MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 DECEMBER 2017 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

James Hiscox (for item 089.1/17)

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

084/17

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

084.1/17

Apologies were received from  Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (PH) and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT)

 

 

 

 

085/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

085.1/17

VT declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

086/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 NOVEMBER  2017

 

 

 

 

086.1/17

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 November 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

087/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 NOVEMBER 2017

 

 

 

 

064.3.3/15

Highways – CC reported that PH’s submission for a possible speed control on the Old Wells Road under the Small Improvement Traffic Scheme (SITS) had progressed to the second stage - complete 

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – The Clerk will find out if this might be a regular event and if so consideration will be given to holding another session.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

005.4/17

SCC Fingerpost Sign Project - DS offered to have a look and report back to the next meeting (see under Highways) - complete

 

 

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing  - ongoing

CC

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – PF and VT need to have their signatures added to the mandate and this will be done in the New Year. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

048.1.2/17

Car parking outside school – this problem has been dealt with.  A report from AT indicated that he had spoken to Mendip Licensing who would like to know if there is a recurrence at any time - complete

 

 

 

 

057.1/17

Coleford Housing Needs Survey – AT will send a copy of this to CC for distribution to Councillors.   Formal questionnaire will be available after Christmas

 

 

AT

 

 

 

057.1.1/17

Accident on Downhead Crossroads – it was noted that the fingerpost was damaged in this accident and information will be provided by the police to SCC as to the identity of the vehicles involved.  It was agreed to wait until this information is available to take action on repairing the fingerpost.

 

 

 

 

059.3/17

Welcome Booklets – Information will be put on Facebook in the New Year

 

CC

 

 

 

059.4/`7

Budget –  The Cricket Club have decided not to quote for the grass cutting contract for the Recreation Field - complete

 

 

 

 

067.1/17

Email address – The Clerk will commence using the new gmail address which has been created as soon as possible.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

075.2/17

Grant to Toddlers Group – the school have agreed to purchase the equipment in order to reclaim the VAT and a cheque will be raised by the Council (see under Finance) for £82.50 for the cost of the equipment excluding the VAT – complete.

 

 

 

 

076.1.3/17

New Cemetery – footpath - CC stated that he would carry out a pre assessment of the planning stage - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

076.2/17

Path at south east corner of churchyard – DM reported that once the ground worker has completed work in this area the ground will be reinstated and fenced off to prevent access on that route which will allow it time to recover.  The plan will then be to reseed in the growing season and assess the area again after six months to ascertain whether further work is required – complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

077/17

Review of Policies – the Clerk to send the corrected copies to CC for inclusion on the website.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

078/17

Open Space Contribution

 

 

 

 

078.1/17

VGT had prepared a draft of the bid for the use of S106 funding which would be used for the provision or enhancement and management of an off-site public open space.  The project proposal at this stage is for the creation of new allotments which would include fencing of the area, ploughing and harrowing and making the allotments workable.  It is intended to have at least one allotment which is accessible for anyone physically disabled.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

078.2/17

An area of land had been identified as available next to the Recreation Field currently belonging to the owners of Manor Farm who are willing to sell part of the field for the project and await further discussions with the Parish Council on the detail and the amount of land required.

 

 

 

 

078.3/17

VGT reported that she had spoken to Vicky Higgins and David Pattison from the Recreation Field Management Committee who in principle were happy with the suggestion but do not want the Recreation Field to have to take responsibility for the management of the proposed allotments.  This would be undertaken by an Allotment Association.

 

 

 

 

078.4/17

VGT also reported that she had spoken to current allotment users at Bellfield who were happy to be members of a steering group to move the project forward.  One of the members has offered to do some costings on fencing.

 

 

 

 

078.6/17

The area of land required was discussed and it was agreed that the Council would purchase as much as it can afford.  A map showing the area under consideration has been requested from Cooper and Tanner by VT.

