MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 NOVEMBER 2019 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Paula Freeland (Vice Chairman)

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, County and District Councillor (to item 0068.3/19)

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor (to item 0068.3/19)

AT

 

 

Helen Gulvin (HG), Tim Spurgeon (TS), Vicky Higgins, Chair, Recreation Field Management Committee (VH) for item 0071/19 only

 

 

 

Anthea Brooks (Clerk)

AB

 

 

 

 

0063/19

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0063.1/19

Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT) and David Mattick, Councillor and Chairman (DM).  In the absence of the Chairman, the Vice-Chairman (PF) took the chair.

 

 

 

 

0064/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

0064.1/19

MC declared an interest in item 0068.3/19. PF declared an interest in item 0069.3/19.   There were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no request for recording

 

 

 

 

0065/19

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 OCTOBER 2019

 

 

 

 

0065.1/19

The minutes of the meeting held on 21 October 2019 were agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

0066/19

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 OCTOBER 2019

 

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging and white pebbles had been applied around two cremation plaques.  It was agreed that the Clerk would contact the families involved again in the New Year – ongoing.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at the next meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2 APCM

Open Space Expenditure notification to MDC - ongoing

DM

 

 

 

4.2.3

Annual Back Up of Digital Records – the Clerk to progress

Clerk

 

 

 

012.3

ICO – the Clerk had registered the Council at a cost of £40.00 – complete.

 

 

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – PF reported that there is repointing which needs to be done.  A specification needs to be written so that quotes can be obtained.  PF will put this in hand and identify three potential contractors to seek indicative prices.

 

 

 

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch – further to the meeting held on 9 August PH suggested a combined village Speedwatch Group.  It was agreed that the Clerk would contact local PC Chairmen with a view to setting up a joint meeting to discuss this proposal further at a meeting hosted by Leigh-on-Mendip Parish Council.  It was agreed to invite representation from the Neighbourhood Police Team.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0042.1/19

NHS Health Checks – The Clerk has been in contact and is looking at possible dates - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0050/19

Extra funding (1) – PH has an amount of £2,000 for the parishes he covers under the Health and Wellbeing banner for Improving Lives.    VGT reported that a bid for £500 has been submitted towards the cost of installing water to the allotment site.

 

 

 

 

0050/19

Extra funding (2) – Improving Lives by Preventing Demand – there is a total amount of £50,000 available.  The Allotment Association has bid for funding of £500 for the water supply and work on accessible allotments.

 

 

 

 

0052.4/19

Mells Park Solar Farm – The Clerk has raised an invoice to Mells Park Solar Farm for the annual grant of £2,000 - complete

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0053.2/19

Grass Cutting – The Clerk is obtaining quotations from further potential contractors. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0057.1/19

Welcome Booklet - The amended booklet has now been printed and is also on the village website.  It was agreed that the copies be brought to the next meeting and a decision made on who should keep them.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerposts – the fingerpost on the T junction with the Old Wells Road is leaning slightly.  DS had investigated and will arrange for it to be straightened in due course and Chris Ingrem will then paint it - ongoing

 

 

DS

 

 

 

 

0058.8/19

Highways – Winter Service – the Clerk will contact Vicky Higgins and Sue Vaughan to see if they would be prepared to have a dumpy bag of grit at the Recreation Field and Memorial Hall.  The Clerk will go ahead and order a dumpy bag for each place.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

0059.1/19

Parish Forum – it was suggested that the dates of Parish Forums should be included on the village website.  DM has spoken to CC about this - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

0061.1/19

Whitehole Hill – flytipping – a report had been received about flytipping on the verge at Whitehole Hill - complete

 

 

 

 

092.1/18

NALC – the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications, No 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 – The Accessibility Statement and the Data Protection and Privacy Statement for the Leigh-on-Mendip website were approved at the previous meeting and have been published on the website - complete

 

 

 

 

0067/19

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0067.1/19

District Council (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·                     4 November Cabinet Meeting – Subjects discussed included the traveller sites around Glastonbury; a proposed Pilton Bypass and the Neighbourhood Plan for Norton St Philip.   

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Climate/Ecology Emergency Action Plan – A strategy to identify ways for Somerset to work towards being carbon neutral by 2030 and adapt to predicted climate change impacts.  Drop in consultations will be scheduled in the New Year.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Bristol Clean Air Strategy – a Councillor living south of Bristol raised concerns about haulage contractors trying to access the M4.  MDC will be involved in the final consultation.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Planning Board – will review an outline application for 100 dwellings on the Burcott Road in Wells. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Coleford – from 25 November for ten days road closure on Highbury Street from the Co-operative Store down to the junction with the Recreation Green.  Pavement work is being carried out between 8.30 a.m. and 4.00 p.m.  Buses will be escorted through and there will be a pedestrian walkway.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Stoke St Michael – Vehicle got stuck in the cemetery when attempting to turn round.  Mill Lane should be permanently closed to prevent further incidents.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     S106 Money from Grove Shute – allocated to Leigh-on-Mendip for use within three years of the development for affordable housing.  Although work has been done to identify a need no progress has been made.

 

 

 

 

0067.2/19

District Council (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Clean Air – causing problems in villages such as Buckland Dinham where daily vehicle movements have increased to a 1000 a day.

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Quarry Liaison Meeting – this meeting will take place on Wednesday 27 November at 1.00 p.m. DS and DM will attend.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Tweed Farm Planning Application 2019/1569/FUL will be discussed at the Planning Board. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Yew Trees (Churchyard) – AT has had a further discussion with Bo Walsh to try and get a meeting set up.  MDC need to decide who they want to attend from their side. DM and Alastair Weston (Churchwarden) to attend from Leigh-on-Mendip.  Possible dates 2/3 December, 9/10 December, 16/17 December and the Clerk will ask DM/AW when they are available.  PH or AT to be present.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0068/19

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

0068.2/19

Status of Current Applications and other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

0068.2.1/19

2019/1910/FUL Replacement of 7ft hedgerow on two sides of property with a block and rendered wall (retrospective) at 11 Park Hayes, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr P. Lewis – withdrawn although this was a retrospective application. It was anticipated that the Enforcement Officer would be involved.

 

 

 

 

0068.2.2/19

2019/1569/FUL Removal of existing garage building and erection of a whole life dwelling incorporating full disabled access on land lying NW of Hippys Farm Lane – will be discussed at Planning Board

 

 

 

 

0068.3/19

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View.

 

 

 

 

0068.3.1/19

 MC left the room during the discussion of this item.  PH gave a short update on the issues with the strip of land at Apple Meadow View summarising the meeting with MDC seniors.  MDC thanked attendees for the information provided, agreed to investigate the issues and potential resolutions.  The Chair will provide a further brief at the next meeting.  PH reported that a date for information gathering has been set for 16 December. 

 

 

 

 

0068.3.2/19

PH and AT left the meeting at this point

 

 

 

 

0069/19

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

0069.1/19

Financial Statement as at 18.11.19

 

 

 

 

0069.1.1/19

The financial statement as at  18.11.19 was approved and signed

 

 

 

 

0069.2/19

Budget 2020/21

 

 

 

 

0069.2.1/19

The draft budget was discussed and the following points made

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Recreation Field – request a further £5,000.  To be discussed at the next meeting (Grass cutting £800).

Agenda 16.12.19

 

·                     Definition of S137 – the Clerk will confirm at the next meeting

Clerk

 

·                     SLCC Subscription – no longer shared with Witham Friary

 

 

·                     Cemetery Extension (Bellfield) Landscape and sowing already done.  Cutting grass only suggest £300

 

 

·                     Precept – clarify the wording ‘additional £100 is 1.24% increase’.  Suggest increase precept by similar amount for 2020/21as in 2019/20 in order to complete projects – consider what this would mean as a figure in the budget.

 

 

·                     Quarry Community Fund – remove wording.  It is up to individual organisations to apply for funding.

 

 

 

 

0069.2.2/19

Further discussions to be held at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

0069.3/19

PCC Proposal reference Grant – a request had been received from the PCC Treasurer regarding the grant of £1,250 made to the PCC for completion of the West Doors project.  The architect has waived his fees and the PCC have requested that the Parish Council approve the use of the £1,000 now available from the grant for other outstanding work in the Tower Room.  It was proposed by DS, seconded by MC and agreed unanimously to approve this request.  (PF abstained from the vote)

 

 

 

 

0069.4/19

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  C Cudmore, reimbursement for printing of Welcome Booklets - £32.45

 

 

·                  NoticeMe Logos – Hi Viz jackets for Rangers - ££59.88

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for October £221.20

 

 

·                  Towler Brown – Final fees for land purchase – Open Space Project - £1,089.80

 

 

 

 

0070/19

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0070.1/19

Grass Cutting – new contractor being sought

Clerk

 

 

 

0070.2/19

The Drang – Chris Cudmore has received procedural advice from the Land Registry – he will review this and make recommendations to the Parish Council. 

 

 

 

 

0071/19

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

0071.1/19

VGT gave a briefing on recent Allotment Training which she attended, the main points of which are as follows

 

 

 

 

 

·                    The Parish Council own the allotment land and therefore it is regarded as a statutory site and should be minuted as such – this is therefore minuted accordingly

 

 

·                    Allotment information should be on the Village website to include contact names.  Same information to be included in the Village magazine.

 

 

·                    The lease should state ‘people from the Parish’.  This was agreed at a Parish Council meeting that the allotments are for people from the village.

 

 

·                    The lease should state that the Allotment Association will adhere to the National Allotment Society Regulations/advice and allotment legislation

 

 

·                    Leigh-on-Mendip Allotment Association should be an incorporated body in the lease

 

 

·                    The Parish Council have the responsibility to monitor the Allotment Association – there is a representative from the Parish Council on the Allotment Association

 

 

 

 

0071.2/19

For the Allotment Association there were various other points of information which had been supplied to them

 

 

 

 

0071.3/19

Budget

 

 

 

 

0071.3.1/19

The budget agreed was £18,572.28 (£15,572.28 from the S106 and £3,000 from the Parish Council).  After purchasing the land, spraying the field, providing safety fencing and paying the interim invoice from the Solicitor a sum of £7,369.90 is left. 

 

 

 

 

0071.3.2/19

Estimates agreed in principle include fencing, a second accessible allotment and an accessible pathway leaving a total in the budget of £730.54 to pay the final Solicitor’s bill.  A bid has been made to the Improving Lives Grant Scheme/Together for Good (Wessex Water) but may not be successful or sufficient.

 

 

 

 

0071.3.3/19

The fencing contractor agreed is Clarendon and Helen Gulvin has gone back to the company to see if the price quoted in the summer is held.  This will cover the basic fencing but if more is required then further funds will need to be sought.  The fencing contractor has also agreed to do the ditching for the water pipe and will provide a quote. 

 

 

 

 

0071.3.4/19

The allotment aspiration is to have a community hut on site and grant funding will be sought but may need match funding, i.e. £1,000 on next year’s budget.  Planning permission may also need to be sought for this.

 

 

 

 

0071.4/19

Recreation Field

 

 

 

 

0071.4.1/19

Vicky Higgins (VH) as Chairman of the Recreation Field Management Committee (RFMC) reported that the RFMC are in the process of considering what to do with the rest of the land.  To this end a letter has been drafted to be sent to all villagers The letter will ask for suggestions on what to do with the land.  A consultation meeting will then be convened to consider all options raised.

