MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY FEBRUARY 15 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor (for item 119/15 only)

AT

 

 

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor (for item 119/15 only)

PH

 

 

 

 

115/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

115.1/15

No apologies received

 

 

 

 

116/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

116.1/15

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

117/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 JANUARY 2016

 

 

 

 

117.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 January 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

118/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 JANUARY

 

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – DM is reviewing with Alan Nicklin.- ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – DS reported that the pole on which it was intended to site the dog bin is not suitable.  CC had contacted MDC who advised that it was down to the PC to relocate the dog bin and let them know when it has been done.  DS agreed to see if he could obtain a post on which to secure the bin.

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – VT will email DS with a list of the paths she could adopt - ongoing

 

VT

 

 

 

039.5/15

Declarations of interest – these are now on the website although those for PF and VT are not there yet.  There is a link on the village website to the MDC website. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance cover - DM reported on an issue with insurance cover which is being explored with the PCC and MDC to ascertain responsibility for users of the churchyard and cemetery – ongoing.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – it was noted that SCC Traffic Management are aware of the problem of the signage at the Soho/Coleford crossroads and a report is awaited.  The new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied- ongoing

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

073.3/15

Mobile Phone Masts – see under 119.4/15

 

 

 

 

076.7/15

Pension Matters – the Clerk has obtained information about the new pension regulations and informed the Council that for various reasons she will not be eligible for enrolment.

 

 

 

 

 

094.2/15

Footpaths – CC reported that Jo Hudson has cut the hedge back on the Quarry Lane pavement - complete

 

 

 

 

 

097.1/15

Speed Indicator Dates information – the Clerk had distributed information to Councillors - complete

 

 

 

 

 

106.1.2/15

Planning Application 2015/2981/FUL – the Clerk had requested an extension for response - complete

 

 

 

 

107.3/15

Precept – the precept request had been sent to MDC - complete

 

 

 

 

108.3/15

New Cemetery – CC had instructed Harris & Harris to inform Mr Brook’s solicitors that the Council were willing to pay the asking price for the land on the understanding that Mr Brook would pay his own solicitors expenses. A positive reply has been received.

 

 

 

 

109.3/15

Heritage at Risk Register – the Clerk had responded as agreed at the previous meeting - complete

 

 

 

 

110.3.3/15

Finger Posts – CC reported that his enquiry to Highways regarding repainting finger posts had been sent to the Traffic Division.  A response is awaited - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

110.8.3/15

Article on Quarry for magazine – DS had submitted a report to the Village Connection and Tarmac were delighted with this.  The article will be used in their company magazine.

 

 

 

 

113.1/15

New guidance on procurement – The Clerk had sent this to CC – complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

113.1/15

Letter from TC Advisors reference traffic incident on 27 April 2015 – this has been passed to SCC Highways to be dealt with - complete

 

 

 

 

113.1/15

Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations – the Clerk has sent the details to the other village organisations and is awaiting responses - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

119/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

119.1/15

District Council - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Wind turbines – Torr 4 have been turned down as well as two smaller turbines on the edge of West Pennard

 

 

·                     Register of Interests – now on the Mendip website

 

 

·                     Defibrillator – Holcombe are now interested and have asked for contact details

 

 

·                     Presentation on the rejuvenation of Frome/Radstock railway.  Trains running within three years between pipe works and Mells.  New station at the rear of the Cheese and Grain.  Possible link to Westbury.  Cycle track will remain

 

 

 

 

119.2/15

District Council - PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     MDC is reviewing its Council Tax debt collection procedures where vulnerable people and families with children are involved, and to only use bailiffs as an absolute last resort

 

 

·                     District Precept to go up by 1.75%

 

 

·                     Funding has been secured for housing Syrian refugees with two families coming to Frome soon.

 

 

·                     Travellers site at Moorlands, Glastonbury.  Has been open for several years and could become permanent if no action is taken – the land is earmarked for development

 

 

·                     Frome Independent Sunday Market had to be cancelled because of issues with parking and health and safety.  A new plan has been completed and the market will reopen in April.

 

 

·                     PH has been involved in a paper regarding security and terrorism.

 

 

·                     PH has the portfolio for transformation.  MDC is working with five other councils sharing services such as IT, HR, land searches etc.  Capita have the overall contract.

 

 

 

 

119.3/15

County Council - PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Was informed that the new road signs were ready but have not been installed – will chase

 

 

PH

 

·                     County Precept will rise to cover increases for the police, and fire service and a contribution to the Somerset Rivers Authority.

 

 

·                     Full Council passed the devolution bill to go to National Government

 

 

·                     Further news on Hinckley C likely soon

 

 

·                     Flooding problems on the levels – the procedures put in place since 2014 seem to be working

 

 

 

 

119.4/15

CC asked PH for an update on the following:

 

 

 

 

119.4.1/15

Mobile Telephone masts – PH has been lobbying various people, including David Warburton, MP, on this subject with very little progress.  The new mast at Egford, Frome may improve coverage

 

 

 

 

119.4.2/15

Enforcement – CC asked whether the issues regarding Leigh-on-Mendip should be sent through again now that the system is working better.  AT asked that CC provide him with a list and he will speak to Enforcement.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

119.4.3/15

Bus Subsidy for service 162 – a decision will be made in May about the future of this service.  Since the consultation work at the end of 2015 several services have been saved but there are others which are at risk.  PH will update the Council when further information is available.

