MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 SEPTEMBER 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

David Mattick (Chairman)

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor

PH

 

 

Anthea Brooks (Clerk)

AB

 

 

Ivor & Debbie Harris and Lee Wright (item 0038.1/19)

 

 

 

James Hiscox (item 0038.2/19)

 

 

 

Rose Martin (RM)

 

 

 

 

 

0033/19

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0033.1/19

Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT), Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT), Vicki Taylor, Councillor (VGT)

 

 

 

 

0034/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

0034.1/19

MC declared an interest in planning item 0038.3.4/19, there were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no request for recording

 

 

 

 

0035/19

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 JULY 2019

 

 

 

 

0035.1/19

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 July 2019 were agreed unanimously and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

0036/19

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 JULY 2019

 

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk is writing to all families who are responsible for cremation plaques enclosing a copy of the Rules and Regulations.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086.1/18

Review Of Policies – Outstanding is Code of Conduct and Financial Regulations which will be reviewed at the end of 2019.  The Complaints Procedure is with VT - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

132.2/18

District Councillors – AT had agreed to speak to Planning regarding which applications are referred to the PC.  The Parish Forum had discussed Development Management for Town, City and Parish Councils which had been received from MDC by email and distributed by the Clerk - complete

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at the next meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2 APCM

Open Space Expenditure notification to MDC - ongoing

 

 

 

 

4.2.3

Annual Back Up of Digital Records – the Clerk to progress

Clerk

 

 

 

008.1

Cemetery Hedge –There were boughs intruding into Mrs Brewster’s plot that the Rangers cut back - complete

 

 

 

 

008.2

‘New’ Cemetery Area – The area has been cut - complete

 

 

 

 

012.3

ICO – recent guidance from the MDC Monitoring Officer indicates that PC’s should register with the ICO – the Clerk will investigate

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0021.1/19

Extra funding – PH has an amount of £2,000 for 15 parishes under the Health and Wellbeing banner for Improving Lives.  There is also £25,000 available for any young person’s project. Although this would not be available to schools, but the Toddler’s Group would probably qualify.  PH email the link to the Clerk for distribution.

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

0021.1/19

Quarry – the Liaison meeting did not take place in March – the next will possibly be in October.  There was a discussion around the start of the community funds being available.  PH will seek confirmation from the quarry.

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – DM stated that the walls will need repointing at some point as they are not in good condition. PF will have a look.

 

PF

 

 

 

0029.1/19

The impact of Hinckley C was brought up at the last Forum and PH is leading on this.  It was suggested that the Council should submit an article for the Parish Bulletin on the refurbishment of the signposts.  PF will investigate - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0025/19

Housing Needs Survey – all actions complete

 

 

 

 

0037/19

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0037.1/19

County Council

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Highway Improvement Scheme - Old Frome/Wells Road –  PH reported that he had held a well-attended Open Meeting in the Memorial Hall on 8 August and many comments were made and follow up emails received.  Further discussions are ongoing and PH will update the Council when information is available.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Budget – Somerset County Council is currently running a balanced budget 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Quarry Liaison – PH has spoken to the quarry regarding the date of the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Hinckley C – visiting on 16 October.  Pushing to get some money for this area as all villages have suffered from lorries carrying stone to the site.

 

 

 

 

0037.2/19

District Council (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Task and Finish Groups – PH is chair of the Scrutiny Committee and is working to get some Task and Finish Groups to look at Policy and Strategies, Contracts, Access and Deprivation. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Whitehole Hill – the recent closure for resurfacing has resulted in additional lorry traffic through the local villages.  It was agreed to keep Whitehole Lane open to lorry traffic but to monitor it closely and if necessary install some warning signs.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Frome Independent Market – PH attended the AGM

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Yew Trees (Churchyard) – AT had emailed Bo Walsh the Tree Officer at MDC and agreed to set up a meeting between himself and representatives from the Parish Council and the Parochial Church Council - ongoing

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

0037.3/19

District Council (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

A report had been received from AT, the main points were as follows:

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Training – the programme continues with benefits to new members and providing updates to older ones.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Community Health/Safeguarding – a briefing was provided with particular emphasis on safeguarding

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Licensing Board – met on 14 August and was briefed on the role of the Safety Advisory Group, established to oversee safety arrangements for events, for example the Glastonbury Festival

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Cabinet – met on 2 September.  Presentation from local Fire and Rescue about the risks of the proposal for reductions in stations and appliances with Wells and Frome being directly affected.  Discussions took place about the Norton St Philip Neighbourhood Plan, Climate and Ecology.  The decline of Shepton Mallet Sunday Market was reviewed and it was agreed to license its continued operation through a Shepton Community Interest Company similar to Frome.

