MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 2 NOVEMBER 1992 IB THE SCHOOL. Councillors present were J Davis, H Mawdsley, H Park, D Turner and D Pattison, Chairman. Apologies were accepted from A Gould. It was agreed to alter the agenda order as A Merrick(AM), County Councillor, had to leave early. Items discussed with Mr Merrick were as follows: AM told councillors that the exhibition and meeting about the Bulls Green Link road would most probably occur in December in the Hall. [R Dixon arrived]. IDO decisions to date that affected Leigh were Whitehole, refused, Barnclose, Halecombe and Tadhill allowed. AM quoted from Mineral Planning Note 8 for benefit of Councillors - before restart a dormant quarry must submit a scheme of working and restoration. It was agreed to write initially to SCC (then DOE) for proceedure if a dormant quarry re-opened. (CLERK) R Dixon wanted to object to SCC on their handling of the IDO permission. Councillors agreed that as 4 of the 34 IDO applications were in Leigh Parish we might be the worst hit in GB and should request the use of the '81 minerals powers locally. MDC chief planning officer will be invited to meet the PC.(CLERK) cc R Hewitt, District Councillor. Holwell Expansion - It was agreed to object on grounds of traffic which may be directed via the BGL[see 2.3.11BGLEnvirStat] (CLERK) Soil stripping at Temple House Farm, Long Cross area was mentioned and it was agreed for investigations to be made.(CLERK) MINUTES OF LAST MEETING were ammended - Quarries line 6 'he thought' inserted after 'that'. They were accepted and signed. MATTERS ARISING Letter dated 28/09 from SCC concerning Halecombe Quarry - agreed concerns about Rookery Farm and banking valid but did not allay councillors fears. Agreed to write to HQ manager. (CLERK) BGL see earlier information. LJH -Letter from R Knott MDC, original banking in area covered by HGV park. Complaint received that heavy machinery parked on employees car park, MDC will be told. (CLERK) FOOTPATH OBSTRUCTION, WHITEHOLE HILL - DT will make fence useable with the farmer's permission. (DT) EXAMINER HOUSE - Complaint from parishioner that the owner had harassed her over parking, she was awaiting police visit. It was agreed to write to house owner asking him to remove the metal angle-iron from the gutter. (CLERK) METHODIST CHAPEL - The Clerk had written to the vendor of the property but received no reply. POPPY ORGANISER appears to have been dealt with. TREE IN BELLFIELD - SCC will be informed as on their land. (CLERK) RESPONSE TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT RE-ORGANISATION - SALC meeting attended by RD, HM, DP & Clerk. It was agreed that DP will formulate a response & discuss with other councillors. (DP) PLANNING - ERECTION OF TWO STOREY REAR EXTENSION, BELL INN. No objection, location of 2 parking spaces will be querried. (CLERK) Alteration to FERN COTTAGE EXTENSION plan received and agreed. LEIGH SERVICE STATION - House extension permission received. Letter from MDC said 8 small dwellings on workshop site had not been classed as a low cost scheme.(Copy to P Rooke) PERMANENT PERMISSION FOR STONE MASONS YARD permission arrived. BGL - Copy of letter from SCC to MDC received stating that SCC are committed to the East Mendip Quarry Traffic Strategy and have government approval. FINANCE - VAT return of £267.53 claimed. BURIAL GRANT payment requested. The grant to the Bellringers was exceeded by £16.78. The PCC treasurer had agreed that this be deducted from the Burial Grant so a cheque for £112.22 was made out. A cheque for £49.51 was made out to pay for paint for the RINGERS. AUDIT FEE - Bill for £64.63 received from Ernst & Young. D Turner proposed payment, H Mawdsley seconded, all agreed. SUBSCRIPTION TO COMMUNITY COUNCIL FOR SOMERSET due. D Turner proposed £10, R Dixon seconded all agreed. CLERKS SALARY & EXPENSES - Salary for 1 April to 30 September of £190 + expenses of £80.30 claimed for 1 April to 30 October it was proposed to grant £20 for phone calls not the £10 claimed and DP proposed paying £280.30, DT seconded and all agreed. PRECEPT - After discussion of next years expenses it was proposed by RD and seconded by DT that a precept of £1800 be requested for the financial year starting 1 April 1993. ROADS AND FOOTPATHS - The clerk had received a verbal complaint about the lorry which uses Leigh Street early in the mornings. A letter will be sent. (DT & CLERK) Complaints that the Footpath is obstructed just after it crosses the river on leaving M Young's land had been received. The land owner will be visited. (CLERK) JD had put in 2 new stiles from a delivery of 6. Request for white line at junction of Knapp Hill & Hollybush lane following two accidents. Also concern at disappearance of old, cast iron, finger posts was expressed. (CLERK) RE-ALLOCATION OF DUTIES - H Mawdsley had volunteered to write reports on meetings for the local paper. The motion was proposed by R Dixon & seconded by D Pattison all agreed. SALC Representative - H Mawdsley. CORRESPONDENCE - Letter from WI concerning general state of the village. Approaches will be made to known offenders. Possible re-siting of large bin outside the Bell discussed. (CLERK & JD) HP had seen a notice in Wells Library concerning the future siting of re-cycling bins in the Bell Inn Car Park was this true? Enlightenment will be requested. (CLERK) MENDIP CODE OF PRACTICE ON PLANNING MEETING - 25 November 7.00 in St Johns Church Hall, Frome. NEIGHBOUR NOTIFICATION CODE OF PRACTICE received & Circulated. Reference from Coleford Parish Council as Clerk had applied for a job with them requested. DP had complied. DATE OF NEXT MEETING - 7 December, 7.30 School.
Back to list of meetings