MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 18 MAY 2020 AT 7.00 P.M. ON LINE

 

Present

David Mattick, Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor (part meeting)

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor (part meeting)

AT

 

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

001/20

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

001.1/20

Apologies for absence were received from Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT)

 

 

 

 

002/20

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

002.1/20

MC declared an interest in item 006.3.3/20.  There were no other declarations of interest or dispensations and no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

003/20

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 APRIL 2020

 

 

 

 

003.1/20

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 April 2020 were agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

004/20

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 APRIL 2020

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft for approval.  Ongoing. 

Clerk

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – PF has looked at the walls which need repointing and will be prepare a spec and obtain indicative prices. Ongoing

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch - Seek a meeting date with other villages post COVID-19

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerpost – The fingerpost which is leaning slightly is at the Knapp Hill crossroads.  DS will arrange repair in the autumn - ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

0071.4.5/19

Letters of Easement to Hedgerow houses – Sent three yearly to relevant households Two more households now included - complete

 

 

 

 

 

0104/19

Complaints Procedure – agreed and is now on the website - complete

 

 

 

 

0104/10

Data Protection , Financial Regulations, Standing Orders – Clerk to finalise before the next meeting

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

0118.2/19

Online Banking – the Clerk is investigating a new online banking account offered by NatWest.  Ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

0135.1/19

Shed Pre: Application – unlikely that planning is required given the size of the proposed shed  – work in progress

 

 

 

 

 

0149.3/19

SER – Special Expense Rate – awaits a reply from MDC regarding money ring fenced by this scheme for the churchyard - ongoing

 

PH

 

 

 

0155/19

Annual Newsletter – distributed - complete

 

 

 

 

0156.4/19

Recreation Field – grass cutting – the Clerk to have a conversation with Vicky Higgins regarding the grass cutting for this year - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

005/20

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

005.1/20

County Council (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Briefings regarding COVID-19 continue to be distributed both from SCC and MDC

 

 

·                  SCC has received Government funding to spend on COVID-19

 

 

·                  There is an underspend of £6m for the year

 

 

·                  Major issue is registration process where face to face meetings are not allowed.  Many marriages have been cancelled and births have not yet been recorded

 

 

 

 

005.2/20

District Council (AT/PH)

 

 

 

 

 

·               Annual full council meeting postponed

 

 

·               Virtual meetings taking place and a lot of normal business is still going ahead

 

 

·               Recycling centres are reopening but with social separation

 

 

·               Public pressure to reopen markets – awaiting Government guidance

 

 

·               Schools reopening causing some problems regarding social distancing.

 

 

·               Green waste bins – stickers not distributed yet

 

 

·               New Village Agent – Mr Nick Edwards who will attend a future council meeting

 

 

 

 

006/20

PLANNING - New Applications

 

 

 

 

006.1/20

2020/0758/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill – Erection of new livestock building

 

 

 

 

006.1.1/20

The application was discussed and the following points made

 

 

 

 

 

·                    Building is for calving, lambing and overwintering but there is no waste management proposed to prevent environ mental pollution with animal manures, birthing arisings or run off

 

 

 

 

 

·               There is a threat of animal biosecurity with two separate farms having buildings so close together.  For example, cross contamination such as TB could threaten one of the farms livelihood.

 

 

 

 

 

·               General Observations – this high area of the parish affords wide views northwards and attracts a number of agricultural buildings that seem to be little used; there is a good example a few hundred yards west of the proposed location.  Another little used agricultural building would be an undesirable addition to the locality.  It is surprising that no water supply is proposed to this building that is to be used for herd overwintering, lambing and calving along with appropriate drainage.

 

 

 

 

006.1.2/20

It was proposed to recommend refusal of permission and this was agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

006.2/20

2020/0761/FUL – Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill – conversion of existing building to provide annexed accommodation

 

 

 

 

006.2.1/20

The application was discussed and the following points made

 

 

 

 

 

·               will not impact on residential amenity of adjoining properties given courtyard facing openings

 

 

·               modest conversion of part of the building with simple glazed openings on courtyard side

 

 

·               will not generate greater traffic movement than already exists

 

 

·               General observations – although in an area where development is strictly controlled, utilises the existing building and would be ancillary to the host building and unlikely to be able to function as an independent dwelling.  As such is considered acceptable.

 

 

 

 

006.2.2/20

It was proposed to recommend that the decision be left to the Planning Officer and this was agreed unanimously

 

 

 

 

006.3/20

Status of Current Applications and Other Planning Matters

 

 

 

 

006.3.1/20

 

2020/0082/HSE and 2020/0083/LBC Renovation, both for the repair and associated works. - Prescott Leigh Street Leigh on Mendip Radstock BA3 5QQ - pending

 

 

 

 

006.3.2/20

 

2020/0721/OTS application for outline planning permission with some matters reserved for the erection of three dwellings with details of access at Corner Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip – pending.  Holding objection from ecology until surveys undertaken.  No objection from highways subject to various conditions including widening the footway.

 

 

 

 

006.3.3/20

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View - DM reported that MDC had commissioned an independent review of the situation and the report is awaited.

 

 

 

 

007/20

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

007.1/20

Financial Statement as at 31.03.20 – the financial statement for the end of the year was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

 

007.2/20

Finance Statement at 20.04.20 and 18.05.20 – the financial statements from 20 April and 18 May were agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

007.3/20

Cheques agreed and raised

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for April,  £221.20

 

 

·                  Came & Co – annual insurance premium.  The invoice received was for £427.06.  However the Council agreed to opt for the LTA (long term arrangement) over a period of three years and the Clerk was asked to contact Came & Co for a revised invoice.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                  Idverde – grass cutting invoice has not yet been received.  The Clerk will contact them to expedite.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

007.4/20

AGAR (Audit) Progress

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Governance Review – the Governance document was agreed

 

 

·                     Income and Expenditure – the income and expenditure account was agreed

 

 

·                     Asset Register – the register was approved with the land adjacent to the Recreation Field for Open Space and Allotments to be added.  The Register will then be signed by two Parish Councillors.

 

 

 

 

007.5/20

Defibrillator Padpack – it was agreed that DM should purchase the PadPack at a cost of £112.80

 

DM

 

 

 

008/20

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

008.1/20

Yew Trees – DM reported that a response to MDC’s letter was sent on 5 May 2020 and that clarification was awaited about the validity of the TPO.  The other item arising is the appropriateness of the special expense rates being investigated by PH. 

 

 

 

 

009/20

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

009.1/20

VGT had emailed the allotment newsletter to Councillors.  Unfortunately the Recreation Field Management Committee (RFMC) was refused planning permission for the hedge removal.  A revised application is to be made with a more limited removal of the hedge.  The Association will discuss use of the amount in the Parish Council budget of £1,000.  VGT will discuss with Rose Martin. 

 

 

 

 

 

VGT

 

 

 

009.2/20

It was noted that the leases had been received from the solicitors but the RFMC lease needs to be amended.  DM will contact the solicitor.

 

 

 

 

010/20

CORONAVIRUS

 

 

 

 

010.1/20

It was noted that all seems to be stable and straight forward in the village.  CC was thanked again for his outstanding management of the village website.

 

 

 

 

011/20

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

011.1/20

It had been agreed not to post the annual newsletter through individual letter boxes because of the risk of COVID-19 contamination.  The newsletter is to be posted on Facebook, the village website and noticeboards. 

 

 

 

 

012/20

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

012.1/20

PCSO (DS) – PCSO Russell Ford held the first online Beat Surgery with another one scheduled to take place on Wednesday 20 May 2020 at 16.30.  Questions are to be submitted beforehand.

 

 

 

 

012.2/20

Footpaths / Rangers (DS) – DS stated that the fallen trees reported by MC on the path 8/5 through Leigh Woods had been cleared. 

 

 

 

 

 

012.3/20

Highways (MC) – the abandoned car is still present at Park Hayes despite a letter having been sent to the owner asking for its removal.  MC agreed to contact the PCSO regarding this.  Nothing further has happened on the potential for hard standing on the land by number 5

 

 

 

MC

 

 

 

012.4/20

Recreation Field VGT) – thanks were extended to Frank Higgins for grass cutting various areas.

 

 

 

 

012.5/20

Memorial Hall (VGT) – a grant of £10,000 has been received from MDC.  Repairing the roof is currently on hold.  Truespeed have installed Broadband to the hall.

 

 

 

 

012.5/20

School (MC) – the school is preparing to receive a few children of key workers this week.  As part of the Midsomer Norton Schools Partnership and in accordance with the National guidelines arrangements are being made to open the school for Reception and Year 1 children from 1 June.  Parents have been asked to indicate whether they intend to send their children or not.  There is a level of concern about this amongst parents at the moment.  A planning application for an additional classroom and facilities to accommodate the additional year group from September have been submitted.  The application was received too late for this meeting and it was therefore agreed to hold an Extraordinary Meeting on Tuesday 26 May on line to discuss the planning application.

 

 

 

 

012.6/20

SALC (Clerk) – Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

012.7/20

Quarry (DS) – the early morning noise problem seems to have been resolved.  A complaint has been received from Dores Hill about blasting.  The Quarry Manager has been to discuss the problem with the complainant.  The current blasting area seems to be the culprit and the quarry are doing what they can to adjust the blasting pattern.  It was proposed to send a note to the Quarry Manager thanking him for the support given on VE Day when the ‘V’ for victory sign was broadcast.  Thanks are also extended to them for use of the siren on Thursdays for ‘Clap for Carers’.  It was noted that the increase in construction in the area has resulted in the quarry production increasing.

 

 

 

 

012.8/20

Allotment Association (VGT) – as previously reported

 

 

 

 

012.9/20

Facebook and Website – thanks were extended to CC and Vicki Batten for their continuing support in running Facebook and the Website.  PF had suggested that it would be useful to have a shared private area for documents and this will be investigated

 

 

 

 

012.10/20

VE Day – thanks were extended to MC for the work in bringing together the various activities in the village which all went very well.

 

 

 

 

013/20

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN: Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

014/20

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED:

 

 

 

 

 

·               Beat Surgery – on line 20 May at 16.30

 

 

 

 

014/20

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

014.1/20

The Clerk reported that she is receiving regular Coronavirus updates and bulletins from SCC and MDC which she is distributing as required.

 

 

 

 

014.2/20

Cycle Way – it was noted that some interest has been received regarding the paragraph in the newsletter regarding an off road cycle link from the village to the Colliers Way cycle path.  There is a route which could be made suitable but it needs building up and incorporating into the National cycle way.  It was agreed that DM would ask CC if he would interested in this and VGT offered her services to look at any bidding which may be available.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM / VGT

 

 

 

014.3/20

Letter from Secretary of State – received by DM regarding funding available to Parish and Town Councils.  DM has sent a copy to PH and MDC asking for more details of the terms and conditions. 

 

 

 

 

015/20

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

Extraordinary Meeting – Tuesday 26 May at 7.00 p.m. online

Parish Council Meeting -  Monday 15 June at 7.00 p.m. online