MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 MARCH 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman

CC

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

PH

 

 

 

 

 

104/16

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

104.1/16

Apologies were received from David Mattick (DM)

 

 

 

 

104.2/16

VT announced that she would be absent for a year from the end of August but would like to remain as a Councillor.  The Clerk will investigate whether this is possible.  It was noted the importance of co-opting two further Councillors in order to make sure that future meetings are quorate.  This will be made clear at the Annual Parish Meeting.

Clerk

 

 

 

105/16

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

105.1/16

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

106/16

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 FEBRUARY 2017

 

 

 

 

106.1/16

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 February 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

107/16

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 FEBRUARY 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – white line markings (SLOW) are still outstanding where the new signs were installed at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road.  PH will be asked to expedite.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

051.2/16

S106 Open Space – No reply received from Rick Massey.  CC suggested using the newsletter to inform parishioners that there is funding available for a communal open space and asking for suggestions for its use. 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct the two parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

068.2/16

HGV signage at Soho – now complete

 

 

 

 

071.6/16

Clerk to note new cemetery land when next renewing the insurance.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

073.3.3/16

CC reported that he had purchased three bins in which to store the bags of salt located at the Rec Field, Hall and Soho at a cost of £12.99 each – complete

 

 

 

 

087.4/16

VT is trying to find details of who she should contact at Somerset Wildlife Trust regarding suitable areas in the village for sowing wild flowers. Continues.

 

VT

 

 

 

097.1.1/16

2016/3179/PAA Notification for Prior Approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse and associated operational development – Land Adj. to 2 Spring Cottages Tadhill

 

 

 

 

 

·                  As agreed at the previous meeting, CC had drafted a response which Councillors had agreed following concerns about the inconsistencies with the typical plans submitted.

 

 

·                  As also agreed at the previous meeting and following concern raised regarding the implications of the General Development Order (2015), CC had also drafted a letter to MDC Planning which had been approved by Councillors.

 

 

 

 

097.2/2/16

2016/2828/FUL Retrospective Change of use of residential annex to independent dwelling at Three Acre Annex, Fern Cottage.  MDC Enforcement had been made aware about the livery issues however the landowner has implicitly denied that he is letting the stables or the land for commercial gain.

 

 

 

 

098.2/16

Finance – Transfer of Funds from NS&I account – this had been completed

 

 

 

 

098.6/16

2017 cemetery grass cutting quotations – CC had informed the bidders of the outcome of the discussions- complete

 

 

 

 

099.1/16

Planning Application 2017/0326 New cemetery. CC had resubmitted as requested by MDC and validation took place on 23 February.

 

 

 

 

108/16

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

108.1/16

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

·           Mendip have managed their finances very well in the light of funding restrictions.  Council tax will increase by 1.99% with no decrease in services.  The end of the financial year saw a slight surplus against budget.  Over the next four years Government funding will virtually disappear from the rates support grant but there are plans to make up that shortfall.

 

 

·           The Council have been involved in a peer review where senior members from other councils carried out face to face reviews of the Mendip cabinet and first line officers over three days.  A written report will be available but early indications are very positive of the outcome.

 

 

 

 

108.2/16

Somerset County Council - PH

 

 

·           2% increase in Council Tax to cover adult social care

 

 

·           Choice of charging 6% in Council Tax over the next three years in any combination and agreed to go 2/2/2

 

 

·           Savings made of £18 million this year, there was an overspend £6/7 million from last year.  Interest is being paid on loans which were taken out by the previous administration some of which cannot be repaid for many years.

 

 

·           Devolution – the plan is still with central Government under consideration.  There is an insistence that a Mayor is appointed but there is a query on the cost of this.

 

 

·           Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) – proposed for Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay covering a population of 1.6 million and 63,500 businesses.  Private sector led, supported by Devon and Somerset County Councils, Plymouth City Council and Torbay Council.   Have recently been awarded £25 million.

