MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY MARCH 21  2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

127/15

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

127.1/15

No apologies received

 

 

 

 

128/15

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

128.1/15

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

129/15

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 JANUARY 2016

 

 

 

 

129.1/15

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 February 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman although it was noted that the name under item 119.4.1/15 should be ‘Egford’ and not ‘Edford’.

 

 

 

 

130/15

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 JANUARY

 

 

 

 

11.4

 (APCM)

Item 11.4 Reviews of insurance cover – DM reported that he has reviewed the insurance with Alan Nicklin as requested.  It was noted that the PC does not have cover for fences and gates within its insurance at the moment and this may need to be considered at the point of renewal.  Thanks were extended to Alan Nicklin for his assistance - complete

 

 

 

 

 

027.1.3/15

Siting of Dog Bin – DS reported that the dog bin has been relocated next to the Memorial Hall and thanks are extended to Alan Dagger for providing the post.  The Landscape Group (MDC) have been informed of the new position of the bin and laminated notices have been produced to inform the public of the new position.  DS reported that there has been some poo bags left near Corner Cottage on the verge and he will keep a watch on the situation.  GN offered to place a laminated notice somewhere suitable in the vicinity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GN

 

 

 

029.1.115

Adopt a Path – VT has emailed DS with a list of the paths she will adopt - complete

 

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance cover - The public liability situation around the closed churchyard is not resolved and an answer is awaited from MDC about its insurance cover.   It was agreed to raise this with Alan Townsend (AT) and Philip Ham (PH) - ongoing

 

 

 

AT/PH

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – it was noted that SCC Traffic Management are aware of the problem of the signage at the Soho/Coleford crossroads and a report is awaited.  The new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied.  It was agreed to raise this issue with PH.

 

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

110.3.3/15

Finger Posts – CC had received a response from Highways stating that SCC have limited resources to dedicate to the restoration of finger posts and therefore are willing for Town and Parish Councils who wish to take ownership of the repair and maintenance of the finger posts to appoint contractors.  However in the case of Leigh-on-Mendip the plan would be to use volunteers.   It was agreed that CC would email SCC and ask them about using volunteers and any training required.  The Clerk will contact the insurance company to make sure that volunteers are covered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

113.1/15

Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations – the Clerk had received responses from the village organisations.  It was generally accepted that because of the proximity to the date of the Fair there is little appeal to have another event.  However the school are probably having a tea party and making bonnets for the occasion.  It was suggested that the Fair could be linked to the 90th birthday celebrations in some way.  The Clerk will mention this at the next Fair Committee meeting

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

119.4.2/15

Enforcement – CC has provided AT with a list of enforcement issues - complete

 

 

 

 

121.2/15

Grant to Mendip Community Transport – CC had drafted a letter to be sent and a cheque for £50 will be raised - complete

 

 

 

 

122.2/15

Grass Cutting Contract – Churchyard and cemetery – the Clerk had contacted Mr Cross to confirm that he has been awarded the contract for 2016. 

 

 

 

 

122.3/15

Gravestones - the Clerk had contacted MDC about the hazardous state of some of the gravestones in the churchyard as identified by the architect’s quinquennial report.  The Clerk has been asked by MDC to survey the gravestones and make a report which can be passed onto the Landscape Group.  Every endeavour will be made to contact families for any graves identified.  DM offered to assist the Clerk in undertaking the survey.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM/Clerk

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had spoken to MDC about the condition of the path which leads to the churchyard and cemetery.  MDC had passed this onto the Landscape Group for action but so far nothing had been done.  The Clerk will chase this.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

122.5/16

Access to the church from the public walkway – CC reported that Highways had agreed to repair the flagstones.  (Further discussed under Cemetery Matters).

 

 

 

 

123.5/15

Memorial Hall 100 Club – DM had sent the information to VT, AB, GN and PF - complete

 

 

 

 

125.1/15

Cemetery burial rules – the Clerk had checked the rules and regulations for the Cemetery.  There is no restriction on parishioner’s relatives being buried or having their ashes interred in the cemetery.  It was noted that the contact details within the rules and regulations need to be updated.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

131/15

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

131.1/15

There were no reports available

 

 

 

 

132/15

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

132.1/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

132.1.1/15

2015/1209/FUL – change of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

132.1.2/15

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

132.1.3/15

2015/2338/REM –12 dwellings on land south of Park Hayes - this application has been approved with some design changes incorporated.  Issues specific to this case and some relating to the process have been identified.  AT/PH will give these consideration and report back.

