MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 7 MARCH 1988 IN THE MEMORIAL HALL Present were B Chubb, J Davis, A Gould, G Lee, P Rooke, D Turner and D Yelland who took the Chair. About 25 parishioners and Mr Targett of Camelot Homes were in attendance. 1. APOLOGIES - none. 2. The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted and signed. 3. MATTERS ARISING Acknowledgements had been received to letters about blocked drains & Access to Health Care. 4. PLANNING APPLICATIONS. Notification had been received that the Planning Application for land at Bellfield had been turned down and that the Application for Site B Park Hayes by the Royal British Legion had been allowed. RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT AND FORMATION OF NEW ACCESS - LAND ADJACENT TO MANOR FARM. The outline plans submitted by Camelot Homes were circulated and Mr Targett stated that research by his company had shown that the area needed larger homes in the £150,000 plus range and accordingly permission was being sought to build 10 4 bedroomed properties on the approximately 1.9 acre site. Comments were invited from the floor. Concern was expressed as to the siting of the access road and its proximity to that of the Recreation Ground. The amount of development in a short space of time in the village was felt to be excessive although Miss Chubb pointed out that Parishioners might have to resign themselves to some sort of development on this site as it was in the Frome Local Plan. She felt that any development ought to contribute to the village by, for example bringing in young, first time buyers. Mr Turner felt that as the area was on the Frome Plan building was bound to occur but querried whether it could be delayed until the new growth that had already occurred was assimilated. A member of the public expressed concern at the overloading of essential services like water, electricity and sewage. Proximity to the Recreation Ground and danger to property from flying missiles was noted and Mr Yelland suggested that a request be made for a suitable fence to be errected behind the Club House to minimise this. Mr Targett said that it was his companies intention to get the estate road adopted and it was asked if a lay by could be provided for additional parking. Mr Yelland drew attention to the height of the field above the road and asked if it was proposed to lower it before building as residents opposite were concerned about their privacy. Mr Targett agreed that the level could be considered. At the end of the public part of the meeting the views of the Councillors as to the proposal were canvassed. A majority felt that development ought to be delayed and it was unanimously agreed that when development occured it ought to be in the form of a mixture of houses. It was decided to reply to the application along the lines discussed and also to request provision of garaging for other residents of the area. 5. SCHOOL GOVERNORS Miss Chubb agreed to be nominated as a School Governor. She stated that at the recent Governors Meeting she attended the revision of the curriculum had been discussed and was being prepared. 6. HIGHWAYS Drains near the Waterworks were still causing concern and a letter would be sent to the Council. Also the ditch at Lime Kiln Lane was blocked. Erosion of the verges and the demolition of some of the fence by large vehicles trying to negotiate Soho Crossroads was discussed - a letter will be sent to Mr Burkitt. 7. FOOTPATHS If repairs to the pavements in Park Hayes have not yet been carried out a letter will be sent to the Council. 8. HALECOMBE QUARRY Nothing to report. 9. FINANCE The Clerk presented a claim for salary to the end of March of £154.16 and expenses of £11.65. Mr Turner proposed payment and Mr Gould seconded. Mr Yelland stated that Mendip had added approximately £400 to the Precept requested by the PC to pay election expenses. He querried why the product of the Penny Rate appeared to have decreased - illumination will be sought. If this were the case the clerk's new salary was slightly in excess of the national formula. It was however agreed to ratify the salary and adjust it back to the formula in future years. 10. AGM It had been realised that the date set for the AGM was a Bank Holiday Mr Gould proposed changing it to 23 May and Mr Rooke seconded. 11. CORRESPONDENCE A notification of the Change of Licence for sale of liquor at the Post Office had been received. It has been granted. A notification of a meeting of the Quarry Advisory Committee was given to Mr Davis. A letter concerning STREET SWEEPING IN RURAL AREAS was read out It was agreed that the village streets needed sweeping and Mr Turner suggested that we apply for a grant as requested. It was agreed that this PC had never considered this question before but would like to see the village cleaner. A letter had been received from the County Emergency Planning Officer along with copies of the "Civil Protection" magazine. Information was also requested by the District Council as to the current entries that affect the Parish in the District Plan for Major Peacetime Emergencies. Mr Yelland drew attention to the fact that Leigh does not have a place of refuge within its boundaries. He and the clerk will undertake the requested updating PARISH TRANSPORT CONTACTS preferably a public transport user had been requested to be named to County Hall. A notice will be included in the newsletter asking for a volunteer who is on the phone and who uses public transport. CONCESSIONARY BUS PASS SCHEME information from Mendip had been displayed on the noticeboard at The Bell. The Memorial Hall Committee had contacted the Charity Commission to check that the Hall was registered. A reply confirmed the registration but stated that no accounts had been forthcoming for some time. Mr Featherstone suggested that the Parish Clerk became the Charities correspondent and send a copy of the latest accounts as requested. This was agreed. Minutes of S CC meeting of 25 November 1987 had been received along with a Report of the Policy and Resources Committee Meetings of the 8 January and 4 February 1988. 12. No items to be carried forward. 13. Next meeting will be Monday 18 April at 7.45 in the School.
Back to list of meetings