MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 19 JUNE 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Dave Mattick, Vice Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor

PH

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

Richard Blaker

RB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

001/17

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

001.1/17

Apologies were received from Chris Cudmore (CC). 

 

 

 

 

001.2/17

Simon Wolf and Richard Blaker were welcomed as observers and potential new Councillors.

 

 

 

 

002/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

002.1/17

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

003/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 24 APRIL 2017

 

 

 

 

003.1/17

The minutes of the meeting held on 24 April 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Vice Chairman.

 

 

 

 

004/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 24 APRIL 2017 AND THE MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING OF 15 MAY 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – white line markings (SLOW) are still outstanding where the new signs were installed at the Knaphill/Downhead crossroads on the Old Wells Road.  PH will chase again.  PH also reported that following another fatality on that road he is lobbying for some sort of speed control.

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

057.1/16

DM to instruct parishioners who had volunteered to be Guardians for the Rec Field defibrillator.  Continues.

 

DM

 

 

 

071.6/16

Clerk to note new cemetery land when next renewing the insurance - complete

 

Clerk

 

 

 

087.4/16

CC has sent VT the details of who she should contact at Somerset Wildlife Trust regarding suitable areas in the village for sowing wild flowers. - complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

109.1.7.2/16

Affordable Housing - AT reported that he was hoping to get a meeting set up to discuss this with Nina Richard as soon as possible - ongoing

 

 

AT

 

 

 

110.3/16

Paint for telephone box – DS had spoken to Chris Ingrem about the possibility of painting the telephone box and he said he would consult his paint supplier to see which type and shade of red is recommended – ongoing.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

110.5/16

Asset Register and Risk Assessment – to be reviewed by the Clerk and DM - complete

Clerk/

DM

 

 

 

123.1/16

Pump Track – AT reported that contact has been made with David Pattison – complete.

 

 

 

 

124.1/16

2017/0947/VRC Variation of conditions 2 (drawing numbers); 11 (visibility splays); 12 (access); and 13 (turning and parking) of planning permission 2014/2760/FUL  at Grove Shute Farm, BA3 5QT – the Clerk had submitted the observations of the Council to MDC - complete

 

 

 

 

124.2/16

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry by the extraction of limestone, replacement of existing asphalt plant with a new asphalt plant and associated facilities, retention of the concrete batching plant and the reopening of the access road to Rookery Farm with relinquishment of the existing permission and extension of end date for the entire quarry and all quarry activities to 31 December 2044 with restoration to be completed by December 2046 – CC had drafted a response for Councillors approval and this was submitted on 3 May - complete

 

 

 

 

124.6/16

Local Plan Part 2 Consultation – Local Green Spaces – following discussion at the last meeting the four sites proposed were supported with a recommendation for the addition of a further four.  CC drafted a response for Councillors approval and this was submitted to MDC by 2 May - complete

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – the Clerk had spoken to LOMCA about the possibility of them hosting this event but they had declined.  After a discussion it was agreed that the Clerk should contact the Project Co-ordinator with a view to linking with another village in the area, such as Mells or Stoke St Michael.  It was agreed that Leigh-on-Mendip would offer to host the event.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

APCM 13.4

Dog Bags – DM had looked into the possibility of providing a ‘poo bag dispenser’ and provided some costings.  It was agreed that this would be an agenda item for the next meeting when a decision will be made on whether to go ahead.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

APCM 13.5

Rural Forum – DS attended and reported that the Enforcement Officer for Fly Tipping was present.

 

 

 

 

005/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

005.1/17

Mendip District Council – AT

 

 

·           New Chairman is Edward Drew, Jeanette Marsh is now Vice Chair

 

 

·           Relationship between MDC and the five towns, Glastonbury, Wells, Shepton Mallet, Street and Frome.  Distance between the council in Frome and the others and trying to find ways of bridging the gap

 

 

·           Activities – generally involved in a number of planning issues locally

 

 

·           Visiting Glastonbury Festival site with Mendip Licencing Board

 

 

·           Shape Lottery needs support

 

 

 

 

005.2/17

Somerset County Council - PH

 

 

·           General election has caused issues with people changing roles and standing down

 

 

·           30 new county councillors

 

 

·           A358/A303 dualling ongoing.  A358 to M5 new spur road to motorway below Taunton.

 

 

·           Hinckley Point ongoing

 

 

·           Attends Somerset Rivers Authority and Mineral Waste Committees and looks after all local quarries.

 

 

 

 

005.3/17

Mendip District Council - PH

 

 

·               Involved with Programme of Transformation which has been delegated to the Phoenix Board and which will enable sustainable delivery of services to customers and communities

 

 

·               The Phoenix Board will advise and make decisions on transformational activity including new commercial partnerships, decisions on borrowing and investment decisions.

 

 

·               Raves – managed to stop a rave at Cookswood Quarry following information from the police

 

 

·               Part of transformation group series of training days involves members have the same training as officers at the same time.

 

 

·               Issued notice to travellers at Moorlands site

 

 

·               Work being undertaken in Gypsy Lane, Frome – money has been saved by stopping fly tipping there and possibility of making the blockage permanent.  However there is an increase in fly tipping in other areas but the saving from the Gypsy Lane site includes clearing up the other areas 

 

 

·               Trying to set up a disabled toilet with all facilities for older children.  There are 17 in Wiltshire but none in Somerset at present.  Hoping to have one in Wells and one in Frome and possible another one eventually in Street early next year – equipment includes hoists, etc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

005.4/17

Fingerpost Sign Project

 

 

 

 

005.4.1/17

DM reported on an email received from a Technical Support Officer at SCC regarding a fingerpost sign project and asking volunteers to attend a training workshop in order to obtain the skills to assist in restoring signposts.  Up to 3 representatives per Parish Council are invited.  It was noted that a Leigh-on-Mendip parishioner has already attended a training workshop and is repainting signposts at the moment. PH agreed to have a look at this project as he was not aware.

 

 

 

 

006/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

006.1/17

2017/1221/HSE External renovation and alteration works, internal renovation and alteration works, extension to the rear, demolition of garage and extension to replace at Raglan, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

006.1.1/17

The Clerk reported that despite a request to MDC for an extension for response to this application which had been agreed and confirmed the application had since been approved without the Parish Council have the chance to respond.

 

 

 

 

006.1.2/17

The application was discussed and it was agreed to make comments as follows

 

 

 

 

006.1.3/17

After reviewing the application it was proposed, seconded and agreed unanimously to recommend approval.  The Council recognised that the pitch of the roof would not support clay tiles and understood the requirement to utilise slate but would recommend that this is natural slate or a very close match.  The Planning Officer should also review the joinery in the sense of aluminium windows for appropriate proportion and detailing.

 

 

 

 

006.1.4/17

After further discussion the council expressed concern at what seems to be three process errors dealing with the application

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The registration stage failed to identify errors in the drawings presented that caused some confusion during the review.  For example Orme drawing 945/040 dated 27.04.17 has incorrectly titled the west and south elevation

 

 

·                  The Planning Officer’s report made no reference to the village design statement (VDS)

 

 

·                  The oversight that meant the application was approved before the Parish Council’s comments were received

 

 

 

 

006.1.5/17

With reference to the issue of non-recognition of the VDS, it was felt that it would have been difficult to apply to this particular dwelling as it is so different from the older, traditional buildings in the village such as the immediate western neighbour.

 

 

 

 

006.1.6/17

The Clerk was asked to send the response to Daniel Foster, Principal Planning Officer at MDC.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

006.2/17

2017/1222/FUL Change of use of part pasture land (pony paddock) to residential gardens space at Raglan, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

006.2.1/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by PF, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to recommend approval

 

 

 

 

006.3/17

2017/1231/FUL Increase height of nave roof by 130mm to accommodate thermal insulation in the course of repair at St Giles’ Church, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

006.3.1/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded VT and agreed unanimously to recommend approval.

 

 

 

 

006.4/17

2017/1110/FUL Conversion of one dwelling to two separate dwellings at 2 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

006.4.1/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by PF, seconded DS and agreed unanimously to recommend approval.

 

 

 

 

006.5/17

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

006.5.1/17

2017/1232/CLE Application for a certificate of lawful development for the use of the property known as The Annexe, Paddock View, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip as a separate dwelling house – approved

 

 

 

 

006.5.2/17

2017/0948/APP application for approval of details reserved by conditions 6 (Timing of Works), 7 (External Lighting), 8 (Bat Roost and Nest Boses) and 9 (Ecological Management Plan) attached to planning permission 2014/2760/FUL at Grove Shute Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip - approved

 

 

 

 

006.5.3/17

2017/1195/FUL Conversion and extension of a barn to a single dwelling at Knapp Hill Farm, Knapp Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip – pending consideration

 

 

 

 

007/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

007.1/17

Financial Statement - the statement to 19.06.17 was approved.

 

 

 

 

007.2/17

Cheques raised

              PCC of Postlebury – photocopying for APCM - £18.00

              Clerk’s Salary May 2017 - £216.25

              Cemetery Clerk’s Salary 16/17 - £89.27

 

 

 

 

007.3/17

Recreation Field Rent – it was noted that the nominal rent of £1 for the Recreation Field has been received

 

 

 

 

007.4/17

VAT Repayment – the Clerk reported that a sum of £1004.30 being VAT repaid for 2016/17 has been received.

 

 

 

 

007.5/17

Accounting Statements 2016/17 for audit – the accounting statements for 2016/17 were considered and proposed for approval by DS, seconded VT and agreed unanimously.  The Vice Chairman and Clerk signed the statement.

 

 

 

 

008/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

008.1/17

 Nothing to discuss

 

 

 

 

009/17

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

009.1/17

It was noted that Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and the Code of Conduct are reviewed annually and this is to be planned for the October meeting. All other reports are reviewed every two years, next due 2018.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

010/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

010.1/17

PCSO – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

010.2/17

Footpaths – DS reported that a footpath sign at the bottom of the village has broken off and will be replaced.  DS reported that five Village Rangers have started work, not including those on the Council.  Various tasks include removing out of date posters from telegraph poles etc, clearing vegetation around the village stones, general weeding, litter picking and painting.  The condition of the local verges was discussed and it was agreed that these should be reported on FixMyStreet to Highways for attention. 

 

 

 

 

 

010.3/17

Highways – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

010.4/17

Recreation Field – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

010.5/17

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

010.6/17

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

010.7/17

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

010.8/17

Quarry – DS reported that Tarmac had taken a lorry to the village Fair and enjoyed their participation.

 

 

 

 

011/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

011.1/17

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

012/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

012.1/17

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

013/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

013.1/17

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Transform Ageing – Monday 17 July at East Huntspill Village Hall – the Clerk will forward this to LOMCA

 

Clerk

 

·                  Fly the Red Ensign for Merchant Navy Day on 3 September – the Clerk had received information on this and a request that the Red Ensign be flown on 3 September in order to raise awareness of a nationwide campaign to raise public awareness of the ongoing reliance on seafarers and shipping.  Participating parish, town and community councils will be added to a Roll of Honour on the website.  It was agreed to put this as an agenda item for the next meeting to discuss further the possible acquisition of a Red Ensign Flag and the flying of such.  The Clerk will also forward details of the website address to Councillors for information.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

014/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

014.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 17 July at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.