MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2020 AT 7.00 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

David Mattick, Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Vicky Higgins, Recreation Field Committee for item 123.5/19

VH

 

 

Anthea Brooks (Clerk)

AB

 

 

G Bryant for planning item 117.1/19

GB

 

 

Two members of the public for item 123.11/19

 

 

 

 

 

0112/19

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0112.1/19

Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT), Martin Carter, Councillor (MC) and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH).

 

 

 

 

0113/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

0113.1/19

The Council, as a whole, declared an interest in planning item 2020/0092/HDG.  There were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no request for recording

 

 

 

 

0114/19

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 JANUARY 2020

 

 

 

 

0114.1/19

The minutes of the meeting were agreed and signed as a correct record by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

0115/19

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 JANUARY 2020

 

 

 

 

024.2/18

Cemetery - forbidden metal edging. The Clerk will contact the families involved again – ongoing.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft incorporating SW comments for approval at the next meeting.  Ongoing. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – Some repointing is required and PF will arrange a specification and obtain indicative prices. Ongoing

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch - The Clerk is organising a date in March for a meeting with other interested villages - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0042.1/19

NHS Health Checks – The Clerk is looking at possible dates - ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerpost – The fingerpost which is leaning slightly is at the Knapp Hill crossroads.  DS will arrange repair in the spring - ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

0058.8/19

Highways – Winter Service – it was agreed not to go ahead with the purchase of a dumpy bag of salt.  This will be considered again in the autumn - complete

 

 

 

 

 

0071.4.5/19

Letters of Easement to Hedgerow houses – Sent three yearly to relevant households Two more households now included - ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

0084.4/19

Grass Cutting –  Recreation Field – discussed later on the agenda

 

 

 

 

0090.11.1/19

Quarry – Long Term Maintenance Fund – PH was asked to chase SCC for information- ongoing

 

PH

 

 

 

0090.13/19

VE Day – DM will speak to MC and Chris Ingrem - ongoing

DM

 

 

 

0107.4.3/19

Grass Verges – Ongoing discussion with neighbours about damage to grass verges on land bordering the village street at Park Hayes.  DS agreed to mention it to the PCSO. VGT will speak to Rose Martin about using FixMyStreet for the abandoned car. . PH agreed to find the ownership map.   

 

DS

VGT

PH

 

 

 

0107.8.3/19

Road Closures – the Clerk had informed SCC of the correct email address to send notices of road closure - complete

 

 

 

 

0104/19

Review of Procedures

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Complaints Procedure - DM

DM

 

·                    Data Protection , Financial Regulations, Standing Orders

Clerk

 

 

 

0116/19

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0116.1/19

District Council (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·                    3 February Cabinet meeting presentation on Somerset Waste Prevention – land fill collections to be three weekly from June.

 

 

·                    Reorganisation – SCC prefers the unitary approach whilst MDC wish to explore options with the other Districts such as shared services.  A business case will be developed.

 

 

·                    Climate emergency – a presentation was received from Stroud DC.  Consideration of funding electric car charging points whether individually or in conjunction with a sub-contractor.

 

 

·                    County Road plan for carbon neutrality for 2030.

 

 

·                    Licensing Board – agreed that vaping should be banned in taxis

 

 

·                    Joint Cabinet and Scrutiny Meeting 4 February.  New expenditure investment strategy enables borrowing from the public works loan board to invest in regeneration projects. 

 

 

·                    Council tax – MDC aim to increase by £5 for band D – 3.16%. 

 

 

 

 

0117/19

PLANNING – New Applications

 

 

 

 

0117.1/19

2020/0082/HSE & LBC Renovation, repair and associated works at Prescott, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr G Bryant

 

 

 

 

0117.1.2/19

GM gave a short briefing on the intended works and the Council made the following observations.

 

 

 

 

0117.1.3/19

There are two applications – HSE and LBC.  The applications comprise: a range of work already permitted; implemented work (without consent) to be removed/altered; implemented work to be retained and new work.

 

 

 

 

0117.1.4/19

The following key points were discussed

 

 

 

 

0117.1.5/19

Structural work – the structural works already undertaken are utilitarian but have retained existing historic fabric as far as possible.  They are clearly identifiable as new work.  In this context it is suggested that they are accepted.

 

 

 

 

0117.1.6/19

Replacement of rear extension – the replacement is deemed to be more appropriate than that which exists, subject to appropriate materials, and its subservient appearance and form will not impact adversely on the character of the listed building.  The extension has no impact in terms of amenity of neighbouring properties.

 

 

 

 

0117.1.7/19

Windows (revised drawings) – typical overall detail is appropriate for replacement of modern windows to the pattern shown on the elevations.  However, where the windows are replacements of modern, and not repair of existing historic, the Parish Council would have no objection to the use of slim double glazing.

 

 

 

 

0117.1.7/19

HSE/LBC – it was agreed unanimously to recommend approval of both applications and the Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

0117.2/19

2020/0184/CLE Application for a certificate of lawful existing development for the change of use from a farm shop and ancillary accommodation to a self-contained dwelling – Broadbean, Quarry Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

0117.2.1/19

It was agreed that the building had been occupied for four years and that this is a valid application.  The clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

0117.3/19

2020/0092/HDG Removal of a hedgerow at Recreation Field, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

0117.3.1/19

The Council agreed unanimously that this should be left to the decision of the Planning Officer.  The Clerk will inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

0117.4/19

Status of Current Applications and other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

0117.4.1/19

2019/0435/PAA Prior approval of proposed change of use of agricultural building to a dwelling house (use Class C3) and for associated operational development on land at 367524 146177 Old Wells Road, Leigh-on-Mendip – pending appeal

 

 

 

 

0117.4.2/19

2019/1569/FUL Removal of existing garage building and erection of a whole life dwelling incorporating full disabled access on land lying NW of Hippys Farm Lane – application was discussed at Planning Board and permitted.  There is a grit bin on the verge outside the building to be relocated to the other side of the road.

 

 

 

 

0117.5/19

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View.

 

 

 

 

0117.5.1/19

DM reported that MDC had offered a letter by 9 February setting out the options but this has not yet been received.

 

 

 

 

0117.6/19

Five Year Land Supply

 

 

 

 

0117.6.1/19

DS attended this meeting at MDC.  The Council is currently not able to demonstrate a five year supply, the shortfall being 763 dwellings.  As a consequence the ‘presumption in favour of sustainable development’ as set out in the NPPF will apply.  This means that policies in the Local Plan which are related to the delivery of housing can be considered as out of date where they are relevant to the determination of a housing application.

 

 

 

 

0117.6.2/19

 AT stated that as part of the report from the Inspector, there is a requirement for 505 dwellings in the North East of the District with around 400 on the boundary between Mendip and BANES. 

 

 

 

 

0117.6.3/19

It was noted that if a Housing Needs Survey was in existence this would be taken into account when considering applications.

 

 

 

 

0118/19

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

0118.1/19

Financial Statement as at 17.02.20 – the financial statement as at 17.02.20 was considered and approved.

 

 

 

 

0118.2/19

Online Banking – the Clerk asked if she could investigate the possibility of online banking.  This was agreed. 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0118.3/19

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  HMRC – PAYE August – December £264.00

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for January £221.20

 

 

 

 

0119/19

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0119.1/19

Grass Cutting – the Clerk is seeking a new contractor.  Idverde and another possible contractor have been approached for a quotation. 

Clerk

 

 

 

0119.2/19

Yew Trees – PH will continue to chase, however AT has a meeting scheduled with Neighbourhood Services and will mention it then.

PH

AT

 

 

 

120/19

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

120.1/19

VGT reported the following points:

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The Allotment Association (AA) have planted hedging alongside the fencing which faces the Hedgerow

 

 

·                  The AA will have a formal agreement with the Recreation Field Management Committee (RFMC) to confirm that the AA are responsible for the hedging around the allotment fence.

 

 

·                  The AA were successful in their bid for a £500 grant from Improving Lives scheme via PH.  VGT was thanked for her efforts in obtaining this grant.

 

 

·                  A Secretary has recently been appointed.

 

 

·                  The AA AGM will take place shortly.

 

 

·                  Work is ongoing to get the accessible allotments ready.

 

 

·                  VGT had reminded the AA that they should be using Parish Council funding first because it is committed to them and they should approach the PC with a plan of what they want to spend.

 

 

 

 

120.2/19

Lease – Towler Brown have been authorised and are working on this. 

