MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 15 APRIL 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore (Chairman)

CC

 

Dave Mattick

DM

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

Simon Wolf

SW

 

 

 

In attendance

Aaron Pierce, Director of T & A Land Associates Ltd

 

 

Matt Williams, Planning Consultant and Partner at Brimble Lea & Partners

 

 

4 members of the public

 

 

 

ACTIONS

0146/18

APOLOGIES

 

 

 

 

0146.1/18

Apologies were received from Anthea Brooks (AB) Clerk, Vicki Taylor (VGT), Philip Ham (PH) District and County Councillor, Alan Townsend (AT) District Councillor.  SW took the minutes.

 

 

 

 

0147/18

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS / REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

0147.1/18

There were no declarations of interest or requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0148/18

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 MARCH 2019

 

 

 

 

0148.1/18

It was noted that the word ‘budget’ was duplicated in item 131.5/18.

The minutes of the meeting held on 18 March 2019 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0149/18

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 MARCH 2019

 

 

 

 

133.1/17

Determine ownership of the “Drang” footpath CC reported that there was no owner shown on the 1903 archive information. Thanks were given to Trish Gronow for copies of old deeds. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme – pending approval - ongoing.

PH

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – MDC is now talking about cutting lower branches from the yew trees rather than reducing their height. CC is still chasing for a response from MDC about this.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

039.2/18

Cemetery - It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

055.2/18

New Cemetery – The area has been rotated and seeded. Complete.

 

 

 

 

055.4/18

Boundary Fence (New Cemetery) – PF has spoken to the owner’s son and the owner has given him instructions to find contractors to repair the wall. They are getting quotes. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

084.2./18

Grass Cutting – Contracts confirmed. Complete.

 

 

 

 

086.1/18

Review Of Policies – Updating outstanding. See list in previous minutes.

Clerk

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications, No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 –  CC and SW to consider. Ongoing

 

CC/SW

 

 

 

131.4/18

Allotment Screening – Mr Eastwood informed of the decision. Complete.

 

 

 

 

131.5/18

Open Space - VGT to provide a project budget prior to the Council approving any fencing orders. Complete.

 

 

 

 

 

131.7/18

Spraying – letter delivered to landowner. Complete.

 

 

 

 

132.1/18

Fingerpost Spares - CC & PF to provide PH with contacts for Fingerpost spares & repairs. Complete.

 

 

 

 

132.2/18

District Councillors

AT agreed to speak to Planning regarding which applications are referred to the Parish Council (e.g. VRC, APP, PAA, AGB) – ongoing.

PH was requested to explain the significant reduction in Special Expenses and the impact on the maintenance of Closed Churchyards - ongoing.  

 

AT

 

PH

 

 

 

133.1/18

Planning – Comments on 2019/0269/HSE submitted. Complete.

 

 

 

 

135.2/18

The payee for cheque #928 was corrected as per invoice and countersigned. Clerk to update records. To be confirmed.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

135.3/18

Cheque for Clerk’s Salary and expenses – February 2019 to be signed. See 153.4/18 below. Complete.

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at April meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

138.1/18

Notice of Elections and nomination papers issued. Complete.    

 

 

 

 

150/18

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS – none given

 

 

 

 

151/18

NEW PLANNING APPLICATIONS

 

 

 

 

151.1/18

2019/0524/VRC  Application to remove condition 3 (ancillary dwelling unit) of planning approval 112038/002 (Change of use of barn from ancillary storage to residential annexe) - Hollybush Barn Hollybush Cottage Knapp Hill Leigh On Mendip  BA3 5QY

 

 

The application was discussed and it was proposed by PF, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer on the basis that it was a planning policy decision. SW to inform MDC.

 

 

SW

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

151.2/18

2019/0575/APP Application for approval of details reserved by condition 3 (external facing materials) on planning consent 2018/3004/VRC - Land Adj To 2 Spring Cottages Blackers Lane Leigh On Mendip  BA3 5QU

 

 

CC had written to MDC asking for details about this application because there were no documents on the MDC planning portal for it. The response was that the details were not out for consultation because the approval of conditions is a matter between the Local Planning Authority and the Applicant since the Council has already approved the application where representation has already been made. This response was not acceptable as external materials have a significant impact on the adherence to the Village Design Statement.

 

This has been passed to AT to be included in his open action (132.2/18) regarding which applications are passed to the PC.

 

 

 

 

151.3/18

2019/0621/HSE Proposed two storey rear extension and single storey side extension and associated alterations - Hollybush Cottage Knapp Hill Leigh On Mendip BA3 5QY

 

 

The application was discussed and a member of the public who was present at the meeting was content with the plans.

 

PF raised two issues related to the Village Design Statement:

 

Item 14 states that, “A typical building style of new developments should … have a steeply pitched roof of double roman or plain terracotta tiles.” The proposed changes make an existing roof less steeply pitched.

 

Item 15 states that, “The size, style and materials used for doors and windows should match those of the original building and/or adjacent buildings, thus retaining the local characteristics of the particular site.” Some of the proposed new windows do not match the existing ones or ones they are replacing.

 

It was proposed by PF, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer but to mention the two above points and link to the Village Design Statement in the response email.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SW

 

 

 

152/18

CURRENT APPLICATIONS AND PLANNING MATTERS

 

 

 

 

152.1/18

2019/0269/HSE  New Treatment Plant Tweed Farmhouse The Green Coleford BA3 5LY – approved

 

 

 

 

152.2/18

2019/0435/PAA Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwellinghouse (Use Class C3), and for associated operational development. - Land At 367524 146177 Old Wells Road Leigh On Mendip Shepton Mallet Somerset - pending

 

 

 

 

152.3/18

 

Proposed Housing Development on property of Ivy Cottage

 

Matt Williams and Aaron Pierce presented some initial plans for the proposed development of 50 dwellings comprising one to four bedroom houses.

 

It was stated that the school had been consulted about the development and were supportive of it because it would help with the sustainability of the school now that it was becoming a primary school rather than a first school. The school would also welcome the additional land and private car park which the development would offer it.

 

There would be a focus on affordable homes for ownership in addition to the more usual affordable homes for rental.

 

The plans were discussed and concerns raised about how the road layouts appear to lead to the boundary of more land which could potentially be used for development. This was said to be purely coincidental.

 

Additional concerns were raised about traffic congestion, limited amenities in the village, limited public transport and not adhering to the Village Design Statement or Local Plan.

 

There is to be a public presentation of the proposal. The Parish Council confirmed that it would be in favour of the developer commissioning an independent Housing Needs Survey if the Parish Council has full involvement and approval over the questions asked.

 

Following the discussion two members of the public left as did Mr Williams and Mr Pierce.

 

 

 

 

153/18

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

153.1/18

The Financial Statements as at 31 March 2019 and 15 April 2019 were reviewed and it was noted that the £1 rent from the Recreation Field Management Committee had been omitted.  CC will update the statements and sign them off.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

153.2/18

An Audit of Assets needs to be undertaken before the APCM. The current list of assets is on the website and DS will get a copy and check it.

 

DS

 

 

 

153.3/18

Grant Request towards the cost of an insulated oak bookcase in front of the West Door of St Giles' church to provide a children's library and community information space.

The budget for this has been previously agreed, the actual request for the funds is taking place early in the financial year so that the order for the work can be placed and scheduled in.

PF and DM declared an interest and did not vote.

VT proposed and DS seconded the approval of £1,250. It was unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

153.4/18

Cheques agreed and issued

 

 

·         Mrs A  Brooks – Clerk’s Salary/expenses – Feb 2019 - £214.82

·         Mrs A  Brooks – Clerk’s Salary/expenses – Mar 2019 - £214.42

·         HMRC - for Jan, Feb, Mar -  £150.60

·         Frank Higgins - fingerpost materials -  £34.51

·         Chris Cudmore - Drang Archive Records -  £16.85

  • Rose Martin – Allotments safety fencing and tape -  £28.94

·         PCC of LoM with Downhead – grant - £1,250

 

 

 

 

 

154/18

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

154.1/18

The question of whether the new cemetery area needed watering to help the grass growth was raised. It was agreed to monitor the situation and if a lengthy dry spell occurs then to take action.

 

 

 

 

 

154.2/18

New cemetery fees were presented. They represent a small increase over the previous year. CC proposed, SW seconded. Unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

155/18

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

155.1/18

Spraying has been done and thanks were given to the land owners for allowing it to take place before the purchase completes.

 

The PC’s solicitors asked DM some questions via letter which he has replied to. In essence they wanted an address for the PC (AB’s given) and to confirm that searches are not required, unless advised.

 

VT said that the vendor’s solicitors have asked several questions but to answer them all she needs the searches back which are currently with the PC’s solicitor. DM has asked for them and will continue to chase.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

155.2/18

Allotments Constitution & Rules, Tenant Lease - These have now been formally issued and at the next meeting of the Allotments Working Group a Chair and Treasurer of the Allotments Association will be voted on.

 

 

 

 

155.3/18

Finances - Currently the estimated spend is £593 below the allocated funds but this does not include fencing costs. Quotes are still outstanding for this. Ploughing and harrowing costs are expected to be minimal.

 

 

 

 

156/18

PREPARATION OF PARISH NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

156.1/18

The draft was agreed. CC will print and distribute to PC members for distribution to all households in the parish.

CC / ALL

 

 

 

157/18

PARISH ELECTIONS

 

 

 

 

157.1/18

Only 4 nominations and therefore an election will not be necessary.

 

 

 

 

158/18

PROTOCOL FOR THE DEATH OF A SENIOR FIGURE

 

 

 

 

158.1/18

MDC had recently issued this document. DM will raise the subject with the PCC as it was felt that if the Parish were to do anything it would centre around the church. However the intention is to let MDC handle such situations unless it is deemed necessary to do something more locally.

DM

 

 

 

 

 

 

158.2/18

CC will reply to Mendip regarding our plan.

CC

 

 

 

158.3/18

DM will ask the PCC to confirm who would lower the flag to half-mast.

DM

 

 

 

159/18

HEALTH AND SAFETY – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

160/18

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

160.1/18

PCSO – At the Beat Surgery a new assistant PCSO was introduced.

PCSO, Mike Storey, is pleased about the reception when the beat surgery is held in the parish.

The next PACT meeting is on Tuesday 16 April in Nunney. DS to attend.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

160.2/18

Footpaths – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

160.3/18

Village Rangers – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

160.4/18

Highways - The painting of the Downhead signpost has been finished.

DS proposed buying a gift for Chris Ingrem to thank him for all of his hard work painting the parish fingerposts. CC seconded and it was unanimously agreed. £30 was approved. DS will buy the gift.

 

The village streets had been swept on 27th March. This was now on a demand basis rather than a regular schedule.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

160.5/18

Recreation Field – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

160.6/18

Memorial Hall – There are still problems with the roof leaking. After investigations it appears that the cause may be the flat roof extension.

 

On 19 May the Bishop is coming to rededicate the church. Refreshments will be served after the service in the Hall.

 

 

 

 

160.7/18

School – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

160.8/18

SALC – new clerks’ salaries from 1st April 2019 have been issued.

 

 

 

 

160.9/18

Quarry – The Quarry Management Team are waiting until 22 April which is the latest date when a planning appeal can be lodged. Assuming none are received a liaison meeting will be scheduled.

 

A new weigh bridge and new reception offices are being constructed at the entrance to the quarry.

 

Five quarrymen helped in the litter pickup. The PC will write and thank them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

161/18

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN – nothing to report. 

 

 

 

 

162/18

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

162.1/18

Beat Surgery attended by DS on 6th April.

 

 

 

 

162.2/18

PACT meeting to be attended on 16th April by DS.

 

 

 

 

163/18

CORRESPONDENCE - None received.

 

 

 

 

164/18

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

164.1/18

The next meetings will be the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council (7.00 p.m.) and the Annual Parish Meeting (8.00 p.m.) on Monday 20th May 2019.