 

 

 

 

0071.4.2/19

It was agreed that the draft letter would be sent to the Clerk for review by Parish Councillors.  Any comments or amendments to be sent to VH via the Clerk who will also arrange for the printing of the letter to be done at the Rectory. 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0071.4.3/19

DM had received an email from the RFMC Secretary regarding funding for future use of the land. Parish Council financial support is important when seeking grants and a request was made to substantially add to the amount already set aside for the RFMC when considering the 2020/21budget. The PC agreed to review the forthcoming budget.

 

 

 

 

0071.4.4/19

Rights of Way –  Now that the Parish Council own the Open Space land and with its impending lease to the RFMC a request was made to extend ‘Easement Letter’ routine delivery to the houses which back onto the new land that have gates and this was agreed.

 

 

 

 

0071.4.5/19

Helen Gulvin, Tim Spurgeon and Vicky Higgins left the meeting after this item

 

 

 

 

072/19

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

0072.1/19

There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

0073/19

REVIEW OF PROCEDURES

 

 

 

 

0073.1/19

The following policies are due to review and were allocated to Councillors as follows

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Code of Conduct – complete and on website but date needs to be amended to 2019

 

 

·                    Complaints Procedure - DM

 

 

·                    Data Protection - AB

 

 

·                    Financial Regulations - AB

 

 

·                    Standing Orders – DS – some small amendments to do which the Clerk will carry out.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0074/19

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0074.1/19

PCSO – DS reported that he attended the recent Beat Surgery and also the PACT meeting on 30 October.   

 

 

 

 

0074.2/19

Neighbourhood Watch – PCSO Mike Storey confirmed that Leigh Street have two schemes, Park Hayes and Tad Hill have one.  Names are confidential so it is difficult to find out where the schemes are and how to join.  DS will speak to Mike Storey about this at the next Beat Surgery and see if there is a way forward.

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

0074.3/19

Pavement Parking from The Bell upwards – it was noted that the Parish Council should report this to the PCSO as it is illegal and is blocking the pathway.  DS will raise this subject with Mike Storey at the Beat Surgery.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

0074.4/19

Footpaths – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0074.5/19

Rangers – DS reported that clearance has started on the pavement to Barnclose.  A new Ranger has been appointed.

 

 

 

 

0074.6/19

Highways – pavements in Park Hayes are to be resurfaced and residents have been asked to trim back their hedging.  Blocked drains around Park Hayes have been reported on FixMyStreet

 

 

 

 

0074.7/19

Recreation Field – nothing further to report 

 

 

 

 

0074.8/19

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0074.9/19

School – MC will be visiting on 19 November.

 

 

 

 

0074.10/19

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0074.11/19

Quarry – Quarry Liaison meeting on the 27 November.  DS and DM will attend.  The Parish Council need to nominate two Trustees for the Community Fund project – to be agreed at the next meeting

Agenda

16.12.19

 

 

 

0074.12/19

Housing Needs Survey meeting – a draft report has been circulated but is awaiting input from MDC – PH will chase.

 

PH

 

 

 

0075/19

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

0075.1/19

The Parish Forum due to be held on 12 December 2019 will now take place to 23 January 2020 due to the General Election.

 

 

 

 

0076/19

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

0076.1/19

Quarry Liaison meeting 27 November as previously discussed

 

 

 

 

0077/19

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

0077.1/19

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·                    VE Day 8 May 2020.  It was agreed to discuss this further at the next meeting with an intention to set up a working group with other village organisations and start planning.  A budget will need to be set.  DM to lead in the first instance

 

 

 

DM

 

·                    Email received regarding muddy roads – it was felt that there was very little that could be done about this apart from writing to local landowners.  The subject was left open for further discussion if warranted.

 

 

·                    Allotments Power Point presentation – to be distributed to Councillors

 

Clerk

 

·                    Tree Planting Programme for winter 2019/20

 

 

·                    Reimagining the Levels – tree planting project was held on 15 November.

 

 

 

 

0078/19

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

0078.1/19

Monday 16 December 2019 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall