MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 FEBRUARY 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman

CC

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Mr Nick Hiscox (for item 97.2.4)

 

 

 

 

 

 

092/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

092.1/16

Apologies were received from Anthea Brooks, Clerk (AB), Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT) and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH).

 

 

 

 

092.2/16

In the Clerk’s absence, the Chairman took the minutes.

 

 

 

 

093/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

093.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

094/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 JANUARY 2017

 

 

 

 

094.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 January 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

095/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 JANUARY 2017

 

 

 

 

051.1/16

Councillor Vacancies – PF had displayed laminated posters around the village. Complete.  No expressions of interest had yet been received.

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways - new signs were installed on 10th December at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road where a fatality took place. White line markings (SLOW) are still outstanding. PH asked to expedite. Continues.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

051.2/19

S106 Open Space - CC to progress discussions with the landowners. R Massey had been contacted again by text. Awaiting a reply.

CC

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct the two parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

057.2/16

Further defibrillator/first aid training. DM had arranged a training session in the Hall at 2pm on Sunday 5th March. Some spaces still available. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

068.2/16

HGV signage at Soho. AT to pursue the need for a sign at the crossroads to prevent HGVs turning north. AT reported that Chris Betty will be picking it up at the end of February. DS reported that holes had been dug for new signs.

AT

 

 

 

071.6/16

Clerk to note new cemetery land when next renewing the insurance.

Clerk

 

 

 

073.3.3/16

CC to print notices to inform where stocks of salt are available. CC recommended that bins are purchased to store the bags of salt stored at the Rec Field, Hall and Greenshutters/Soho. It was agreed to purchase 3 bins at a cost of no more than £60.

  

 

CC

 

 

 

082.2/16

AT to provide the MDC contact for street cleaning. Complete.

 

 

 

 

083.1.1/16

CC to submit comments on planning application 2016/2828 to MDC. Complete.

 

 

 

 

084.2/16

Clerk to submit precept return to MDC. Complete.

 

 

 

 

084.3/16

Clerk to confirm 2017 Rec Field grass cutting contract with Mr Brown. Cemetery grass cutting quotes had been obtained. Complete.

 

 

 

 

084.4/16

DM had arranged purchase of play kitchen for the Toddler Group. Payment had been amended to a cheque to the school (exc. VAT). A photograph of the play kitchen and thanks had been received. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

084.6/16

DM to inform the PCC that the Parish Council would consider a grant of £600 if the PCC agreed to cover the balance for the LED lighting. PCC have confirmed. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

085.1/16

CC to submit new cemetery planning application. Complete.

 

 

 

 

085.2/16

CC to inform bidders of decision for clearing the new cemetery vegetation. Complete.

 

 

 

 

087.2/16

DS to report loss of footpath sign at Fern Cottage. Complete.

 

 

 

 

087.4/16

VT to contact Somerset Wildlife Trust regarding suitable areas in the village for sowing wild flowers. Continues.

 

VT

 

 

 

089.2/16

DS to request a presentation from Highways at the Parish Forum. DS to attend. Complete.

 

 

 

 

090.1/16

A grant request for Mendip Community Transport to be considered at the February meeting. Complete.

 

 

 

 

096/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

096.1/16

PH and AT were attending a full MDC meeting to set the 2017/18 budget.

 

 

 

 

096.2/16

Mendip District Council – report sent by AT

 

 

  • KeyRing Letting agency, the Mendip supported Community Interest Company, has a number of potential clients in urgent need of rental property but none is coming forward at our lower end of the market. Any help would be appreciated.

 

 

  •  AT thought the Expansion Plans by Halecombe Quarry were well presented.

 

 

  • Stoke St. Michael Parish Council voted to recommend rejection of the proposal to build 36 houses on Coalpit Lane.

 

 

  •  AT to forward a note received from Mendip Planning on the Prior Approval planning principle.

 

 

 

097/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

097.1/16

2016/3179/PAA Notification for Prior Approval for a Proposed Change of Use of Agricultural Building to a Dwellinghouse and Associated Operational Development - Land Adj. To 2 Spring Cottages Tadhill  BA3 5QU

 

 

 

 

097.1.1/16

The Parish Council is not consulted on this type of application. The application and the criteria for General Permitted Development Order (2015) were discussed. Some inconsistencies were identified with the typical plans submitted and it was agreed that CC would draft a response for Councillors to agree before submitting to MDC.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

097.1.2/16

Concern was raised regarding the implications of the General Permitted Development Order (2015). CC to draft a letter to MDC Planning.

  

CC

 

 

 

097.2/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

097.2.1/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes for Mr P Lewis – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

097.2.2/16

2016/2828/FUL Retrospective: Change of use of residential annex to independent dwelling, Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage – pending consideration. CC to confirm that MDC Enforcement were aware of the livery issues raised in the comments on this application.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

097.2.3/16

2016/2954/FUL Increase in height of roof profile and installation of wood fibre thermal insulation to Chancel Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vestry Roof as part of roof refurbishment, Church of St Giles – pending consideration.

