellings on land south of Park Hayes – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

106.1/15

New application

 

 

 

 

106.1.1/15

2015/2981/FUL – Change of use from holiday let to dwelling (retrospective application) at the Barn,  Manor Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr P Neilsen

 

 

 

 

106.1.2/15

This application had been received after the agenda was issued. To be discussed at the meeting in February.  The Clerk has requested an extension of time to respond.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

107/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

107.1/15

Financial Statement - the statement to 18.01.16 was approved.

 

 

 

 

107.2/15

Draft Budget 2016/17 - The draft budget was discussed and agreed with a few further amendments

 

 

 

 

107.3/15

Precept 2016/17 – it was noted that the Parish Council Tax Support Grant will be £230.60.  After discussion it was proposed by DS, seconded DM and agreed unanimously to increase the precept this year to £6,800.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

107.4/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for December 2015 - £176.27

Payscale 19

 

 

·             Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall – annual cost for hire of hall £154.

 

 

 

 

108/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

108.1/15

CC reported that a letter had been received from Mr Brook’s solicitor informing the Council that he now wished payment for the land.   

 

 

 

 

 

108.2/15

CC had asked Harris & Harris on behalf of the Council to respond stating that the agreement with Mr Brook was an understanding that the plot is to be only used as a cemetery or Garden of Remembrance, the Parish Council had already agreed to pay the costs of his solicitor and planning restrictions on this area of land prevent any development as it is designated as part of the ‘protection of spaces and open areas of visual significance’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

108.3/15

After discussion of the options available CC proposed and it was seconded by GN, agreed unanimously to instruct Harris & Harris to inform Mr Brook’s solicitors that the Council would be willing to pay the asking price for the land on the understanding that Mr Brook would pay his own solicitors expenses.  The solicitors will also be asked to express the Council’s disappointment at the change of mind at such a late stage and make a request to expedite the purchase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

109/15

HERITAGE AT RISK REGISTER 2016 SURVEY

 

 

 

 

109.1/15

 

 

The Clerk had received a letter from MDC regarding a survey of buildings currently on their Heritage at Risk Register.

The Council are asked to make any comment on buildings currently on the register and inform MDC of any additional buildings which should be added to the register. 

 

109.2/15

After discussion it was agreed to leave the two buildings currently listed and ask MDC to add St Giles’ Church which is Grade 1 listed and is on the National Heritage at Risk Register where it’s condition is listed as ’poor’. 

 

 

 

 

109.3/15

The Council asked the Clerk to include in the response the fact that the work MDC continue to do on their heritage at risk register seeking to safeguard the future of these buildings and long term solutions is commendable alongside diminishing resources.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

110/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

110.1/15

PCSO – GN stated that PCSO Liaison meetings will no longer take place although PACT meetings at which members of the public are able to attend will continue. 

 

 

 

 

110.2/15

Footpaths – DS reported that he had been informed about a dangerous bridge between Coleford and Vobster.  This had already been reported and fixed.

 

 

 

 

110.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

110.3.1/15

The FixMyStreet website is working well.  It was noted that fly tipping is becoming a bigger problem – some builder’s rubble and plastic waste near Halecombe has been reported. 

 

 

 

 

110.3.2/15

There is a broken culvert under Townsend Cross roads which is causing flooding.  This has been reported.

 

 

 

 

 

110.3.3/15

Finger Posts – CC reported that some of the village finger posts were repainted several years ago and have started to rust again.  PF has emailed to say that Chris Ingrem has kindly offered to do some maintenance by way of decoration of the two finger posts in the village.  CC agreed to get in touch with Highways and see what their response is. 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

110.4/15

Recreation Field – drawings for the pump track have been produced

 

 

 

 

110.5/15

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

110.6/15

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

110.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

110.8/15

Quarry

 

 

 

 

110.8.1/15

DS reported that support to the village will continue and this will include the school and the village fair.  The company intend to have a stall at the Fair and are pleased to report that other depots are using the way in which they support the village as a blueprint for their own areas.

 

 

 

 

110.8.2/15

The water pipe to Coleford spring has been completed although not tested yet 

 

 

 

 

110.8.3/15

DS reported that the Quarry are pleased to have received awards for their restoration work on the farmhouse and mention of this will be made in the Council Annual Report.

 

 

 

 

110.8.4/15

DS agreed to do a short article for the parish magazine.

DS

 

 

 

111/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

111.1/15

None received this month

 

 

 

 

112/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

112.1/15

Mendip Rural Forum 12 January attended by CC & DS – presentations have been received and the link distributed to Councillors.  The next Forum will be on 14 April where the main topic will be Health & Well Being (Loneliness).  GN and DS both agreed to attend.

 

 

 

 

113/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

113.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·           Somerset Rivers Authority – January 2016 edition of the Stream

 

 

·           Newsletters from Somerset Waste Partnership, CCS and MDC Built Environment Group

 

 

·           SALC – new guidance on procurement.  Clerk to send to CC

 

Clerk

 

·           Letter from TCM Advisors reference traffic incident on 27 April 2015.  TCM have declared the Council liable because of failure to maintain the Highway and/or keep the vegetation under control.  This is the responsibility of Somerset County Highways and the Clerk will send this on to them and inform TCM.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·           Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations – Clean for the Queen 4/5/6 March (the WI is organising this on 5 March), 21 April Beacon lighting, 12 June tea parties.  The Clerk will send details round to other village organisations to see if they want to become involved.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·           Spinal Injuries Association – the Great British Fish and Chip Supper 20 May 2016

 

 

Royal Bath & West of England Society – Prince of Wales Award

 

 

·           Avon & Somerset Police & Crime Commissioner – news update.  Public forum in Taunton 21 January.

 

 

 

·           Frome Town Council – progress report and plans for the future.  Also invitation to an event on 23 February (Clerk and Chair) social event and also information about grant budget which most PC’s will be eligible for.

 

 

·           Mendip Community Transport – request for grant – agreed to discuss at the next meeting.  The Clerk will scan the letter and send to Councillors

 

 

Clerk

 

·           PACT meeting minutes and email regarding discontinuation of PCSO meetings

 

 

·           Laura Miller, CAB regarding training for front line workers which is also available to councillors

 

 

 

 

114/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

114.1/15

The next meeting will be on 15 February 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.