MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 3 DECEMBER 1990 IN LEIGH SCHOOL. Councillors present were J Davis, Mrs H Park, D Pattison, P Rooke D Turner and D Yelland who chaired the meeting. Apologies were received from Mr A Gould who would be late. Mr Yelland welcomed parishioners and Mr Langridge from SCC Highways Department and Mr Merrick, SC Councillor. Minutes of the last Meeting - Mr Merrick had requested that page 2 item headed "Rising Fives" be altered to read... 'by removing summer born rising fives from staffing calculations about one million pounds could be saved from the current budget of five point one million pounds.' This was agreed to and the Minutes were ammended accordingly and signed. TRAFFIC & ROADS Mr Langridge had come to the meeting to discuss with Councillors their concerns for the roads in Leigh area. Speed Limit - discussion had occured earlier in the year about the possibility of including Towns End in the 30mph zone. Mr Langridge said that the Police, who enforced the law, were reluctant to see a speed limit in a non built up area. The following alternatives for Towns End, where the road narrows,were suggested: 1) the painting of SLOW on the road or 2) the errection of a sign indicating the Narrowing of the road or 3)the extension of the 30mph zone. Mr Yelland suggested if the latter was allowed it may lead to building infilling between the Goulds Farm & Towns End. He asked Councillors which of the 3 options they would favour, a concensus agreed that attention ought to be drawn to the hazard rather than extending the 30mph zone. Mr Langridge will look at the alternatives & report back. Weight Restrictions - A traffic census on 17 October 1990 from 0600 to 1900h had counted 24 HGV, 16 of which were quarry lorries. In a 12 hour period in March 32 HGVs had been counted. Parishioners said that it was the empty lorries that travelled through the village at 0400h that caused the most complaints & it was suggested that the survey start earlier, Mr Langridge suggested that after identification the culprits be approached personally. Mr Pattison asked if cost was a factor in not imposing Weight Restrictions on Leigh Street - Mr Langridge estimated the cost at £7-800. To the suggestion that the village might be willing to finance this Mr Langridge said it would set a precident. Mr Yelland felt that early morning traffic had decreased since Stone Supplies in Stoke St Michael had changed the nature of their business. Mr Langridge said that the County Council were looking at a night-time and weekend ban on the movement of HGVs which perhaps in time would be extended to the whole country. It was suggested from the floor that the PC back the nigh-time ban. The fine for defying a weight restriction is cumulative. Concern was expressed at the effect the possible re-opening of Stoke Lane Quarry might have on HGV traffic through Leigh. Mr Langridge said that at the meeting on 6/12/90 his department would be recommending to SCC that all vehicles from this quarry be routed through Stoke, this would also protect Tadhill & Dark Lanes. He said that if any vehicles were observed contravening this their number ought to be noted & the Police informed. Mr Merrick suggested that proper sign posting for Halecombe Quarry might help the problem. Mr Yelland said that there were certain imponderables - 1) what will happen at Stoke Lane Quarry, 2) will the left turn restriction work, 3) signing to Halecombe & 4) was the nuisance still there. He suggested ascertaining if the problem still existed & defering the matter to the next meeting when the future of Stoke Lane Quarry would be known, all agreed. Lorry Routings in the Whole Area - A consultation document was to be circulated soon on this problem but Mr Langridge was able to show a map of the immediate area. Because of an upsurge in traffic at Great Elm as shown in recent counts, pressure was being exerted to put a total ban on the road immediately west of Murtry Cross but re-routing the traffic through West Down would increase traffic through Chantry & Little Green. The fact that it was better to spread the flow of HGV between a number of routes was discussed and the construction of the Bulls Green Link (BGL)road was mooted. Mr Turner was worried that its construction would encourage more people to use the Old Wells Road which would affect this parish & asked if the narrowness of the County Route at Chantry was making the BGL a more attractive proposition. ( A Gould arrived.) Mr Davis asked what optimum width a quarry route should be & upon hearing that the CC recommended 7.3metres he asked why the BGL was only to be 6.3metres, the County appeared to be constructing a road to fit in with the amount of money available from Wimpey Hobbs rather than one of suitable width for HGV traffic. Mr Langridge said that a running strip of 1 metre either side might be included, projected flows for the next 15 years would be considered when the road was designed. Mr Turner said the matter would be discussed in the review of the Somerset Structure Plan in January but he felt that the naming of the road the Bulls Green Link pre-empted