MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 JULY 2020 AT 7.00 P.M. ON LINE

 

Present

David Mattick, Chairman

DM

 

 

Paula Freeland

PF

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Vicky Taylor

VGT

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

PH

 

 

Louisa Phillips, Head teacher, Leigh School (for item 038.7.2/20)

LP

 

 

 

 

033/20

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

033.1/20

Apologies for absence received from Vicki Trundle, Councillor (VT), Martin Carter, Councillor (MC), Alan Townsend, District Councillor (AT) and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

034/20

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS AND REQUESTS FOR RECORDING.

 

 

 

 

034.1/20

There were no declarations of interest and dispensations and no requests for recording.

 

 

 

 

035/20

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15 JUNE 2020

 

 

 

 

035.1/20

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 June were agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

036/20

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 15 JUNE 2020

 

 

 

 

137.1/18

GDPR Policy - Clerk to issue final draft for approval.  Ongoing. 

Clerk

 

 

 

0024.3/19

Churchyard Walls – PF will invite a contractor to look at the work which needs doing with a view to obtaining an indicative price- ongoing

PF

 

 

 

0041.10/19

Speedwatch - Seek a meeting date with other villages post COVID-19

Clerk

 

 

 

0058.7/19

Fingerpost – The fingerpost which is leaning slightly is at the Knapp Hill crossroads.  DS will arrange repair in the autumn - ongoing

 

DS

 

 

 

0104/10

Policies - Financial Regulations have been sent to the website. Standing Orders – some queries to resolve between DM/AB, comments to be received and approved at next meeting. - ongoing

 

 

AB/DM

 

 

 

0118.2/19

Online Banking – the Clerk has registered with the new Bankline initiative and is awaiting more information.  Ongoing

Clerk

 

 

 

0149.3/19

SER – Special Expense Rate – information received for the past four financial years but raises more questions - ongoing

 

PH

 

 

 

0156.4/19

Recreation Field – grass cutting – the Clerk reported that she would be obtaining a quote from Shepton Mallet Landscapes to support the contract. ongoing

 

Clerk

007.3/20

Idverde – the Clerk has been in contact with Idverde a monthly invoice is expected (see 039.2/20)

 

Clerk

 

 

 

007.5/20

Defibrillator Padpack – to be ordered by DM during July at a cost of £112.80 – (see 039.2/20)

 

DM

 

 

 

021.1/20

One Somerset – actions complete

 

 

 

 

023.2/20

Unpresented cheques – Postlebury PCC – Clerk has voided cheques and will await a repeat invoice - ongoing

 

Clerk

 

 

 

026.1/20

Coronavirus –  action complete

 

 

 

 

028.3.1/20

Abandoned vehicle at Park Hayes – dealt with by MC - complete

 

 

 

 

028.3.2/20

Park Hayes – muddy corner – views required on possibility of widening the corner and road where possible - ongoing 

 

ALL

 

 

 

031.3/20

Model Code of Conduct Consultation – DM had reviewed this and the decision was made to leave our own policy as it is - complete. 

 

 

 

 

031.5/20

Giant Hogweed – letter has been sent to the tenants of the field - complete

 

 

 

 

037/20

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

037.1./20

District Council (AT)

 

 

 

 

 

·               Finance – overspend for 2019/20 of £95k is expected which can be funded through reserves.  For 2020/21 a forecast of £4.7m overspend is forecast with some £1.85m spent on Covid

 

 

·               Local Plan – the Local Plan single review is to be submitted in Sep 2023.  A further hearing by the Inspector is planned in Sep 2020 on Local Plan Part 2 to review the allocation of 505 houses in the north east of the District.

 

 

·               Social Housing – it is planned to provide new affordable greener homes to rent and funding was allocated to examine Mendip owned sites

 

 

·               Weed Management Plan – the policy to ban glyphosate is not providing easy to implement as it is the cheapest most effective solution.  Alternatives are being sought.

 

 

·               Electric Vehicle Charging Points – feasibility studies are to be carried out by potential suppliers to meet initial plans for four across Mendip.  A wider County strategy is expected in September. 

 

 

·               Parish Liaison – a new head is being funded to work closely with Town and Parish Councils to identify ways to work together to address local needs and to help deliver on objectives.

 

 

038/20

PLANNING – Current Applications

 

 

 

 

038.1/20

2020/0921/FUL – Leigh-on-Mendip County First School – extension and refurbishment of existing building, replacement of external cladding and upgrade of flat roof to improve thermal performance and provision of new canopy – approved

 

 

 

 

038.2/20

2020/0885/HSE Two storey side extension and rear conservatory at 19 Bellfield, Leigh-on-Mendip.  Recommended for approval at Extraordinary meeting held on 26 May.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

038.3/20

2020/0761/FUL – Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill – conversion of existing building to provide annexed accommodation.  The Council recommendation was to leave to planning officer.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

038.4/20

2020/0758/FUL – Erection of new livestock building at Grove Shute Farm.  Parish Council recommended refusal.  Currently pending

 

 

 

 

038.5/20

2020/0721/OTS – Application for outline planning permission with some matters reserved for the erection of three dwellings with details of access at Corner Cottage.  Parish Council recommended refusal.  No objection but some conditions. Currently pending

 

 

 

 

038.6/20

2020/0082/HSE and 2020/0083/LBC Renovation, both for the repair and associated works. - Prescott Leigh Street Leigh on Mendip Radstock BA3 5QQ.  Currently pending.

 

 

 

 

038.7/20

Other Planning Issues

 

 

 

 

038.7.1/20

Strip of MDC land at Apple Meadow View – the MDC independent review of the situation was due to report by 30 June now rescheduled to 31 July

 

 

 

 

038.7.2/20

Land to rear of Ivy Cottage – proposed development of 40 houses

 

 

 

 

038.7.3/20

LP joined the meeting for this item

 

 

 

 

038.7.4/20

An email from the developer’s consultant had just been received seeking Parish Council feedback on the proposed layout of the 40 house development within two weeks.  Previously the developer and consultant had agreed to seek such feedback at a public consultation; the Council expressed disappointment that the developer was proceeding without public consultation.  The Council agreed that despite the problems of organising a public consultation at this time, they would be willing to work with the consultant to facilitate it.  The Council also agreed that two weeks was insufficient time to derive a representative view from parishioners, particularly during the holiday period

 

 

 

 

038.7.5/20

 The following actions were agreed:

 

 

 

 

 

·                   DM to draft a response to the consultant for Councillors review and subsequent despatch.

 

DM

 

·                   The following to be informed, Quarry (DS), Chair of Governors (DM), The Old Vicarage (DM), Sugar Bush Cottage (DM or PF), Chairs of Recreation Field and Memorial Hall (DM).  Other village organisations to be informed as required.

 

 

 

DM/DS/PF

 

·                   DM to draft an article for the village Facebook, Website and Noticeboards circulate for comment.

 

DM

 

 

 

039/20

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

039.1/20

Financial Statement as at 20.07.20 – the financial statement as at 20.07.20 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

 

039.2/20

Cheques agreed and raised: Mrs A Brooks – Clerk’s Salary for June and July, £442.40, SALC affiliation fee £151.06, Defibrillator Padpack £112.80.  Grass cutting (Idverde) – invoice inaccuracies to be resolved and cheque then issued. (Cheque for £297.42 for April, May and June subsequently sent).

 

 

 

 

039.3/20

Internal Auditor – it was agreed to send the internal auditor a cheque for £50 with thanks for the work he has done

 

Clerk

 

 

 

039.4/20

AGAR (Audit) Progress - complete

 

 

 

 

040/20

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

040.1/20

Yew Trees – a report is still awaited from MDC which was due by 30 June. 

 

040.2/20

Hedge Cutting – Clerk to chase quotes from Idverde for trimming the hedge around the cemetery and a radical cut in the autumn. A hedge trim is also needed around the SE corner of the Graveyard adjacent to the school, which the Rangers may be able to do.

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

041/20

OPEN SPACE PROJECT

 

 

 

 

041.1/20

Leases – no further progress.  The drafts are still with Towler Brown.  DM will chase again.

 

DM

 

 

 

042/20

CORONAVIRUS

 

 

 

 

042.1/20

Further briefings received from MDC and SCC.

 

 

 

 

043/20

HEALTH AND SAFETY

 

 

 

 

043.1/20

No issues to report.

 

 

 

 

044/20

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

044.1/20

PCSO (DS) – a Beat Surgery was held online on 18 June.  No actions required currently.

 

 

 

 

044.2/20

Footpaths / Rangers (DS) – the Rangers will reconvene, following guidelines. Requests received to trim overhanging foliage on the pavement to Barn Close and by Sparks Field. DS reported that the signpost at the bottom of Whitehole Hill needs a paint – work is planned.

 

 

 

 

 

044.3/20

Highways (MC) - Gutters will be cleaned out on 29 July.  VGT reported a lorry being left in Park Hayes overnight.  It was agreed to discuss this further at the next meeting if it is not moved

 

 

 

 

044.4/20

Whitehole Hill – the issue of heavy lorries using the Hill was discussed.  It was agreed to discuss with AT / PH the idea of negotiating with the companies to use the Beacon Crossroads and the Old Wells Road, noting  that the quarry lorries already use this route. 

 

 

 

AT/PH

 

 

 

044.5/20

Recreation Field VGT) – A way of consulting with the village is being considered with a view to obtaining suggestions for the use of the rest of the land.  Frank Higgins very kindly continues grass cutting MDC areas.

 

 

 

 

044.6/20

Memorial Hall (VGT) – information on reopening the Hall has been obtained.  However, priority has been given to the school to use the Hall for classes should the new classroom be delayed. 

 

 

 

 

044.7/20

School (MC) – the school is currently closed for the Summer.  Construction begins on 20 July and work is scheduled to last eight weeks which may impact on reopening (see Memorial Hall above for solution).

 

 

 

 

044.8/20

SALC (Clerk) – Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

044.9/20

Quarry (DS) – there was an incident of vandalism on the perimeter footpath and DS will speak to the Quarry about this.  DS reported that the Quarry agreed to inform him in advance when blasting areas where enhanced shocks are anticipated. DS will arrange a post on Facebook.

 

 

 

 

044.10/20

Allotment Association (VGT) – there has been an issue with the bare root hedging where some has died.  Infill will be provided.

 

 

 

 

044.11/20

Facebook and Website – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

044.12/20

One Somerset – the business case has been released.  It was agreed to keep the issue on the agenda. 

 

 

 

 

045/20

POINTS FROM THE PARISH BULLETIN: Nothing to report

 

 

 

 

046/20

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED: none reported

 

 

 

 

046/20

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

046.1/20

The Clerk reported that she is receiving regular Coronavirus updates and bulletins from SCC and MDC which she is distributing as required.

 

 

 

 

046.2/20

Cycleway – CC had sent an email with information that he had received 22 offers support and five offers of help.  DM to inform CC that the Council are supportive of the project and thank him for the work to date. 

 

 

DM

 

046.3/20

Park Hayes – a large garage has been built alongside one of the properties on Park Hayes, which has given rise to complaints.  The MDC Enforcement Officer is aware of the situation.

 

 

 

 

047/20

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

047.1/20

Monday 21 September 2020 at 7.00 p.m. on line