MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 SEPTEMBER 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor

PH

 

 

 

 

 

038/17

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

038.1/17

Apologies were received from Alan Townsend District Councillor (AT)

 

 

 

 

039/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

039.1/17

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

040/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 JULY AND 9 AUGUST 2017

 

 

 

 

040.1/17

The minutes of the meeting held on 17 July 2017 and 9 August 2017 were agreed as true and accurate records and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

041/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 JULY 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – possible speed control on the Old Wells Road which is unclassified.  PH reported that under the Small Improvement Traffic Scheme he has an allocation to make two applications on behalf of the Parish Councils in his area by the end of October.  PH asked CC to give some consideration as to what could be done on the road and suggested that he could make a joint application with other affected Parish Councils.  All Councillors were asked to inform CC if there are any other traffic schemes which need to be considered.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PH/CC

 

 

 

109.1.7.2/16

Affordable Housing – CC reported that a meeting with the relevant officers at MDC had taken place on 8 August (also discussed elsewhere)  - complete

 

CC

 

 

 

110.3/16

Painting telephone box – Chris Ingrem is aware of this.  CC will email Chris with the specification for the paint.  DS stated that the Village Rangers would help to prepare the box for painting but need to be organised to do so – ongoing.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

110.5/16

Asset Register and Risk Assessment – The Clerk was asked to review the Risk Assessment to see if there are any outstanding actions – complete, no further actions outstanding.

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – the Clerk reported that the NHS Health Check would take place on Friday 20 October from 9.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. at the Memorial Hall.  Stoke St Michael Parish Council had agreed to co-host.  Details were in the September magazine, have been updated for the October issue and are on the village website and facebook page.  The booking page is open and is available on www.somersethealthchecks.co.uk .  The Clerk asked whether refreshments should be served and it was agreed that they could be offered.  The Clerk will arrange this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

009.1/17

Review of Policies – it was agreed that the Clerk would circulate the Standing Orders, Financial Regulations and the Code of Conduct for review as follows

 

Standing Orders – PF/DS/CC/VT

Code of Conduct – VT/VGT

Financial Regulations – DM/SW

 

 

Clerk

 

As shown

 

 

 

005.4/17

SCC Fingerpost Sign Project – PH stated that he had emailed details in his report.

 

 

 

 

022.2/17

Transfer to NS&I account – discussed under Finance

 

 

 

 

022.3/17

VAT Repayment – it was noted that amounts of £263.94 (2016/17), £118.29 (2014/15) and £113.90 (2015/16) are outstanding and have been claimed.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

023.1.2/17

The Clerk mentioned the condition of the steps to the lower churchyard area and agreed to report this to MDC.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

023.2.2/17

Weeds in New Cemetery – the weed killing has now been successful - complete

 

 

 

 

 

024.2/17

Dog Waste – Recreation Field – VT reported that the Recreation Field had decided against having a dispenser for dog ‘poo’ bags - complete

 

 

 

 

024.3/17

Dog Waste – bag on footpath stile to Halecombe – DS reported that this had now gone - complete

 

 

 

 

025.1/17

Red Ensign Day – unfortunately a flag was not available - complete

 

 

 

 

027.5/17

Recreation Field – Dog Control Orders - CC reported that these had now been superseded by the proposed Public Space Protection Orders -complete

 

 

 

 

 

030.1/17

Email from SCC Chairman’s Awards for Service – no nominations forthcoming - complete

 

 

 

 

030/1/17

Consultation on Proposals for introducing Public Space Protection Orders within Mendip District – a draft PSPO is expected from MDC this week and will be circulated for comment. 

 

 

 

 

042/17

 

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MEETING HELD ON 9 AUGUST 2017

 

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing 

 

 

 

 

036.1.1/17

CC reported that following a meeting at MDC on 8 August various actions had been agreed.

 

 

 

 

036.1.2/17

CC had been to encourage Leigh-on-Mendip parishioners to register their name on the housing list and to contact various people who might have houses available to see if they were interested in selling them to a Housing Association..

 

 

 

 

036.1.3/17

Further consideration will also be given to building new houses.  These actions are ongoing.

CC

 

 

 

036.6/17

Interment of ashes – the Clerk had contacted the grass cutter to make him aware of the date of a recent interment of ashes and to ask him to make sure the cemetery was tidy - complete

 

 

 

 

036.7/17

Internal Auditor payment – (see under Finance)

 

 

 

 

043/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

043.1/17

District Councillor - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The Council is finalising arrangements for a Public Space Protection Order which will give additional powers to control dogs and the consumption of alcohol

 

 

·                  Attended the Mendip Country Practice Patients Group meeting on 14 September.  Following a successful appeal, Dudley Taylor are apparently proceeding with their pharmacy in Coleford on the premises of the former chip shop which has now closed, but there is no other evidence of progress.  The shared Saturday morning surgery opening with Beckington and Frome appears to be working well with no overwhelming demand.

