MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 19 FEBRUARY 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

One member of the public for item 119/17

 

 

 

 

ACTIONS

112/17

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

112.1/17

Apologies were received from Dave Mattick (DM),  Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (PH) and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT)

 

 

 

 

113/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

113.1/17

VT declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project.  PF declared an interest in grants to the PCC.  There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

114/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15 JANUARY  2018

 

 

 

 

114.1/17

Item 101.2/17 should refer to 2017/3361/NMA. This was amended and otherwise the minutes of the meeting held on 15 January 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

115/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 15 JANUARY 2018

 

 

 

 

132/16 and APCM 13.8

NHS Health Check Event – The Clerk will find out if this might be a regular event and if so consideration will be given to holding another session - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

036.1/17

Affordable Housing - CC will be meeting with Jo Hudson on 26 February to discuss this opportunity further.

CC

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate – the Clerk gave PF and VT their mandate forms to complete and take to a Nat West bank - ongoing.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

057.1/17

Coleford Housing Needs Survey – AT has sent a copy of the Housing Needs Survey for consideration - complete

 

 

 

 

067.1/17

Email address – The Clerk has commenced using the new gmail address - complete.

 

 

 

 

076.1.3/17

New Cemetery – footpath - CC reported that a cheque for £90.00 had been sent for the pre-assessment of the planning for the new cemetery/footpath.  The report is to be issued before 21 February.

 

 

 

 

 

077/17

Review of Policies – the Clerk has sent the corrected copies to CC for inclusion on the website - complete

 

 

 

 

 

088.1/17

Parish Forum – the time of the forum remains at 6.00 p.m. although there was feedback that it should be later – AT had taken this up with MDC - complete

 

 

 

 

089/17

Planning – The Clerk had informed MDC of all planning decisions agreed at the last meeting - complete

 

 

 

 

090.2/17

Parish Plan Actions – First Aid/Defib training.   It was agreed to propose the dates of 14/15 or 21/22 April to Vicky Batten and dedicate one session for younger and one for older people.  The Clerk will contact Vicky.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

090.3.2/17

Recreation Field – grass cutting contract – discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

092.3.1/17

Soho Junction – it was reported that the work at this junction by Simon Biddlecombe is not yet finished.  The Clerk has requested an invoice to be presented in due course - complete.

 

 

 

 

 

092.3.3/17

Fingerposts – CC has requested prices for the various fingerpost parts.  CC to discuss with DS - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

101.2/17

Planning – CC reported that the comments on the Grove Shute Farm application had not been reported on the MDC website.  Although the Council had not been asked to comment it was felt important to do so and the comments had been sent to the Planning Officer with a request that they are included.

 

 

 

 

102.1/17

It was agreed that the Clerk would write to Cookswood Development and thank them for the £1000 donation - complete 

 

 

 

 

102.2/17

The Clerk had been in contact with SALC and an invoice had now been received (see cheques for payment).  The savings account interest had been added to the finance statement - complete

 

 

 

 

102.3/17

Precept – the Clerk confirmed that she had informed MDC of the precept of £7,400 set at the previous meeting - complete

 

 

 

 

102.4.2/17

School – SW reported that the school would like another bench costing £296 and also a grant of approximately £45 for parking signs.  Invoices have not yet been received – ongoing.

 

 

SW

 

 

 

103.2/17

Cemetery Hedge – it was noted that the Cemetery Hedge has not yet been trimmed to the height of the fence.  The Clerk will inform Simon Biddlecombe

Clerk

 

 

 

103.3.1/17

Cemetery area - DM will speak to the ground worker to see what else he intends to do with the cleared area and ask for a quote for any additional work, i.e. more top soil.  It was agreed that the path needs to be defined and perhaps some more gravel laid but it was agreed not to erect a fence between the path and the cemetery area - ongoing

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

103.3.2/17

Footpath – CC reported that information on moving the footpath to run around the edge of the new cemetery  had been sent to the Parish Magazine and also put on the village facebook page and the website - complete

 

 

 

 

106/17

Dog Waste Problem - CC reported that he had written to MDC regarding the pavement problem and had put information on Facebook.  It was reported that there is one dog which is allowed to run loose and appears to be the main culprit.  CC will report this to MDC.  It was also agreed to obtain a new dog bin for the school area and the Clerk will go ahead and order this from Glasdon.

 

 

 

 

CC

Clerk

 

 

 

116/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

116.1/17

County Report - PH

 

 

 

 

116.1.1/17

A report had been received from PH which included items on the Ofsted report into SCC Children’s Services, the adult social care precept, delayed transfers of care and domestic homicide reviews. This was taken as read.

 

 

 

 

116.2/17

District Report – PH

 

 

 

 

116.2.1/17

A report had been received from PH which included items on Public Space Protection Orders, budget/council tax, planning, library consultation, county farms and highways.  This was taken as read.

 

 

 

 

116.3/17

District – AT

 

 

 

 

116.3.1/17

A report had been received from AT which included items on the Scrutiny Board, homelessness, the Planning Board and Planning Training.    This was taken as read.

 

 

 

 

116.4/17

Points to Note

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Enforcement – there are still issues with the Enforcement Team

 

 

·                     Street signs for Apple Meadow View – PH will chase but CC stated that it is the responsibility of the developer to erect the street signs

 

 

·                     Old Wells Road improvements - ongoing

 

 

·                Halecombe Quarry Planning application decision – some extra staff have been drafted in to the SCC team to help with the backlog of work.  DS stated that the application is going to be deferred again until July because of a local landowner.  A process is taking place to write an S106 in favour of this local landowner which obliges the quarry to pump water to feed his spring in the event of the spring drying out.

 

 

 

 

117/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

117.1/17

2018/0135/HSE Proposed extension to raise the eaves and ridge height of the existing dwelling together with an extension to the east elevation – The Annexe, Paddock View, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr R Andrews

 

 

 

 

117.1.1/17

The Parish Council discussed the above application.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to recommend refusal for the following reason.

 

 

 

 

117.1.2/17

Reason: drawing 968/2 states that the wall material is in natural stone and the suggestion that the first storey is timber cladding is not consistent with the Village Design Statement.  There should at least be stone on the elevations visible from the road.

 

 

 

 

117.2/17

2018/0064/FUL and 2018/0065/LBC – Rookery Farm for Tarmac Ltd

 

 

 

 

117.2.1/17

The Parish Council discussed the above application.  It was proposed by VT, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to recommend that the decision be left to the Planning Officer.

 

 

 

 

117.3/17

2017/2589/FUL Construction of two number additional holiday let units in disused quarry at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr J Patch

 

 

 

 

117.3.1/17

The Parish Council discussed the above application.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer but to ask that the following reservations are accepted

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Unproven economic need for holiday lets because holiday lets that were previously agreed at Whitehole Farm (three) in 2004 were subsequently extended from 28 day to six month tenure in 2012 (2012/0514) and tenants are now included on the electoral roll

 

 

·                     This is an intensification of this development into a woodland area above the quarry face

 

 

·                     The latest Ecological Plan still does not cover the eastern portion of the development where the previous dwellings of type 2 and 3 are located and where most of the badger setts are located.  This has been reported previously (2017/3127/APP).

 

 

 

 

117.4/17

2018/0161/PAA – Prior Approval of proposed change of use of agricultural barn to a dwelling at Mendip View, Leigh Road for Mr P Merret

 

 

 

 

117.4.1/17

Although not officially consulted the Parish Council discussed this application and agreed that it would be better if the roof covering maintained a degree of agricultural character.  The Planning Officer should review the roofing and walling materials as being appropriate in a rural setting.  MDC will be asked to make sure that these comments are recorded against this application.

 

 

 

 

117.5/17

STATUS OF CURRENT APPLICATIONS

 

 

 

 

101.5.1/17

2017/3132/VRC Application to remove condition 5 occupations for holiday purposes only at development of holiday retreat at Cooks Wood Quarry  - pending

 

 

 

 

117.5.2/17

2017/3090/CLE Change of use of both the land and barn from equine to agriculture on land at Old Wells Road - pending

 

 

 

 

117.5.3/17

2017/3127/APP Application for approval of details reserved on planning consent 2017/1788/VRC at  Whitehole Hill - pending

 

 

 

 

117.5.4/17

2017/3266/PAA Prior approval for a proposed change of use of agricultural building to 3 dwelling houses land at Ivy Cottage - approved

 

 

 

 

117.5.5/17

2017/1022/CNT Deepening of Halecombe Quarry– pending. 

 

 

 

 

117.5.6/17

2017/3300/HSE two storey extension at Melcombe View Farm - approved

 

 

 

 

117.5.7/17

2017/3361/NMA Application for a non-material amendment at Grove Shute Farm - pending

 

 

 

 

117.5.8/17

2018/0026/VRC and 2018/0002/VRC application to vary condition 2 Rookery Farmhouse - pending

 

 

 

 

118/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

118.1/17

The financial statement as at 19 February 2018 was approved.  S137 application was discussed which covers the granting of money to areas for which the Council is not responsible.  The Finance statement will be amended to show this. 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

118.2/17

Grass Cutting Contract – Recreation Field – a quotation had been received for the extra cutting to the pump track, field edges and play area.  After discussion it was proposed by CC, seconded VGT and agreed unanimously to cover the cost of this additional work up to a once a month cut for six months and ask the Recreation Field Committee to advise if this proves to be adequate.  With reference to the wildflower area this needs confirmation with the contractor who has recommended something different from the Wildlife Trust.  The Clerk will send a copy of the quotation to SW so that he can discuss this with the Recreation Field Management Committee.

 

 

 

Clerk

SW

 

 

 

118.3/17

PCC Grant Requests – it was proposed by SW, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously, that a cheque be issued for the previously agreed amount of £300 and a further cheque for £900 issued as budgeted.  These sums are to assist with the heritage and community work currently taking place at the church.    

 

 

 

 

118.4/17

Cheques agreed and raised

               SALC (2017/18) – annual fee £136.06

               PCC – grant £300

               PCC – grant as budgeted £900

               SLCC – annual subs (shared with Witham Friary) £57.50

               HMRC – Nov/Dec/Jan £128.73

               Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s salary (January) £218.30

 

The following previously agreed cheques were issued during the month

 

·                     Killens – valuation of land adjacent to Rec Field £240.00

·                     MDC – Pre-application fee for cemetery and footpath £90.00

 

 

 

 

119/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

119.1/17

Tom Rodford, Churchwarden of St Giles’ Church, attended the meeting for this item.  He reported that a complaint had been received from the daughter of a deceased parishioner whose ashes are interred at the east end of the church.  During the work on the chancel roof she has been unable to access her mother’s cremation stone and is still unable to do so because of the state of the ground around the east end of the church.

 

 

 

 

119.2/17

Mr Rodford stated that he had suggested making a temporary path for access to the stones (there are approximately 10 in that area) and clearing the earth back several feet for which there was some support.

 

 

 

 

119.3/17

After discussion it was agreed that the ground worker is under contract to the PCC and therefore should be the appropriate party to carry out any remedial works.  It was agreed that the Clerk would contact DM to ask him to get in touch with the ground worker to see what could be done to alleviate the situation, however the state of the ground may mean that nothing can be done until the weather improves.  The Clerk will also contact the relative who made the original complaint.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

119.4/17

Mobile Telephone Repeater – SW mentioned a recent BBC article about the Church of England’s agreement for church spires to be used to boost mobile telephone coverage.  DM had contacted PF about this who had responded with Historic England guidance.  If possible, it would benefit the village.   

 

 

 

 

119.5/17

It was agreed that PF would send the email trail to the Clerk who will add this item to the PCC agenda for the next meeting in March for agreement to pursue by PC &/or PCC.

 

PF

Clerk

 

 

 

120/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION (VT left the meeting during this item)

 

 

 

 

120.1/17

VGT reported the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The bid has gone to MDC

 

 

·                  Emails were received from both AT and PH supporting the bid.

 

 

·                  Planning is not required for the allotments but may be required for specifics.  The fencing would require planning if adjacent to the highway.

 

 

·                  Vicky Higgins has agreed to join the Allotment Steering Group as representative of the Recreation Field Management Committee

 

 

·                  A land valuation has been received from Killens.

 

 

·                  The possible diversion of the footpath which runs along the back of the houses may not be required or the diversion may be small.

 

 

·                  A quote for fencing is being requested from Charltons

 

 

·                  Plan of land – the boundary of the field is not shown on this plan and this needs to be clarified with VT to identify the extent of her ownership.

 

 

VGT

 

·                  The procedure for obtaining the funds from MDC was discussed

 

 

 

 

120.2/17

It was proposed by SW, seconded by DS and agreed unanimously to accept the bid as sent to MDC.

 

 

 

 

120.3/17

It was agreed to hold a further Open Meeting in due course, this time at the Recreation Field, to update parishioners on progress with a particular invitation to the households in the Hedgerow.

 

 

 

 

121/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

121.1/17

PCSO – DS reported that he had attended the PACT meeting on 24 January at Kilmersdon.  With reference to the damage to the fingerpost at the Downhead crossroads, there is no police report available in order for SCC to make a claim for the repairs..  DS reported that he has asked Hans Johnson to go up and look at it with a view to straightening the post.  It was noted that a picture of this damaged signpost had appeared in a local newspaper without prior notification and it was agreed that once mended a response to this article can be made.

 

 

 

 

121.2/17

Footpaths – DS reported that the sign opposite Fern Cottage has been repaired.  The annual report was sent to SCC and showed 242 hours spent on attending footpaths. 

 

 

 

 

121.3/17

Rangers – the rangers have cleared the pavement between the Bell and Sparkes Farm after the removal of the overhanging brambles by the landowner.  The rangers have also planted snowdrops around the Quarry Lane village name stone.

 

 

 

 

121.4/17

Highways – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

121.5/17

Recreation Field – SW reported that the Recreation Field Management Committee would like to use the £500 in the Council budget to tidy the play area and put some matting on the ground.  It was noted that an invoice is required for any items like this.  The question of responsibility for the new land area had been discussed and SW reported that the Committee understood that they would have to have some involvement but did not want to be responsible for the management of the area.

 

 

 

 

121.6/17

Memorial Hall – LED lights are installed and working.

 

 

 

 

121.7/17

School – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

121.8/17

SALC – the Clerk reported that she had received the latest newsletter from SALC which included a note that Clerk’s training on the new Data Protection legislation would be available in due course.  It also contains information on the new external audit procedures which the Clerk will follow up.

 

 

 

 

121.9/17

Quarry – DS reported that he had met with Vaughan and mentioned access to the orchard.  There has been a slight misunderstanding in that the orchard is adjacent to the Farmhouse and will remain private.  However the quarry intends to plant a public orchard in the valley.  DS stated that a villager has reported the state of one of the footpaths around the quarry and they had agreed to reinforce it with some scalpings as soon as the weather improves.  The Offices have moved to the Farmhouse now.   Visitors can report at the quarry entrance and then a member of staff comes from the Farmhouse to collect.  The Quarry have agreed to provide some gravel to go around the village name stones.

 

DS

 

 

 

122/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

122.1/17

There were no issues for consideration from the bulletin

 

 

 

 

123/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

123.1/17

·                  SW attended the Planning Briefing on 6 February at the Assembly Rooms in Frome.

 

 

 

·                  CC and DS attended the Parish Forum meeting on 18 January at 6.00 p.m. at MDC

 

 

·                  Councillor Essentials meeting to take place on 15 March at Wanstrow Village Hall – the Clerk will book a place for VGT.

Clerk

 

·                  Rural Housing Forum, MDC 28 March

 

 

 

 

124/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Email from Frome Town Council regarding SCC Pensions Fund

 

 

 

·                  Email from Administrator, Wessex Resolutions CIC who work with MDC providing subsidised loans to householders for home repairs with an advertisement to be placed in the local parish magazine

Clerk

 

·                  Email from Chris Loughlin, MDC reference developer payments to local communities

 

 

·                  Email from Cllr Peter Bradshaw, Mental Health Champion with an invitation to become a Dementia Friend and attend an information session at MDC at 6.00 p.m. on 20 March

 

 

·                  Essential Clerk Intensive Whole Day Training Session on Saturday 17 March from 10.00 a.m.

 

 

·                  Regular patient engagement bulletin from Somerset CCG

 

 

·                  Frome Rural North crime statistics for January

 

 

·                  Email from MDC regarding the next forum on 19 April.  The main forum will consist of a session with members of cabinet and strategic leadership.  Parishes are asked to submit questions or discussion points in advance of the meeting before 27 March.

 

 

·                  Information from NALC on Data Protections – also slides from Clerks Briefing January 2018.

 

 

·                  Email from MDC reference setting up working groups to support the Scrutiny Board.

 

 

·                  Somerset Libraries Consultations – emails and posters

 

 

·                  Termination of Speed Indicator Devices

 

 

 

 

125/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

125.1/17

The next meeting will be held on Monday 19 March 2018 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.