MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 17 June 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

Vicki Taylor

VGT

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Martin Carter

 

 

 

 

 

1

Apologies

ACTIONS

 

 

 

1.1

Anthea Brooks, Clerk; Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

Declarations of Interest & Dispensations and requests for recording

 

 

 

 

2.1

VT Declared an interest in parts of agenda item 6 and item 9.

 

 

 

 

2.2

There were no dispensations or requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

Minutes of meeting held on 15 April 2019

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes were agreed unanimously and signed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

Matter Arising from minutes of 15 April 2019

 

 

 

 

020.3/18

Old Wells Road scheme – pending approval - ongoing.

PH

 

                                 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk had written to the family involved – ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

039.1/18

Cemetery/Churchyard – yew tree cutting – MDC is proposing to cut lower branches rather than reducing their height. DM will liaise with Churchwarden and arrange to meet MDC with AT

 

 

DM

 

 

 

039.2/18

Cemetery - It was agreed that the Clerk will laminate a copy of the Rules and Regulations for the cemetery and CC will arrange to put them up - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086.1/18

Review Of Policies – See list in previous minutes. Updates ongoing, completed ones to be passed to webmaster for website.

Clerk

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications, No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – Chris Cudmore offered to continue this action on behalf of the Council.

 

CC

 

 

 

132.2/18

District Councillors

AT agreed to speak to Planning regarding which applications are referred to the PC (e.g. VRC, APP, PAA, AGB) and whether the norm is to include PC comments when they agreed to ‘Planner to decide’ – ongoing.

 

 

 

AT

 

PH was requested to explain the impact on the maintenance of Closed Churchyards from reduction in Special Expenses - ongoing. 

 

PH

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at April meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

152.3/18

Proposed Housing Development on property of Ivy Cottage

 

 

A meeting was subsequently held with the school to clarify their meeting with the developers; they indicated that they did not need the additional field, car park or pupils arising from this proposal to support their future business plan. The PC was subsequently offered Housing Needs Survey by the Community Council for Somerset (CCS) and have met them. AT offered a copy of a similar Survey conducted for Coleford.

CCS have arranged a meeting for 27 Jun with MDC, the Developer and team with a view to agreeing a questionnaire and a way ahead prior to a public presentation. The Council agreed that a light tea could be provided and VGT agreed to arrange – Ongoing Agenda item for next meeting and DM to report

 

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

VGT

DM

 

 

 

4.1

All Other actions from the 15 Apr meeting are complete.

 

 

 

 

4.2

It was agreed that the Draft Notes from the 20 May APM and APCM plus some from the outgoing PC Chairman should be reviewed to identify any actions needed now.

 

 

 

 

4.2.1

Matters Arising from the APM:

1.  After a proposal from the floor, it was agreed that a village Speed Watch group would be progressed. The interested parties have agreed to proceed and a date and venue for an open meeting are being discussed.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

4.2.2

Matters Arising from the APCM:

1.  Approach Likely Candidates for Co-Option as Councillors: One person is considering co-option and will decide at the next meeting. Another couple are considering if one of them will volunteer. An appeal is included in the ‘Village Connection’ and on the website – ongoing

2.  Clerk to pay insurance. The invoice had not been received for the broker. It is now held; a cheque is to be signed this evening - ongoing

3.  Clerk to submit the Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR) was found to be just above the limit for the reporting form selected. The correct AGAR form to be agreed this evening - ongoing.

4.  Clerk to notify MDC re ‘Open Space’ expenditure to date at S106.Agreements@mendip.gov.uk – ongoing.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

Clerk

 

 

Clerk

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2.3

Matters Identified by CC the Outgoing PC Chairman:

1.   Provide Updated Procedures to webmaster for uploading.

2.   Confirm Councillors ‘Declarations of Interest’ have been submitted.

3.   The outgoing chair offered to update the ‘Welcome’ booklet for PC to approve; the PC accepted the offer.

4.   The PC’s “Easement letter” for residents with their own access to the car park at the recreation field need to be re-issued to confirm not a right of way

5.   Annual Back Up of digital records is due

 

Clerk

Clerk

 

CC

 

Clerk / DM

 

Clerk

 

 

 

5

District and County Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

5.1

Philip Ham was unable to attend or send a report

 

 

 

 

5.2

AT explained that there had been significant reorganisation at MDC After the recent elections. The Lib Dems had formed the majority group with 2 independents and had provided membership of the key Boards. He is now:

·   A substitute member of the Planning and Audit Board

·  A member of the Clients Charge Board

 

 

 

 

5.2.1

The leader of MDC in her opening speech had indicated a wish for more training for Parish Council’s and more attention paid to their input.

 

 

 

 

5.2.2

AT has received comments about the use of Whitehole Lane by HGV’s and the danger to other users. He asked if the PC had a view. After discussion, it was agreed that the PC would encourage an investigation and consider any proposal, such as signage, to reduce HGV access.

