MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 APRIL 2020 AT 7.00 P.M. ON LINE

 

Present

David Mattick, Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

Vicki Trundle

VT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor

AT

 

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Marie Gregory (item 0147.1/19 only)

MG

 

 

 

 

0142/19

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

0142.1/19

There were no apologies for absence

 

 

 

 

0143/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

0143.1/19

MC declared an interest in item 0147.2.3/19.  There were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

0144/19

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 MARCH 2020

 

 

 

 

0144.1/19

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 March 2020 were agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

0145/19

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 MARCH 2020

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft for approval.  Ongoing. 

Clerk

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – Some repointing is required, PF agreed to seek a spec and obtain indicative prices. Review in the spring, ongoing

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch - Seek a meeting date with other villages post COVID-19

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerpost – The fingerpost which is leaning slightly is at the Knapp Hill crossroads.  DS will arrange repair in the spring - ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

0071.4.5/19

Letters of Easement to Hedgerow houses – Sent three yearly to relevant households Two more households now included - ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

0104/19

Complaints Procedure– once agreement has been received from all Councillors the policy will be adopted and put on the website.

DM

 

 

 

0104/10

Data Protection , Financial Regulations, Standing Orders

Clerk

 

 

 

0118.2/19

Online Banking – the Clerk is investigating a new online banking account offered by NatWest.  Ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

0135.1/19

Shed Pre: Application - response was received 6 March and is being assessed by the RFMC and the AA. A way ahead will be decided soon.

 

DM

 

 

 

0140/19

Corporate Plan – no comments - complete

 

 

 

 

0146/19

District Council (AT / PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                  AT and PH have raised with Mendip the issue of the closure of the Recycling Centres about which many complaints have been received. The issue is one of resources- with so many off sick.

 

 

·                  A new Village Agent appointment is imminent.

 

 

·                  People have been asked not to light bonfires

 

 

·                  MDC are issuing regular coronavirus updates – latest issue 3

 

 

 

 

0147/19

PLANNING - New Applications

 

 

 

 

0147.1/19

2020/0721/OTS Application for Outline Planning Permission with some matters reserved for the erection of 3 dwellings with details of access at Corner Cottage, Quarry Lane, leigh-on-Mendip for Miss R Cole

 

 

 

 

0147.1.1/19

The application was discussed and the following points made

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Potential loss of ecological habitats

 

 

·                    Concern with regard to access, highway safety and traffic generation particularly on this corner near the school where school traffic and parking including buses is a problem.  The school is due to expand, which will make the parking worse.

 

 

·                    Edge of countryside location remote from the limited village services.  Does not confirm to the linear nature of the village

 

 

·                    General Observations: the five year land supply has a presumption in favour of sustainable development.  Leigh-on-Mendip remains an isolated settlement (as defined by the local plan) with development strictly controlled and hence development here is inherently unsustainable particularly given the very limited services available in the village.

 

 

·                    Reference recent permission for two dwellings in the village – it is noted that in 2016 an infill development was permitted for two dwellings but the difference here is that the dwellings were located on an existing plot towards the centre of the village where buildings had existed.  The plot sat comfortably adjoining other dwellings with relatively easy access to the highway.

 

 

 

 

0147.1.2/19

It was proposed to recommend refusal of permission and this was agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

0147.2/19

Status of Current Applications and Other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

0147.2.1/19

 

2020/0082/HSE and 2020/0083/LBC Renovation, both for the repair and associated works. - Prescott Leigh Street Leigh on Mendip Radstock BA3 5QQ - pending

 

 

 

 

0147.2.2/19

2020/0758/FUL and 2020/0761/FUL – Erection of new livestock building and conversion of existing building to provide annexed accommodation at Grove Shute Farm – both applications arrived too late to be discussed at this meeting.  The Clerk to ask MDC for an extension so that they can be discussed at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

0147.2.3/19

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View - DM reported that despite representations to MDC from several sources there has been no significant reaction to date.  PH stated that comments are still awaited.

 

 

 

 

0147.2.4/19

Brimble Lee liaison with PC and village meeting - DM reported that the developer had scheduled a public meeting in March which obviously had to be cancelled.  Nothing further has been heard since.

 

 

 

 

0148/19

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

0148.1/19

Financial Statement as at 31.03.20 – the financial statement for the end of the year was considered.  The Clerk to send a further copy to DM for signature.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0148.2/19

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for March, £221.20 – invoice to be raised

 

 

 

 

0148.3/19

Monthly invoices will be received from Idverde for grass cutting in the churchyard in the amount of £82.42.  A direct debit will be set up as soon as possible.