 

 

 

 

0038/19

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

 

New Applications

 

 

 

 

0038.1/19

2019/1569/FUL Removal of existing garage building and erection of a whole life dwelling with full disabled access on land laying to the north west of Hippys Farm Lane for Mr I Harris

 

 

 

 

0038.1.1/19

 Lee Wright from Wright Consult LLP presented the case for building a whole life dwelling on the site of an existing garage.  He reported that whilst the proposal was outside the development limit there are exceptional circumstances, particularly the lack of suitable accommodation in the locality for disabled people.

 

 

 

 

0038.1.2/19

The Council discussed the application in some detail.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by MC and agreed unanimously to recommend approval because of the exceptional local need in this case. 

 

 

Comments agreed for the Council’s response included:

·         Character: recognises the Village Design Statement.

·         Amenity: no significant harm to the amenities of occupiers or adjacent occupiers

If the Planning Officer recommends refusal the Parish Council requests that the application goes to the Planning Board.

 

 

 

 

0038.1.3/19

Lee Wright and Mr and Mrs Harris left the meeting at this point

 

 

 

 

0038.2/19

2019/1972/FUL Remove existing building and replace with new dwelling.  Plot East of Ben My Chree, Blackers Lane for Mr J Hiscox

 

 

 

 

0038.2.1/19

Mr Hiscox gave an overview of the history of the proposed development which currently has permission for the conversion of the current building.  It was noted that this building is of no particular architectural or historical value and the proposed development would have the same footprint and same height as the current building. 

 

 

 

 

0038.2.2/19

The Council discussed the application and it was agreed unanimously to leave the decision to the Planning Officer with the following comments.

 

 

 

 

0038.2.3/19

It is recognised that the application is essentially for a new dwelling on the site and as such is contrary to policy however the Parish Council also recognised that some weight could be given to the scheme which has been accepted as permitted development and in this context will accept the planning officer’s decision.  In design terms the proposal is modest, maintains the character and appearance of the surrounding area and the increased sustainability of the solution was noted.

 

 

 

 

0038.2.4/19

Mr Hiscox left the meeting at this point.

 

 

 

 

0038.3/19

Status of Current Applications and other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

0038.3.1/19

2019/1992/FUL Proposed split of existing property into two dwellings at Mendip View, Old Wells Road - pending

 

 

 

 

0038.3.2/19

2019/1277/HSE Single storey extension and associated alterations at Hollybush Barn – approved 18 July

 

 

 

 

0038.3.3/19

2019/1185/FUL Demolition/newbuild dwelling at Hollybush Cottage – approved 23 August

 

 

 

 

0038.3.4/19

2018/2779/HSE Pillars at 1 Apple Meadow – there were errors in the Inspectors Report which have been pointed out.  The piers must be moved to a new location. 

 

 

 

 

0038.3.5/19

On a related matter, it was noted that the verge in front of Apple Meadow View is owned by MDC who are offering to sell it to householders who are attempting to clarify the terms and conditions.

 

 

 

 

0038.3.6/19

2018/2778/HSE Juliet Balcony at 1 Apple Meadow – appeal allowed decision at 19 August; a new bar has to be installed

 

 

 

 

0039/19

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

0039.1/19

Financial Statement as at 16.09.19

 

 

 

 

0039.1.1/19

The financial statement as at 16.09.19 was approved and signed

 

 

 

 

0039.2/19

Noticeboard outside Park Hayes – The back of the noticeboard is shredding and Mr Frank Higgins has offered to fix it.  A maximum sum of £150 was agreed for this work.

 

 

 

 

0039.3/19

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  SALC Affiliation Fee £144.54

 

 

·                  Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall hire on 6 and 9 August £21.00

 

 

·                  Mendip District Council election services £94.00

 

 

·                  PCC of Postlebury – photocopy Speedwatch leaflet £25.00

 

 

·                  HMRC – PAYE April – July £211.20

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for August £221.20

 

 

 

 

0039/19

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0039.1/19

Yew Trees – as previously discussed under item 0037.2/19

 

 

 

 

0039.2/19

Grass Cutting – The Clerk is obtaining quotations for grass cutting for 2020.  DS will organise a further cut by the Village Rangers.  It was agreed to contribute £10 towards petrol for the mowers. 

 

 

 

 

0039.3/19

New Cemetery area – it was noted that the grass is to be cut but the back wall hedge remains a concern.  

 

 

 

 

0039/19

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

0039.1/19

It was noted that the purchase of the land is still with the Solicitors.

 

 

 

 

0040/19

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

0040.1/19

There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

0041/19

Councillor Reports

 

 

 

 

0041.1/19

PCSO – A PACT meeting was held in the Memorial Hall on 6 August.  The August Beat Surgery was held in The Tower Room but there were no visitors. 

