MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 OCTOBER 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

David Mattick (Chairman)

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland (to item 0056/19)

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (to item 0056/19)

PH

 

 

Anthea Brooks (Clerk)

AB

 

 

 

 

0046/19

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0046.1/19

Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT) and Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT)

 

 

 

 

0047/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

0047.1/19

MC declared an interest in planning items 0051.1/19 and 0051.3/19, there were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no request for recording

 

 

 

 

0048/19

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 SEPTEMBER 2019

 

 

 

 

0048.1/19

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 September 2019 were agreed with one addition.  Under item 0034.1/19 (Declarations of Interest) MC also declared an interest in item 38.3.6/19.  The minutes were then signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

0049/19

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 SEPTEMBER 2019

 

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  The Clerk is writing to all families who are responsible for cremation plaques enclosing a copy of the Rules and Regulations - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

086.1/18

Review Of Policies – this is now in hand and also discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at the next meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2 APCM

Open Space Expenditure notification to MDC - ongoing

DM

 

 

 

4.2.3

Annual Back Up of Digital Records – the Clerk to progress

Clerk

 

 

 

012.3

ICO – recent guidance from the MDC Monitoring Officer indicates that PC’s should register with the ICO.  The Clerk reported that following a response from SALC she would register the Council and pay the fee which would be reimbursed at the next meeting.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0021.1/19

Extra funding –discussed elsewhere on the agenda (item 0050.1/19)

 

 

 

 

0021.1/19

Quarry Liaison meeting – discussed elsewhere on the agenda (0050.1/19)

 

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – PF reported that there is repointing which needs to be done.  A specification needs to be written with particular reference to the mortar to be used so that quotes can be obtained.  PF will put this in hand and also identify three potential contractors from whom indicative prices can be obtained.

 

 

 

 

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch – further to the meeting held on 9 August PH suggested a combined village Speedwatch Group.  It was agreed that the Clerk would contact the Chairmen/Clerks of Doulting, Cranmore, Holcombe, Coleford, Nunney and Stoke St Michael Parish Councils with a view to setting up a joint meeting to discuss this proposal further.  Leigh-on-Mendip Parish Council would be happy to host the meeting and provide the facilities.  In the first instance it was suggested that one representative from each Council would be sufficient.  It was agreed to invite the Neighbourhood Team Inspector, Mark Nicholson, and the Neighbourhood Police Team Sergeant, Rachel Clark, to attend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0042.1/19

NHS Health Checks – The Clerk has been in contact and is looking at possible dates - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0050/19

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0050.1/19

County Council

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Highway Improvement Scheme - Old Frome/Wells Road – PH reported that this scheme has now gone to the next stage of implementation.  With reference to Beacon Cross, PH and Mike Pullin (County Councillor) have met and are pursuing possible improvements.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Budget – Somerset County Council is currently running a balanced budget and it is unlikely that there will be cuts this year or next year.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Quarry Liaison – it is hoped that a Quarry Liaison meeting will take place before Christmas.  It is understood that the main item for discussion will be the Community Fund. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Hinckley C – PH visited on 16 October.  .

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Grit Bins – will be refilled as required free of charge, however there will be no salt collections this year and local Councils are requested to purchase salt if it is required.  Half tonne bags are available from SCC and can be left in appropriate places if requested.

 

 

·                     Extra funding (1) – PH has an amount of £2,000 for the parishes he covers under the Health and Wellbeing banner for Improving Lives.  Only four parishes can benefit to the tune of £500 each.  PH gave the information to VGT.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Extra funding (2) – Improving Lives by Preventing Demand – there is a total amount of £50,000 available and so far there are no applicants.  PH gave the information to VGT.

 

 

 

 

0050.2/19

District Council (PH/AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Coleford – a formal application for 63 dwellings on Anchor Road in Coleford has been received which is outside the development limit.  A planning meeting will take place on Thursday in Coleford. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Climate Change - there was a meeting last week with further meetings on Climate Change Adaptation and deprivation scheduled.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Task and Finish Groups – PH as chair of the Scrutiny Committee has set up Task and Finish Groups to look at Policy and Strategies, Contracts, Access and Deprivation. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Whitehole Hill – the consensus of neighbouring parishes is that any restriction on HGV’s would have much worse consequences elsewhere so this will not be pursued.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Local Plan Part II – five modifications with very little effect on our local area.  Another 505 dwellings are proposed on the boundary of Bath & North East Somerset.  Some more traveller and gypsy sites need to be identified.  There is a problem around local green spaces, the wording is not very clear and virtually every Parish Council answered the question differently.  This exercise will need to be rerun and will need to go out to consultation again.  The final report is expected in April (three years late).  The Local Plan Part I is expected to start again in January so this will commence before the conclusion of Part II. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Yew Trees (Churchyard) – PH reported that both himself and AT have pursued Bo Walsh who has indicated that he is happy to have a meeting.  Suitable dates need to be established.

