MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 JULY 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

 

 

 

0016/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0016.1/16

Apologies were received from David Mattick (DM)

 

 

 

 

0017/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0017.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

0018/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 JUNE 2016

 

 

 

 

0018.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 June 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman

 

 

 

 

0019/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 JUNE

 

 

 

 

147/15

Councillor Vacancies – a notice of vacancies had been placed in the village magazine and on the website.  CC agreed to put something on the village facebook page.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - the new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied.  PH has been in contact with Highways again and has been promised that they will be supplied within the next month

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had notified MDC about the condition of the path which leads to the churchyard and cemetery and had spoken to the Landscape Group also.  So far there has been no response.  The Clerk will chase this - ongoing

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

125.1/15

Cemetery burial rules – It was noted that the contact details within the rules and regulations need to be updated.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

134.3/15

Church Steps – it was agreed that the Clerk will write to gravediggers, the grass cutting contractors and the Landscape Group stating that repairs have been made to the damaged flagstones and asking that they do not drive across the steps. 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

14215

Community Field – a reply is awaited from the landowner - ongoing

 

 

 

 

143/15

Asset Register – the asset register has been updated - complete

 

 

 

 

 

110..3.3/15

Finger posts – Chris Ingrem has now completed the training and will be scheduling the work on the finger posts.  Cones will be required and it was noted that there some available in the village.  Another parishioner has come forward to offer to strim around the bottom of the posts.

 

 

 

 

153.5.3/15

Defibrillator – the training is to be fixed for a date in September.  CC will contact AED Locator.  The Clerk will contact various village organisations to make them aware of the training date and ask for names of people to attend.  Information about the training will be put on the Facebook page and the village website.

 

 

 

 

 

CC/Clerk

 

 

 

158.7/15

SALC – the Clerk will ask SALC again if there are any copies of presentations made at the free session for Clerks which was held on 13 April.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.2 (APCM)

Change of bank – the Clerk has spoken to the Midsomer Norton branch of the National Westminster and ascertained that all necessary banking work can be carried out via that branch.

 

 

 

 

 

 

12.2 (APCM)

Balance sheet and asset register – these have been placed on the website – complete

 

 

 

 

 

2 (APM)

PACT Meetings – these meetings will be publicised in the magazine so that parishioners are aware of the date.  Councillors will attend only if there is an issue in the village.

 

 

 

 

008.1/16

2016/1126/FUL reposition of Barn D in the setting of Rookery Farmhouse and yard to form a conference room, visitors centre, toilets and first aid room at Rookery Farmhouse, Halecombe Quarry, for Tarmac Ltd – the Clerk had informed MDC of the decision of the Council

 

 

 

 

008.2.1/16

2016/1441/FUL Two new dwellings – land at Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mark Moss – the Clerk had informed MDC of the decision of the Council

 

 

 

 

009.3/16

Internal Audit – the Clerk had sent a cheque for £30 to the internal auditor thanking him for his work

 

 

 

 

122.3/15

Gravestone survey – discussed elsewhere in these minutes

 

 

 

 

010.3/16

Support to PCC/FOLC – a further letter of support is required which the Clerk will prepare

 

Clerk

 

 

 

009.11/16

Bank Mandate – VT to complete a form and return it to the Clerk

 

VT

 

 

 

011.2/16

Footpath Marker – Recreation Field – the Clerk will inform the Management Committee about the footpath marker which has been thrown into the hedge just inside the gate.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

011.6/16

School representative – the Clerk has provided PF with the school Chair of Governor’s email address.

 

 

 

 

014.1/16

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

The Clerk had distributed the following as agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Road Safety – to LOMCA

 

 

·                     Built Environment Newsletter – distributed

 

 

·                     Somerset Wildlife Trust event at the Earth Science Centre 6 July – distributed

 

 

·                     PCSO report from Rural North Beat – distributed

 

 

·                     SALC – training – information sent to PF and VT

 

 

·                     Association of Local Council Clerks – the Clerk to decide whether to join the Trade Union recently set up

 

 

·                     The Stream - distributed

 

 

·                     Notice of road closure – Stock Hill, Coleford - distributed

 

 

·                     SALC – Legal Topic Notes – sent to CC

 

 

 

 

020/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

020.1/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

 

 

 

The following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                     AT has been appointed Cabinet Assistant and will be allocated to a portfolio for a six months period

 

 

·                     Devolution package has been given the go ahead to the next stage

 

 

·                     Formal statement on race hate crime read out at Council which agreed unanimously to support this

 

 

·                     Two issues arose from the Rural Forum.  The first was street trading and licensing whereby more control will be exerted on who can trade and where

 

 

 

·                     Presentation about micro enterprises specially aimed at people who are hoping to set up small businesses in the caring sector particularly in isolated and remote communities.  The lead for this project is prepared to come and talk to Parish Councils.  It was noted that Somerset have won a National Award for setting this up as the first county to do so. 

 

 

·                     Planning Board will be discussing the proposed redevelopment of Shepton Mallet Prison

 

 

·                     21 July Affordable Housing Presentation in the Town Hall at Wells 2 – 7.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

020.2/16

Mendip District Council - PH

 

 

 

 

 

The following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Involved in the reorganisation of the workforce at MDC.  Cabinet now has six members with four assistants.

 

 

·                     PH still has transformation portfolio

 

 

·                     New fly tipping spot fine of £400 agreed

 

 

·                     Shape Mendip Lottery to help fund discretionary support to voluntary and community (VCS) organisations active in Mendip and to enable such organisations to raise funds directly for themselves. The proposal is for the Council to be an enabler and use the services of an External Lottery Manager (ELM) to run the lottery.  Project should commence in October/November.  All funds raised would be spent within the district and benefit local people and communities none of the proceeds will be returned to the Council.  The lottery will be self-funding, tickets will be £1 each and everything will be done electronically

 

 

·                     9 Syrian families have now been accommodated in Somerset with more children to come. 

