MINUTES OF LEIGH-UPON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON MONDAY 14 AUGUST 1989. In attendance were J Davis, A Gould, D Turner and D Yelland. Apologies were received from P Rooke (Parish Councillor) & R Hewett (District Councillor). Mr Yelland, Chairman, opened the meeting by welcoming the two new councillors Mrs H Park and Mr D Pattison who each signed a Declaration of Acceptance. Mr Yelland explained that three people had been nominated for the two vacancies of the Parish Council but Mrs Mawdsley had stood down to save the Parish the expense of a contested election. When she had informed him of her decision Mrs Mawdsley had stated her continuing interest in Parish affairs & her intention of standing in the next election. The Minutes of the last PC Meeting were accepted & signed. MATTERS ARISING Mr Underwood of Tarmac Roadstone had contacted the Clerk after a visit to Whitehole Quarry asking if a Councillor would be willing to meet him at the site and show him what the Council wished done to clear the area. Mr Turner offered to liase. Mr Gould suggested that a green lane at the top of the hill be blocked to prevent cars driving along it to tip rubbish. The question of 'suitable building materials' within the village was discussed Mr Pattison was concerned that MDC had no planning guidelines and suggested that the PC write urging them to adopt some guidelines, it was agreed to do so. The Clerk had received a letter from MDC listing the 'Listed Buildings' in the village. These are Great House Farm house, dairy and wall; the Old Vicarage; The Church & various features in the graveyard; Leoglen; Mr West's House (adjacent to the Old Chapel); Honeysuckle Cottage; The Bell Inn; Sparks Farm house; Rookery Farm house; and Oak Cottage. Mr Yelland thought that the school ought to be included in the list. The letter also contained information about the implications of becoming a conservation area & informed the Council that Leigh had been considered at one stage but had been rejected. The letter will be circulated. It was noted that the Hall floor had been sanded and varnished and that the bill had been presented. Somerset Structure Plan Draft Proposals - Comments had been sent to SCC and acknowledged. In the reply it was stated that Leigh was within the Special Landscape Area. Halecombe Quarry Liason Committee - In a reply from SCC Minerals Officer it is suggested that the committee be made up of Parish, District & County Councillors, the Minerals Officer and representatives from the District Council's Planning & Environmental Health Departments. Meetings would be held in private but minutes would be available to the public. Councillors agreed to this and the Clerk will write expressing the PC's support and desire to sent two representatives. A check will be made to see if the hedges on the road near Long Cottage have been trimmed. ALLOCATION OF DUTIES - School Governors. Mr Yelland explained that as a Minor Local Authority the PC had the right to suggest the name of a councillor who then became a co-opted governor and retained that position until they resigned from the board of governors. Miss Chubb was the Parish Council's choice and desired to retain the position for the time being. Mr Turner suggested that she ought to be asked to report to the PC on any meetings, it was agreed that she be asked to do so and also to inform the PC as soon as she decided to resign so that they could nominate another councillor to take her place. RECREATION FIELD MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE REPRESENTATIVE - as Mr Gould was already on this committee he agreed to represent the PC and resigned as Hall Committee Rep. Mrs Park agreed to become Hall Committee Rep. SPECIAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR FOOTPATHS - Mr Pattison. WYVERN WAY - Mr Davis had walked the proposed link route and found some stiles wired and the path badly signed. It was proposed that a Parish Walk take place leaving the Recreation Field at 7pm on Friday 19 August and walk the route to Ham Farm making a schedule of work as they go and perhaps errecting footpath signs. PLANNING - Permission had been granted to construct a two storey rear extension to the Cottage adjacent to the Old Chapel House (the cottage is a listed building). The application to provide car parking spaces outside LAVENDER COTTAGES had been withdrawn. (As this work appears to have been done the Clerk will investigate further.) Permission had been given for the erection of a further 5 houses at MANOR FARM as amended by letter and drawings. Permission was refused for the building of a dwelling on part plot 2134 PITTEN STREET, TOWNSEND. Change of use for TOWNSEND FILLING STATION to a Monumental Masons Workshop with Yard & Offices was conditionally approved. A planning application by LJH to reroof their Workshop & build a small extension had been received & was discussed. Mr Yelland will visit the site. HALECOMBE QUARRY - At the instigation of Mr Davis the Clerk had been trying to find out about an application to dig a Sump, lodged with Mendip DC. She was still waiting to hear from Mrs Wilson, of the Planning Department, who was dealing with this matter & who had been unable to find any details. She will pursue the matter. A copy of a letter from the Quarry Manager to Mr Evans, SCC Minerals Officer, informing him of the disturbance to the footpath caused by work on the construction of the environmental bank behind Wimpey Hobbs offices was welcomed and Mr Yelland agreed to respond on behalf of the PC and ask that in future such letters be sent to the Clerk. No information on GIN TRAPS being to hand this matter will be discussed at the next meeting. Mr Yelland proposed the circulation of a VILLAGE NEWSLETTER and agreed that he and the Clerk would try to produce a rough draft for consideration by Councillors at the next meeting. CORRESPONDENCE - A letter had been received from Mr A H Barrett of MDC Planning & Amenities Department concerning PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE. It asked which Parishes would be interested in paying a fee to use the services of a specialist team to inspect & maintain Playground Equipment. It was agreed that the Clerk would discuss the matter with Mr Lee, Chairman of the RFMC and respond to the letter accordingly. MINUTES OF SCC MEETING on 2 AUGUST 1989 were available. Information had been received concerning the SOCIETY OF LOCAL COUNCILS AGM in Blackpool. THATCH & an Agenda for SALC's 7 October Meeting were given to Mr Turner. A document concerning OFF STREET PARKING in FROME, WELLS & SHEPTON was available. ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING - Neighbourhood Watch, Council for Voluntary Services, Gin Traps, News Letter. NEXT MEETING - 11 September at 7.30 pm in the School.
Back to list of meetings