MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 OCTOBER 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

 

 

 

053/17

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

053.1/17

Apologies were received from Simon Wolf (SW) and Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

054/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

054.1/17

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

055/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 SEPTEMBER 2017

 

 

 

 

055.1/17

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 September 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

056/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 SEPTEMBER 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – application has been made to PH under the Small Improvement Traffic Scheme for possible speed control on the Old Wells Road. 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

110.3/16

Painting telephone box – CC provided Chris Ingrem with the specification for the paint.

 

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – the Clerk reported that the NHS Health Check would take place on Friday 20 October from 9.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. at the Memorial Hall.  DS offered to open the Hall and be present until the Clerk arrives to take over.    Refreshments will be available if required.  It was noted that support for the event has been good with only one place still available.

 
 

 

DS

Clerk

 

 

 

005.4/17

SCC Fingerpost Sign Project - CC had considered the report from PH and had written to SCC about the availability of spare parts for the fingerposts - ongoing  

CC

 

 

 

030.1/17

Consultation on Proposals for introducing Public Space Protection Orders within Mendip District – this document had been received and circulated.  A response had been sent to MDC from the Recreation Field Committee which the Parish Council endorsed in their response to MDC.

 

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing 

 

 

 

 

036.1.1/17

CC reported that there is currently only one application registered on the housing list with a preference for Leigh-on-Mendip. 

 

 

 

 

036.1.2/17

CC had contacted various people with houses available to see if they were interested in selling them to a Housing Association.  This enquiry had met with no positive response.  However another Housing Association has been identified and CC will contact them.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

036.1.3/17

The option of building new affordable housing alongside those already existing has also been suggested.

 

 

 

 

043.1/17

Halecombe Liaison Meeting – the meeting scheduled for 18 October had been cancelled and rearranged for 22 November.  PH requested to see if a further meeting can be arranged to discuss the draft S106.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

043.2/17

Defibrillator Insurance – The Clerk had checked the policy and confirmed that the defibrillators are covered up to an amount of £5k - complete

 

 

 

 

044.2.8/17

Enforcement – Apple Meadow View - CC stated that he had reviewed the material specified in the planning application and no mention was made of the GRP chimney material.  

 

 

 

 

045.2/17

Transfer to NS&I – it was agreed to transfer a sum of £2,000 to the NS&I savings account.  See under cheques issued. - complete

 

 

 

 

045.3/17

Payment to Internal Auditor – a cheque and letter of thanks had been sent to Mr R Blunden as agreed – complete

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – the Clerk reported that she was still in the process with Nat West of updating the bank mandate.  The Clerk was asked to contact other local Clerks to see if they also have problems.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

046.2.1/17

New Cemetery – CC reported that he had contacted Rights of Way for advice on rerouting the footpath to go around the new cemetery (over the pipe area).  There may be an issue over ownership of the Drang although MDC maintain the entrance in Bellfield. Awaiting response.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

046.2.2/17

New Cemetery – DS reported that Hans Johnson was keen to take on the work of levelling the area, removing the fence and making good but was unlikely to be able to do this until January.  The cost for clearance was reasonable but disposal was extra.  It was agreed that DS would look into the cost of hiring a skip.   

DM suggested that the ground worker who will be employed in the churchyard soon may be able to help.  It was suggested that the top soil from the churchyard could be transferred into the new Cemetery area in return for removing the fence and hedge.  It was agreed that DM would investigate this option.

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

048.1.2/17

Car parking outside school – DS had spoken to the PCSO and asked him to contact the school.  DS will also speak to the school himself and to Paul Knowles.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

048.2/17

Footpaths – DS reported that the fallen trees across the path at Whitehole had been cleared.  The sign by Fern Cottage is still missing.

 

 

 

 

048.4/17

Highways – CC stated that he had reported the damaged pavements in Park Hayes and this has been scheduled for inspection and for work to be done in due course.  The cost of the repair will be met by the developer.

 

 

 

 

048.5/17

Recreation Field – it was noted that the village Welcome Pack had been updated to include a section about dog walking and disposal of dog waste as requested by the Recreation Field.  Recently arrived residents are to receive copies of this booklet and Councillors took copies to deliver.  

 

 

 

 

 

048.7/17

School – SW had sent a report which stated that the Wig Wag lights have been reprogrammed and are now lit at the correct time.

 

 

 

 

049.1/17

Mendip Parish Forum – 26 September.  DS attended the Forum at which there was a presentation from Somerset Waste Partnership. DS raised the problem of litter arising from the kerbside recycling collections. It was confirmed that this is a recognised problem and that any litter from a collection vehicle should be reported to MDC customer services giving the place, date and time and this information will be passed to SWP.  When travelling between collection areas the shutters on the vehicle should be closed and customers are encouraged to compress the contents of their bins and stack them to prevent paper escaping in the wind. 

CC has sent a response to MDC following input from Councillors with suggestions for making the parish forum more effective.

 

 

 

 

 

057/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

057.1/17

District Councillor - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Attended Scrutiny Meeting – report received on housing situation which noted that the greatest need is for one bedroom accommodation.

 

 

·                  Parish Forum – presentation from Somerset Waste Partnership on waste collection.  The three week period for non-recyclable waste has been delayed.  The major issue is around the amount of food waste currently dumped in the general rubbish. 

 

 

·                  Parish Forum – suggestions to improve attendance include a later start, better signage, provision of refreshments and more specific topics especially planning.

 

 

·                  Coleford housing need survey – AT to send a copy of the survey to CC for distribution to Councillors

 

AT

 

·                  Final consultation on the Local Plan Part II to take place in January.

 

 

 

 

057.1.1/17

Accident on Downhead Crossroad – CC stated that the fingerpost has been bent and asked AT if he knew who would be liable for any repairs.  It was thought that it would be the insurers of the car which caused the accident.  It was agreed that CC would ask the PCSO for details.  DS will have a look at the fingerpost to ascertain the damage and VGT stated that she had a named contact at Duo who might be willing to help with any repairs.


 

  

 

 

DS/CC

 

 

 

058/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

058.1/17

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

058.1.1/17

2017/2148/FUL Two new dwellings (revised scheme following previous approval 2016/1441/FUL) land at Leigh Street (previously Kozy Kot) for Mr S Badrick ­- pending

 

 

 

 

058.1.2/17

2017/2347/HSE Conversion of existing garage into dining area including the removal of garage door and replacement with window at Clover Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr S Coe - pending

 

 

 

 

058.1.3/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

058.1.4/17

2017/1969/FUL Erection of a single storey building for use as a holiday let at Long Cottage, Tadhill Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Colin Matton - approved

 

 

 

 

058.1.5/17

2017/1788/VRC application to vary condition 2 (drawings) of planning permission 2015/1209/FUL to change design of plot 3 at Whitehole Quarry, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Patch - approved

 

 

 

 

059/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

059.1/17

The financial statement as at 16 October 2017 was approved and signed

 

 

 

 

059.2/17

Request for grant from St Margaret’s Hospice – this was discussed and agreement made not to contribute as it was out of the area.

 

 

 

 

059.3/17

Welcome Booklets – these had been purchased and apart from those to be delivered to new houses/occupants in the village it was suggested that copies should be made available in The Bell, the telephone box, the church and the hall.  Information to be put in the village magazine to the effect that they are available either in hard copy or via the village website.  This will also be put on the Facebook page.

 


 

CC

 

 

 

059.4/17

Budget – CC asked those Councillors who attend other organisation meetings to ascertain what grants they may require for the rest of this year and next year.  The Clerk will obtain quotes for grass cutting.

 

 

ALL

Clerk

 

 

 

059.5 /17

Cheques raised

              Clerk’s Salary September. 2017 - £218.30

              NS&I transfer of funds - £2000.00

              C Cudmore – printing Welcome booklets - £28.95

 

 

 

 

060/17

CEMETERY MATTERS – see under 046.2.1&2/17 – Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

061/17

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

061.1/17

The following policies had been reviewed:

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Code of Conduct – approved to be reissued with change of date

 

Clerk

 

·                     Financial Regulations – DM/SW had reviewed and found no real issues.  To be reissued with change of date

 

Clerk

 

·                     Standing Orders – some minor amendments to be made and typographical errors to be corrected.  Then for approval at the next meeting and reissue with change of date.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

062/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

062.1/17

It was noted that a sum of money has been received as  a Public Open Space contribution for S106 2013/1987 which is to be used for the provision or enhancement and management of an off-site public open space

 

 

 

 

062.2/17

VGT reported that she had contacted MDC regarding any timescales or restrictions of use and had received confirmation that this money can be used to match fund. 

 

 

 

 

062.3/17

VGT distributed a document entitled ‘How We Can Make Leigh-on-Mendip An Even Better Place to Live’   which she had prepared in order to consult with the community on the best way of utilising this open space contribution.  It was agreed that Councillors would take a number of copies and distribute them at the next meetings of organisations or activities that they attend.  It was agreed that questions raised and suggestions as to the use of the open space should be made before the next meeting of the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

062.4/17

VGT also suggested and it was agreed that the next meeting of the Parish Council on 20 November should commence at 6.00 p.m. to allow people to attend an open meeting to discuss the suggestions put forward.  It was agreed that CC will put information about this on the village website and also on Facebook.  It was also agreed that copies of the document should be included in the Welcome Booklet when they are distributed as well as a supply being available in the pub.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

062.5/17

VGT stated that the process for applying for the funding after the consultation period involves contacting MDC who will supply an application form.

 

 

 

 

063/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

063.1/17

PCSO - DS attended the PACT meeting on 19 September at Mells.  The main presentation was by Ian Glover the Mendip Enforcement Officer. 

 

 

 

 

063.2/17

Footpaths – DS had received an email from Claire Haskins reporting that the sign at the bottom of the village had been dealt with however this is not the case.  DS had responded and had received an apology stating that the contractor had reported that it had been done.  VT stated that she had reported it on FixMyStreet.

 

 

 

 

063.3/17

Village Rangers – DS reported that vegetation has been cleared around the Wig Wags.  The grit bin at Hollybush has also been cleared. DS will check the bin on the road to Coleford. 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

063.4/17

Highways – the footpath from the Park Hayes bungalows to the garages is very mossy and has been reported to MDC.  A report of mud on the Old Wells Road was posted on the Facebook page.  Another signpost is nearing completion at Soho and will be put on Facebook when done.  It is missing a top piece and this will be included in the email to SCC regarding availability of spares. 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

063.5/17

Recreation Field – thanks were expressed to the Parish Council at the speed with which the Welcome Pack was updated.  Dogs on leads were an issue again during the month and in relation to this and the usual dog waste issue a response was issued regarding the Public Spaces Protection Order.  The Open Space Contribution will be discussed at the next meeting on 6 November

 

 

 

 

063.6/17

Memorial Hall – AGM 6 November.

 

 

 

 

063.7/17

SALC – the Clerk reported that SALC are sending a monthly news bulletin which is designed to give clerks and elected members an idea of key topics.  The October bulletin mentioned Policy changes including Data Protection Regulations which are likely to come into force in May 2018 and the Local Government Finance Settlement which is due in December.  Training was mentioned and there will be a free briefing for Clerks in January to include updates on changes to data protection law and the audit regime.

 

 

 

 

063.8/17

Quarry – DS reported that a lorry was seen by the school which was reported.  It transpired that the driver was new and had got lost. 

 

 

 

 

064/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

064.1/17

There were no points for discussion.

 

 

 

 

065/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

065.1/17

·                  PACT meeting 19 September at Mells attended

 

 

·                  Parish Forum 26 September at MDC attended

 

 

·                  AGM Memorial Hall 6 November

 

 

·                  Quarry Liaison Meeting 22 November

 

 

 

 

066/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Mendip Visitor Economy Conference – the Clerk had sent this to LOMCA and Graham Harris had attended the conference in Frome on 6 October

 

 

·                  Email from Somerset Community Foundation regarding the Sing for Somerset at Wells Cathedral on Saturday 16 December at 7.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

067/17

EMAIL ADDRESS

 

 

 

 

067.1/17

As there is a risk that the current Clerk’s email address may close, a Gmail address has been created. Clerk to arrange changeover.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

068/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

068.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 20 November at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall with an open meeting prior to this commencing at 6.00 p.m. to discuss the Open Space suggestions.