MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 19 SEPTEMBER 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

John Lapwood, Village Agent and wife (item

 

 

 

033/16)

 

 

 

Graham Harris (item 034/16)

 

 

 

 

 

 

0030/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0030.1/16

Apologies were received from Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

0031/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0031.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

0032/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 JULY 2016 AND 16 AUGUST 2016

 

 

 

 

0032.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 July 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.  The minutes of the Extraordinary Meeting held on 16 August 2016 were also agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman

 

 

 

 

033/16

PRESENTATION FROM JOHN LAPWOOD, VILLAGE AGENT

 

 

 

 

033.1/16

John Lapwood the new Village Agent for Leigh-on-Mendip gave a short presentation on his role in the village and provided posters and flyers for distribution as necessary.  The Clerk stated that she had already spoken to the new Village Agent for Stoke St Michael who had requested that her details were inserted into the Village Magazine and the Clerk asked Mr Lapwood to provide his information so that these too can be inserted in the magazine. It was noted that regular updates will be provided for inclusion in the magazine by the agents.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

033.2/16

Mr and Mrs Lapwood were thanked for attending and left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

034/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

034.1/16

This item was brought forward on the agenda in order to discuss the provision of Utility Services to St Giles’ Church.

 

 

 

 

034.2/16

CC reported that he had responded to an email from the Solicitor.  As a result of the position of the sewage pipe a retraction of the cemetery restriction was being sought.  It was understood that a restrictive covenant was not enforceable and that this would be replaced by an uplift clause. 

 

 

 

 

034.3/16

It has been established that 44% of the land cannot be used for burial or cremation ashes and the Council wish therefore to keep their options open for the future but would have no intention of selling that land.

 

 

 

 

034.4/16

GH presented a short paper on the provision of utility services to the church where it will be necessary to provide water and sewerage services.  Options have been discussed and given the close proximity of a Wessex Water main sewer, disposal of waste water has been agreed by this route.  The recommended route for the new pipework/cabling is from Bellfield, running adjacent to the existing sewer in the planned new cemetery and then eastwards to the church under the Drang.  It is proposed to install two outside taps one in the new cemetery and one at the rear of the church.

 

 

 

 

034.5/16

The PCC is requesting a letter from the Parish Council (after purchase of the land) giving permission for excavating the trench and installing the pipework across the land and access afterwards in respect of any later maintenance. 

 

 

 

 

034.6/16

It was agreed that DM would draft the required letter

DM

 

 

 

034.7/16

GH was thanked for his attendance and left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

0035/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 JUNE

 

 

 

 

147/15

Councillor Vacancies – a notice of vacancies had been placed in the village magazine, on the Facebook page and on the website.  CC will find the previous notices used and AB will laminate these.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - the new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied.  PH has been in contact with Highways again and has been promised that they will be supplied within the next month

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had notified MDC about the condition of the path which leads to the churchyard and cemetery and had spoken to the Landscape Group also.  So far there has been no response.  A meeting is to be arranged with Sue Church from MDC to discuss this and other grounds maintenance matters.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

110..3.3/15

Finger posts – Chris Ingrem has stated that work is scheduled to take place in the spring.  The certificate and badge of completion of the course which the Clerk had received were passed to PF.

 

 

 

 

153.5.3/15

Defibrillator – the training will take place on 21 September at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.  The Clerk provided an update on the list of those attending.  DM stated that he is currently the guardian but would like to spread the responsibility and hopes to find volunteers at the training.

 

 

 

 

 

158.7/15

SALC – the Clerk will ask SALC again if there are any copies of presentations made at the free session for Clerks which was held on 13 April.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

010.3/16

Support to PCC/FOLC – a further letter of support is required which the Clerk will prepare - complete

 

 

 

 

 

009.11/16

Bank Mandate – VT to complete a form and return it to the Clerk - complete

 

 

 

 

 

011.2/16

Footpath Marker – Recreation Field – the Clerk will inform the Management Committee about the footpath marker which has been thrown into the hedge just inside the gate.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

036/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

036.1/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

 

 

 

The following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Various highway issues particularly potholes and depression in road outside Halecombe have been dealt with.  However signs for the Old Wells Road are still not in place although PH will be meeting the person in charge of this tomorrow

 

 

·                     MDC discussed the introduction of CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy) which is unlikely to happen until at least  2020.

 

 

·                     Devolution: presentation at Council on what this means for the South West. 

 

 

·                     Boundary update: this will mean some movement of ward boundaries.  Out for consultation at present.

 

 

 

 

036.2/16

The Park Hayes Development was discussed.  CC remarked that in theory the Parish could claim the S106 money as a contribution towards compensation for the loss of open space and a piece of land has been identified for use as community space.  Holcombe has recently received S106 funding for a similar scheme and AT agreed to speak to the Clerk at Coleford and Holcombe to see what process took place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

036.3/16

AT left the meeting

 

 

 

 

037/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

037.1/16

2016/2101/VRC Application for removal of condition 2 (occupancy restriction) of planning permission 2011/0158 at Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Malcolm Young

 

 

 

 

037.1.1/16

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM. seconded by DS and agreed by a majority decision to support the application as the situation remains little changed if condition 2 is removed.  However it appears that the occupants are using more of the access land, which is a right of way, due to changes in car parking to the south of the annexe. This is not currently captured on the planning documents and these should be updated to acknowledge this.

 

 

 

 

038.1/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

038.1.1/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of existing dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr P Lewis – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

038.1.2/16

2016/1441/FUL Two new dwellings – land at Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mark Moss – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

039/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

039.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 19.09.16 was approved. 

 

 

 

 

039.2/16

Cheques signed

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for August 2016 - £201.98 Payscale 20

 

 

 

 

040/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

040.1/16

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

040.1.1/16

Already discussed

 

 

 

 

040.2/16

Gravestone Survey

 

 

 

 

042.2.1/16

The Clerk had been in contact with MDC and had spoken to Sue Church who is in charge of maintenance.  Two other people deal with memorials and assets.  The Clerk will send a copy of her survey to Sue Church and make arrangements to meet with her at the churchyard.  The survey needs to be updated as several families have come forward to refurbish their family gravestones. The situation regarding the stone slab outside the Priests Door also needs to be resolved.

 

 

 

 

 

041/16

S106 OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

041.1/16

The S106 contribution to the village should be in the region of £15,500. 

 

 

 

 

041.2/16

A field has been identified for potential community use and a dialogue established with the landowner.  Two other areas of potential community space have also been identified

 

 

 

 

041.3/16

It was agreed that CC would go back to the landowner with which discussions have already taken place and suggest that the area be used as a football pitch.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

041.4/16

It was agreed that discussions should also take place with the landowner of the other two identified areas. 

 

CC

 

 

 

042/16

POLICIES FOR REVIEW

 

 

 

 

042.1/16

It was agreed that Councillors would review the following policies

 

 

 

 

 

·                     DS – Document Retention and Data Protect and Information Security

 

DS

 

·                     CC – Complaints and Grievance

CC

 

·                     VT – Equality and Discrimination and Recruitment

VT

 

·                     PF – FOI and FOI Publication Scheme

PF

 

·                     DM – Health and Safety and Recording of Meetings

DM

 

 

 

042.2/16

It was agreed that all Councillors would review Financial Regulations, Code of Conduct and Standing Orders.

 

ALL

 

 

 

042.3/16

It was agreed that any issues should be raised before the next meeting so that the various policies can be signed off at the meeting.

 

 

 

 

043/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

043.1/16

PCSO – latest report distributed

 

 

 

 

043.2/16

Footpaths – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

043.3/16

Highways – two road closures which are on the website.  3 – 14 October Townsend to allow drainage upgrades.  Bottom of Pitten Street to be closed towards the end of October for five days for infill of hole and pothole patching..

 

 

 

 

043.4/16

Recreation Field – building of new shed has commenced.  Commencement of work on pump track now delayed until the spring of 2017.  VT was informed that the Council are holding a budget of £1500 as a contribution.  Various quotations are being sought for materials.

 

 

 

 

043.5/16

Memorial Hall – new flooring has been laid in the gents and disabled toilets.  AGM will take place on 7 November.

 

 

 

 

043.6/16

School – Owl Babies are now part of the school and plans are ongoing to become a Primary school.

 

 

 

 

043.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

043.8/16

Quarry – presentation took place in the Village Hall last week to local Councils giving details of planned expansion.  A public consultation will be held in due course.  It was agreed that we should  insist that the majority of any proposed community funding paid per tonne should be allocated to Leigh-on-Mendip with the balance going to the other surrounding parishes as the majority of the quarry, and it’s resultant impact, falls in the Leigh-on-Mendip Parish.

 

 

 

 

044/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

044.1/16

Parish Forum 18 October – DS will attend

 

 

 

 

045/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

045.1/16

Defib training – 21 September

 

045.2/16

Hall AGM – 7 November

 

045.3/16

FOLC AGM – 9 November

 

 

 

 

046/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

046.1/16

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

·           SALC Legal Topic Note 59 – the Rights of Local Councils to be notified of Planning Applications and Decision

 

 

·           CCS Parish/Town Council Member Newsletter

 

 

·           SALC – revised Transparency Fund Guidance Notes

 

 

·           SCC new traffic and travel website www.travelisomerset.co.uk

 

 

·           SWP – new measures to ensure swift smooth and safer visits to recycling sites in Somerset

 

 

·           SALC notice of planning training 13 October/7 December/2 February

 

 

·           SALC – Notice of SALC AGM 17 September

 

 

·           Connecting Devon and Somerset - update

 

 

·           SALC – Survey on Community Led Housing (NALC)

 

 

·           SCC Highways – temporary closure of Pitten Street

 

 

·           CCS Annual Training and Workshop 6 October

 

 

·           SCC Highways – temporary closure of Burnt House Lane to Townsend

 

 

·           PCSO Frome Rural North beat for August

 

 

·           Primary Care Support England ref pharmacy in Coleford x 3 plus 3 letters from NHS England

 

 

·           SALC on behalf of Sherborne Town Council – Cemetery Management training to be held in February 2017

 

 

·           SALC – letter from NALC regarding chairman’s meeting with Gavin Barwell MP (new housing and planning minister)

 

 

·           Laura Jeffrey – Marketing Consultant reference Wells Cathedral School’s new concert venue Cedars Hall.

 

 

·           Pensions Regulator – stage date from Leigh-on-Mendip 1 November 2016

 

 

·           TQ Excel certificate and card for Chris Ingrem

 

 

 

 

047/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

047.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 17 October 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.