 

 

·           Following cabinet last Wednesday, a company called Dimensions have been awarded the contract to set up a new social enterprise into which SCC Learning Disabilities Provider Services will transfer.

 

 

 

 

108.3/16

Mendip District Council - PH

 

 

·              Shape Mendip Lottery is now live and raises money for good causes which benefit the Mendip community.  

 

 

·              Changing Places campaign – MDC have agreed to support a national campaign which aims to see new public toilet facilities introduced for people with acute physical and learning disabilities – this will make Mendip a more accessible district.  At the moment Wiltshire have 17 facilities, Somerset have none.  The Equalities Group will be taking this forward and report back to Annual Council in May.

 

 

·              Wells Christmas Market will go ahead next year.  Shepton Mallet had their second Sunday market on 19 March which went very well.

 

 

 

 

109/16

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

109.1/16

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

109.1.2/16

2016/1854/FUL – Conversion and extension of dwelling to one two bedroom and one three bedroom apartment/flats at 11 Park Hayes for Mr P Lewis – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

109.1.3/16

2016/2954/FUL Increase in height of roof profile and installation of wood fibre thermal insulation to Chancel Lady Chapel, Organ Chamber and Vestry Roof as part of roof refurbishment, Church of St Giles – approved

 

 

 

 

109.1.4/16

2017/0326/FUL – Change of use to a cemetery on land adjacent to Memorial Hall, Leigh-on-Mendipvalidated – awaiting decision

 

 

 

 

109.1.5/16

2016/2828/FUL – Change of use of residential annex to independent dwelling at Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

109.1.5.1/16

This has recently been approved. The report states as there is currently a new bus service, this categorises the village as a ‘secondary village’

 

 

 

 

109.1.5.2/16

It was noted that Part II of the Local Plan is coming out for further consultation in April/May and whether or not the village is classed ‘secondary’ can be discussed again at that point.  However in the meantime it was agreed that the planning officer should be asked for further rationale behind his decision as if the village is to be classified as ‘secondary’ then a development limit would need to be set.   All emails to be copied to AT/PH.

CC

 

 

 

109.1.6/16

2016/3179/PAA – Notification for prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse and associated operational development – Land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottage, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

109.1.7/16

Implications of the General Development Order (2015) A response had been received to the questions raised under action 097.1.1/16 and this was noted.  It was agreed that for future applications at least the Parish Council and the ward members should be consulted.

 

 

 

 

109.1.7/16

2014/2760/FUL – Erection of 7 residential dwellings and associated development at Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

109.1.7.1/16

A discussion took place on the provision of affordable housing and the difficulty of obtaining the involvement of a Housing Association company in this particular development.

 

 

 

 

109.1.7.2/16

The Ward Councillors are to be consulted on the imminent agreement of the S106 and requested the view of the Parish Council. If it was not possible to agree affordable housing limited to people with local connections then the Parish Council recommended that the draft S106 provides other compensation to Leigh on Mendip.  The building of new affordable housing is one option, another would be the purchase of existing stock with a local Housing Association using that money.  Also the Ward Councillors were asked to investigate whether the two Housing Associations who already have stock in the village have been approached to take on the affordable housing at Grove Shute. AT/PH agreed to email when information became available.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PH/AT

 

 

 

110/16

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

110.1/16

Financial Statement - the statement to 20.03.17 was approved.

 

 

 

 

110.2/16

Cheques raised

              Clerk’s Salary – February 2017 - £201.98

              C Cudmore – reimbursement for purchase of 3 bins for salt bags (£38.97) and two strip lights for the telephone box (£11.98) = total £50.95

 

 

 

 

110.3/16

Paint for signposts – PF will pass the invoice to the Clerk for payment at the next meeting

PF

 

 

 

110.4/16

Auditor – the Clerk will ask Richard Blunden to audit the 2016/17 accounts.

Clerk

 

 

 

110.5/16

Asset Register and Risk Assessment – to be reviewed for inclusion with annual account.

DM/AB

 

 

 

111/16

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

111.1/16

The Clerk presented the updated Cemetery Fees for 2017.  It was proposed by CC and seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to adopt the fees.

 

 

 

 

111.2/16

The Clerk presented the updated Cemetery Rules and Regulations.

 

 

 

 

112/16

PREPARATION OF 2017 NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

112.1/16

It was agreed to include the following

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Two vacancies for Councillors

·                     Village Rangers– DS will draft

·                     Acquisition of community land – suggestions on what it could be used for, i.e. allotments, communal garden area

 

 

 

 

112.2/16

CC will prepare a draft newsletter for discussion at the next meeting.

CC

 

 

 

113/16

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

113.1/16

PCSO – the recent ‘rave’ at Barnsclose was discussed.  DS reported that he had been invited to the next PACT meeting by PCSO Mike Storey who will also be contacting the landowner to work out a better strategy of securing the site, i.e. keeping the gates locked.  It is the responsibility of the landowner to make the site secure, if it is unsecure then this should be reported to 101.  DS will speak to Mike Storey about the outcome of his meeting with the landowner.

DS

 

 

 

113.2/16

Footpaths – DS reported that the signpost in front of Fern Cottage is not yet in place. 

 

 

 

 

 

113.3/16

Highways

              Work by Great House Farm has been completed.

              The WI were thanked for the success of the recent litter pick

              There had been a complaint about the amount of mud on the road around the Park Hayes development and concerns about site safety. It was agreed that any complaints should be made directly using the contact details on the information board or to the Site Supervisor.  CC agreed to see if any planning conditions were relevant.

CC

 

 

 

113.4/16

Recreation Field – opening event on 7 April for the pump track – all invited.  The AGM will be on Monday 10 April at 7.30 p.m. in the Club House

 

 

 

 

113.5/16

Memorial Hall – a successful quiz took place.  Nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

113.6/16

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

113.7/16

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

113.8/16

Quarry – DS reported that 97 people had attended the recent public exhibition with 36 written responses received.  At the recent Quarry Liaison meeting the proposed community fund was discussed and it was agreed that further discussions were needed to agree on the details and allocations between the parishes although it was felt that the fund should be weighted towards Leigh-on-Mendip.  Andy Cadell is to provide details of how a community fund works at another quarry site.

 

 

 

 

114/16

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The final consultation on a new planning document which sets out the council’s requirements when planning permission is sought for the change of use of a community facility, such as a village shop, pub, community hall or employment site is underway.

·                  Parish Forum meetings (see dates below)

 

 

 

 

115/16

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

115.1/16

·                  Recreation Field AGM 10 April

·                  Parish Forum meetings 8 June and 26 September

 

 

 

 

116/16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

116.1/16

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·               Thanks have been received from the PCC for the grant towards the LED lights in the church

·                  Email from the Director of Rural Services Network regarding Growing a Rural Community for Mendip.  Survey has been completed by the Clerk

·                  Email from Frome Town Council regarding invitation to consultation event on 29 March to discuss the proposed market place improvements in Frome

·                  Email from Mark Ford, SCC, regarding Somerset County Council elections which will take place on 4 May.  Posters to be displayed

 

 

 

 

117/16

ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL/ANNUAL PARISH MEETINGS

 

 

 

 

117.1/16

The APCM and APM will take place on Monday 15 May.  The APCM will commence at 7.00 p.m. and then break to serve refreshments to members of the public with the APM commencing at 8.00 p.m.  If there is further business to conduct the APCM will reconvene after the public section is over.  The Clerk will place an advertisement in the May magazine and ask the Chairs of the Recreation Field and Memorial Hall to present their annual reports.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

118/16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

118.1/16

Due to a clash with Easter, the April meeting will take place on Monday 24 April at 7.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

118.2/16

The APCM/APM will take place on Monday 15 May commencing with the APCM at 7.00 p.m.