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

Planning

 

 

 

 

6.1

2019/1159/HSE and 2019/1160/LBC Convert existing Barn into an open plan kitchen, dining and living area, reposition garage and add WC to ground floor at Manor Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mrs V Trundle

 

 

 

 

6.1.1

VT presented the plan but took no part in the decision making. The Council agreed to approve the applications. Responses to MDC were agreed and forwarded for the Clerk to send

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.2

2019/1245/HSE Two storey side and single storey rear extension at 5 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr & Mrs Brooks

 

 

 

 

6.2.1

The Council agreed to approve the applications. Responses to MDC were agreed and forwarded for the Clerk to send

 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.3

2019/1203/VRC Application to remove condition 7 (existing field access off Holly Bush Lane shall be limited to maintenance and pedestrian traffic use only) of planning approval 2013/0964 (construction of four holiday cabins and associated works) at Hollybush Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr K Tucker

 

 

 

 

6.3.1

The Council noted that the condition was originally imposed because the entrance was considered dangerous and agreed to leave the decision to the planning officer as it is a specialist highway issue. A draft response to MDC was agreed and forwarded for the Clerk to send

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.4

The Clerk had requested the PC to address a further application that had arrived after the agenda had been released:

 

 

 

 

6.5

2019/1185/FUL Demolition of exiting dwelling for erection of newbuild replacement dwelling and associated works at Hollybush Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr K Tucker

 

 

 

 

6.5.1

The Council was not aware of any local heritage interest in the building but recommended that this was checked before a final decision was made. On that basis Council agreed to leave the decision to the planning officer. A draft response to MDC was agreed and forwarded for the Clerk to send.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.6

PF said she understood there was another application submitted at the as 2019/1277/HSE that awaits a response. Clerk to confirm and suggest a way ahead.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

Finance

 

 

 

 

7.1

Financial Statement for audit as at 31.03.19:

 

 

 

 

7.1.1

The redrafted the Annual Governance and Accountability Return (AGAR) Accounting Statement was reviewed and agreed. DM signed it after checking the remainder of the document was as previously reviewed.

 

 

 

 

 

7.1.2

A copy was provided to the Clerk to progress the internal audit and submission of the AGAR.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

7.2

Financial Statement as at 17.06.19:

 

 

 

 

7.2.1

A reconciliation of expenditure with the bank statement was outstanding; no statement was available; Clerk to provide for review by email once reconciliation available.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

7.2.1

The statement for 17.06.19 is to be signed off at the next PC meeting.

 

 

 

 

7.3

Cheques Signed:

 

 

 

 

7.3.1

J Gale - Grass Cuting and Hedging - £760.00

 

7.3.1

Came & Co – Annual insurance premium - £362.56

 

7.3.3

Clerk’s Salary and Expenses for May - £221.20

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8

Cemetery Matters

 

 

 

 

8.1

The active Burial Ground hedge has been cut but the boughs on the far side in Mrs Brewster’s plot need cutting. DS agreed to deploy the Parish Rangers

 

 

DS

 

 

 

8.2

It was agreed the new cemetery was ready for its first mow. The Clerk was asked to instruct J Gale & Co to do it.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

9

Open Space Project

 

 

 

 

9.1

VGT Brief

 

 

 

 

9.1.1

The Leigh on Mendip Allotment Association has formed. The inaugural meeting had 16 attendees. Relevant points include:

· Helen Gulvin - Chair, Rose Martin - Treasurer, Vicki Taylor – Secretary

· Plot Holders will join the National Association

· A GDPR process was agreed

· A detailed quote for fencing to meet the specification has been derived.

· Fund Raising is underway.

 

 

 

 

9.1.2

The Association wish to start to prepare the accessible garden before the land is purchased, at risk. VGT agreed to discuss with VT.

 

 

 

 

9.1.3

The fencing quote was £5,120 for the boundary fence and a stockproof fence around the allotments. After discussion, the PC approved the expenditure recognising this needed a proportion of the allocated contingency.

 

 

 

 

9.1.4

In answer to a query Mr Eastwood has been informed that the orange fencing currently surrounding the allotments will be replaced by permanent fencing as soon as possible after the land is purchased. He was also provided with a copy of the Constitution and Rules.

 

 

 

 

9.2

DM brief

 

 

 

 

9.2.1

After discussion and agreement with the vendors, both sets of solicitors have been instructed to draw up the land purchase contract based on the proposals raised in the PC’s letter of 5 Jun 19. An acceptable contract should be received shortly.

 

 

 

 

9.2.2

After discussion the Council agreed that if the proposed contract covered all the issues of their 5 Jun letter and raised no new ones the contract could be signed, and land purchase concluded. DM will manage the process keeping Councillors informed.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

9.3

General The Council wished to record their congratulations to the hardworking and professional team who had moved the task forward to such an advanced stage and their thanks to the vendors for permitting ground preparation and planting before the land is purchased.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10

Health and Safety

 

 

 

 

10.1

There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

Councillor Reports

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO: The next PACT meeting is planned for 6 Aug in the Memorial Hall at 1900 (tbc).

 

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths: An issue locating the junction of footpaths at Tweed farm was reported too be resolved. An issue with the footpath from Thrice Barn to Tadhill had been reported. DS will investigate.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

11.3

Highways, School and SALC: Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

11.4

Memorial Hall: Roof repair work as due to start shortly. The Council agreed to provide last year’s and this year’s grants together to assist funding the repair.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11.5

Quarry: The next Liaison Committee meeting was overdue. It was expected that this meet would initiate the Community Grant scheme.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12

Points from the Parish Bulletin

 

 

 

 

12.1

The Election summary was 22 Liberal Democrat, 10 Conservative, 10 Green, 3 Independent and 2 Others.

 

 

 

 

 

12.2

The Nolan Principles should be discussed at a future meeting when there are new Councillors.

 

 

 

 

12.3

Recent Guidance from the MDC Monitoring Officer indicated that PC’s should register with ICO, costing £40. Clerk to investigate.

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

13

Meetings Attended / To be Attended

 

 

 

 

13.1

DS attended the Parish Forum. Significant items covered in the Parish Bulletin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

14.1

None known.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14

Date and Time of Next Meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

The next Parish Council Meeting is planned to take place on 15 Jul 19 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall. However, with two Councillors unable to attend the meeting would not be quorate. DM will seek an adjacent date when more can attend.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

PM Note: The next meeting will be Monday 22 Jul 19