 

 

·                     Mendip Migrant Workers Forum have noted a sharp rise in the incidence of hate crime since the referendum 

 

 

 

 

020.3/16

Somerset County Council – PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Quarry Liaison meeting – PH will persevere with trying to establish a date.  The minutes of the previous meeting held in October 2015 are still outstanding. 

 

 

·                     No further news on the Hinckley C

 

 

·                     Devolution is moving forward

 

 

·                     Work ongoing on the way that adult social care is dealt with in the county

 

 

·                     County Plan is still on course and will be carried out

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

021/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

021.1/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

021.1.1/16

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm – still awaiting S106 agreement.

 

 

 

 

021.1.2/16

2016/0966/FUL – Installation of dual fuel generators and associated infrastructure on land at Soho Farm, Soho, Leigh-on-Mendip – approved.

 

 

 

 

021.1.3/16

2016/1126/FUL reposition of Barn D in the setting of Rookery Farmhouse and yard to form a conference room, visitors centre, toilets and first aid room at Rookery Farmhouse, Halecombe Quarry, for Tarmac Ltd – approved

 

 

 

 

022/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

022.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 18.07.16 was approved. 

 

 

 

 

022.2/16

Grant for Events Boards – a suggestion had been made at a recent FOLC meeting to ask the Parish Council for a grant for weatherproof advertising boards which could be displayed along the main roads for use by any village organisation.  A quotation had now been obtained and it was proposed by CC, seconded DS, agreed unanimously to accept this and issue a cheque for the amount.

 

 

 

 

 

022.3/16

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Mr A Cross – grass cutting in the churchyard – half year payment £717.50

 

 

·             SALC – affiliation fee £130.10

 

 

·             HMRC – April to July £192.50

 

 

·             Millers Electricians – installation of defibrillator £462.00

 

 

·             PCC of Postlebury – photocopy £7.00

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for June 2016 - £241.13 Payscale 20

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for July 2016 - £201.98

 

 

·             Came & Co – insurance premium £338.21 (Note: this is a replacement cheque for one issued earlier which has gone astray)

 

 

·             TQ Excel – signing, lighting and guardian course - £194.40

 

 

·             Chris Ingrem – mileage payment to attend course £23.40

 

 

·             Signefex – Events Boards - £218.40

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

023/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

023.1/16

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

023.1.1/16

No further progress to report

 

 

 

 

023.2/16

Gravestone Survey

 

 

 

 

023.2.1/16

Following the gravestone survey the Clerk has been contacting those families who are contactable informing them of the nature of the problem and enquiring whether they would be prepared to undertake repairs to their family gravestones. 

 

 

 

 

 

023.2.2/16

The Clerk is also in contact with MDC to see if the person in charge of closed churchyards is prepared to attend a meeting at the church so that the areas of concern can be pointed out.  Points for discussion include at least two gravestones of historic interest, the state of the walls and also to enquire about the replacement of the stone slab outside the priest door which is a health and safety issue, the Priests door is a nominated fire exit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

024/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

024.1/16

PCSO – latest report distributed

 

 

 

 

024.2/16

Footpaths – path alongside Thrice Barn reported as overgrown.  This was reported and has been dealt with

 

 

 

 

024.3/16

Highways – pavement resurfacing is complete and church steps have now been completed satisfactorily.

 

 

 

 

024.4/16

Recreation Field – pump track anticipated start date at the beginning of September.  Removing of the old shed and building the new one will commence soon.  Applications for grants for funding are in.  Hoping to involve the school in the design of safety signs.

 

 

 

 

024.5/16

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

024.6/16

School – PF has made contact with the Chair of Governors and will follow this up in September.

 

 

 

 

024.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

024.8/16

Quarry – an article has been placed in the Village magazine.

 

 

 

 

025/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

025.1/16

Nothing to note

 

 

 

 

 

026/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

026.1/16

6 July – Somerset Wildlife Trust at the Earth Science Centre – DS attended.  Discussed ideas for further habitat restoration work in the parish.  DS suggested in and around the solar farm and the Trust are trying to make contact with Mells Park.  DS also suggested that landowners could be contacted about this project. 

 

 

 

 

026.2/16

Rural Forum 13 July – DS attended.  Discussions around street trading and particularly those traders who work in laybys.  A trial is to be undertaken whereby control of these traders is passed to local parish councils.

 

 

 

 

026.3/16

PACT Meeting – next meeting 13 September, 7.30 p.m. at the Clifford Site, Beckington

 

026.3/16

Rural Forum – next meeting 18 October

 

 

 

 

027/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

027.1/16

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

·           CCS Supporting Action in your Community – 6 October – Community Buildings Networking and Training event (a.m.) in the afternoon free workshop about the Community Infrastructure Levy

 

 

·           PCSO Frome Rural North Beat – report distributed

 

 

·           SALC Planning Sessions – 13 October – Town Planning from the Parish and Town Council perspective, 7 December Negotiate a Better Outcome in Planning, 2 February – You Need a Good Strategy!

 

 

·           SCC – Public Health 0 Protect your child in the sun

 

 

·           Affordable Housing Day Event, 21 July, Wells Town Hall

 

 

·           SCC – Chairman’s Awards – nomination sought for Chairman’s Award for Service to the Community (20 October) deadline for nominations 2 September

 

 

·           Gypsy and Traveller Count (MDC) – returned a NIL count

 

 

·           SCC – Public Health 0 JSNA (Joint Strategic Needs Assessment 2016 available)

 

 

 

 

028/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

015.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 19 September 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.