 

 

PH/AT

 

 

 

0051/19

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

 

New Applications

 

 

 

 

0051.1/19

2019/1910/FUL Replacement of 7ft hedgerow on two sides of property with a block and rendered wall (retrospective) at 11 Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr  P. Lewis.

 

 

 

 

0051.1.1/19

 This application was discussed.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by VGT and agreed unanimously to recommend the refusal of the application for reasons given below and which follow the suggested new template layout for response to Planning Applications.

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Design and appearance, impact on public visual amenity – the character of the boundaries around Park Hayes are important to this part of the village.  It is largely one of mature hedges of a variety of species.  The wall therefore appears both out of character and austere in its material, finish and height.  It also fails to follow the guidelines in the Village Design Statement, i.e.  existing hedgerows and trees should be retained and new development should include indigenous mature planting and landscaping

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Loss of ecological habitats – mature hedges have been removed and replaced with the wall

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Access, highways safety or traffic generation/inadequate parking and servicing – there is concern about visibility for highway users and those parking on the site when exiting.

 

 

 

 

0051.2/19

Status of Current Applications and other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

0051.2.1/19

2019/1992/FUL Proposed split of existing property into two dwellings at Mendip View, Old Wells Road - approved

 

 

 

 

0051.2.2/19

2019/1972/FUL Remove existing building and replace with new dwelling on plot of land east of Ben My Chree, Blackers Lane – approved with conditions

 

 

 

 

0051.2.3/19

2019/1203/VRC Application to remove condition 7 (existing field access off Holly Bush Lane shall be limited to maintenance and pedestrian traffic only) of planning approval 2013/0964 (construction of four holiday cabins and associated works) at Hollybush Cottage, Knap Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip – application withdrawn

 

 

 

 

0051.2.4/19

2019/1569/FUL Removal of existing garage building and erection of a whole life dwelling incorporating full disabled access on land lying NW of Hippys Farm Lane - pending

 

 

 

 

0051.3/19

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View - Councillors were given a short brief on issues with the strip of land at Apple Meadow View by the Chairman who has been invited to attend a meeting with seniors at MDC in November. The chair will provide a further brief after that.

 

 

 

 

0051.4/19

Parish Council Consultation Template – MDC have reviewed the Parish Council planning notification letter and provided a consultation template for comments which will be rolled out for use soon.  The Parish Council welcomed the template in assisting with response and will be pleased to use it.  However, it was noted that on occasion the Council may want to suggest that with particular amendments a proposal would be supported. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0052/19

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

0052.1/19

Financial Statement as at 21.10.19

 

 

 

 

0052.1.1/19

The financial statement as at  21.10.19 was approved and signed

 

 

 

 

0052.2/19

Audit 2018/19 – The Clerk reported that the external audit had been finalised with no issues.  An invoice had been received for £336.00.

 

 

 

 

0052.3/19

Budget 2020/21 – The Chairman distributed draft information in preparation for the budget for 2020/21.  The timetable is for the figures to be discussed at the next meeting on 18 November with a view to finalising the budget at the meeting in December.

 

 

 

 

0052.4/19

Mells Park Solar Farm – The Clerk was asked to raise an invoice to Mells Park Solar Farm for the annual grant of £2,000.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0052.5/19

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  SALC Training Parish Online £15.00

 

 

·                  C Bone – Grass Cutting and tidying New Cemetery area £40.00

 

 

·                  PKF Littlejohn – Audit Fee £336.00

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for September £221.20

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for May £221.20 (replacement cheque – previous cheque voided)

 

 

 

 

0053/19

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0053.1/19

Yew Trees – as previously discussed under item 0050.2/19

 

 

 

 

0053.2/19

Grass Cutting – The Clerk is obtaining quotations from further potential contractors. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0054/19

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

0054.1/19

A report on work to date on the allotments had been received from the Allotment Association.  DM reported that he had received an email from the solicitor and it is anticipated that the land purchase could complete this week.

 

 

 

 

0055/19

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

0055.1/19

There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

0056/19

REVIEW OF PROCEDURES

 

 

 

 

0056.1/19

The following policies are due to review and were allocated to Councillors as follows

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Code of Conduct – MC and VGT

 

 

·                    Complaints Procedure - DM

 

 

·                    Data Protection - AB

 

 

·                    Financial Regulations - AB

 

 

·                    Standing Orders - DS

 

 

 

 

0057/19

WELCOME BOOKLET

 

 

 

 

0057.1/19

The amended booklet had been distributed for comment by Chris Cudmore (CC).  DM proposed that the Parish Council approve what has been done and this was agreed unanimously.    It was also agreed to fund the purchase of 50 booklets for distribution.  DM will speak to CC to let him know the decision of the Council.

