MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 NOVEMBER 2016 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman

CC

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

 

 

 

064/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

064.1/16

Apologies were received from Anthea Brooks, Clerk (AB)

 

 

 

 

064.2/16

In the Clerk’s absence, the Chairman took the minutes.

 

 

 

 

065/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

065.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

066/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 OCTOBER 2016

 

 

 

 

066.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 17 October 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

067/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 OCTOBER 2016

 

 

 

 

051.1/16

Councillor Vacancies – AB to laminate 10 A4 posters. CC agreed to take this action.

CC

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - the new signs at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where the fatality took place have not yet been supplied.  PH has recently been in contact with Highways (Mr Betty) again who confirmed that the signs are due shortly. Continues.

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

122.4/15

Path to the rear of the church – the Clerk had notified MDC about the condition of the path which leads to the churchyard and cemetery A site meeting was held with Mike Isherwood (MDC), Tom Rodford (Church Warden) and CC on 9th Nov. It was agreed to defer any groundwork to the east end of the church until work was completed on the chancel roof and associated drainage. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

158.7/15

SALC – the Clerk will ask SALC again for a copy of the 13 April presentations for Clerks. No response. Action closed.

 

 

 

 

 

011.2/16

Footpath Marker – Recreation Field – VT will inform the Management Committee about the footpath marker which has been thrown into the hedge just inside the gate. Sign replaced by CC. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

051.2/19

S106 Open Space - CC to progress discussions with the landowners. No further responses. Continues.

 

CC

 

 

 

055.1.1/16

CC to progress the purchase of land to extend the cemetery. The transfer was completed on the 28th October. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

055.5.1/16

Complaint received about the recent strimming around graves. Clerk to contact Mr Cross. Continues.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

056.7/16

DM to arrange a PAT test for the Shredder used by the Clerk. Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

056.12/16

CC to amend the reviewed documents as agreed and reissue with appropriate Review Due dates. All documents have been reissued on the village website. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct the two parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

057.2/16

Further training will be arranged once enough persons have expressed an interest. It was agreed to fix a date in the New Year when Vikki Batten could give the training and then ask for trainees.  DM to agree a date and book the Hall.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

057.3/16

CC to advise DM of the defibrillator balance of funds. £212.50 available to cover training costs. Complete.

 

 

 

 

057.4/16

CC to update defibrillator training notice. Notices to be issued once next training date is agreed. Closed.

 

 

 

 

062.1/16

Councillors were asked to consider a “Village Ranger” proposal (for volunteers to perform maintenance tasks around the parish) for the next meeting (e.g. insurance, equipment/clothing, typical tasks etc.). Discussed under agenda item 072/16.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

068/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

068.1/16

Somerset County Council – PH

 

 

The following points were noted

 

 

·    Somerset CC still forecasting an overspend for 2016/17 but less than earlier forecast.

 

 

·    Somerset Waste Partnership. Currently 49% recycled, aim to reach 61% by 2021 with only 1% to landfill.

 

 

·    Hinkley Point:  All contracts now in place. Stone being supplied from Whatley Quarry by rail to Avonmouth then ship. Park & ride being built at Bridgwater for workers. 50% of workforce to be local. Primary Schools within 90 minutes to have presentations to promote future apprenticeships. 

 

068.2/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

·    Planning for Moonshill quarry is being resubmitted.

 

 

·    Further discussions held with Highways regarding HGV signage at Soho. AT to reiterate the need for a sign at the crossroads to prevent HGVs turning north.

 

 

AT

 

·    MDC budget was met in the first half year.

 

 

·    A draft document for marketing and business evidence required to support planning applications is being consulted until 19th December.

 

 

·    “Keyring Lettings” are looking for local landlords to provide rented accommodation for low income families and individuals who find it difficult to secure accommodation through existing local services

 

 

 

 

068.3/16

Mendip District Council – PH

 

 

·    SHAPE lottery due to go live in February.

 

 

·    Looking at moving Shepton Library to MDC hub.

 

 

·    Town centres reviews planned

 

 

 

 

069/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

069.1/16

            2016/2653/CLE Application for a Lawful Development Certificate for an existing use, development or activity of an agricultural building for agricultural purposes on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottages, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr James Hiscox

 

 

 

 

069.1.1/16

The above application was discussed. It was proposed by DS, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the application on the condition that satisfactory evidence is provided to verify the existing use for agricultural purposes. It appears as an agricultural building but its purpose is not stated, justified or verified.  There was no evidence provided with the application as required by an application for a Certificate of Lawfulness for an Existing Use or Activity.

 

 

 

 

069.2/16

Repairs to Chancel, Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vestry of St Giles Church, Leigh on Mendip

 

 

 

 

069.2.1/16

The Parochial Church Council submitted this application on 8th November but it had not yet been validated by MDC. Due to the required urgency, DM presented the application to allow Parish Council comments to be available without delaying the decision.

 

 

 

 

069.2.2/16

The application was discussed. It was proposed by VT, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the application once comments were invited. It was noted that the height of the Chancel roof would be increased by 17cm due to the additional roof insulation and ventilation. The Parish Council supported the need to protect this heritage building and the need for additional insulation. Visual impact of the repair is minimal.    

 

 

CC

069.2.3/16

DM to expedite the overdue validation. PH and AT offered assistance.

 

DM

 

 

 

069.3/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

069.3.1/16

2016/1441/FUL Two new dwellings – land at Leigh Street (Kozy-Kot) for Mark Moss – planning officer has recommended refusal. Expected to be considered at the Planning Board on 21st December. Parish Council participation to be discussed at 19th December meeting.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

069.3.2/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of existing dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes for Mr P Lewis – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

069.3.3/16

2016/2101/VRC Application for removal of condition 2 (occupancy restriction) at Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage for Mr Malcolm Young - approved.  A condition still remains for use only as a residential annex and not a separate dwelling.

 

 

 

 

069.3.4/16

2013/1987 Application for approval of details reserved by conditions 5 (landscaping) and 6 (external facing materials in respect of walls and roof) on planning permission 2013/1987 on land south of Park Hayes – approved. Drawings were unchanged from original submission.

 

 

 

 

069.4/16

PH and AT left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

070/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

070.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 21.11.16 was approved.  The Bank reconciliation was deferred.

 

 

 

 

070.2/16

Preparation of 2017/18 Budget

 

 

 

 

070.2.1/16

A list of budget items was reviewed.

·      The Pump Track budget for 16/17 was increased to £2,000 for subsequent approval following a request from the Rec Field Committee.

·      An allowance for two further cuts of the Rec Field grass was requested for 2017/18.

 

 

 

 

070.2.2/16

CC to prepare a draft budget for Councillors to review and complete before the next meeting.

CC

ALL

 

 

 

070.3/16

Cheques signed

 

 

The following payments were proposed by DS seconded by VT and agreed:

·             Clerk’s Salary and expenses for October 2016 - £201.98 Pay scale 20. Cheque to be signed out of meeting.

·             HMRC for August, September & October. £144.00 Cheque to be signed out of meeting.

·             Mr Cross for cemetery grass cutting and hedge trim (2nd payment). £687.50

·             Shepton Mallet Landscapes for Rec Field grass cutting. £576.00 Cheque to be signed out of meeting.

·             Harris and Harris fees for purchase of new cemetery land. £785.60   Agreed previously (055.1.2/16). Cheque issued on 24 Oct 2016.

 

 

 

 

071/16

CEMETERY MATTERS – New Cemetery Land

 

 

 

 

071.1/16

CC to prepare a change of use planning application for the new cemetery land.

 

CC

 

 

 

071.2/16

It was agreed to clear the vegetation during the winter so that growth could be controlled in the spring and left fallow until further landscaping was required.  DS and CC to each obtain advice and quotations for clearance.

 

 

DS

CC

 

 

 

071.3/16

The letter to grant access to the Parochial Church Council for laying water, telecommunications and drainage across this land was signed by CC and DS. CC to issue to Priest-in-Charge, PCC and FOLC.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

071.4/16

Although the purchase was completed on 28th October the Land Registry certificate was not expected until January.

 

 

 

 

071.5/16

The Business Case documentation was agreed in accordance with Financial Regulations para 14.4.

 

 

 

 

071.6/16

The Clerk was requested to confirm that the new cemetery land is adequately covered by the existing insurance.

 

CC

 

 

 

072/16

VILLAGE RANGER PROPOSAL

 

 

 

 

072.1/16

DS proposed that volunteers are recruited to perform minor upkeep tasks around the parish. Typical tasks include clearing drains, litter, growth around road signs and verges,   

 

 

 

 

072.2/16

DS to draft a suitable registration form (possibly based on the “Adopt-a-path” registration form).

 

DS

 

 

 

072.3/16

DM to review the Parish Council Health and Safety Policy for adequacy for Village Ranger activities.

 

DM

 

 

 

072.4/16

Clerk to review the Parish Council insurance policy for adequate cover of Village Ranger activities.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

073/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

073.1/16

PCSO – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

073.2/16

Footpaths – nothing to report.

 

073.3/16

Highways

·         DS had reported a broken warning sign by Pinkacre.

·         VT reported missing junction warning sign at Tadhill Lane junction on Old Wells Road. CC to report.

·         Salt bins are only being refilled when requested. DS had trimmed around bins and checked salt at Hippey’s Lane, Soho Farm and Hollybush Cottage. CC will trim and check the bin at Yew Tree Cottage.

·         DS offered to collect ten bags of salt from the Frome depot on 3rd December. CC to print notices to inform where stocks of salt are available.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

DS

CC

 

 

 

073.4/16

Recreation Field

·         Dog bins are still not being emptied regularly. CC to chase the Landscape Group.

·         A Christmas wreath making session has been planned for December.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

073.5/16

Memorial Hall – a dishwasher has now been installed.

 

 

 

 

073.6/16

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

073.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

073.8/16

Quarry – The public consultation on the proposed planning application has been postponed until late January / early February due to technical issues with the asphalt plant.

 

 

 

 

074/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

074.1/16

Item stressing the requirement to publish councillors’ declarations of interest.  These were promptly issued to MDC but have not yet been updated, despite being highlighted by the Clerk. 

 

 

 

 

075/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

075.1/16

Next Parish Forum on 8th February.

 

 

 

 

076/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

076.1/16

Simon Biddlecombe had suggested that fruit trees/bushes were planted on public spaces. This was agreed to be a good idea. VT to suggest to the Rec Field Committee.

 

 

VT

 

 

 

076.2/16

It has been confirmed that two of the Coleford pharmacy applications were refused and the application by Prasant Manandahar was approved.

 

 

 

 

077/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

077.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 19 December 2016 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.