MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 15 JANUARY 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

One member of the public for item 106/17 only

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

096/17

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

096.1/17

Apologies were received from  Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (PH) and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT)

 

 

 

 

097/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

097.1/17

VT declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project.  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

098/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON18 DECEMBER  2017

 

 

 

 

098.1/17

Item 078.6/17 – the sentence beginning ‘a map showing the area under consideration ……..’  was deleted.  With this alteration the minutes of the meeting held on 18 December 2017 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

099/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 DECEMBER 2017

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – The Clerk will find out if this might be a regular event and if so consideration will be given to holding another session - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing  - to identify possible sites, need and housing association – ongoing.

CC

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – PF and VT need to have their signatures added to the mandate and the Clerk will send them the necessary forms.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

057.1/17

Coleford Housing Needs Survey – AT will send a copy of this to CC for distribution to Councillors.   Formal questionnaire will be available after Christmas

 

 

AT

 

 

 

059.3/17

Welcome Booklets – Information has been put on Facebook - complete

 

 

 

 

 

067.1/17

Email address – The Clerk will commence using the new gmail address which has been created as soon as possible.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

076.1.3/17

New Cemetery – footpath - CC reported that the cost for the pre assessment of the planning stage could be up to £100.  It was agreed unanimously to cover this cost.

 

CC

 

 

 

077/17

Review of Policies – the Clerk to send the corrected copies to CC for inclusion on the website.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

078/17

Open Space Contribution – the following actions had been completed.

 

 

 

 

078.8/17

·                  Discussion has taken place with the owners of Manor Farm to ascertain how much they wish to sell.  They will also carry out their own valuation using Cooper and Tanner - complete

 

 

 

 

078.8/17

·                  A valuation is being sought from Killens so there is no conflict of interest.  A sum of up to £300 was agreed by the Council for the valuation to take place - complete

 

 

 

 

078.8/17

·                  SW had drafted some feedback for parishioners which was approved by Councillors and put on the village Facebook page - complete

 

 

 

 

088.1/17

Parish Forum – the time of the forum remains at 6.00 p.m. although there was feedback that it should be later.  AT will take this up with MDC and report back - ongoing

 

 

AT

 

 

 

089/17

Planning – The Clerk had informed MDC of all planning decisions agreed at the last meeting - complete

 

 

 

 

089.4/17

2017/3127/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions, 3 external facing materials, 8 lighting scheme, 9 ecological survey, 12 foul sewage scheme on planning consent 2017/1788/VRC at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip – it was noted that the comments of the Council are not recorded on the MDC website.  The Planning Officer has said that he has passed the comments onto the Ecologist.

 

 

 

 

089.5/17

2017/3266/PAA Prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to 3 dwelling houses (class C3) and for associated operational development – building and land at Ivy Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for J Hudson – CC had approached Jo Hudson about the possibility of affordable housing on this development.  She is considering options but will not be making a decision until the planning outcome which is due on 6 February.

 

 

 

 

089.6.4/17

Grove Shute development – CC had asked the developers for an explanation of their actions in removing the ‘old’ hedge and installing a new access gate.  An email had been received giving the reasons and stating that a new mixed species hedge would be planted shortly as per planning requirements.  - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

090.2/17

DM reported that he had spoken to the PCC about releasing the funds budgeted for the Church – complete

 

 

 

 

090.2/17

Parish Plan Actions – First Aid/Defib training.   DM reported that he had approached Vicky Batten about further first aid courses.  She had responded that she was happy to run another course and that this could be youth specific if that was what was wanted.  The next step is to choose some suitable dates and advertise for attendees - ongoing.

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

090.3.1/17

Churchyard and cemetery - the Clerk has informed Simon Biddlecombe that he has won the contract for grass cutting and hedge trimming in the churchyard and cemetery for 2018 - complete

 

 

 

 

090.3.2/17

Recreation Field – Shepton Mallet Landscapes have been awarded the grass cutting contract at the Recreation Field for 2018.  However a further quotation is still awaited for the additional areas – cutting the outfield area, trimming around the trees, pump track and wild flower meadow.  The Clerk will chase this quotation.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

092.3.1/17

Soho Junction – Simon Biddlecombe had quoted £150 for the work on the vegetation opposite Soho Cottage to improve visibility at the junction.  It was reported that the householder is happy with the work to be done and has agreed to control and maintain the area in the future.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to accept the quotation from Simon Biddlecombe.  The Clerk was asked to contact him to confirm this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

092.3.3/17

Fingerposts – CC to request prices for the various fingerpost parts as identified by DS – ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

100/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

100.1/17

District Councillor - AT

 

 

 

 

 

·                     It was noted that Coleford and Holcombe PC have discussed the allocation and checking of a suitable landing site for the Air Ambulance for night landings.