 

 

 

 

DM

0058/19

Councillor Reports

 

 

 

 

0058.1/19

PCSO – Beat Surgery took place on 19 October but no one attended apart from DS and one other villager – there will not be a Beat Surgery in November the next will be on 4 December.   It was felt that advertising may not be adequate for some people in the village who do not have access to Facebook.  It was felt that a laminated poster should be placed on the A Board on the church steps to advertise the surgery.

 

 

 

 

0058.2/19

PCSO Mike Storey had also reported the following:

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Rural Crime Action meeting (national event) had taken place during the previous week

 

 

·                    Leigh-on-Mendip Recreation Field is included on the patrol plan

 

 

·                    Villagers are urged to report suspicious activity on 101

 

 

 

 

0058.3/19

Neighbourhood Watch – DS will speak to the PCSO about the local neighbourhood watch scheme, who the co-ordinators are and where there may be areas which are not covered.

 

 

 

 

0058.4/19

Speedcheck – As discussed at the last meeting PCSO Mike Storey has offered to carry out a one-off radar check in the village which was agreed.

 

 

 

 

0058.5/19

Footpaths – DS reported that SCC want to appoint volunteer wardens for footpaths, however this has been happening for some time in the village. 

 

 

 

 

0058.6/19

Rangers – DS reported that the churchyard grass had been cut and thanks were extended to the Rangers for undertaking this task.  The grit bins are being surveyed. DS reported that there are now eight Rangers who undertake regular activity and he would like to purchase high-viz jackets with ‘Leigh-on-Mendip Rangers’ on the back at a cost of £8 each.  It was agreed unanimously that DS should go ahead and purchase 10 with the cost not to exceed £100. 

 

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerposts – Chris Ingrem would like to paint the fingerpost on the T junction with the Old Wells Road but it is leaning slightly and needs to be straightened.  DS will investigate.

 

 

DS

0058.8/19

Highways – MC asked about repairs to drains.  It was pointed out that FixMyStreet is the best way of reporting any problems.  SCC have emailed with information about the highway winter service for 2019 see 0050.1/19. It was agreed to contact Vicky Higgins and Sue Vaughan and see if they would be prepared to have a dumpy bag of gritoutside the Recreation Field and/or Village Hall; Councillors felt  the Recreation Field may be the most appropriate place.  It was noted that SCC have also sent out information about Snow Wardens and anyone wanting to volunteer should forward their name to the Clerk.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.9/19

Recreation Field – VGT is receiving the minutes although VT remains a member of the committee. 

 

 

 

 

0058.10/19

Memorial Hall – the leak in the roof has returned and is being investigated.

 

 

 

 

0058.11/19

School – MC reported that he is now a Governor, was asked if he would take over as responsible Councillor and agreed to do so.

 

 

 

 

0058.12/19

SALC – see under Correspondence

 

 

 

 

0058.13/19

Quarry – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0058.14/19

Housing Needs Survey meeting – the report has not yet been issued but will be sent to DM before it goes for regular distribution.  It was noted that responses were received from 100 residents, 93 from the village and 7 from outside who had long term connections with the parish. 

 

 

 

 

0059/19

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

0059.1/19

The next Parish Forum date is 12 December.  It was suggested that the dates of Parish Forums should be included on the village website.  DM will speak to CC to see what his views are.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

0060/19

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

0060.1/19

SALC AGM Saturday 26 October 2019

 

 

 

 

0060.2/19

Parish Online Event – DM attended this and gave a briefing.  It was agreed that it would be worthwhile, but it would mean getting it populated and useable.  This is not exclusive to Councillors – anyone who was interested could populate it and there may be individuals who could be approached to help.

 

 

 

 

0060.3/19

Allotment Management – Wednesday 13 November – VGT attending

 

 

 

 

0061/19

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

0061.1/19

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Email from a resident of Holcombe regarding flytipping at Whitehole Hill.  This was discussed and it was agreed to respond to the email that although MDC will clear verges and public areas they will not clear rubbish from fields.  The reply will also point out the website FixMyStreet as being very useful for reporting events of this nature.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                    Email from Julian Back, St Giles’ Church Tower Captain inviting Councillors to the rededication service of the church bells on 29 October at 6.00 p.m. at Matthew Higby’s workshop at Charmborough Farm, Holcombe.

 

 

·                    Email from MDC attaching the materials for the Zero Carbon Britain training event which was recently held at MDC

 

 

·                    Email from Power to the People who campaign for more local, clean energy which would benefit local communities. 

 

 

·                    News bulletin from SLCC

 

 

·                    Email from SCC regarding vacancies on the Joint Independent Remuneration Panel

 

 

·                    Email from SALC regarding training events

 

 

 

 

0062/19

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

0062.1/19

Monday 18 November 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall