MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 15 JUNE 2020 AT 7.00 P.M. ON LINE

 

Present

David Mattick, Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Martin Carter

MC

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor (part meeting)

PH

 

 

Alan Townsend, District Councillor (part meeting)

AT

 

 

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

016/20

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

016.1/20

Apologies for absence received from Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT)

 

 

 

 

017/20

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

017.1/20

Only MC who declared an interest in item 022.8/20. 

 

 

 

 

018/20

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18 MAY 2020

 

 

 

 

018.1/20

The minutes were agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

019/20

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 18 MAY 2020

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft for approval.  Ongoing. 

Clerk

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – PF will invite a contractor to look at the work which needs doing with a view to obtaining an indicative price- ongoing

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch - Seek a meeting date with other villages post COVID-19

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerpost – The fingerpost is leaning slightly at the Knapp Hill crossroads.  DS will arrange repair in the autumn - ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

0104/10

Policies - Financial Regulations complete and approved unanimously.  Will be sent to the website.  Standing Orders – some queries to resolve between DM/AB and then will be sent out for approval at the next meeting - ongoing

 

 

 

AB/DM

 

 

 

0118.2/19

Online Banking – the Clerk has registered with the new Bankline initiative and is awaiting more information.  Ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

0135.1/19

Shed Pre: Application – unlikely that planning is required given the size of the proposed shed – work in progress

 

 

 

 

 

0149.3/19

SER – Special Expense Rate – PH still awaits a reply from MDC on money ring fenced by this scheme for the churchyard - ongoing

 

PH

 

 

 

0156.4/19

Recreation Field – grass cutting – the Clerk reported that she would be obtaining a quote Shepton Mallet Landscapes to support a contract.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

007.3/20

Came & Co – annual insurance premium.  The revised invoice for a period of three years insurance was received and has been paid

 

 

 

 

007.3/20

Idverde – the Clerk has been in contact with Idverde a monthly invoice is expected - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

007.5/20

Defibrillator Padpack – to be ordered by DM during July at a cost of £112.80 - ongoing

 

DM

 

 

 

014.2/20

Cycle Way – some interest was received an off road cycle link to Colliers Way cycle path.  CC agreed to take this forward - ongoing

 

 

 

 

020/20

MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON TUESDAY 26 MAY 2020

 

 

 

 

020.1/20

The minutes were agreed and signed as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

021/20

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

021.1/20

One Somerset

 

 

 

 

021.1.1/20

SCC is keen to move to a unitary authority and the District Councils are not.  This was on hold due to COVID-19 but is now live again and out for consultation.  Various documents and letters had been received by the Parish Council.   

 

 

 

 

021.1.2/20

After discussion the following was agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                  to reply to the Cognisant Research Feedback Form as individuals and not try to derive a Parish Council view

 

 

·                  to not respond to the Local Government Report (LGR) as requested.  There is currently not enough information available and it is not possible to represent parishioner’s views without at least one village open meeting which is prohibited by Coronavirus restrictions.  DM will draft a response to SCC and the MDC leader and will send it if all Councillors agree.

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

  • It was also agreed that the Parish Council would inform parishioners that the debate was ongoing and point them at the ‘One Somerset’ website via village website, Facebook and notice boards.  DM would send out a draft for agreement.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

021.1.3/20

General Issues – County Council (PH)

 

 

 

 

 

COVID-19 is still the main business.  Overall SCC has been praised for all the hard work and keeping the rate of infection low.

 

 

·                  Active travel especially around cycleways and footpaths has been highlighted by grants from central government to capture some of the habits which COVID-19 has changed. 

 

 

·                  Various sums of money are available at certain times with the final £500k to be bid for next January.  The District and County Councils are working hard to get schemes ready for any monies that become available.

 

 

·                  Finance at SCC showed 99% of savings last year achieved with around 7.6 million underspend which is seen as exceptional given the circumstances of two years ago.  However the Coronavirus is costing more than the compensation money being received from central government and not knowing what the recovery will be is worrying.

 

 

 

 

021.1.4/20

District Council (AT/PH)

 

 

 

 

 

The last month has been busy with COVID 19 being the biggest issue. 

 

 

·               Cabinet included items on footpaths and cycleways to reduce car usage with some funding from central government.  A paper was received on the new clear air act and its implications for Mendip

 

 

·               Scrutiny – verbal updates were received on how MDC were dealing with the pandemic with an update on the implications to 2020/21 and 2021/22 financially

 

 

·               Planning – May meeting cancelled and rescheduled for 10 June

 

 

·               Grass Cutting – this has been stood down due to COVID-19 cutting will recommence from 18 May

 

 

·               Green Waste Bins – those who paid for bins will get a refund next year due to them not being emptied in April and May. 

 

 

·               Parking – SCC have traffic wardens working but MDC have decided not to charge for parking until August when the decision will be reviewed.

 

 

·               A virtual meeting of the Licencing Board took place last week where endorsement was given to mandate that all taxi drivers should receive safeguarding training. 

 

 

·               Highways are preparing a local programme of cleaning up all road signs and it was agreed that to include signs on the Old Wells Road. 

 

 

·               Highways – new signage to go up on Old Wells Road shortly.

 

 

 

 

022/20

PLANNING - New Applications

 

 

 

 

022.1/20

2020/0921/FUL – Leigh-on-Mendip County First School – extension and refurbishment of existing building, replacement of external cladding and upgrade of flat roof to improve thermal performance and provision of new canopy – Recommended approval at the Extraordinary Meeting on 26 May.   Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

022.2/20

2020/0885/HSE Two storey side extension and rear conservatory at 19 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip.  Recommended for approval at Extraordinary meeting held on 26 May.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

022.3/20

2020/0761/FUL – Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill – conversion of existing building to provide annexed accommodation.  The Council recommendation leave to planning officer.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

022.4/20

2020/0758/FUL – Erection of new livestock building at Grove Shute Farm.  Parish Council recommended refusal.  Currently pending

 

 

 

 

022.5/20

2020/0721/OTS – Application for outline planning permission with some matters reserved for the erection of three dwellings with details of access at Corner Cottage.  Parish Council recommended refusal.  No objection from highways subject to various conditions including widening the footway.  Currently pending

 

 

 

 

022.6/20

2020/0082/HSE and 2020/0083/LBC Renovation, both for the repair and associated works. - Prescott Leigh Street Leigh on Mendip Radstock BA3 5QQ.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

022.7/20

Other Planning Issues

 

 

 

 

022.8/20

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View – the MDC independent review of the situation is due to report by 30 June.

 

 

 

 

023/20

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

023.1/20

Financial Statement as at 15.06.20 – the financial statement as at 15.06.20 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

 

023.2/20

Unpresented cheques – Postlebury PCC – Clerk will void cheques and await a repeat invoice.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

023.3/20

Cheques agreed and raised: Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for May,  £221.20

 

 

 

 

023.4/20

AGAR (Audit) Progress

 

 

 

 

 

·         Internal Audit – the internal audit has been carried out with no issues raised.

 

 

·         Accounting Statement – this document is tied in with the Income and Expenditure document which was agreed at the last meeting.  The Council voted unanimously to approve the Accounting Statement which was signed.

 

 

 

 

024/20

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

024.1/20

Yew Trees – a report is awaited from MDC which is due by 30 June. 

 

024.2/20

Hedge Cutting – a quote is awaited from Idverde for trimming the hedge around the cemetery and then a more radical cut in the autumn to bring the hedge back to its original height.  There also needs to be a hedge trim around the SE corner of the Graveyard adjacent to the school which the Rangers may be able to do.

 

 

 

 

025/20

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

025.1/20

Leases – The Allotment Association lease was returned on 20 May.  The RFMC lease was more difficult and was returned on 26 May.  A response from Towler Brown is awaited. 

 

 

 

 

025.2/20

PreApp­ the allotment association does not need a planning application to change use. The AA storage facility will be permitted development. 

 

 

 

 

026/20

CORONAVIRUS

 

 

 

 

026.1/20

The updates and bulletins received from SCC and MDC were being distributed regularly by the Clerk. There seems to be no problems in the village and CC and Vicki Batten were thanked again for their work with the website and Facebook.  .NALC had sent out information that if recommissioning takes place then a risk assessment will need to be completed.  It was agreed that the only areas would be the children’s playground which RFMC would cover and the Village Hall which the committee will cover.  DM will send the link to VGT.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

027/20

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

027.1/20

No issues to report.

 

 

 

 

028/20

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

028.1/20

PCSO (DS) – PCSO Russell Ford will hold another online Beat Surgery on Thursday 18 June 2020 at 13.00.

 

 

 

 

028.2/20

Footpaths / Rangers (DS) – Rangers are on furlough at the moment.  Outstanding jobs will be done when it is deemed safe to tackle them.

 

 

 

 

 

028.3/20

Highways (MC)

 

 

 

 

028.3.1/20

The abandoned car at Park Hayes has been moved, the owner acknowledged receipt of the letter from the Parish Council.  There is a similar problem with another car on land at Park Hayes / Apple Meadow View corner.  MC will visit the owner and ask for the car to be moved

 

 

 

MC

 

028.3.2/20

The muddy corner at the top of Park Hayes was discussed.  A suggestion was made to widen the corner and road where possible. DM would be interested in views on this before the next meeting. 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

028.4/20

Recreation Field VGT) – The RFMC are resolving an  an issue about a tree on the corner of the driveway which a resident in the Hedgerows is concerned about. 

 

 

 

 

028.5/20

Memorial Hall (VGT) – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

028.6/20

School (MC) – there are currently 17 children attending school in two year groups.  A risk assessment has been carried out and social distancing is being undertaken.  Generally parents and staff are happy with the current arrangements.  The Hall had offered use of their facilities if the school requires them.

 

 

 

 

028.7/20

SALC (Clerk) – Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

028.8/20

Quarry (DS) – the Manager is currently on furlough.  The tar plant has not been started up yet – it is expected to be commissioned in about eight weeks’ time.   A recent loud blast was noted by several parishioners. DS agreed to ask the quarry if there was a possibility of a 24-hour notice advice to villagers through the Facebook page.

 

 

 

 

028.9/20

Allotment Association (VGT) – VGT has checked Rose Martin is aware of the PC grant budget. The books are being audited and work is still ongoing setting up the water supply. One allotment was relinquished but was quickly reallocated and there is a waiting list.

 

 

 

 

028.10/20

Facebook and Website – there was an issue with a post which was taken down very quickly.

 

 

 

 

028.11/20

NALC Website Accessibility – CC had submitted a plan and it was agreed that he should proceed as planned.

 

 

 

 

029/20

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN: Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

030/20

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED: Beat Surgery – on line 18 June at 13.00

 

 

 

 

031/20

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

031.1/20

The Clerk reported that she is receiving regular Coronavirus updates and bulletins from SCC and MDC which she is distributing as required.

 

 

 

 

031.2/20

Cycleway – CC had put together a draft plan and had spoken to both PH and AT about the MDC approach.  VGT had volunteered to do any bidding required.  A final call for supporters for the project will be made on the Website, Facebook and noticeboards and flagged to known to be keen cyclists.  Without further support the project will be put on hold.  This was unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

031.3/20

Model Code of Conduct Consultation – DM will go through this, make comments and sent it out to Councillors for consideration.  This will eventually replace the current Code of Conduct. 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

031.4/20

Planning Enforcement – an overview of the service and its functions was received from MDC.

 

 

 

 

031.5/20

Giant Hogweed – there had been a post on Facebook about the presence of giant hogweed in the field adjacent to The Firs.  The plants are some way off the public footpath and can only be approached through brambles and nettles.  The tenants of the field are G B Turner at Finger Farm and it was agreed to write to them to ask for the plants to be dealt with and preferably removed. . 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

032/20

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

Parish Council Meeting - Monday 20 July at 7.00 p.m. online