MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 JUNE 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Three members of the public for item 008.2/16

 

 

 

 

 

 

001/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

001.1/16

Apologies were received from Vicki Trundle (VT), Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT) and Philip Ham (PH) District and County Councillor

 

 

 

 

002/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

002.1/16

PF declared an interest in item 009.4/16 (approval of highways training course) and DM declared an interest in item 009.05/16 (grant for Memorial Hall).   There were no other declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

003/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 APRIL 2016

 

 

 

 

003.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 April 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman

 

 

 

 

004/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 APRIL

 

 

 

 

147/15

Councillor Vacancies – a notice of vacancies had been posted on the noticeboards and an advertisement placed in the village magazine.

 

 

 

 

061.1/15

Insurance Cover – this item is now complete

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - the new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied.  PH has been in contact with Highways and they will be supplying new signs as soon as possible

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

110.3.3/15

Finger Posts – training requirements discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

 

113.1/15

Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebrations – as suggested a link to the 90th birthday celebrations was made at the Fair where the children’s art competition theme was to paint a picture of the Queen.

 

 

 

 

122.3/15

Gravestones – discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had notified MDC about the condition of the path which leads to the churchyard and cemetery and had spoken to the Landscape Group also.  So far there has been no response.  The Clerk will chase this - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

125.1/15

Cemetery burial rules – It was noted that the contact details within the rules and regulations need to be updated.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

132.1.2/15

2015/2338/REM –12 dwellings on land south of Park Hayes – a response had been received from the planning officer regarding the S106 process – complete.

 

 

 

 

133.6/15

S137 – CC and the Clerk had discussed this - complete

 

 

 

 

134.3/15

Church Steps – it was agreed to write to gravediggers, the grass cutting contractors and the Landscape Group stating that repairs are to be carried out to the damaged flagstones and asked that they do not drive across the steps.  The Clerk will draft a letter and send it to CC for approval. 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

137.2/15

Footpaths – leaflets have been distributed to landowners - complete

 

 

 

 

14215

Community Field – a reply is awaited from the landowner - ongoing

 

 

 

 

143/15

Asset Register – the asset register needs to be updated for the audit - ongoing.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

152.1.2/15

2016/0606/FUL – Erection of stable building on land rear of Fern Cottage – the Clerk had informed MDC of the decision of the Council

 

 

 

 

152.2.2/15

2016/0717/HSE Proposed extensions and associated alterations at Hollybush Cottage, Knapp Hill – the Clerk had informed MDC of the decision of the Council.

 

 

 

 

153.4/15

Costs for maintenance of finger posts – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

153.5.3/15

Defibrillator – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

155.1/15

Annual Newsletter – the Clerk had copied the newsletter and this has since been distributed.

 

 

 

 

156/15

Application for Unicare Pharmacy at Coleford – CC had written to NHS England support Mendip Country Practice in opposing the application

 

 

 

 

157.3/15

Support for the PCC/FOLC – the Clerk had drafted a letter of support which had subsequently been sent to the PCC.

 

 

 

 

158.5/15

Memorial Hall – grant for refurbishment of flooring – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

158.7/15

SALC – the Clerk will ask SALC again if there are any copies of presentations made at the free session for Clerks which was held on 13 April.

 

 

 

 

005/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 18 MAY 2016

 

 

 

 

6.2 (APCM)

Change of bank – the Clerk to investigate whether the bank account can be moved from the Frome to the Midsomer Norton branch of National Westminster

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

11.1 (APCM)

Planning – 2016/0966/FUL – Installation of dual fuel generators and associated infrastructure on land at Soho Farm, Soho, Leigh-on-Mendip – the Clerk had informed MDC of the decision of the Council.

 

 

 

 

12.2 (APCM)

Balance sheet and asset register – it was agreed that these documents should be put on the website

 

CC

 

 

 

13.2 (APCM)

New Cemetery – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

13.3 (APCM)

Pharmacy – Coleford – a second application for a pharmacy at Coleford had been received and the same response letter had been sent to NHS England supporting Mendip Country Practice in opposing the application.

 

 

 

 

13.4 (APCM)

Defibrillator – discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

13.5 (APCM)

Gravestone survey – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

13.8 (APCM)

Co-option – see under item 004/16 Matters Arising of these minutes

 

 

 

 

006/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM GENERAL PUBLIC QUESTIONS AT THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING ON 18 MAY 2016

 

 

 

 

 

1 (APM)

Footpaths – DS has informed the landowner of the name of the sponsor responsible for the footpath which runs across his land

 

 

 

 

2 (APM)

PACT Meetings – the Council had agreed to consider the possibility of representation at PACT meetings.  The decision was made to attend if there is an issue in the village.  CC will ask the PCSO about publicising these meetings in the village magazine as they are open to the general public.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

3 (APM)

Neighbourhood Watch – CC had passed information on to the parishioner who had raised this subject.

 

 

 

 

007/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

007.1/16

In the absence of both AT and PH no reports were available

 

 

 

 

007.2/16

PH had sent a note to CC and reported that SCC Highways have revisited Soho and will be changing the HGV sign there as soon as possible.  With reference to the quarry liaison meeting no date is yet forthcoming.

 

 

 

 

008/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

 

New Application

 

 

 

 

008.1/16

2016/1126/FUL reposition of Barn D in the setting of Rookery Farmhouse and yard to form a conference room, visitors centre, toilets and first aid room at Rookery Farmhouse, Halecombe Quarry, for Tarmac Ltd

 

 

 

 

008.1.2/16

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to recommend approval.  The Clerk will inform MDC of the decision

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

008.2/16

2016/1441/FUL Two new dwellings – land at Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mark Moss

 

 

 

 

008.2.1/16

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to recommend approval with the caveat that the tiles used must be double roman or plain terracotta in accordance with the village design statement and the shower room window on plot 2 should be obscure glaze for the privacy of neighbours.  It was also observed that there appears to be a significant difference in levels between the highway and the permeable parking area.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

008.3/16

2016/1467/APP Approval of details reserved by condition 6 (storage and disposal of waste) relating to 2016/0606/FUL the erection of stable building including feed/tack store and haybarn on land to rear of Fern Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip - no information had been received on this application.

 

 

 

 

008.4/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

008.4.1/16

2015/1209/FULchange of use of existing disused quarry and construction of three holiday lets at Whitehole Farm Quarry for Mr John Patch – approved with conditions

 

 

 

 

008.4.2/16

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

008.4.3/16

2016/0606/FUL Erection of stable building including feed/tack store and hay barn (resubmission) on land rear of Fern Cottage for Mr. Malcolm Young - approved

 

 

 

 

008.4.4/16

2016/0717/HSE Proposed two storey side and rear extensions and associated alterations (resubmission of application 2012/0886) at Hollybush Cottage, Knapp Hill for Mr Chris Gould - approved

 

 

 

 

008.4.5/16

Pump Track (2014/0566) – approved.

 

 

 

 

008.4.6/16

2016/0966/FUL – Installation of dual fuel generators and associated infrastructure on land at Soho Farm, Soho, Leigh-on-Mendip – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

009/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

009.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 20.06.16 was approved. 

 

 

 

 

009.2/16

Annual Return/Governance Statement – the annual return and governance statement was completed and signed.

 

 

 

 

009.3/16

Internal Audit – it was proposed by DS and seconded by CC and agreed unanimously to send an amount of £30 to the internal auditor with a letter thanking him for this work.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

009.4/16

Approval of highways training course – CC reported that the cost of the training was £162 plus VAT plus the mileage rate.  The Clerk will check the amount of the mileage rate. The course will take place on 12 July.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to go ahead with this.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk/CC

 

 

 

009.5/16

Grant for Memorial Hall – it was proposed by DS, seconded by CC and agreed unanimously to grant the Hall £200 towards the cost of refurbishing the flooring in the toilets.

 

 

 

 

009.6/16

Grant for ‘A’ Boards – a suggestion had been made at a recent FOLC meeting to ask the Parish Council for a grant for weatherproof advertising boards which could be displayed along the main roads for use by any village organisation.  A member of FOLC who lives in the village had agreed to provide storage for them.  It was agreed that a specification is required and the Clerk will approach a member of FOLC who offered to obtain this information.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

009.7/16

Defibrillator expenses – DM reported that both cabinets have now been installed and are linked to SWAST.  The next step will be for AED Locator to come and provide some information and training.  DM will be sending off to register as the guardian but will need someone else to do this whilst he is away.

 

 

 

 

009.8/16

It was agreed that the Clerk would place an article in the magazine informing the village of the installation of the defibrillators and asking for names from people who are interested in attending the training.  The Clerk will also contact LOMCA, the WI, Recreation Field Management Committee, Memorial Hall Committee, PCC, FOLS, Owl Babies, Toddlers Group and the Bellringers about the training asking for names of people who would attend to represent the various groups.  Information about the training will also be put on the Facebook page and the website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

009.9/16

NSI – the Clerk had received a letter from NS&I giving details of changes to the variable interest rates on 6 June and 1 July 2016.

 

 

 

 

009.10/16

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for May 2016 - £184.92

Payscale 20 (the recent National Salary Award was noted)

 

 

·             Mr R Blunden - £30 (internal audit)

 

 

·             Memorial Hall Management Committee - £200 (grant towards refurbishment of toilet floors).

 

 

 

 

009.11/16

Bank Mandate – it was noted that this will need to be updated.  The Clerk will issue mandate forms to PF and VT.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

010/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

010.1/16

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

010.1.1/16

CC reported that Wessex Water had surveyed the site and confirmed the exact route of the sewer pipe and the restricted area.  The pipe runs the length of the plot, 2m in from the west boundary and Wessex Water have rights of access. This means that an area 2m either side of the pipe will be unavailable for graves or cremation ashes. The result is that 140 m2 of land is lost for use as a cemetery (approx. 44% of the total area).

 

 

 

 

010.1.2/16

CC had written to the vendors solicitors and copied the vendor stating that whilst the Parish Council was still keen to purchase the land at the agreed price, the Council would now be unable to accept the proposed Restrictive Covenant (“..shall not use the Land or permit it to be used otherwise than as a cemetery or garden of remembrance”).

The Parish Council would accept a restriction amended to  “…shall not use the Land or permit it to be used otherwise than for community use.”   or deletion of the restriction altogether.   A response is awaited.

 

 

 

 

010.2/16

Gravestone Survey

 

 

 

 

010.2.1/16

The Clerk presented a report following the gravestone survey which she had undertaken with the help of the Churchwarden and DM.  It was agreed that the Clerk will write to those families who are contactable informing them of the nature of the problem and enquiring whether they would be prepared to undertake repairs to their family gravestones. 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

010.2.2/16

The Clerk will also speak to MDC and suggest that the person in charge of closed churchyards should attend a meeting at the church so that the areas of concern can be pointed out.  This will include at least two gravestones which are considered of historic interest, the state of the walls and also to enquire about the replacement of the stone slab outside the priest door which is a health and safety issue, the Priests door is a nominated fire exit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

010.3/16

SUPPORT TO FOLC

 

 

 

 

010.3.1/16

It was noted that a further letter of support is required by FOLC similar to that provided earlier in the year.  The Clerk will draft this letter.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

011/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

011.1/16

PCSO – a finger from the fingerpost has been stolen from the end of Pitten Street – this has been reported.

 

 

 

 

011.2/16

Footpaths – DS stated that the Barnsclose footpath had been reported as overgrown again but a gentleman from Mendip Ramblers had arrived to strim the overgrowth.  Two or three stiles have been reported as needing repair.  The Clerk reported that a footpath marker in the recreation field had been pulled out and was thrown into the hedge.  The Clerk will report this to the Recreation Field Management Committee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

011.3/16

Highways – pavement resurfacing is being done.

 

 

 

 

011.4/16

Recreation Field – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

011.5/16

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

011.6/16

School – PF is now the school representative.  The Clerk will send her the Chair of Governor’s email address.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

011.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

011.8/16

Quarry – DS reported that the expected display by the quarry of the forthcoming planning application at the Village Fair had not happened.  DS also reported that the Recreation Field Management Committee have approached Tarmac regarding materials for the pump track.  Tarmac have also agreed to refurbish the quarry classroom canopy. 

 

 

 

 

012/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

012.1/16

Rural Forum Meeting to take place on 13 July at 6.00 p.m.  DS offered to attend.

 

DS

 

 

 

013/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

013.1/16

None noted.

 

 

 

 

014/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

014.1/16

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

·           Somerset Road Safety – free event for senior drivers – Clerk to send to LOMCA

 

Clerk

 

·           Built Environment Group Newsletter – to be distributed

Clerk

 

·           SLCC/NALC 2016-2018 National Salary Award information

 

 

·           Mendip Country Practice – letter from Practice Manager regarding the second application for a pharmacy in Coleford

 

 

·           MDC – Council Support grant – cessation of grant

 

 

·           Somerset Wildlife Trust – project to discuss ideas for further habitat restoration work within the parish.  Workshop taking place on Wednesday 6 July at the Earth Science Centre, Stoke St Michael from 7.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m. – the Clerk to distribute information.  DS hoped to attend

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·           PCSO report from Rural North Beat – to be distributed

Clerk

 

·           SALC – training places available – Clerk to send to PF and VT

 

Clerk

 

·           SLCC – Somerset branch meeting of the SLCC in Wedmore

 

 

·           Playcrete – outdoor concrete table tennis tables available

 

 

 

·           Association of Local Council Clerks – invitation to join a trade union– free for the first year and then £10 thereafter – the Clerk to decide whether she wants to join or not

 

 

Clerk

 

·           Somerset Rivers Authority – latest edition of the Stream – to be distributed

 

Clerk

 

·           Somerset CC Highways – notice of road closure at Stock Hill, Coleford from 4 July for 12 days – to be distributed

 

Clerk

 

·           SALC – Legal topic Notes updated – LTC 41 responsibilities of Councils as landowners and LTN 60 copies of planning documents – send to CC

 

 

Clerk

 

·           MDC Affordable Housing Events on Thursday 21 July at Wells Town Hall 3.00 – 7.00 p.m.

 

 

·           Somerset CC - Listening Learning, Changing events – survey questions and questionnaire.

 

 

 

 

015/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

015.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 18 July 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.