 

 

 

 

078.7/17

It was noted that the former owner of Manor Farm still owns some of the field and this will have to be taken into consideration.

 

 

 

 

078.8/17

The following was agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Discussion to take place with the owners of Manor Farm to ascertain how much they wish to sell.  They will also carry out their own valuation using Cooper and Tanner

 

 

VGT

 

·                  The Council will seek a valuation from Killens so there is no conflict of interest.  A sum of up to £300 was agreed by the Council for the valuation to take place

 

 

VGT

 

·         It was agreed that SW would draft some feedback for parishioners and distribute to other Councillors for approval. This would include information about maximising the amount of land bought so that although allotments will be the initial project other ideas such as a community garden or orchard and expansion of the children’s play area can be made in the future.  The Council are also aware that more and improved play facilities are required and the Council will continue to look at options to address this through other financial sourcesTop of FormOnce approved the information will be put on the village Facebook page.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SW

 

 

 

079.3/17

Village Rangers –  CC had organised gifts for the Village Rangers and Chris Ingrem as agreed at the last meeting - complete 

 

 

 

 

079.4/17

Highways – DS had picked up the bags of salt from the Highways Depot in Frome, one bag has been given to the school and the rest divided between the Hall and Rec in the new salt bins.

CC had contacted the contractors for the Grove Shute development regarding the amount of mud on the road - complete

 

 

 

 

 

088/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

088.1/17

District Councillor - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Resource issues on enforcement team – two new members have joined recently. 

 

 

 

·                     Parish Forum – the next forum will be on 16 January and the time remains at 6.00 p.m. although there was feedback that it should be later.  AT has taken this up with MDC and hope to get some feedback.

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

088.2/17

County Report - PH

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Rural Life Museum has reopened in Glastonbury.

 

 

·                     A303 upgrade – a decision has been made on the preferred route option for the Sparkford to Ilminster section

 

 

·                     SCC children’s services are to undergo a full Ofsted inspection.

 

 

 

 

089/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

089.1/17

2017/3053/FUL Conversion of an agricultural building to dwelling including biomass boiler fuel store, wood burners and solar panels on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottages, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr James Hiscox

 

 

 

 

089.1.1/17

Mr Hiscox attended the meeting for this item and gave an overview of the application.  It was noted that the original planning application was made through ‘Q’ class and had been approved but none of the items in the current application were applicable through this classification so a separate application had to be made.  There is slight increase in the footprint (250 sq. metres to 280 sq. metres) and no change in the height of the building apart from the chimneys. 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.1.2/17

It w.as proposed by PF, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the application.  It was noted that the changes to what has already been approved are fairly modest and are eco-friendly.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.1.3/17

Mr Hiscox left the meeting

 

 

 

 

089.2/17

2017/3132/VRC Application to remove condition 5 occupations for holiday purposes only and shall not be occupied by the same persons for more than 28 days at development of holiday retreat at Cooks Wood Quarry, Bector Lane, Stoke St Michael for Mr R Massey

 

 

 

 

089.2.1/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by VT, seconded DM and agreed unanimously to recommend that the decision be left to the Planning Officer.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.3/17

2017/3090/CLE Change of use of both the land and barn from equine to agriculture on land at Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs Julie Barton

 

 

 

 

089.3./17

The application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded SW and agreed unanimously to recommend that the decision be left to the Planning Officer.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.4/17

2017/3127/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions, 3 external facing materials, 8 lighting scheme, 9 ecological survey, 12 foul sewage scheme on planning consent 2017/1788/VRC at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

089.4.1/17

Although not officially asked to comment, the Council felt that this application should be discussed.  CC proposed that MDC should be informed that the Council had discussed the application and recommended refusal because the ecological survey is incorrect in that the site boundary does not include the development area especially the type 2 and type 3 house.  This proposal was seconded by VT and agreed unanimously.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

089.5/17

2017/3266/PAA Prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to 3 dwelling houses (class C3) and for associated operational development – building and land at Ivy Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for J Hudson

 

 

 

 

089.5.1/17

The Council had not yet been officially asked to comment on the

above application however it was agreed that CC would contact

J Hudson to see if there are any options for affordable housing in the project.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

089.6/17

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

089.6.1/17

2017/2148/FUL Two new dwellings (revised scheme following previous approval 2016/1441/FUL) land at Leigh Street (previously Kozy Kot) for Mr S Badrick ­- approved

 

 

 

 

089.6.2/17

2017/2726/FUL Conversion and extension of barn to a single dwelling at Knaphill Farm for Mr and Mrs Norgrove - pending

 

 

 

 

089.6.3/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

089.6.4/17

Grove Shute development – it was reported that the ‘old’ hedge has been removed and a new access gate installed.  The developers do intend to plant a new hedge but it was agreed that CC would ask the developers for an email explaining their actions which can be distributed to Councillors and neighbours

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

089.7/17

Local Green Spaces

 

 

 

 

089.7.1/17

CC reported that an email had been received from MDC which stated that the Council’s request for additional sites had been considered and assessed but none of the sites had been recommended for Green Space designation.  Reasons were given but if the Council object a formal response to the pre submission consultation which is scheduled to run from 2 January to 12 February can be made.

 

 

 

 

090/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

090.1/17

The financial statement as at 18 December 2017 was approved and signed.  It was noted that a sum of £1000 had been given to the Council by the Cookswood Development.  A sum of £2000 is expected from the Solar Farm at Mells Park by the end of the year.

 

 

 

 

090.2/17

Budget – the following items were discussed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Recreation Field – suggest extending the scope of the grass cutting to include the outfield area, trimming around the trees, pump track and wild flower meadow.  They would also like to raise £5k over two years to purchase a new climbing structure for children.  SW was asked to encourage the Rec Field to use the £500 which is in the budget for this year. 

 

 

 

·                     Church – it was noted that the Council is already committed to a match funding amount of £300 which was confirmed in a letter and this should be called in shortly – DM will speak to Margaret Loten.  There is a total amount of £1200 (including the £300) in this year’s budget which was agreed.  However it was noted that although the £900 could be put towards the ongoing projects it is unlikely that an invoice can be produced for that amount.  It is more likely that this amount can be put towards the work on the soakaway in the churchyard or the installation of utilities. It was suggested that if an invoice can be produced a contribution can be made towards the cost of the invoice.

It was agreed unanimously to budget for an amount of £1250 for next year bearing in mind the restoration work taking place and the development of the community area within the church.  It was agreed that DM would speak to the PCC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

·                     Hall - £300 for next year contribution towards new LED lighting

 

 

·                     School – SW reported that the school would like another bench for £296 and some parking signs.

 

 

·                     Toddler Group - £100 for next year

 

 

·                     LOMCA - £50 for next year

 

 

·                     Parish Plan Actions – First Aid/Defib training.   It was agreed that DM would speak to Vicky Batten about further first aid training with a possible aim towards a session for younger people.

 

 

 

DM

 

·                     Village Rangers – suggest that the apron around the village signs is extended by laying down a membrane with gravel on top.  Budget of £200 to include an amount for weed killing.

 

 

·                     Cemetery Expenses - £1600 grass and hedge maintenance and cemetery clerk salary. 

 

 

·                     Cemetery extension (Bellfield) – landscape, sow and cut grass £500.

 

 

·                     Capital expenditure – possible new dog bin on the quarry side of the road by the Kissing Gate.

 

 

 

 

090.3/17

Grass Cutting Contracts

 

 

 

 

090.3.1/17

Churchyard and cemetery - the quotation from Simon Biddlecombe was £65.00 per cut, two cuts per month from March to October.  This price would include the removal of clippings.  The cemetery hedge would be cut twice per year for £30 per cut.  It was proposed by CC, seconded DM and agreed unanimously to award the contract to Simon Biddlecombe for 2018.  The Clerk will inform him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

090.3.2/17

Recreation Field – a quotation had been received from Shepton Mallet Landscapes for the 2018 grass cutting at £40 per cut which is the same rate as 2017 and was accepted.  However a further quotation is awaited for the additional areas mentioned under the budget item above.  The Clerk will chase the quotation.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

090.4/17

Cheques raised

              Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall – Rent for Parish Council meetings 2018 - £154.00

              Shepton Mallet Landscapes – Recreation Field grass cutting - £672.00

              Leigh-on-Mendip First School – grant to Toddler Group - £82.50

              Mr C Cudmore – reimbursement for Village Ranger gifts - £14.00

              Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary November 2017 - £218.30

 

 

 

 

091/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

091.1/17

CC reported that the fence alongside the Drang would be removed very shortly. 

 

 

 

 

091.2/17

Fees – the Clerk reported that the new fees for 2018 would be presented for approval at the next meeting

 

Clerk

 

 

 

092/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

092.1/17

PCSO – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

092.2/17

Footpaths – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

092.3/17

Highways

 

 

 

 

092.3.1/17

Soho Junction

 

 

 

 

092.3.1.1/17

CC reported on an email received about the danger at the Soho Junction.  The homeowner (Mr Worley) at Soho Cottage has agreed that the vegetation on the opposite corner should be cut back to improve visibility.  It was agreed that Simon Biddlecombe (SB) should be asked to quote for this work.  VT agreed to message SB and ask him to speak to DS and provide a quote for the work.  This will have to be checked with Mr Worley to make sure he is in agreement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

VT/DS

 

 

 

092.3.1.2/17

PH and AT have been involved in this issue and their initial thoughts are that Somerset Highways should be approached for a SLOW sign to be painted on the road from Vobster about 30 yards before the Coleford junction and another SLOW sign on the approach from Leigh.  The white lines should also be repainted

 

 

 

 

092.3.2/17

Speed Indicators – it was noted that SCC have informed us that they will no longer be providing a community speed indicator device service to Parish and Town Councils.

 

 

 

 

092.3.3/17

Fingerposts – DS gave a report on his inspection of the fingerposts.  The Soho crossroads post needs a finial, Vobster/Dores Hill requires a spigot.  Junction at Whitehole Hill needs spigot and arm.  Downhead crossroads needs a spigot.  CC will try and get a price for these parts.

CC

 

 

 

092.4/17

Recreation Field – nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

092.5/17

Memorial Hall – nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

092.6/17

School – nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

092.7/17

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

092.8/17

Quarry – liaison meeting took place on 22 November.  There is a delay in Somerset in processing the planning application which is causing problems.   The question of the community fund was debated and there is a commitment to this which will generate an amount of approximately £15k per year to be shared between Mells, Whatley and Leigh-on-Mendip.  DS reported that it was argued quite strongly that Leigh-on-Mendip should receive the largest share of this fund at least 70%.  It was reported that the quarry have agreed to fund the marquee and toilets for the Village Fair again in 2018.  

 

 

 

 

093/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

093.1/17

There was no bulletin available.

 

 

 

 

094/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

094.1/17

·                  Planning Briefing in New Year – 10 January at 6.30 p.m. at MDC (VT, DS and CC attending)  SW will attend on 6 February at the Assembly Rooms in Frome

 

 

·                  Clerk’s Briefing on 18 January at SALC

 

 

 

 

094/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Letter from MDC regarding Precept for 2018 (to be discussed at the next meeting)

 

Agenda

 

·                  Notification of external auditor appointments for the 2017/18 financial year

 

 

 

·                  Email from Chris Loughlin at MDC with Group Manager Contact details.  Clerk to forward to Councillors.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

095/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

095.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 15 January 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.