the route. A letter from Mr B Dyer concerning HGVs on small roads was acknowledged. Mr Merrick asked if Councillors wanted to discuss Halecombe signing but this opportunity was declined. However concern was expressed that the sign at Downhead Crossroad still had not been put up despite many letters from the Clerk, Mr Langridge offered to look into the matter. Mr Yelland thanked him for attending the meeting and answering questions. (P Rooke left). MATTERS ARISING Village Future - a letter from the Community Council for Somerset including minutes of a meeting on Village Appraisals had been received, this was pertinent to Village Housing latter on the Agenda but it was suggested it should be filed until after the April elections - all agreed to this. A letter would be sent to the RFMC concerning the grant. (CLERK) Mr Merrick relying on memory thought the Education Committee were going to recommend no change in counties Special Needs provision & September & January entry for the Rising 5's. He was asked if he could be relied on to get all 27 of the proposed Cluster teachers appointed, to date only 22 appointed, & failing this to see that L-O-M school did not suffer because of the shortfall. Mr Davis asked Mr Merrick if he knew the level of compensation necessary to stop Stoke Lane Quarry reopening, he did not. It was suggested that as much of the community charge was spent on correcting past mistakes to roads, schools etc some could be allocated to quarrying errors. Mr Turner had attended the Structure Plan Meeting - the examination would take place over two weeks in January, Leigh was entitled to speak on roads & minerals. Details of representation would be worked out later. Thanks had been received for the donation to NALC. It was agreed to include PC meeting report in the parish magazine no matter how out of date it might be. QUARRIES Torr Works - no reply to Envir. Health Letter. (CLERK) Halecombe - Letter had been sent to Wimpey Hobbs concerning blasting noise on 16 November following querries, in the reply only noise level had been given not ground vibration levels, these will be requested. A crack in the church structure was felt to suggest that the company be asked to measure vibration levels near the church. (CLERK) What was happening regarding Rookery Farm? Clerk will contact MDC. (CLERK) FINANCE Appropriate provisions must be made within the Precept for the cost of elections. Mr Yelland suggested it be raised to £2,000, this would still allow, after expenses about £1,000 for grants etc. Mr Turner proposed £1900, Mr Davis seconded, all agreed. B Tel Grant - Cheque for '50 for Notice Boards at the Memorial Hall had been received, a cheque was made out to be passed on. B Tel Watch Box - sheque for £5 to Mrs S Lee signed. Somerset '90's Scout Appeal - no-one propsed a contribution. SALC MEETING - 27 NOVEMBER - D Pattison reported. Training days will be held on 13 July, 14 Sept & 23 Nov 1991, Clerks & Councillors can attend. The AGM on 5 Oct will have a training session. Planning Site Meetings - some Districts were not allowing Parish Councillors to speak even if the Chairman of the site committee wanted them to. It had been suggested that PC's write to the District Council about this - all agreed. (CLERK) A Minerals development Plan, Recycling Report & a NRA report concerning water in the Mendips were due soon. The SALC supported slowing the rate of quarrying down. A representative for the Mendip Council for Voluntary Services was needed. The commitment was for 3/4 meetings a year - details will be circulated. There was a newly revamped Police Liaison Committee & a newly published Mendip District Council Handbook. Mr Pattison suggested that LUMP might like to apply for a Village Venture Grant - the form will be passed on. Next meeting 5 March 1991 in Frome & then if the Hall was available L-O-M would host the 4 June meeting (hall charged at the rate of £5 per hour.) HOUSING Midshires Homes had identified a piece of land at Park Hayes outside the 'blue line' that they would like to use. They would conduct a survey in the names of themselves & the PC to ascertain need. Councillors felt that more information was needed on the company & the Clerk was asked to consult SALC & MDC. (CLERK) Mr Merrick left. PLANNING Details of permissions for Tweed Farm Workshop & Shermoyne had been received. The extent of permission at Pittern House will be looked into. Angels Coombs will be contacted about damage to the Weslyan Chapel. (CLERK) A complaint about signs advertising the new houses will be looked into. (CLERK) ROADS News of Highway Maintenance Budget Cuts had been received. Attention was drawn to the following problems on roads in the area:- 1) Give Way sign at Park Corner missing, 2) Direction Indicator at Whitehole Hill missing. 3) Drainage problem at Rec Field - water collects on the road. (CLERK) CORRESPONDENCE Watch the Box Grant Forms available. Bus Timetable available. Twinning Notes to be circulated. Parish Emergency Committee defered to next meeting. Charity leaflet to be circulated. NEXT MEETING 14 JANUARY 1991, 7.30 IN THE SCHOOL. 15 December 1990.
Back to list of meetings