 

 

 

 

0041.2/19

Footpaths – DS reported on issues.  The footpath by the fishing lake is blocked and this has been reported.  A request from Somerset Rights of Way for a contact to reach Mr Rick Massey has been sent. The SCC Rights of Way Co-ordinator Jake Taylor is leaving.

 

 

 

 

0041.3/19

Rangers – DS reported that:  all the grit bins have been prepared for winter reserves of grit are 6 bags. It was noted that the village is now back on the winter road gritting schedule. 

 

 

 

 

0041.4/19

Highways – DS had reported the potholes on the bend by Green Shutters.  It was noted that the Whitehole Hill diversion signs were still out on the roadsides, PH stated that they would be collected shortly.

 

 

 

 

0041.5/19

Recreation Field – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0041.6/19

Memorial Hall – unfortunately the noticeboard had fallen down

 

 

 

 

0041.7/19

School – to become a Primary School from September 2020.

 

 

 

 

0041.8/19

SALC – see under Correspondence

 

 

 

 

0041.9/19

Quarry – progress is being made on the new tarmac plant.  The new reception and office building is complete and fitted out.  The work on Rookery Farmhouse is complete.

 

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch – a meeting held on 9 August concluded there was insufficient support to form a group.  PCSO Mike Storey subsequent offer of a one-off radar check in the village was agreed; DS will request two sessions one at morning school time and the other between 5.00 p.m. and 6.00 p.m. in the afternoon. PH suggestion that Parish Councils could form a mobile team was accepted; PH/AT agreed to facilitate that. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PH/AT

 

 

 

0041.11/19

Housing Needs Survey meeting – 10% of people had responded by the night of the meeting and it had been agreed to post further reminders about the deadline of 23 September. It was noted that a document entitled Delivery of Rural Affordable Housing Guide for Parish Councils is available.  It was agreed that this should be circulated.

 

 

 

 

0041.12/19

Facebook Administration – Vicki Batten looks after the Village Facebook page and has asked for some help with the administration side of it.  Chris Cudmore, Simon Wolf and DM have all volunteered.

 

 

 

 

0042/19

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

0042.1/19

The following was noted

 

 

·           Timescales for setting the precepts for 2020/21

 

 

·           Somerset NHS Health Checks are free and available again. It was agreed that the Clerk would investigate the possibility of holding another event.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0043/19

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

0043.1/19

Trees for Somerset – Rose Martin reported on the meeting on 2 August at Walton which was well attended.    ‘Reimagining the Levels’ is encouraging more tree planting in the whole of Somerset to increase bio-diversity, resilience to climate change and well-being.   It is hoped that Town and Parish Councils will support the project and adopt a Tree Policy.  A draft policy which had already been adopted by two Councils in Somerset was distributed.  Part of the policy is the appointment of a Tree Warden and a job description for this post is available on the Reimagining the Levels website.  A new tree planting fund for Somerset has been established and is now live.  Once funds are raised money can be applied for by groups with relevant objectives or accessed in partnership with reimagining the Levels.  Details of how to apply will be available on the website.

 

 

 

 

0043.2/19

The Council thought the Tree Policy would be a good way of working with local landowners, for example the quarry, and planting new trees was important particularly bearing in mind the amount of ash die back happening locally.  RM suggested that contact should be made with Gill Odolphie who runs the Earth Science Centre in Stoke St Michael for her views.

 

 

 

 

0042.3/19

Rose was thanked for attending the meeting.

 

 

 

 

0043.2/19

Parish Forum – 12 September at MDC – DS attended. Ros Wyke the Leader of the Council opened the meeting.   Various issues were discussed including the need for living space in Glastonbury and homelessness in the area.  Climate change is also a big issue for the Council with various proposals being considered.  The Inspector has come back with criticisms over the local green space in the Part II Plan.  MDC will be consulting with Parish Councils.  This plan has to be in place and agreed before Christmas. 

 

 

 

 

0044/19

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

0044.1/19

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re NALC Template Code of Conduct (updated May 2018) now downloadable from the SALC website.

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re Training Event – VAT for Local Councils on 20 November at Edgar Hall, Somerset 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m.

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re Councillor Essentials Training on 19 September from 7.00 -t 9.00 p.m. at the Market House, Castle Cary

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re Parish Online Training Event – 26 September at Somerton from 10.00 a.m. to 16.00 p.m. – DM attending

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re Policy Consultation E-Briefing 10-19 5G Mobile Coverage in Rural Areas – Clerk to send to DM

 

 

·                    Email from SALC re SALC AGM Saturday 26 October at Somerton from 10.00a.m.

 

 

·                    Campaign to Protect Rural England – What Future for our Brownfield Sites on Friday 18 October in Chard from 1.00 p.m.  AT is attending

 

 

·                    Email re Bristol and Bath Science Park

 

 

 

 

0045/19

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

0045.1/19

Monday 21 October 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall