MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING OF 18/01/93.

Councillors present were J Davis, R Dixon, H Mawdsley, H Park and 
D  Pattison,  Chairman.   A Gould and  D  Turner  arrived  during 
Matters Arising.

MATTERS ARISING
From Meeting 7/12/92:
It  was  proposed by RD and seconded by HM amd agreed by  all  to 
purchase MPG7 & 8 if cost did not exceed 15.
MR HOOPER will be invited for a meeting on 15 February 1993.
HOLWELL EXPANSION letter in draft.                           (RD)
ROOKERY FARM - MDC will be given a little longer to reply. (CLERK)
LJH PARKING -  The PC will keep MDC informed.           (RD CLERK)
MEMORIAL IN EBENEZER CHAPEL - Clerk in contact with buyer. (CLERK)
HGV TRAFFIC - acknowledgement from Police.
SIGN POSTS - SCC reply, trying to keep old signs if possible.
Contact  Ruth Allen, Environmental Initiatives Officer MDC  about 
RE-CYCLING BINS as no reply to date.                      (CLERK)         
EXAMINER HOUSE - further application expected MDC will inform PC.
Agreed to write to owner asking for removal of angle iron.(CLERK)
CPRE joined.
RELATE donation acknowledged.
SPARKS  FARM FIELD - Meeting to be fixed up with  ARC  concerning 
Recreation  Field  it was agreed that AG and DT would  attend  on 
behalf of the PC and raise Sparks Farm field issue.     (AG & DT)
The Minutes were accepted as a true record and signed.
MEETING 21/12/92:
All action had been taken.  Minutes were accepted & signed.

FINANCE
HALL UPDATE - work had started that day on the toilets. A  letter 
from  Mrs Loten (Treasurer) stated that payment was  expected  in 
three installments.  DP moved that the PC pay bills as  presented 
subject to the condition that only work already done be paid for.  
RD seconded and all agreed.
VILLAGE  CIRCULAR  - bill for paper for 5.93 from  RD.   Payment 
proposed by DT, seconded by DP, all agreed.  Cheque written.
Delivery payment of 5 to N Pattison proposed by RD, seconded  by 
DT all agreed.  Cheque made out.
FILING  CABINET  - the Clerk proposed the purchase  of  a  filing 
cabinet. RD proposed limit of 70, DT seconded, agreed.   (CLERK) 

VILLAGE SURVEY
RD  reported that reminders had been sent to  non-responders  and 
proposed  that the survey be closed at the next but one  meeting.  
All agreed.  Villagers will be asked to return forms promptly.

ROADS AND FOOTPATHS
HP  had  had  complaints  about  hedge  trimming  on  Knapp  Hill 
road.  Farmer will be approached.                            (JD)
Also mud on Doors Hill. Farmer will  be  approached.      (CLERK)
SCC  will be informed of : 1) Danger of loose gravel  on  Vobster 
Hill.   2) Cross Road sign at Towns End has disappeared.  And  be 
reiminded about  1) Knapp Hill white lines.  2) State of footpath 
to  WH  offices.   3) Drain opposite  resevoir  overflowing.    
4) Blackers Lane drains needing attention.                (CLERK)

PLANNING APPLICATIONS
Conditions attatched to Bell Extension were to hand.

MDC's ATTITUDE TO SUNDAY TRADING was discussed.  DT felt it was a 
waste of poll tax money to prosecute Sunday Traders. HM disagreed.  
It was agreed by a vote to write to MDC urging them to press  the 
government  to  resolve the ambiguities and to  minimise  council 
expenditure on the matter.                                (CLERK)

LJH TANNOY NOISE 
Complaints  had  been  received, to date  all  contact  had  been 
personal it was agreed to write to LJH asking them to address the 
matter.   If  no  action by next meeting Envir.  Health  will  be 
notified.                                                 (CLERK)

CORRESPONDENCE
LEISURE LINKS info will be given to RFMC.                 (CLERK)
NEIGHBOURHOOD  WATCH  SIGNS REQUEST - DT  proposed  purchasing  3 
signs as requested at 15.16 each, DP seconded, agreed.   (CLERK)
AVON & SOMERSET POLICE MEETING  RD will try to go.           (RD)
NEWSLETTER  FROM SW REGIONAL PLANNING CONFERENCE circulated.   RD 
will  see if documents available from library before PC  consider 
purchase.                                                    (RD)
CIVIL DEFENCE magazine.  Mrs B Clarke agreed to become the Parish 
contact.                                                  (CLERK)
Copy  of SUBMISSION TO LOCAL GOVERNMENT COMMISSION from  SCC  was 
circulated.

QUARRY UPDATE
Letter  from  Paula Hewitt, SCC, assuring PC  of  involvement  if 
IDO's re-opened.  On the question of the culvert at Halecombe she 
was  awaiting a report from county engineers.  AM had no  further 
information.  Mr G Williams for WH said the steel pipe had a life 
of  120 years and that a report had been submitted to  the  Mines 
and  Quarrying  Inspectorate on the culvert  in  accordance  with 
Section  9,  a copy will be given to the PC.  It  was  agreed  to 
write to SCC asking for a cessation of work in view of the doubts 
cast pending the engineers report and to ask who would be  liable 
at the end of the day.                                    (CLERK)
AM  informed the PC that WH had submitted a Planning  Application 
asking  for  a temporary variation of clause  that  said  topsoil 
could only be removed when friable to permit soil stripping to be 
carried  out.  MAFF had not objected as the area was very  small.  
Also  request  to divert footpath would be  submitted  soon.   PC 
agreed  to write stating that work should cease until Footpath  & 
Rookery Farm issues were sorted out.
BULLS  GREEN LINK APPLICATION will be heard at MDC offices on  25 
February in the afternoon.
From  floor complaints were made about quarry blasting,  a  diary 
will be kept.
Complaints  about  great  increase in  HGV  traffic  through  the 
village were heard.  A traffic count will be conducted, which Mrs 
Pitter agreed to organise.  The 4am lorry driver details will  be 
sent to the Police.                                    (CLERK)  
DOULTING  BY PASS  agreed to write to SCC concerning  dumping  of 
doulting stone.                                           (CLERK)
APPLICATION FOR STONE CRUSHER AT STOKE ST MICHAEL QUARRY will  be 
opposed.  Copy to Stoke PC.                               (CLERK)

It  was  with  regret  that  the  Parish  Council  accepted   the 
resignation   of  Mrs  H  Park  due  to  family   and   Buisiness 
commitments.  DP thanked her for her past work and for her  offer 
to  liaise  between villagers and the Council in the  future.   A 
Casual Vacancy will be advertised.                        (CLERK)

The NEXT MEETING will be on 15 February at 7.30 in the School.


Back to list of meetings