MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
           HELD ON MONDAY 26 APRIL 1993 IN THE SCHOOL.

Councillors  present  were  J Davis, S  Haywood,  H  Mawdsley,  D 
Pattison (Chairman) and D Turner.
Apologies were accepted from A Gould.

The Minutes of 22 March, 29 March and 14 April were accepted  and 
signed.

MATTERS ARISING - 22 March 1993.
The Clerk will contact Mr Cooke of MDC.                   (CLERK)
Memorial Hall to be contacted about Chapel Memorials.     (CLERK)
Neighbourhood Watch Signs.                           (ML & CLERK)
Churchyard Wall in hand. 
MPG6 letter circulated and agreed on, will be sent.       (CLERK)
29 March 1993
Wire by British Legion House, reply awaited.
14 April 1993
No replies to letters yet.  Invitation to SCC Planning Department 
will be sent with dates of next two meetings.             (CLERK)

VILLAGE APPRAISAL
It was suggested that a volunteer was needed to lead the project.  
Sheila   Pitter,   from   the  floor,  offered   to   compile   a 
questionnaire. 
R Dixon arrived.

PLANNING
Request for information of Buildings at Risk from MDC.    (CLERK)
EXAMINER HOUSE- another planning application had been received  a 
copy  of  the one discussed on 29 March but showing  a  vegetable 
garden.   The Clerk had tried to contact the officer handling  it 
at MDC and was awaiting more information.  It was agreed that the 
same objections applied. DP will show the plan to Leoglen.(CLERK)
PLEVNA  -  drawing  from David  A  Croydon  discussed.   Proposed 
development outside the Envelope and would mean a 10% increase in 
village size.  Decided to discuss with MDC when Frome Local  Plan 
is updated.                                               (CLERK)

HOUSING SURVEY R Dixon.
Survey  closed  with  a 49.7% return.  RD  proposed  producing  a 
summary for councillors and it was agreed to let MDC annalyse the 
results.                                             (RD & CLERK)

FOOTPATHS AND ROADS
Barbed wire fence on FP at Whitehole Hill had been removed. Clerk 
had written requesting stiles on 2 footpaths.
The  reply from SCC that footpath to Wimpey Hobbs  would  receive 
attention  eventually  was not felt to be  adequate,  Clerk  will 
write  again.  Also reminder to be sent about burnt out  car  and 
rubbish at Whitehole Quarry.  A request for a continuation of the 
kerb  stones  past Herbert Dunn House to prevent parking  on  the 
grass verge will be sent.                                 (CLERK)
The  state of the footpath to the Halecombe Brook &  dustbins  on 
the pavement was discussed.                                  (DT)  
A tractor and trailer are needed to remove lorry tyres at Soho(JD)
A complaint was received about mud in Leigh Street.       (CLERK)
Concern was felt that planting maize in the area of the  footpath 
to the south of the quarry might impede walkers, farmers will  be 
contacted.                                                (CLERK)
Ditch at Blackers Lane - farmer will be asked to clear.   (CLERK)
Mr  Whitmarsh will be invited to one of the next two  meeting  to 
talk about traffic calming.                               (CLERK)

FINANCE
Annual Subscription to SALC due.  DT proposd payment, DP seconded 
all agreed.                                               (CLERK)
The final Watch the Box cheque had arrived it was agreed to  pass 
on  the money to Mrs Winks.  It was also decided to ask that  the 
telephone box be painted.                                 (CLERK) 
The  recommended salary for a 'smaller parish clerk' went  up  in 
July  1992 to 1.23 per person on the community charge  register.  
DP  proposed paying the increase from July 1992, RD seconded  all 
agreed.  The Clerk's salary will now be 420 pa.
Mrs Loten had prepared the balance sheets for the PC account  and 
the  PC Hall Fund a/c ready for the AGM.  Copies were handed  out 
to councillors to study.  Mrs Loten was thanked.
A request for funds from the Asham and East Mendip Group will  be 
discussed at a future meeting.

MEETING REPORTS
RD  had  attended  a  meeting  of  the  British  Legion   Housing 
Committee. A policy change means that allocation of housing  will 
be  handled  by  a central committee but bias will  still  be  in 
favour  of  local  applicants.   It was  agreed  that  the  local 
committee  still  had  a purpose and the  PC  would  continue  to 
support  it.   To  apply for a BL flat the  applicant  or  person 
working  on  their behalf should either  - approach  RBL  direct, 
approach the PC or approach MDC.

HALL UPDATE - M Loten.
Waiting for architect to instruct builder to do more  exploratory 
work  on  the  drains.   Grant money  nearly  used  up  but  Hall 
Committee had funds to pay for the extra work.

QUARRY UPDATE
MPG6 letter agreed on.
RD  lodging personal complaint about  Wimpey Hobbs  breaking  the 
conditions  of their planning permission and read out a  list  of 
contraventions.   DT  proposed that the PC ought to  complain  on 
behalf of the parish, all agreed.                         (CLERK)
Two parishioners mentioned hearing a loud bang on Sunday, WH will 
be asked for information.                                 (CLERK)
Complaints  were made about the noise from Torr Works on  the  19 
and 20 April. SCC will be notified.                       (CLERK)
  
CORRESPONDENCE
SOUTH  SOMERSET  DISTRICT  COUNCIL plan for the  future  will  be 
acknowledged and circulated.                              (CLERK)
SOMERSET COUNTY COUNCIL LOCAL GOVERNMENT REVIEW deferred. (CLERK)
NATIONAL MUSIC DAY leaflet give to LUMP.                  (CLERK)
CPRE events - HM will attend first one.                   (CLERK)
ROYAL BATH AND WEST SHOW information received.
SOMERSET FAMILY HEALTH SERVICE AUTHORITY leaflet given to Hall.
SOCIAL SECURITY AGENCY parish magazine request will be  discussed 
with the Vicar,                                           (CLERK)
CRIME  PREVENTION - SCC have money to spend on  crime  prevention 
measures.  Copies of letter will be given to School & Hall.(CLERK)
MDC REFUSE NEWS NOTICE to be displayed.                   (CLERK)
BRISTOL BEAVERS INFO had been sent to each house.
SCC POSTER 'USE YOUR VOTE' for display.                   (CLERK)
VAT COMPLIANCE LETTER taken by DP.
ARC information about COPPICING NORTH OF HOLCOMBE QUARRY,  copies 
will  be sent to Somerset Trust for Nature Conservancy, CPRE  and 
the Asham Group, and the letter will be acknowledged. (CLERK)
SCC MINUTES circulated.

NEXT MEETING
AGM and APM 17 MAY 1993.
Further PC meetings organised for 21 June and 19 July 1993.
















jal28493   


Back to list of meetings