 

 

 

 

AT/PH

 

 

 

132.2/15

New application

 

 

 

 

132.2.1/15

2016/0262/LBC – The repositioning of barn D in the setting of Rookery Farmhouse and yard to form a conference room, visitors centre and external works to the Farmhouse at Rookery Farmhouse, Halecombe Quarry, Leigh-on-Mendip for Tarmac Ltd

 

 

 

 

132.2.2/15

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by PF, seconded VT and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the application.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

132.3/15

Pump Track (2014/0566) – a decision date of 25 March has been set for this application. 

 

 

 

 

133/15

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

133.1/15

Financial Statement - the statement to 21.03.16 was approved.

 

 

 

 

133.2/15

Queen’s 90th Birthday Commemorative Medal – the Clerk had received details and a sample of a commemorative medal which Councils have an opportunity to purchase.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by GN and agreed unanimously not to take this any further

 

 

 

 

133.3/15

NS&I Interest – the Clerk has contacted NS&I and they are sending a duplicate copy detailing the interest paid for 2015.

 

 

 

 

133.4/15

VAT Refund – the Clerk confirmed that a VAT refund request has been submitted

 

 

 

 

133.5/16

Auditor – The Clerk will speak to R Blunden regarding auditing the Council accounts for 2015/16

 

 

 

 

133.6/15

S137 – the application of S137 monies was discussed and it was considered that the grant to Mendip Community Transport and the purchase of the noticeboard would fall under this category.  The Clerk will check the guidance in the Good Councillor Guide.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

133.7/15

Noticeboard – the new noticeboard has been made and installed by Simon Thomas.  A cheque for £1400 in payment has been signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

133.8/15

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for February 2016 - £176.27

Payscale 19

 

 

·             Mendip Community Transport – grant £50.00

 

 

 

 

134/15

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

134.1/15

Cemetery Fees – the Clerk had updated the cemetery fees in line with the Church of England Parochial Fees.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to adopt these fees for the cemetery.

 

 

 

 

134.2/15

New Cemetery – CC reported that a plan with a red outline and Land Registry stamp has been received from the solicitors which identifies the land correctly.  It was noted that there may be a main drain within the plot which will need to be accessed when the work to install a toilet and kitchen in the church is undertaken.

 

 

 

 

134.3/15

Church Steps – the condition of the flagstones on the church steps was discussed and it was noted that three are cracked.  Highways are prepared to repair these or replace with similar flags and repoint making sure that appropriate materials are used.  It was noted that the damage may be occurring because vehicles are driving across to access the dropped kerb.  It was agreed to write to gravediggers, the grass cutting contractors and the Landscape Group stating that repairs are to be carried out to the damaged flagstones and asking that they do not drive across the steps.  The Clerk will draft a letter and send it to CC for approval.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

135/15

PURCHASE OF DEFIBRILLATOR/S

 

 

 

 

135.1/15

DM reported that CRISP (Community Resilience in Somerset Project) had agreed some funding towards the defibrillator but the exact sum is unknown.  It is hoped to have enough to purchase at least one defibrillator to be installed at the Memorial Hall and if funding allows another defibrillator to be installed at the Recreation Field.  It was noted that the Hall and Recreation Field Committee need to be informed and the Hall had already offered a contribution by providing the electricity required.  VT will speak to the Recreation Field Management Committee.

 

 


VT

 

 

 

135.2/15

It was noted that a contribution towards the purchase had been received from the Short Mat Bowls Club and the Clerk will provide a receipt. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

135.3/15

It was agreed that as soon as the funding is secured contact can be made with AED Locator to inform them.  Contact also has to be made with SWAST.

 

DM

 

 

 

136/15

AMENDMENT TO STANDING ORDERS TO MEET THE LATEST PUBLIC CONTRACT REGULATIONS

 

 

 

 

136.1/15

It was proposed by DN, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to adopt the amended Standing Orders as presented by CC.

 

 

 

 

137/15

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

137.1/15

PCSO – the next PACT meeting takes place in May. 

 

 

 

 

137.2/15

Footpaths – DS reported that there was a broken stile by Ham Farm and this will be mentioned to Mendip Ramblers.  It was noted that all footpaths have now been adopted and the system is working well.  The footpath through Barnsclose was noted as being obstructed by large brambles and DS will report this.  It was noted that landowners need to be reminded to reinstate footpaths when ploughing their land.  Leaflets were distributed last year and this will be done again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

137.3/15

Highways

 

 

 

 

137.3.1/15

SCC have reported that pavements in the village are to be resurfaced later in the year. 

 

 

 

 

137.3.2/15

In June/July Highways will be working on the drainage at Townsend to prevent flooding into Townsend Cottage.  They will also be fixing the culvert at the end of Pitten Street.

 

 

 

 

 

137.3.3/15

Sweeper – new dates for the year are on the website.  GN will help with leafleting when necessary.

 

 

 

 

137.4/15

Recreation Field – VT reported that the pump track is now making progress.  The AGM will take place on 11 April at which the nominal rent to the Parish Council should be paid.  Plans for the planting of flowers on the field edges are continuing.  The goalposts are proving very popular.

 

 

 

 

137.5/15

Memorial Hall – the annual tidy up will take place on 7 May.  The annual quiz took place on 19 March and was well attended.

 

 

 

 

 

 

137.6/15

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

137.7/15

SALC – the Clerk will check the website to see if there is anything new to report.  The Clerk will be attending a free session for Clerks on 13 April

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

137.8/15

Quarry - DS had made a routine visit.  The liaison meeting had been postponed and had not yet been rescheduled.

 

 

 

 

138/15

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

138.1/15

Nothing to consider

 

 

 

 

139/15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Clerks Session 13 April in Somerton

 

 

·                  Rural Forum 14 April – GN will attend

 

 

·                  Neighbourhood Planning Forum 12 April

 

 

 

 

140/15

NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

140.1/15

CC will make a first draft of the annual Parish Council newsletter for the meeting in April.  If there is anything which Councillors feel should be included please inform CC. 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

141/15

ANNUAL MEETING

 

 

 

 

141.1/15

The annual parish meeting will take place on 16 May.  The Clerk will email both the Chair of the Memorial Hall and Recreation Field Committees to invite them to give their reports.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

142/15

COMMUNITY FIELD

 

 

 

 

142.1/15

The possibility of the purchase of a piece of land in the village for use as a community field was discussed and CC was asked to pursue enquiries.

 

CC

 

 

 

143/15

ASSET REGISTER/RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

143.1/15

VT agreed to look at the asset register which will need to be updated for the audit.  DM will look at risk assessment and the actions arising from that.

 

 

VT/DM

 

 

 

144/15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

144.1/15

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·           Somerset Day – 11 May.  Information on this had been received from Somerset County Council with events being planned around the County or over the following weekend.  It was noted that representatives from LOMCA will be present at a Somerset wide event in Bridgwater on 11 May which will celebrate the work done in Somerset by the voluntary community for the older person. 

 

 

·           Avon and Somerset Crime Commissioner newsletter

 

 

·           Frome Town Council fortnightly update

 

 

·           Frome Town Council Planning Advisory Group meeting

 

 

·           MDC Neighbourhood Planning Forum 12 April 6.30 p.m. at MDC

 

 

·           SWP March 2016 briefing and recycling and refuse collections – Bank Holiday changes

 

 

·           Community Council for Somerset – information about membership

 

 

 

·           SALC – S137 figure for 2016/17 is £7.42

 

 

·           Chairman’s Communication No. 3 from Smaller Authorities Audit Appointments 2016

 

 

·           SALC – Parish Council Surgeries took place on 8 and 10 March

 

 

·           Email from Zoe Brooks PCSO regarding the villages she covers and asking for information about meeting dates

 

 

·           SCC – change of date of SID

 

 

·           MDC email regarding planning enforcement contact details

 

 

·           Somerset Community Foundation – concert at Wells Cathedral 15 April at 7.30 p.m.

 

 

·           Built Environment Group Newsletter from MDC

 

 

·           Alan Davies, Westonzoyland Pumping Station Museum – in steam Easter weekend

 

 

·           Grant Thornton – deadline for Audit return is 1 July 2016.

 

 

 

 

145/15

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

145.1/15

The next meeting will be on 18 April 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall Committee Room.  Apologies received from VT and DS