 

 

 

 

0148.4/19

DM reported that the defibrillator at the Hall will need a battery and pad pack in July which will cost approximately £120. 

 

 

 

 

0149/19

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

0149.1/19

Grass Cutting: Agreement had been made to award the contract to Idverde from 1 April 2020.  Two cuts have already been done.  

 

 

 

 

0149.2/19

Yew Trees an inconclusive meeting with MDC took place at which the Tree Officer felt his integrity was being questioned. The churchwarden and DM attended the meeting; a response to MDC is being drafted. 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

0149.3/19

SER – Special Expense Rate - a discussion took place on the amount of money ring fenced under this scheme by MDC for the churchyard, which seems to be excessive. PH agreed to look into this and report back.

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

0150/19

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

0150.1/19

VGT reported that the allotments are proving very popular.  The AGM was cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions; a newsletter will be produced instead.  DM will speak to Towler-Brown Solicitors again about the leases.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

0151/19

CORONAVIRUS

 

 

 

 

0151.1/19

Following the Council meeting in March, CC, as coordinator of the Neighbourhood Watch scheme had agreed to set up a village wide approach sponsored by the Parish Council.  Leaflets were distributed and a page set up on the village website which is regularly updated.  The Parish Council extended thanks to CC for all his work on this.

 

 

 

 

0151.2/19

It was agreed that any complaints about failure to comply with restrictions should be directed to the PCSO. 

 

 

 

 

0151.3/19

MC had received an offer from a villager willing to provide hot meals free of charge for anybody we feel may benefit.  It was noted that there are already a number of people receiving meals from various sources within the village.  MC was thanked for raising this il and it was agreed that if anyone is identified who could benefit from this service their name will be put forward.

 

 

 

 

0154/19

HEALTH AND SAFETY: There were no issues to discuss

 

 

 

 

0155/19

ANNUAL NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

0155.1/19

The draft newsletter had been distributed, amended and agreed.  As a result of the current situation the newsletter will not be distributed to all households but will be emailed to Councillors contacts, put on the website (CC) and Facebook (VT).  DM will print enough copies and leave some in the telephone box and on noticeboards. 

 

 

 

 

DM / VT

 

 

 

0156/19

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

0156.1/19

PCSO (DS) – PCSO Russell Ford will be holding the first Facebook live beat surgery on his Facebook page on Thursday 30 April at 6.00 p.m. answering questions about policing and the COVID-19 guidance.

 

 

 

 

0156.2/19

Footpaths / Rangers (DS) – MC had reported some fallen trees on the path running through Leigh Wood to Coleford.  The blockages have been referred to Somerset Rights of Way.  A new stile has been installed in Hookey Lane.  The Clerk had received notification of the redirection of footpath FR8/19 and FR8/22 leading from Bellfield and this was supported by the Council.  A letter had been received from one of the Rangers thanking the Council for their Christmas present.

 

 

 

 

 

0156.3/19

Highways (MC) – the abandoned car is still present and a letter has been sent to the owner asking for it to be removed.  The grassed area on the other corner of Park Hayes is very muddy and a solution needs to be found for this.

 

 

 

 

0156.4/19

Recreation Field (VGT) – the Clerk to send information regarding grass cutting to DM.  A letter confirming the grass cutting for this year needs to be sent to Shepton Mallet Landscapes.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

0156.5/19

Memorial Hall (VGT) – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0156.6/19

School (MC) – there is an expectation that in the current situation the change to primary status may be delayed until next year.

 

 

 

 

0156.7/19

SALC (Clerk) – Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0156.8/19

Quarry (DS) – business has dropped off significantly but the quarry is still working with some staff furloughed.  The commissioning of the asphalt plant has been postponed.  A complaint has been received from a villager in Bellfield about a noise which happens at about 6.00 a.m. each morning possibly coming from the quarry. The Manager is investigating and will report back to DS and MDC.   Thanks were extended to the quarry for sounding their siren at 8.00 p.m. on Thursdays when the clap for the NHS takes place.

 

 

 

 

0156.9/19

Allotment Association (VGT) – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0156.10/19

Facebook and Website – PF had suggested that it would be useful to have a shared private area on the PC website.  It was agreed that this would not be feasible but that there might be an alternative where documents could be saved.  This will be investigated.

 

 

 

 

0157/19

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN: Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0158/19

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED: nothing to report

 

 

 

 

0159/19

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

0159.1/19

The Clerk reported that she is receiving regular Coronavirus updates and bulletins from SCC and MDC which she is distributing as required.

 

 

 

 

0160/19

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING – Monday 18 May at 7.00 p.m. online