 

 

 

 

097.2.4/16

2014/2760/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings. Grove Shute Farm. Mr Nick Hiscox explained that the delay in agreeing the required S106 was due to the difficulty in arranging both a Housing Association for the two Affordable houses and a developer. CC thanked Mr Hiscox for updating the Council. 

 

 

 

 

098/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

098.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 20.02.17 was approved. It was noted that the Clerk’s salary for November had been paid in December despite the cancelled meeting. The Mothercare cheque agreed in January had been destroyed and substituted with a cheque for £108.33 (exc. VAT) to Leigh School to purchase the agreed play kitchen.

 

 

 

 

098.2/16

Transfer of funds from savings account – agreed to transfer £5,000 from NS&I account to bank account.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

098.3/16

Grant for Recreation Field (Pump Track) – a request had been received to contribute £2,000 towards the cost of the Pump Track. It was proposed by CC, seconded by DS and unanimously agreed to grant requested amount.

 

 

 

 

 

 

098.4/16

Grant for Mendip Community Transport – after discussion it was agreed not to support this request as there was no knowledge of the “Slinky” request service being used within the village or needed by the recent Travel Survey.

 

 

 

 

098.5/16

Grant for Church (Lighting) – the PCC had confirmed that they would proceed with fitting LED lighting if a grant of £600 was awarded. It was proposed by VT, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to grant the requested amount.

 

 

 

 

 

 

098.6/16

2017 cemetery grass cutting quotations – two quotations had been received. It was agreed to award Simon Biddlecombe the contract for 2017. CC to inform bidders.

  

CC

 

 

 

098.7/16

Cheques raised

              2017 hall bookings, £154 – proposed by PF and seconded by VT. Agreed.

              SLCC membership, £46.50 (50% shared with Witham PC) - proposed by DM and seconded by PF. Agreed.

              Two year renewal of website domain, paid by Tom Turner, £16.78 - proposed by DM and seconded by VT. Agreed.

              Clearance of new cemetery, £672 (inc. VAT) - proposed by DS and seconded by PF. Agreed.

              Clerk’s January Salary, £201.98 and associated HMRC (Nov – Jan), £144 - proposed by CC, seconded by DM and approved.

              Buy-a-plan for Cemetery Planning Application, paid by CC, £28.08 - proposed by DM, seconded by VT. Agreed.

 

 

 

 

099/16

CEMETERY MATTERS – New Cemetery Land

 

 

 

 

099.1/16

Planning Application 2017/0326 awaiting validation. A pedestrian entrance has been proposed from the footpath. MDC had rejected maps copyrighted to MDC. CC had purchased OS maps and will resubmit.

  

 

CC

099.2/16

Most of the new cemetery site has been cleared.  Some attention will be required to the fence next to the footpath.

 

 

100/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

100.1/16

PCSO – There had been a recent village theft from a vehicle.

 

 

 

 

100.2/16

Footpaths – DS reported that a complaint about the Halecombe permissive path had been promptly cleared. Further fly tipping had been reported on Fixmystreet.

 

 

 

 

 

100.3/16

Highways

              It is hoped that repainting of Fingerposts will commence when the weather improves.

              The road from Soho Farm to Vobster will be closed from 27th Feb for 5 days.

              Highways have been asked if hedges on Quarry Lane can be cut back over the verges rather than to the curb to increase the effective width of the road. Highways stated that they are only responsible for the ground level verge and the hedging is the responsibility of the landowner.

 

 

 

 

100.4/16

Recreation Field – the old cricket club shed has been removed and work on the pump track is due to start in March.

 

 

 

 

100.5/16

Memorial Hall – a PC village quiz team for 11th March was agreed. Next Hall maintenance day is on 6th May.

 

 

 

 

100.6/16

School – thanks had been received for the Rainbow Bench.

 

 

 

 

100.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

100.8/16

Quarry – DS reported that the public exhibition was well attended by over 80 visitors. A loud blast complaint in December had been followed up but records did not show anything exceptional. 

 

 

 

 

101/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN – nothing to note

 

 

 

 

101/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

101.1/16

Parish Forum attended by DS on 8th February. Only 13 attendees. Presentation by SCC Highways.

 

 

 

 

102/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

102.1/16

The NHS Litigation Agency requested any further comments on the Coleford pharmacy application which is currently being appealed. Agreed that no further comment was necessary.

 

 

 

 

 

103/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

103.1/16

The next meeting will be on Monday 20 March 2017 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.

 

 

 

 

103.2/16

Due to a clash with Easter, it was agreed to hold the April meeting on Monday 24th April. The hall has been booked.