 

 

 

 

120.3/19

Shed Pre-Application – the Planning Officer has promised a statement by 23 February and will support a subsequent meeting if there are further issues to be discussed.  DM will inform Helen Gulvin.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

120.4/19

Tenancy Agreements – the quotation was £830.  DM was given approval to spend up to a sum of £900.

 

 

 

 

120.4/19

National Allotments Association – it was agreed that the membership is no longer required.

 

 

 

 

0121/19

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

0121.1/19

There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

0122/19

CLIMATE CHANGE ISSUES

 

 

 

 

0122.1/19

A copy of an Environmental Policy issued by a local Parish Council had been distributed for comment.  There are two further Drop-In events taking place in Frome on 3 March at the Town Hall and the other in Wells on 19 March also at the Town Hall.  Both events between 6.00 p.m. and 9.00 p.m.  DM asked for Councillors to consider what the Council wants to do at this stage.  The Clerk had circulated an email on 5 February from SCC with a link to an on line survey.  This subject will be discussed again at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

0123/19

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0123.1/19

PCSO (DS) - PACT Meeting – AT attended.  Main issue was speeding.  It was noted that Mike Storey is moving on and will be replaced by Russell Ford.

 

 

 

 

0123.2/19

Footpaths (DS) – DS reported that the undergrowth obstruction on the Barnclose footpath needs clearance. 

 

 

 

 

 

0123.3/19

Rangers (DS) – DS confirmed that the Rangers have work plans to be undertaken when the weather improves.  It was noted that dogs are fouling the piece of land earmarked for the Cemetery Extension and a notice is to be erected giving details of the intended use of the land.

 

 

 

 

0123.4/19

Highways (MC) – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0123.5/19

Recreation Field – Grass Cutting – VH asked for a breakdown of the agreement with the contractor.  The Clerk will get this information together and send to VH. 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0123.6/19

Memorial Hall – the condition of the Memorial Hall shed is being considered (the Toddlers Group are seeking replacement of their shed).  The Council asked whether one shed would be sufficient for both organisations.  It was noted that the Tarmac Quiz will take place on Saturday 21 March.

 

 

 

 

0123.7/19

School – a letter had been sent to the Developer thanking them for agreeing to absorb any costs associated with development of the piece of land which is being given to the school and asking to be involved in the planning process.

 

 

 

 

0123.8/19

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0123.8/19

Quarry (DS) – four Community Fund Grant applications have been sent to the Quarry

 

 

 

 

0123.9/19

Housing Needs Survey – this has been distributed to all Councillors and will be put on the village website.  DM proposed that the Council should accept the Housing Needs Survey – this was approved unanimously.  DM will draft a letter to CCS thanking them for their work and stating that the survey has been accepted.  DM will send a copy of the survey to AT.

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

123.10/19

Allotment Association – will be included in Councillor Reports for future agendas.

 

 

 

 

123.11/19

Trees – two members of the public from Bellfield attended the meeting to report on the condition of the trees which border the Memorial Hall and which are a safety concern.  AT stated that he has a meeting with the Neighbourhood Services Manager scheduled this week and will mention it.  VGT also suggested reporting this on FixMyStreet.

 

 

 

 

AT

 

 

 

0123/19

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

0123.1/19

Parish Forum Development Workshop will take place on 10 March 6 – 8.30 p.m. at MDC.

 

 

 

 

0124/19

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

0124.1/19

 Parish Forum 26 March – DS to attend

 

 

 

 

0125/19

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

0125.1/19

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/telephone calls

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Discussion with a local landowner regarding muck spreading on fields close to the Whitehole Spring.

 

 

·                  Email from SALC regarding a national census of Village Hall and other Community Buildings being undertaken by Action with Communities in Rural England.  The Clerk will forward to the Sue Vaughan with a copy to councillors.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                  Letter from Councillor Ros Wyke, Leader of MDC regarding proposed unitary council

 

 

·                  Email from Chairman, Lamyatt Parish Council asking for progress on TrueSpeed.  Clerk to send to DM

 

Clerk

 

·                  Email from Fivehead Council Clerk asking for information about undertaking a Housing Needs Survey.  Clerk to respond.

Clerk

 

·                  Email from MDC regarding the briefing on housing land supply and attaching a copy of the presentation.  Clerk to send to Councillors

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0126/19

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

0126.1/19

Monday 16 March 2020 at 7.00 p.m. in the Memorial Hall