MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARIH COUNCIL MEETING
             HELD ON 21 NOVEMBER 1995 IN THE SCHOOL.

Councillors present were:  H Daniels, R Dixon, J Davis, S Haywood,
M Loten and D Pattison, Chairman.
Apologies were accepted from D Turner.

The Minutes of the last meeting were accepted and signed.
MATTERS  ARISING -  REC FIELD (SH) A firm spring had been put  on 
the  pedestrian gate but RFMC had veteod the idea of a kissing  gate. 
No reply from SCC re signs.                            (CLERK)
RADON - DP to contact Mendip Country Practice.         (CLERK)
ARC - Map of position of hedge sent.
NOTICEBOARD  - (SH)  quote of maximum of 400 for  double  board, 
vandal  proof glass, oak with posts.  A quote for a single  board 
will be obtained.                                      (CLERK)
PAVEMENT PARKING - (ML) car owners spoken to but still parking on 
pavement.   Clerk  will do slips for under wipers, if  no  notice 
taken police will be notified.                        (CLERK & ML)
ADVERT FOR FOOTPATH CLEARER.                           (CLERK)
ROOKERY  FARM  -  reply from P Hewitt  SCC  which  didn't  answer 
questions asked.                                       (CLERK)
FOOTPATH RESPONSIBILITIES - reply from D Hooper MDC.
Thanks for donations from Victim Support & Mendip Helpline.

REPORTS
SALC report by HD on circulation.
SCC  Strategy  Meeting with Jeff Treece DP, ML, JD &  Clerk  wide 
ranging discussion took place.
RFMC  - SH.  Committee worried about surface under swings,  would 
cost  about 1500 + VAT to put in safety matting.   Showers  need 
redoing.  PC thought safety was a higher priority.  RFMC will  be 
advised that they are allocated 400 next year.        (CLERK)

PLANNING
TWO  STOREY  EXTENSION  AT  3  CHURCH  WALK  -  Clerk  phoned  Mr 
Allmendinger  on  27 October 1994 to ask if  discussion  of  this 
matter  could be left until 21 November meeting and  was  advised 
that this was permissable.  On 18 November following rumours that 
the  application had been passed she contacted him again and  was 
told  that  the plan had not been discussed but he  thought  that 
confusion   was   caused  because   approval   was   recommended.  
Notification had been received that the plan had been approved on 
15 November.
HD and DP declared an interest as owners of adjacent properties.
ML took the chair - no objections were raised to the plan but  it 
was  decided because of the contravention by MDC of the  Planning 
Process no comment would be made.                     (CLERK)
DP took the chair. - It was agreed to write to Mr Hooper giving a 
catalogue  of events on the above application including  Mendip's 
lack of consultation with the owner of an adjoining property.  
cc to Mr Jeffs.                                       (CLERK)
GREAT HOUSE FARM - approved
DORMER WINDOWS AT WHITE HOUSE - approved.
HOUSE ON LAND TO REAR OF FERN COTTAGE - turned down.
PRECEPT
DP presented a forecast of PC spending for 1995/96.  The PC  were 
very  conscious  that  they may have to  purchase  ground  for  a 
cemetry.  DP proposed 2,500.  HD seconded and all agreed.(CLERK)
1ST FROME WATERLOO SCOUTS - DT asked the PC to consider a grant to 
the  troop in recognition of their work on footpaths at  Tadhill.  
DP   suggested  25,  SD  seconded.   All  agreed,  cheque   made 
out.                                                    (CLERK) 
RADSTOCK  AND  DISTRICT MUSEUM - appeal for money.   RD  proposed 
15, JD seconded.  All agreed, cheque made out.         (CLERK)
BELL  RINGERS  - bills presented for 56.90 and  2.40.   Cheques 
were made out and it was agreed that all the grant to the ringers 
had now been paid.                                      (CLERK)
CLERKS SALARY - Notification from SALC of a 2% increase from July 
had  been  received.   It  was  agreed  to  pay  the  Clerk   the 
recommended increase.  The Clerk claimed a salary of:
          109.37  for April to June 
       +  111.99 for July to Sept
Total     221.36p       plus expenses for the period May to Sept
   of      59.11
Total     280.47

ML proposed payment, SH seconded, all agreed - cheque made out.           
The Clerk requested permission to purchase a new hole punch and a 
paper guillotine.  DP proposed purchase, ML seconded on a vote  5 
agreed and RD abstained.
Request for money from CPRE - refused.
It  was  agreed that when the Burial Grant arrived  it  would  be 
passed straight on to the Church.

SPEEDING TRAFFIC paper from SCC was discussed.  Councillors would 
like  tougher policing on speeding vehicles, traffic calming  for 
the village and better public transport.               (CLERK)

MDC DRAFT PLAN
Document  circulated,  concern was expressed that  village  would 
need  a critical mass to support shops, school etc  and  pressure 
might  be exerted for growth.  It was agreed to write  supporting 
general aims and objectives.                           (CLERK)

CHURCHYARD EXTENSION UPDATE
Bore  holes had been dug on a possible site, and discussions  are 
taking place.  Wimpey Hobbs and G Perry will be thanked for their 
help and co-operation.                                 (CLERK)

CORRESPONDENCE
Letter from Examiner House had been received.
The  following were ciculated:  SCC Annual Report,  SCC  Minutes, 
MDC  State  of the Environment Report, CPRE  Newsletter,  Charity 
Commission  Info, Housing Strategy Review, CND info,  SALC  Local 
Gov Info.
A poster on Radon had been displayed.
An invite for a WRVS Christmas function was too hand.

NEXT MEETING 19 DECEMBER 1994.


Back to list of meetings