MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 NOVEMBER 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

069/17

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

069.1/17

Apologies were received from Paula Freeland (PF), Dave Mattick (DM) and Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

070/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

070.1/17

There were no declarations of interest. It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

071/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 OCTOBER 2017

 

 

 

 

071.1/17

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

072/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 OCTOBER 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – AT reported that PH had submitted an application for possible speed control on the Old Wells Road under the Small Improvement Traffic Scheme (SITS) and would be meeting with the Transport team this week.  One of the suggestions from the S106 Funding Report was a one way system for Park Hayes and it was suggested that this might be considered under the SITS in future. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – this went well with all appointments except one booked.  The Clerk will find out if this might be a regular event and if so consideration will be given to holding another session.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

005.4/17

SCC Fingerpost Sign Project - CC reported that the Council would have to pay for fingerpost spare parts.  It was agreed to identify the parts required – DS offered to have a look and report back to the next meeting.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing  - ongoing

 

 

 

 

043.1/17

Halecombe Liaison Meeting – the meeting is now scheduled to take place on 22 November - complete

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – the Clerk reported that the bank mandate had now been approved.  PF and VT need to have their signatures added to the mandate and this will be done in the New Year.  Checks with other Clerks intimated that completion of mandates is a common problem.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

046.2.1/17

New Cemetery – a meeting has been held with the Rights of Way Officer regarding direction of the footpath (see under Cemetery matters for report) - complete

 

 

 

 

046.2.2/17

New Cemetery – DS reported that Hans Johnson was keen to take on the clearance work but would not be able to do so until the New Year.  In the meantime DM has confirmed that the ground worker excavating the soakaway in the churchyard will remove the fence and hedge in return for using the new cemetery as a repository for the topsoil from the excavation work, the timetable for which has yet to be scheduled - complete

 

 

 

 

048.1.2/17

Car parking outside school – DS reported that the PCSO has been involved with this problem and knows who is responsible for these vehicles.  As this is illegal street trading AT will speak to MDC.  SW will also liaise with the school to keep an eye on the situation.

 

 

 

SW

AT

 

 

 

057.1/17

Coleford Housing Needs Survey – AT will send a copy of this to CC for distribution to Councillors.   Formal questionnaire will be available after Christmas

 

 

AT

 

 

 

057.1.1/17

Accident on Downhead Crossroads – it was noted that the fingerpost was damaged in this accident and information will be provided by the police to SCC as to the identity of the vehicles involved.  DS has inspected the post and it is an original and does look repairable.  It was suggested that contact should be made with Duo to see if they can supply a ‘sleeve’ to keep the post upright and VGT will find the name of her contact.    

 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

059.3/17

Welcome Booklets – it was noted that these had been distributed as agreed at the last meeting to new houses/occupants in the village.  A copy has also been placed in the church and pub.  Information will be put on Facebook in due course.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

059.4/`7

Budget – discussed under ‘Finance’.  SW will ask for a contact for the Cricket Club at the next Recreation Field meeting in order for the Clerk to obtain a quote for grass cutting from them.

 

 

SW

 

 

 

061.1.17

Review of Policies – discussed under ‘Approval of Policies’

 

 

 

 

063.3/17

Village Rangers – DS reported that vegetation has been cleared from around the grit bin on the road to Coleford - complete

 

 

 

 

063.4/17

Highways – all actions complete

 

067.1/17

Email address – The Clerk will commence using the new gmail address which has been created as soon as possible.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

073/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

073.1/17

District Councillor - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Planning Training being organised by MDC to take place in the New Year (details under correspondence)

 

 

·                     Mendip Licencing Fund was going to be part of joint procurement contract but for legal reasons cannot be sub-contracted and has to be handled by MDC themselves

 

 

·                     Wells Christmas Market will take place 20 to 23 December.

 

 

·                     Local Plan Part II will go to full Council in December to issue for final consultation however this may change following the budget on Wednesday.  This is likely to affect primary and secondary villages.

 

 

·                     Finance – Mendip have a substantial operating capability and are about to close two commercial property deals to bring in income which should help with filling in any shortfall between now and 2020.  This is a very positive step and means that services will be protected.

 

 

·                     Royal 70th wedding anniversary – the Chairman of MDC has visited three couples in Mendip who are also celebrating a 70th anniversary this year

 

 

·                     Resource issues on enforcement team – AT will be attending a meeting on this and will report back.

 

AT

 

·                     Chris Loughlin appointed as Project and Improvement Officer and will be managing and coordinating the Parish Forum and Parish Bulletins (see also under Correspondence).  The next Parish Forum will be on 16 January and the time remains at 6.00 p.m. although feedback was that it should be later.  AT will investigate this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

 

County Report

 

 

 

 

 

·                     There is a lot of pressure to sell off the remainder of the county farms on the basis of releasing capital – there is a very split opinion on this

 

 

·                     PH has attended quarry meetings at Whatley, Wainwright’s and Torr.  Whatley have stopped night production as stock piles are too large as the jetty at Hinckley is not complete.  Wainwright’s planning application is still subject to debate mainly around drainage issues

 

 

·                     PH attended a celebration in Wells Cathedral of the YMCA 125th anniversary at which the Coleford Cub Leader spoke and received a standing ovation.

 

 

 

 

074/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

074.1/17

2017/2726/FUL Conversion and extension of a barn to a single dwelling at Knaphill Farm for Mr and Mrs Norgrove

 

 

 

 

074.1.1/17

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to support the application.  It was noted that the Council had supported the previous scheme and the design is compliant with the Village Design Statement.  The Clerk will report back to MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

074.2/17

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

074.2.1/17

2017/2148/FUL Two new dwellings (revised scheme following previous approval 2016/1441/FUL) land at Leigh Street (previously Kozy Kot) for Mr S Badrick ­- pending

 

 

 

 

074.2.2/17

2017/2347/HSE Conversion of existing garage into dining area including the removal of garage door and replacement with window at Clover Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr S Coe - approved

 

 

 

 

074.2.3/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

075/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

075.1/17

The financial statement as at  20 November 2017 was approved and signed

 

 

 

 

075.2/17

Grant to Toddlers Group – the Toddlers Group has requested a grant of £100 for a CD player with Bluetooth to include the purchase of new CD’s.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to spend up to £100 on this request.  The school will purchase the equipment in order to reclaim the VAT and the Council will then pay the school excluding the VAT.

 

 

 

 

075.3/17

Budget – the following items were discussed

 

 

·                     Recreation Field – SW will ask at the next meeting for any grant requests for this year and ideas for next year

 

SW

 

·                     Church – there is an amount of £1250 in the budget

 

 

·                     Hall - £300 for next year, DM has reported that they would like to install LED lighting

 

 

·                     School – SW will ask for requests

SW

 

·                     Toddler Group - £100 for next year

 

 

·                     LOMCA - £50 for next year

 

 

·                     Defib training - £100

 

 

·                     Footpaths – no spend

 

 

·                     Village Rangers – suggest that the apron around the village signs is extended by laying down a membrane with gravel on top.  Suggest £100 in the budget for this

 

 

·                     Dog Bins – consider the need for another dog bin by the kissing gate from the Quarry walk. 

 

 

 

 

075.4/17

It was agreed that all councillors should give consideration to any other items to be included in the budget possibly from some of the ideas that arose from the discussion S106 Funding Suggestions. 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

075.5/17

The further draft of the budget will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

CC

 

 

 

075.6/17

Cheques raised

              Liam Biddlecombe – grass cutting - £400.00

              Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s salary Oct 2017 - £213.41

              HMRC PAYE – Aug/Sept/Oct - £138.51

 

 

 

 

076/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

076.1/17

CC reported on a meeting with Claire Haskins the Rights of Way Officer regarding the diversion of the pathway around the New Cemetery area. 

 

 

 

 

076.1.2/17

It was noted that there would have to be a pedestrian entrance through the wall from Bellfield and permission obtained from MDC to create a hard standing and for a drop kerb to be installed.  The path itself could be grass but preferably should be hard core.  The ownership of the Drang is still not known but is not felt to be an issue.

 

 

 

 

076.1.3/17

CC stated that he would carry out a pre assessment of the planning stage to get MDC agreement of what needs to put in hand, it may be necessary to put in one application for diverting the footpath and another to resize the cemetery.  Statements will be obtained from the various mandatory organisations and the neighbours will be informed of what is intended. 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

076.1.4/17

Removal of fence – agreed (see item 046.2.2/17) but no schedule yet.

 

 

 

 

076.1.5/17

It was agreed to have a discussion in the New Year on management of the area, i.e. whether it should be grassed or not. 

 

 

 

 

076.2/17

Path at south east corner of churchyard – this area had caused concern previously as it is the main access to the cemetery and churchyard and as such can become hazardous.  It was agreed to speak to DM to see if the contractors could make good this area when they finish their work on the drains.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

077/17

REVIEW OF POLICIES

 

 

 

 

077.1/17

The Code of Conduct, Financial Regulations and Standing Orders policies had been corrected where necessary by the Clerk.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to approve these policies.  The Clerk will send the corrected copies to CC for inclusion on the website.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

078/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

078.1/17

Following the distribution of a document entitled ‘How We Can Make Leigh-on-Mendip an Even Better Place to Live’ an Open Meeting had been held before the Council meeting to discuss a list of suggestions which had been made by parishioners. There had been a good response which had included ideas for other village issues which are to be followed up separately.

 

 

 

 

078.2/17

It was noted that the most popular suggestions include improvements to the children’s play area, a community garden, and provision of allotments all of which would incur some sort of ongoing maintenance.  SW stated that the school has a play area and it is a shame that it cannot be used by the village children during the school holidays.  He wondered if some agreement could be made with the school for access. VT suggested that a play area could be created within a community area to include such items as a wooden castle which would blend in with the garden rather than have swings and slides. 

 

 

 

 

078.3/17

Land – discussion took place about the acquisition of a suitable piece of land for development as a community area.  Two areas were mentioned, the field behind the Hedgerow and the ‘L’ shaped piece of land around the Recreation Field.  It was agreed that VGT in liaison with CC would draft a formal letter to be sent to VT as owner of the field behind the Hedgerow and to Rick Massey as owner of the land around the Recreation Field enquiring whether they would be prepared to make some land available and at what cost.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

CC

 

 

 

078.4/17

It was agreed that VGT would contact MDC to update them on progress and ask about using the money for the possible purchase of land for a community field which would gradually be developed to include a children’s play area, allotments and a community garden.  It was noted that planning permission would be required to change farming land to allotments and if the field behind the Hedgerow was used those neighbours would have to informed at a later stage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

078.5/17

VGT also agreed to make a draft available for the next meeting of the form to be sent to MDC.

 

VGT

 

 

 

079/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

079.1/17

PCSO

 

 

 

 

079.1.1/17

It was noted that there have been a spate of non-dwelling break ins recently.  Neighbourhood Watch was mentioned and it was noted that not all areas of the village are covered.  SW suggested putting information on the Facebook page to inform people what to do if they wanted to start a Neighbourhood Watch in their locality.

 

 

 

 

079.1.2/17

The quality of reporting from the PCSO was discussed and it was felt that there should be more information available on follow up action and clear up rates in the regular report.

 

 

 

 

079.1.3/17

Speed Results – CC reported that the average from the west bound camera was 26 mph, 85% of people were travelling at or below 32 mph.  There were three instances of vehicles travelling at more than 50 and 39 instances between 40 and 50 mph.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

079.2/17

Footpaths – DS reported that the signpost at the bottom of the village which had been knocked down has been put up again. The sign by Fern Cottage has still not been done – Claire Haskins will be informed.

 

 

 

 

079.3/17

Village Rangers – DS reported that another 9.5 hours of work has been done.  SW suggested that the Council should recognise the work done by the rangers and give them a gift.  It was agreed to include Chris Ingrem in this.   CC will organise. 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

079.4/17

Highways – street signs for Apple Meadow View are in hand from Mendip DC.  Salt bags are available from the Highways Depot in Frome and DS offered to go and pick them up.  SW will ask the school if they want some for their playground and will inform DS.  5 bags for the Hall (Sue to be informed) and 5 to the Rec.  CC will put information on Facebook about location of the salt.  It was noted that the sweeper is due on Wednesday and thanks were extended to Gill Newbury for distributing the leaflets.  Cars are to be moved by 9.00 a.m. VT mentioned that the road by the Grove Shute development has a large amount of mud on it.  CC agreed to contact the developer about this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

SW

CC

 

 

 

079.5/17

Recreation Field – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

079.6/17

Memorial Hall – Salt bin ready to be used

 

 

 

 

079.7/17

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

079.8/17

Quarry – liaison meeting will take place on 22 November.  Apart from the usual business the proposed Tarmac Community Fund will be discussed and is likely to be based on the Stancombe scheme.  CC stated that it will be strongly recommended that Leigh-on-Mendip has the first option on the available funds for requests meeting the Community Fund criteria as the quarry is almost fully contained within the parish with a close working relationship existing.  The village has also historically benefited from financial, material and personal contributions to the village community from the quarry.  DS is gathering information on the amount of money which the quarry has donated to local causes in the last few years.   

 

 

 

 

080/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

080.1/17

There were no points for discussion.

 

 

 

 

081/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

081.1/17

·                  Planning Briefing in New Year (see under correspondence)

 

 

·                  Quarry meeting 22 November

 

 

·                  Clerks Briefing 18 January

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

082/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Email from MDC regarding Briefing sessions with senior planners to take place as follows:

Ø    10 January at 6.30 p.m. at MDC

Ø    6 February 6.30 p.m. in the Assembly Rooms, Frome

Ø    15 March 6.30 p.m. in the Town Hall, Glastonbury

If you want to attend please let the Clerk know and she will pass the information to MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ALL

 

·                  Highways, SCC – salt bags available at Frome and Glastonbury depots on Saturday 25 November for collection.  Also information on any grit bins which need refilling to be sent to Highways by 24 November

 

 

·                  Your Guide to Winter Service in Somerset 2017/18 – Clerk to send to Councillors

 

Clerk

 

·                  Request from Somerset Waste Partnership on any recycling of Christmas Trees in the village – answered in the affirmative – the school provide this service.

 

 

·                  Email from Chris Loughlin the new Project and Improvement Officer (Engagement) at MDC who will be managing and coordinate the Parish Forum and Parish Bulletin.

 

 

 

 

083/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

083.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 18 December at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.