MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 JANUARY 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman

CC

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

 

 

 

078/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

078.1/16

Apologies were received from Anthea Brooks, Clerk (AB) and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH).

 

 

 

 

078.2/16

In the Clerk’s absence, the Chairman took the minutes.

 

 

 

 

079/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

079.1/16

DS declared an interest in the quotations for clearance of the new cemetery (item 85.2/16). It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

080/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 NOVEMBER 2016

 

 

 

 

080.1/16

It was noted that action 071.6/16 should say Clerk in the Action column, otherwise the minutes of the meeting held on 21 November 2016 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman. The December meeting had been cancelled due to lack of a quorum.

 

 

 

 

081/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 NOVEMBER 2016

 

 

 

 

051.1/16

Councillor Vacancies – PF offered to laminate 6 A4 posters and display around the village.

PF

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - new signs were installed on 10th December at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where a fatality took place. White line markings (SLOW) are still outstanding. PH asked to expedite.

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

051.2/19

S106 Open Space - CC to progress discussions with the landowners. Manor Farm field not available until sale completed. No response from R Massey. CC to obtain contact details from V Higgins and pursue other options.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

055.5.1/16

Complaint received about the recent strimming around graves. Clerk has informed the contractor. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

056.7/16

DM to arrange a PAT test for the Shredder used by the Clerk. Not required as shredder is broken. Closed.  

 

 

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct the two parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

057.2/16

Further defibrillator/first aid training to be arranged.  DM to agree a date and book the Hall. Agreed to check availability of afternoon of 4th or 5th March and make bookings.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

068.2/16

HGV signage at Soho. AT to pursue the need for a sign at the crossroads to prevent HGVs turning north.

 

AT

 

 

 

069.2.2/16

CC to submit Parish Council’s planning recommendation for repairs to St Giles’ chancel roof. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

069.2.3/16

DM to expedite the overdue validation for the church planning application. Complete.

 

 

 

 

069.3.1/16

DS presented the Parish Council support for two new dwellings at Leigh Street (Kozy-Kot) at the Planning Board on 21st December. The application was approved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

070.2.2/16

CC to prepare a draft budget for Councillors to review and complete before the next meeting. Complete.

 

 

 

 

071.1/16

CC to prepare a change of use planning application for the new cemetery land. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

071.2/16

DS and CC to each obtain advice and quotations for clearance of the new cemetery plot. Complete.

 

 

 

 

071.3/16

CC to issue letter to grant access to new cemetery to Priest-in-Charge, PCC and FOLC.

 

 

 

 

071.6/16

The Clerk was requested to confirm that the new cemetery land is adequately covered by the existing insurance. DM stated that specific land was not mentioned but we should note it when next renewing the insurance.  Clerk to note.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

072.2/16

DS to draft a Village Ranger registration form (possibly based on the “Adopt-a-path” registration form). Complete. Village Rangers to be considered at a later meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

072.3/16

DM to review the Parish Council Health and Safety Policy for adequacy for Village Ranger activities. Adequate, complete.

 

 

 

 

072.4/16

Clerk to review the Parish Council insurance policy for adequate cover of Village Ranger activities. CC stated that volunteers are covered assuming risk assessments and adequate safety precautions. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

073.3.1/16

CC to report missing junction warning sign at Tadhill Lane junction on Old Wells Road. Complete and replaced.

 

 

073.3.2/16

CC to trim and check the Yew Tree Cot. salt bin. Complete.

 

 

 

 

073.3.3/16

DS collected ten bags of salt from the Frome depot. CC to print notices to inform where stocks of salt are available.

 

CC

 

 

 

073.4/16

CC to chase the Landscape Group regarding the emptying of dog bins on the Rec Field. Bins now regularly emptied.

 

 

 

 

076.1/16

VT to suggest to the Rec Field Committee that fruit trees / bushes were planted on public spaces. This was discussed. Fallen soft fruit could encourage wasps but walnut or hazel trees would be considered in any future planting. Complete.

 

 

 

 

082/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

082.1/16

Somerset County Council – given by AT on behalf of PH

 

 

The following points were noted

 

 

·    Somerset CC currently working on the budget for 2017/18.

 

 

·    Latest report had noted an improvement in children’s services.

 

 

 

 

082.2/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

·    Presentation given by Andy Marsh (new Chief Constable).

 

 

·    Frome Neighbourhood Plan adopted.

 

 

·    Scrutiny Committee had discussed the Glastonbury Festival transport planning.

 

 

·   Local Plan Part II provisional options for primary and secondary villages have been circulated to Parish Councils for comment. This does not affect Leigh on Mendip.

 

 

·    CC asked AT for the MDC contact for street cleaning as the Landscape Group were unresponsive.

AT

 

 

 

083/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

083.1/16

            2016/2828/FUL Retrospective: Change of use of residential annex to independent dwelling, Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage, Leigh Street

 

 

 

 

083.1.1/16

The above application was discussed. It was proposed by CC, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to recommend that the decision be left to the Planning Officer following consultation responses.

 

The Council was unable to recommend approval due to the following observations:

1.  The Site Location Plan shows a new isolated parking area to the south of the Annexe. This is not identified in previous Fern Cottage applications (2011/0158, 2016/0606 and 2016/2101).

2.  It had been reported that the stable block (2016/0606) is being used as a livery not only for private use of the occupiers of Fern Cottage although Condition 3 states: “The stables hereby approved shall be for the private use of the occupiers of Fern Cottage and not for any livery or commercial use. Reason: In the interests of highway safety the Local Planning Authority does not consider the access routes to the site suitable for the level of traffic generated by anything other than private use.”

3.  There is a public footpath (FR8/28) sharing the track now used to gain access to the new parking area and the stables.

CC to send comment to MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  

 

CC

 

 

 

083.2/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

083.2.1/16

2016/1441/FUL Two new dwellings – land at Leigh Street (Kozy-Kot) for Mark Moss – approved.

 

 

 

 

083.2.2/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes for Mr P Lewis – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

083.2.3/16

            2016/2653/CLE Application for a Lawful Development Certificate for an existing use, development or activity of an agricultural building for agricultural purposes on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottages, Tadhill for Mr Hiscox – approved.

 

 

 

 

083.2.4/16

2016/2954/FUL Increase in height of roof profile and installation of wood fibre thermal insulation to Chancel Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vestry Roof as part of roof refurbishment, Church of St Giles – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

083.2.5/16

2014/2760/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings. Grove Shute Farm. Discussion was deferred to the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

084/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

084.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 16.01.17 was approved and reconciled with bank statement.

 

 

 

 

084.2/16

2017/18 Budget and Precept - the draft budget with a precept of £7,100 was proposed by DM, seconded by DS and approved unanimously. The £300 increase in the 2017/18 precept was the same as the previous three years. This results in an annual increase of £1.34 for a Band D property. Clerk to submit precept return to MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

084.3/16

2017 grass cutting quotations – Acceptance of the quotation for cutting the Rec Field from Shepton Mallet Landscape Ltd for a maximum of 17 cuts was proposed by DS, seconded by PF and accepted. Clerk to notify Mr Brown.

Cemetery grass cutting quote was not yet available.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

084.4/16

Grant for Toddler Group – It was proposed by DM, seconded by VT and agreed to purchase the requested play kitchen and reclaim the VAT. A cheque to Mothercare for £129.99 was signed. DM to arrange purchase by the Parish Council. 

 

 

 

DM

084.5/16

Grant for First School - It was proposed by VT, seconded by DS and agreed to provide a grant for a Rainbow Bench, excluding VAT. A cheque to the school for £283.33 was signed.

 

 

 

 

084.6/16

Grant for Church – The Parochial Church Council had requested a grant of £780 to cover the cost of changing the lighting to LEDs. This was above the budgeted amount. The Parish Council would consider a grant of £600 if the PCC agree to cover the balance to proceed with the work. DM to inform PCC.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

084.7/16

Clerk’s Salary and expenses for December 2016 - £201.98 Pay scale 20. Proposed by PF, seconded by VT and approved.

 

 

 

 

085/16

CEMETERY MATTERS – New Cemetery Land

 

 

 

 

085.1/16

CC had prepared a change of use planning application. This was approved and a cheque signed for £192.50 to MDC. CC to submit planning application.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

085.2/16

Quotes for clearing the vegetation were compared and it was proposed by VT, seconded by PF and agreed to select Hans Johnson. CC to inform bidders. DS had declared an interest and did not participate.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

086/16

COLEFORD PHARMACY

 

 

 

 

086.1/16

The application by Prasant Manandahar for a pharmacy in Coleford had been approved. However Dudley Taylor Pharmacies Ltd has appealed against the decision. The Parish Council have been invited to comment but no further information could be added to that already submitted.

 

 

 

 

087/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

087.1/16

PCSO – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

087.2/16

Footpaths – DS to report loss of footpath sign at Fern Cottage.

 

DS

 

 

 

087.3/16

Highways – There will be two-way traffic lights next to Great House Farm for up to 3 weeks in April whilst the stream is de-silted and the bridge repaired.

 

 

 

 

087.4/16

Recreation Field

·         A Christmas wreath making session was successful.

·         Work on the pump track is progressing

·         Wild flower areas have been sown

·         VT to contact Somerset Wildlife Trust regarding other suitable areas in the village for sowing wild flowers.

 

 

 

 

 

VT

 

 

 

087.5/16

Memorial Hall – village quiz on 11th March

 

087.6/16

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

087.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

087.8/16

Quarry – DS reported that TARMAC had supported school and FOLC activities before Christmas. The public exhibition of the proposed planning application will be held on 3rd February in the Memorial Hall.

 

 

 

 

088/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN – nothing to note

 

 

 

 

089/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

089.1/16

Partners and Communities Together (PACT) meeting on 19th January at Norton St Philip.

 

 

 

 

089.2/16

Next Parish Forum on 8th February. DS to request a presentation from Highways. DS to attend.

DS

 

 

 

090/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

090.1/16

A grant request for Mendip Community Transport to be considered at the next meeting.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

091/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

091.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 20 February 2017 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.