MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 APRIL 2018 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks (Clerk, AB) from Planning item (146), Philip Ham, County and District Councillor and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT)

PH

 

 

ACTIONS

141/17

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

141.1/17

Apologies were received from Dave Mattick (DM) and Paula Freeland (PF).

 

 

 

 

142/17

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

142.1/17

VT declared an interest in discussions around purchase of the land for the Open Space project. There were no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

143/17

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19 MARCH 2018

 

 

 

 

143.1/17

131.2/17 Planning reference 2018/0510/LBC should be titled “Conversion of existing barn structures into habitable spaces” otherwise the minutes of the meeting held on 19 March 2018 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

144/17

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 19 MARCH 2018

 

 

 

 

129.1/17

Ivy Cottage options – The Parish Council were unable to recommend any further development of facilities on Ivy Cottage land apart from the recently approved permitted development of the agricultural building into 3 dwellings which have been suggested as Affordable Housing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

045.4/17

Bank Mandate –PF has a mandate form to complete and take to a Nat West bank - ongoing. VT has submitted hers.

PF

 

 

 

 

129.2/17

Notification of Clerk email address – Change of email (clerklom@gmail.com) to be notified to all contacts – complete.

 

 

 

 

090.2/17

First Aid/Defib training – Course has been publicised for 2.30pm on Saturday 28 April. Clerk reported that only 6 bookings received and more were required to hold the course. CC to add reminder on Facebook.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

103.3.1/17

New Cemetery area – It was agreed to redefine the path and perhaps lay some more gravel – continues to be delayed until the ground dries out when completion of ground works in the church yard will also resume.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

 

 

106/17

Dog Waste Problem - CC had reported the stray dog to MDC. The MDC Enforcement Officer requires a witness statement prior to further action. CC to arrange for a witness to provide a statement.  

The dog bin from Glasdon for the school area (Quarry Lane/Halecombe footpath) has been ordered but not yet received.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

118.2/17

Grass Cutting Contract – Recreation Field – the Recreation Field Committee had agreed to the proposed cutting periods for all areas of the field. It was agreed to limit the wild flower areas to a monthly cut at the appropriate months. SW check with the Rec Field committee and to advise the Clerk so that final quotation can be obtained. Normal cutting had commenced.

 

 

 

SW

Clerk

 

 

 

 

130.2.1/17

Coleford Post Office closure. CC had emailed concerns to PH – complete.

 

 

 

 

132.3/17

End of financial year actions:

·                     Richard Blunden has kindly agreed to be internal auditor

·                     VGT reviewed the Risk Assessment and Assets. Agreed changes:

o       Change 10. “Election Costs” from M/L to Low. Clerk to update.

o       Noted Data Protection risk should be reviewed following SALC presentation

o       New Dog Bin deferred to 2018/19 assets.  

·                     Clerk to draft the minutes of the 2017 Annual Parish meeting – ongoing.

·                     Clerk confirmed date of Annual Meetings as 21 May. Clerk to invite Hall and Rec Field chairs to present reports.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath – continues

CC

 

 

 

133.2/17

Church Roof Contractor’s Welfare and Storage compound – cabins have been located in the new cemetery. DM had agreed conditions including leafleting neighbours.

 

 

 

 

 

134.1/17

Draft Newsletter – see agenda item. Complete.

 

 

 

 

135.2/17

Open Space - update letters to near neighbours. VGT to draft a letter for CC approval. Awaiting provisional agreement of the location.

 

VGT

 

 

 

136.6/17

Recreation Field – The Clerk had received the 2018 £1 annual rent.

 

 

 

 

145/17

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

145.1/17

County Report - PH

 

 

 

 

145.1.1/17

No progress on the Old Wells Road Small Improvement Scheme due to imminent reshuffle of Somerset Council responsibilities.

 

 

 

 

145.1.2/17

Halecombe Quarry planning decision delayed whilst a S106 is agreed regarding potential impact on local springs. CC asked PH to ensure that the Parish Council is consulted on all the issues raised on the initial draft S106, including the LTMF and community fund.

 

PH

 

 

 

145.2/17

District Report – AT

 

 

 

 

145.2.1/17

AT had held a site meeting with Chris Betty of Highways who agreed to improved signage at the approach to the blind Coleford junction from the Vobster direction at Soho. Visibility at the Soho crossroads has been improved but remains a problem on the NE corner.

 

 

 

 

145.3/17

District Report– PH

 

 

 

 

145.3.1/17

The first “Changing Places” facility has been opened in Frome to provide public toilet facilities for people with acute physical and learning disabilities

 

 

 

 

145.3.2/17

Concern was raised about the lack of street sweeping. PH stated that some rural sweeping had been reduced and suggested that Liz Dawson at MDC should be contacted if sweeping was needed.  CC to action.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

145.3.3/17

PH had reminded the Apple Meadow View developer of the outstanding planning requirement for chimneys.

 

 

 

 

146/17

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

146.1/17

2018/0659/VRC Variation of conditions 2 (drawing numbers); 001 and 002A on planning approval 2017/0947/VRC to change the corner of plot 6. Grove Shute Farm Towns End Lane BA3 5QT

 

 

 

 

146.1.1/17

The above application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by SW and agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer but to point out again that the latest plan does not show the recently installed gateway into the Ecological Enhancement Area from Townsend Lane.

 

 

 

 

146.2/17

STATUS OF CURRENT APPLICATIONS

 

 

 

 

 

A decision has been made on the following since the previous meeting:

 

 

 

 

146.2.1/17

2018/0411/CLP Lawful development certificate for the erection of No. 3 Dwellinghouses (Class C3) and for associated operational development. - Land And Building At Ivy Cottage Quarry Lane Leigh On Mendip - lawful

 

 

 

 

147/17

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

147.1/17

The finance statement as at 31.03.18 (end of financial year) was approved and signed along with the bank statement for 31.03.18

 

 

 

 

147.2/17

The finance statement as at 16.04.18 was approved and signed and reconciled against the bank statement.

 

 

 

 

147.3/17

Grant for PCC – the PCC had requested a grant of £380 for the cost of a new cable to replace the supply to the under pew heating at St Giles’.  It was noted that this sum is available within the budget as agreed for 2018/19.  It was proposed by SW, seconded by VT and agreed unanimously to make a grant of £380 as requested.

 

147.4/17

Recreation Field Grass Cutting Quote acceptance – see item 118.2/17 The Clerk will draft confirmation to Shepton Mallet Landscapes but will share with SW before sending.

 

 

 

 

147.5/17

Receipt for Recreation Field Rent – it was noted that the Recreation Field had paid their rent of £1 for 2018.

 

 

 

 

147.6/17

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

·                    HMRC – February/March - £98.00

 

 

·                     Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary (March) £213.41

 

 

·                     AED Locator  - Defibrillator annual monitoring - £117.60

 

 

·                     Parochial Church Council of Leigh-on-Mendip with Downhead – grant for electrical work - £380.00

 

 

 

 

148/17

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

148.1/17

CC distributed a plan of the new cemetery showing the number of burial plots (30-with Drang, 35 with diversion) and cremation plots (50) which would be available. 

 

 

 

 

148.2/17

It was agreed that there was no urgency to divert the footpath.  CC agreed to pursue the question of who owns the Drang.  It was noted that at some point consideration would have to be given to access from the present churchyard.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

148.3/17

It was noted that maintenance to the Drang will be carried out as soon as the ground has dried out.

 

 

 

 

149/17

REPAIR OF DOWNHEAD CROSSROADS FINGERPOST

 

 

 

 

149.1/17

A quote had been received which was agreed as being excessive and DS agreed to decline it.  It was agreed to approach a resident of Apple Meadow view who works in conservation to see if they know of someone who may be able to carry out the repair.  Otherwise it was agreed that it might be worth putting together a working party to see if the repair could be done ourselves.

 

 

 

 

150/17

PREPARATION OF 2018 NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

150.1/17

The final draft of the newsletter had been agreed.  The Clerk will print 250 copies and deliver to CC who will provide the distribution list to Councillors.  The distribution needs to take place this month.

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

151/17

OPEN SPACE CONTRIBUTION

 

 

 

 

151.1/17

VGT reported that the bid is with the MDC Legal Team who are drafting the agreement.

 

 

 

 

151.2/17

A meeting had been held with VT (vendor) and CC, VGT and SW. VT had agreed to propose a price for a suitable area of land to the west of the Recreation Field and any conditions. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

151.3/17

VT tabled a provisional offer for approximately 1½ acres. Conditions would include fencing, restrictions on use and an overage clause. Whilst this was discussed, VT left the meeting.  In principle this offer was acceptable. VT was thanked for the offer. VT agreed to confirm this offer in writing/email.

 

 

 

VT

 

 

 

151.3/17

VGT to ask the proposed allotment group to provide estimates of the size and number of the allotments required.

VGT

 

 

 

151.4/17

The question of a land search was raised and it was agreed to ask VT to share the search done on that piece of land if available.  The length of time of the viability of a search, either 6 or 12 months, needs to be checked

 

 

 

 

151.5/17

Actions

 

 

·                     VT to check whether the size of the land is 1.25 or 1.5 acres

VT

 

·                     VGT to send a letter to the households bordering the land and

copy the Clerk

VGT

 

·                     CC to send a copy of the map to VGT and copy the Clerk

CC

 

·                     PH will speak to the legal department at MDC to expedite

PH

 

·                     VT to check and copy the land search

VT

 

·                   Allotment Group to provide estimates of allotment size and numbers

VGT

 

·                     VT to confirm offer in writing/email

VT

 

 

 

152/17

ANNUAL MEETING ARRANGEMENTS

 

 

 

 

152.1/17

This will take place on Monday 21 May with the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council at 7.00 p.m. and the Annual Parish Meeting at 8.00 p.m.  Refreshments will be provided.  The Clerk will contact the Chair of the Recreation Field and Memorial Hall to request their annual reports.  The Clerk will also check the Standing Orders to ascertain the detail of what needs to be covered at the Annual meeting.  The Clerk will also provide a schedule of meetings for the 2018/19.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

153/17

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

153.1/17

PCSO – it was noted that the parked cars outside the school are back.  The local PCSO has been informed of the problem.

 

 

 

 

153.2/17

Footpaths – the tree blocking the path from Bellfield to Hookey Lane had been removed – thanks go to Phil and Bridget Swift for carrying out this work.  The landowner had been informed and was happy for this to have been done.

 

 

 

 

153.3/17

Village Rangers – There has been no activity during the winter months and the jobs are now building up including preparation of the telephone box preparatory to painting.  The warning posts on the bend near Green Shutters need to be straightened.  The ivy on the church wall has been inspected but cannot be cut until August. 

 

 

 

 

153.4/17

Highways – the Soho hedge cutting was still not complete

 

 

 

 

153.5/17

Recreation Field – an issue with the Cricket Club has now been resolved. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

153.6/17

School – there has been an issue with a vehicle hitting a car which was parked on the Corner Cottage bend.  DS stated that he had mentioned it to the PCSO.  The school now have their new parking sign. 

 

 

 

 

153.7/17

Memorial Hall – 12 May – maintenance morning

 

 

 

 

153.8/17

SALC – Data Protection training will take place on 22 May.

Clerk

 

 

 

153.9/17

Quarry – DS confirmed that a TARMAC lorry will attend the Village Fair.  Quarry tours will also take place.

 

 

 

 

154/17

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

154.1/17

Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

155/17

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Parish Forum on 19 April at MDC DS to attend

DS

 

·                     First Aid Training – 28 April at 2.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall. 

 

 

 

 

156/17

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·              Letter from Life Education requesting a grant towards their work of providing health, wellbeing and drug prevention education to the children of Leigh-on-Mendip school.  The Clerk will send this to SW.

 

 

Clerk

 

·              SALC – Governance and Accountability for Smaller Authorities Practitioners Guide for 2018/19

 

 

 

 

157/17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

157.1/17

Annual Meeting of the Parish Council (7.00 p.m.) and Annual Parish Meeting (8.00 p.m.) on Monday 21 May 2018.