 

 

 

 

120/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

120.1/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

120.1.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

120.1.2/15

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement. AT gave a brief update on discussions about this within MDC.

 

 

 

 

120.1.3/15

2015/2338/REM –12 dwellings on land south of Park Hayes – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

120.2/15

New application

 

 

 

 

120.2.1/15

2015/2981/FUL – Change of use from holiday let to dwelling (retrospective application) at the Barn,  Manor Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr P Neilsen

 

 

 

 

120.2.2/15

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded PF and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the application.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

120.3/15

Pump Track – it was noted that the revised drawings and application have been submitted to MDC for the pump track. 

 

 

 

 

121/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

121.1/15

Financial Statement - the statement to 15.02.16 was approved.

 

 

 

 

121.2/15

Grant for Mendip Community Transport – this was discussed and it was proposed by DM, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to send £50.  CC agreed to draft a letter to go with the cheque to request an improved Slinky Bus service.. 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

121.3/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for January 2016 - £176.27

Payscale 19

 

 

·             SLCC Annual Membership – annual subscription cost of £103 to be shared with Witham Friary PC £51.50

 

 

 

 

122/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

122.1/15

The transfer of the land is progressing.

 

 

 

 

122.2/15

Grass Cutting Contract – it was proposed by CC, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to ask Mr A Cross to carry out the grass cutting in the churchyard and cemetery for 2016.  The Clerk will write to Mr. Cross

Clerk

 

 

 

122.3/15

Gravestones – The Clerk mentioned that in the recent quinquennial report by the Church architect, several gravestones were identified as being in need of remedial work.  The Clerk will contact MDC about this.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk has reported the state of the path to MDC but will chase a response

 

Clerk

 

 

 

122.5/15

Access to the church from the public walkway – it was reported that the access via the steps from the public walkway is becoming dangerous because the grouting between the flagstones is deteriorating.  CC will look into this and raise it with Highways if necessary.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

123/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

123.1/15

PCSO – minutes of the PACT meeting on 7 January had been received which includes the PCSO mobile telephone numbers.  The Police are considering attendance at the local village Fair days. 

 

 

 

 

123.2/15

Footpaths – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

123.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

123.3.1/15

There is a collapsed conduit at Pitten Street and potholes at Whitehole Hill which have been reported.

 

 

 

 

123.3.2/15

The sweeper attended but was too early.  CC telephoned and it was agreed that the sweeper would come back later.  An apology was received.  We will be advised of the schedule for the rest of the year.

 

 

 

 

 

123.4/15

Recreation Field – VT attended the most recent meeting.  The Management Committee have now sourced some goalposts.

 

 

 

 

123.5/15

Memorial Hall – Saturday 19 March Annual Tarmac Quiz night.  Raffle prizes are required.  DM will send information regarding the 100 Club to VT, AB, GN and PF.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

123.6/15

School – their new ‘Frog’ bins have arrived and are proving popular with the children.  A note of thanks has been received from the school for the continued support of the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

123.7/15

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

123.8/15

Quarry

 

 

 

 

123.8.1/15

DS had visited again recently to deliver and get the annual subscriptions for the magazine.  The company were very pleased with the article which DS had submitted.  The company will have an enhanced presence at the Village Fair this year, with a marquee and a display so that the village is aware of the new application which will be made in the autumn.  The road from the top lane to the farmhouse is being reinstated so that visitors no longer have to enter via the main entrance and be subject to the safety procedures.

 

 

 

 

124/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

124.1/15

Parish Information Surgeries to take place on 8 March at Draycott Village Hall in the afternoon and 10 March at Wanstrow Village Hall from 5 – 7.00 p.m.   Next Rural Forum 14 April.

 

 

 

 

124/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

124.1/15

Clean for the Queen Litterpick, Saturday 5 March from 2.00 p.m. (run by the WI)

 

 

 

 

125/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

125.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·           Frome Town Council invitation to an event on 23 February (Clerk and Chair) – social event with information about such things as grant budgets.

 

 

·           SALC – Training for Councillors/Clerks – free event for Clerks on 13 April which the Clerk will attend.

 

 

·           SALC Smaller Authorities Audit Appointments – information regarding new audit arrangements commencing 01.04.2017

 

 

·           MDC – Parish Council Tax Support Grant £244.80

 

 

·           SLCC – Protecting your Society’s Future – constitutional changes.

 

 

·           SALC – Information from Office of National statistics

 

 

·           Zurich Insurance – request to quote for insurance in due course

 

 

 

·           Frome Town Council – New Frome Visitor Map and Guide and information No. 61

 

 

·           Email from a parishioner regarding ability for a relative to be buried in the cemetery – the Clerk will check the Cemetery rules.

 

 

Clerk

 

·           Request for cremation plaque in the cemetery

 

 

 

 

126/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

126.1/15

The next meeting will be on 21 March 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.