 

 

 

 

 

100.2/17

County Report - PH

 

 

 

 

 

There was no report available

 

 

 

 

101/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

101.1/17

2017/3300/HSE Demolition of existing single storey outbuilding/store, replacement with two storey extension at Melcombe View Farm, Soho for Mr A Flagg

 

 

 

 

101.1.1/17

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to recommend approval with the following observation.  ‘The Council observed that the roof scape does not match with the Village Design Statement and it was felt that this would be better if red clay tiles were used because the new roof scape is of significant size’.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

101.2/17

2017/2760/FUL Application for a non-material amendment for the inclusion of solar PV panel arrays.  Stone walling to replace timber clad elements to rear of Plots 6 & 7.  Removal of dormer to rear of Plot 6 and replacement with roof lights, 2 number small roof lights added to Plot 1 roof at Grove Shute Farm, Towns End Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

101.2.1/17

This application was discussed.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to recommend approval with the following remark.  ‘However please note that there is now a gated access into the ecological enhancement area from Townsend Lane’.  The Clerk will inform MDC

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

101.3/17

2018/0026/VRC Application to vary condition 2 (drawing numbers) of Listed Building Consent 2016/0262/LBC and 2018/0002/VRC application to vary condition 2 (drawing numbers) of planning approval 2016/1126/FUL at Rookery Farmhouse, Halecombe Quarry for Tarmac Ltd

 

 

 

 

101.3.1/17

This application was discussed. It was proposed by VT, seconded VGT and agreed unanimously to leave the decisions to the Planning Officer.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

101.4/17

STATUS OF CURRENT APPLICATIONS

 

 

 

 

101.4.1/17

2017/3053/FUL Conversion of an agricultural building to dwelling including biomass boiler fuel store, wood burners and solar panels on land adjacent to 2 Spring Cottages, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr James Hiscox - approved

 

 

 

 

101.4.2/17

2017/3132/VRC Application to remove condition 5 occupations for holiday purposes only and shall not be occupied by the same persons for more than 28 days at development of holiday retreat at Cooks Wood Quarry, Bector Lane, Stoke St Michael for Mr R Massey  - pending

 

 

 

 

101.4.3/17

2017/3090/CLE Change of use of both the land and barn from equine to agriculture on land at Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs Julie Barton - pending

 

 

 

 

101.4.4/17

2017/3127/APP Application for approval of details reserved by conditions, 3 external facing materials, 8 lighting scheme, 9 ecological survey, 12 foul sewage scheme on planning consent 2017/1788/VRC at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip  - pending

 

 

 

 

101.4.5/17

2017/3266/PAA Prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to 3 dwelling houses (class C3) and for associated operational development – building and land at Ivy Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for J Hudson  - pending

 

 

 

 

101.4.6/17

2017/2726/FUL Conversion and extension of barn to a single dwelling at Knaphill Farm for Mr and Mrs Norgrove - approved

 

 

 

 

101.4.7/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

102/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

102.1/17

The financial statement as at 15 January 2018 was approved and signed.  It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Cookswood Development and thank them for the £1000 donation.  The sum of £2000 had been received from the Solar Farm at Mells Park. 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

102.2/17

Budget – the budget was agreed and finalised with the following changes.

 

·                     16/17 actuals recorded

·                     17/18 forecast – Open Space valuation fee included £200

·                     18/19 Precept set at £7,400

·                     18/19 Cemetery costs reduced to £1,000

 

The Clerk will look into the fact that an invoice for the SALC subscription has not been received and confirm the savings account interest for 2017.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

102.3/17

Precept – it was proposed by DM, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to raise the precept to £7,400 for 2018/19.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

102.4/17

Grants

 

 

 

 

102.4.1/17

Memorial Hall – it was proposed by VGT, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to make a grant of £300 to the Memorial Hall as a contribution to replacement LED lighting.

 

 

 

 

102.4.2/17

School – SW reported that the school would like another bench costing £296 and also a grant of approximately £45 for parking signs.  CC proposed that the Council go ahead with this request and SW agreed to obtain the relevant invoices from the school.

 

 

 

SW

 

 

 

102.4.3/17

Church – It was agreed that the £300 previously agreed as match funding should be paid to the PCC. 

 

 

 

 

102.5/17

Cheques raised

              Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall – grant for lighting £300

              Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary December- £218.30

 

 

 

 

103/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

103.1/17

The Clerk presented the new fees for 2018.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by PF and agreed unanimously to adopt these.

 

 

 

 

103.2/17

Cemetery Hedge – it was noted that the Cemetery Hedge has not been trimmed.  The Clerk will remind Simon Biddlecombe about this.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

103.3/17

Maintenance of the Drang.

 

 

 

 

103.3.1/17

It was agreed that DM would speak to the ground worker to see what else he intends to do with the cleared area and ask for a quote for any additional work, i.e. more top soil.  It was agreed that the path needs to be defined and perhaps some more gravel laid but it was agreed not to erect a fence between the path and the cemetery area

        DM

 

 

 

103.3.2/17

VGT stated that several parishioners had raised concern about the state of the Drang footpath and plans to divert it.  CC stated that it is planned to obtain pre-planning advice from MDC on what would be involved in moving the footpath to run around the edge of the new cemetery.  The maintenance of the footpath will continue as previously and it will not be fenced.  It was agreed that CC would draft something to go in the Parish Magazine, on the village Facebook page and the website to inform parishioners of what is intended. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

103.3.3/17

DM stated that he would be meeting with Ellis & Co, the contractor for the Church nave roof repairs, and part of the discussion would be around the siting of their compound.  The suggestion had been made that this could be located in the area allocated to the new cemetery.  However after discussion it was agreed that this would not be a good idea. It was agreed that if further work is done on the ground gulleys around the church this area may be used for storage of top soil.  Following on from this the ground will be levelled, sown with grass seed and then mowed when required.

 

 

 

 

103.3.4/17

It was noted that other issues which will need consideration are a burial plan for the new cemetery indicating how many burial sites are available, whether plaques will be used on the wall for cremation plots and access from the churchyard to the area.

 

 

 

 

104/17

MENDIP LOCAL PLAN SITES AND POLICIES

 

 

 

 

104.1/17

CC reported on an email received from MDC giving information of the consultation on the Pre-submission draft of the Mendip Local Plan Part II from 2 January to 12 February.  The documents for consultation are available at http://www.mendip.gov.uk/localplanpart2 .  Leigh-on-Mendip has no allocation for new development as it is neither a primary or secondary village. There were no comments on the section covering “Other Villages”.

 

 

 

 

105/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

105.1/17

VGT reported the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Killens have been asked to value the land and will be sending a quote to the Parish Council

 

 

·                  Contact had been made with Harris and Harris regarding conveyancing fees

 

 

·                  An estimate of £1100 had been received for the cost of fencing but this does not include erection

 

 

·                  It is intended to start an Allotment Steering Group and a representative from the Recreation Field Management Committee will be invited to attend

 

 

·                  A draft of the bid will be sent to MDC although they do not need quotes at this stage.  MDC will be asked for their opinion as to whether the bid is the sort of thing they might accept with the appropriate details included

 

 

 

VGT

 

·                  There is a footpath which runs along the back of the houses and then across the field.  This may have to be moved.

 

 

·                  Agreement is required from AT and PH and this is not available at present because they have not been at a meeting since discussions started.  VGT will email them and state that this is what we are planning to do and ask for their support.

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

·                  A subcommittee of the Parish Council will be established to include VGT/CC and SW – regular reports will be made back to the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

105.2/17

The Parish Council fully supported the bid and the above actions.

 

 

 

 

106/17

DOG WASTE PROBLEM

 

 

 

 

106.1/17

A member of the public attended the meeting to raise the issue of dog waste in the village which apparently is becoming much worse on field footpaths and on the pavements which are becoming very dirty.  After discussion the following was agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     CC will write to MDC regarding pavement problem

CC

 

·                     CC will put something on Facebook asking for people to name and shame offenders if they see them failing to pick up after their dogs

 

 

CC

 

·                     It was agreed to consider a location for another dog waste bin at Park Hayes or by the stile into Sparkes Field. 

 

 

 

 

107/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

107.1/17

PCSO – PACT meeting 24 January at Kilmersdon

 

 

 

 

107.2/17

Footpaths – DS reported that SCC have asked for their annual return of hours spent on attending footpaths and volunteers will need to inform DS how many hours they have spent.  Last year the total was 230 hours.

 

 

 

 

107.3/17

Highways – DS stated that he had reported that the three bend markers near Green Shutters need attention and there is a pot hole close to Soho crossroads which also needs attention.

 

 

 

 

107.4/17

Recreation Field – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

107.5/17

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

107.6/17

School – SW reported that the school are happy to have a new dog waste bin by the kissing gate into the field.  The Clerk will check on prices and report back to the next meeting.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

107.7/17

SALC – the Clerk will check on the subscription for 2017

Clerk

 

 

 

107.8/17

Quarry – a query has been raised about access to the orchard that the quarry planted.  DS will follow this up in the spring. 

 

DS

 

 

 

108/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

108.1/17

There was no bulletin available.

 

 

 

 

109/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

109.1/17

·                  Planning Briefing took place on 10 January at 6.30 p.m. at MDC.  The Clerk has received the presentation slides and will email round to Councillors for information.  SW will attend on 6 February at the Assembly Rooms in Frome

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                  Parish Forum meeting 18 January at 6.00 p.m. at MDC

 

 

·                  PACT Meeting 24 January at Kilmersdon

 

 

 

 

110/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Email from SALC regarding seeking nominations for guests from Councils for a Buckingham Palace Garden Party on 31 May 2018.

 

 

 

 

 

111/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

111.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 19 February 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.