 

 

 

 

043.2/17

County Councillor - PH

 

 

 

 

043.2.1/17

Quarry Applications

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Wainwright’s are currently going through the planning process regarding their application for three new tip areas. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Halecombe – discussions are ongoing reference water and environment problems

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

043.2.2/17

Somerset Waste Partnership – Mickey Green has now been appointed as the new Managing Director.  There have been problems around the programming of the three week collection which was supposed to start in November and is currently on hold.

 

 

 

 

043.3/17

District Councillor - PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Continue with job of transformation.

 

 

·                     Set up training programme in which officers and members are trained together

 

 

·                     Work has started on the Market Cross in Frome

 

 

·                     Business Rates – some small businesses are exempt but others have seen an increase.  There is a scheme available to help.

 

 

·                     Shepton Mallet library will transfer to MDC site

 

 

·                     Open Space Protection Orders – out for consultation.  The problem will be enforcement and PH suggested the employment of an individual to cover several villages to help with this.

 

 

 

 

043.1/17

Halecombe Liaison Meeting – PH to confirm whether this will take place on 18 October.  PH will see if a further meeting can be arranged to discuss the draft S106.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

043.2/17

Defibrillator Insurance – PH asked if the Leigh-on-Mendip defibrillators were covered under the Council insurance.  The Clerk will check the policy.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

044/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

044.1/17

New Applications

 

 

 

 

044.1.1/17

2017/2148/FUL Two new dwellings (revised scheme following previous approval 2016/1441/FUL) land at Leigh Street (previously Kozy Kot) for Mr S Badrick

 

 

 

 

044.1.2/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by VGT, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to recommend the application for approval with one comment namely that the drawings shown now of the style of the houses is different from the design of the houses on which the Council were originally consulted.  It was noted that the application is fully consistent with the Village Design Statement.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

044.1.3/17

2017/2347/HSE Conversion of existing garage into dining area including the removal of garage door and replacement with window at Clover Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr S Coe

 

 

 

 

044.1.4/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to recommend the application for approval.  It was noted that the application is fully consistent with the Village Design Statement.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

044.2/17

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

044.2.1/17

2017/1222/FUL Change of use of part pasture land (pony paddock) to residential gardens space at Raglan, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip - approved

 

 

 

 

044.2.2/17

2017/1110/FUL Conversion of one dwelling to two separate dwellings at 2 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip  - approved

 

 

 

 

044.2.3/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

044.2.4/17

2017/1969/FUL Erection of a single storey building for use as a holiday let at Long Cottage, Tadhill Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Colin Matton - pending

 

 

 

 

044.2.5/17

2017/1788/VRC application to vary condition 2 (drawings) of planning permission 2015/1209/FUL to change design of plot 3 at Whitehole Quarry, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Patch - pending

 

 

 

 

044.2.6/17

2017/1698/HSE Single storey extension to principal elevation and decking area at Three Acre Annexe, Fern Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip and Mr M Young - approved

 

 

 

 

044.2.7/17

Reserved matters – Grove Shute Farm – CC reported that this was not for consultation but had been approved.

 

 

 

 

044.2.8/17

Enforcement – Apple Meadow View - CC stated that he has reported to MDC again that the chimneys have still not been installed and Plot 1 continues to have changes which alter its characteristics.  PF queried the appearance of GRP chimneys. CC to review the material specified in the planning application.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

045/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

045.1/17

The financial statement as at 18 September 2017 was approved and signed.

 

 

 

 

045.2/17

Transfer to NS&I – it was agreed to transfer a sum of £2,000 to the NS&I savings account.  The Clerk will action this.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

045.3/17

Payment to Internal Auditor – it was proposed by VT, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to send a cheque for £30 to Mr R Blunden with a letter to thank him for his work in auditing the accounts.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – the Clerk reported to the meeting that the bank mandate needs updating.  The two new Councillors were asked to take their bank details into the NatWest in Midsomer Norton.  A banking mandate was signed by SW, VT, VGT and PF and authorised by the Chair and Vice Chair.  The Clerk will take this into the bank.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

045.5 /17

Cheques raised

              Liam Biddlecombe – weed killing - £35.00

              Mr R Blunden – internal auditor - £30.00

              Clerk’s Salary August 2017 - £213.41

 

It was noted that a cheque for £117.60 to AED Locator had been raised at the meeting on 9 August to cover the annual maintenance charge for the defibrillators.

 

 

 

 

046/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

046.1/17

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

046.1.1/17

The Clerk reported that the area for cremation plots was almost exhausted.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to extend the area for cremation plots along the lower wall and if necessary into the area which is allocated for single depth burials.

 

 

 

 

046.2/17

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

046.2.1/17

The right of way was discussed and it was agreed that CC would contact Rights of Way for advice on how to go about rerouting the path to go around the new cemetery (over the pipe area).  It was noted that access would have to be maintained into the allotments 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

046.2.2/17

It was also agreed to contact Hans Johnson about levelling the area, removing the fence and making good.  DS will ask him for a quote. 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

047/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

047.1/17

It was noted that a sum of money has been received as  a Public Open Space contribution for S106 2013/1987 which is to be used for the provision or enhancement and management of an off-site public open space

 

 

 

 

047.2/17

VGT reported that she had spoken to various people about the use of a public open space and various suggestions had been made.  Some people had asked whether the new cemetery area could be used as an adjunct to the village hall for teas or for bowls until its use as a cemetery is required. However the Council were not keen to utilise the land for anything other than a cemetery.

 

 

 

 

047.3/17

Other suggested uses for an open space included activities for young people, allotments and a community garden area where there could be footpaths, benches and fruit trees.  It was noted that any garden area would have to be maintained by the community.  An extension to the Recreation Field was also suggested or utilisation of the area at the entrance to Park Hayes as a garden area. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

047.4/17

VGT agreed to spend some time looking into the various suggestions and will report back at the next meeting.

 

VGT

 

 

 

048/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

048.1/17

PCSO.

 

 

 

 

048.1.1/17

The next PACT meeting is on19 September at Mells and DS will attend.  Referring to the recent raves in the area it was noted that Barnsclose is now securely monitored and DS has a contact number to call in case of problems

 

 

 

 

048.1.2/17

Car parking – it was noted that there are several cars parked outside the school which are not known to people in the village.  The school have taken details and have reported the problem to the PCSO.  DS will check with the school to see if there has been any progress and also speak to Paul Knowles to see if he has any knowledge of what is going on.

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

048.2/17

Footpaths – DS had reported various problems including missing signs at Sparks Farm field and at the bottom of the village pointing towards Halecombe and numerous fallen trees across the footpath at Whitehole.  The work has been confirmed as in hand with the contractors but nothing appears to have been done.  DS will follow this up

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

048.3/17

Village Rangers – DS reported that since the last meeting another five hours of work has been undertaken by the Rangers including clearance of undergrowth at the Downhead crossroads and Knapp Hill junction. It was noted that the brambles on the pavement by Sparks Farm need to be cut back and this will be done.  Thanks were extended to Chris Ingrem for his continuing work on repainting the fingerposts.  It was noted that a couple of posts are incomplete. CC agreed to consider the report from PH about fingerposts before writing to SCC about the availability of spare parts.  DS stated that a Lead Ranger is required to organise the team.

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

048.4/17

Highways – it was noted that road sweeping will take place on 20 September.  Thanks to Gill Newbury for delivering the leaflets.  DS complimented the contractor who had cut the hedge from Soho crossroads to the village on both sides; the work was done very well.  CC reported that several faulty street lights had been reported.  It was noted that lorries accessing the work at Apple Meadow View are having to mount the pavements to avoid parked cars and the pavement is becoming damaged.  CC will flag this up to Highways.

CC

 

 

 

048.5/17

Recreation Field – the usual issue about dog waste was raised.  Also mentioned was the village Welcome Pack and it was suggested that this should be updated to include a section about dog walking and disposal of dog waste.  This could then be delivered to the new houses in the village.  CC agreed to update this.

With reference to the grass cutting contract, the Cricket Club have expressed an interest in tendering.  It was agreed that they could do this but it would have to be on the basis of mowing at regular intervals. A quote would be required in November.  It was suggested that the Open Space Contribution subject could be raised with the Recreation Field Committee for their suggestions, perhaps an update to facilities or provision of a multi-use space. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

SW

 

 

 

048.6/17

Memorial Hall – AGM 4 November

 

 

 

 

048.7/17

School – PF asked if someone else could cover the school as she is rarely in the village during the day.  SW agreed that he would be happy to do it as he already looks after the school website.  CC asked if some parents could be asked to check the Wig Wag lights – CC will email the times they should be lit to SW

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

048.8/17

SALC – information on the website regarding the Transparency Fund 2017/18 giving details of the new audit arrangements from 2018.  Funding is available to Councils to purchase the equipment necessary to comply with the new legislation.

 

 

 

 

048.9/17

Quarry – DS reported that the kissing gate on the path to Park Corner was stolen.  The quarry will replace it.

 

 

 

 

049/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

049.1/17

Mendip Parish Forum – 26 September.  MDC have asked for suggestions for making the parish forum more effective.  An email was received about this with a link to a survey and CC agreed to draft a response and send round to Councillors for amendments, after which it will be sent to MDC.  DS will attend the Forum meeting on 26 September.

 

 

 

 

 

CC/DS

 

 

 

050/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

050.1/17

·                  Parish Forum 26 September at MDC

 

 

·                  PACT meeting 19 September at Mells

 

 

 

 

051/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Information received regarding Mendip Rocks! which runs from 30 September to 28 October.  The poster has been put on the village website and circulated to Councillors.  Events include several quarry tours including Whatley, Torr Works, Halecombe and a geology and botany walk to Asham Quarry.

 

 

 

 

052/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

052.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 16 October at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.