MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
                HELD ON 20 MARCH 1995 AT THE SCHOOL

Councillors  present:  H Daniels, R Dixon, S Haywood, M  Loten  & 
D Pattison.  J Davis & D Turner arrived during the first item.

There being concerned parishioners present Councillors  discussed 
the  proposal  to  construct a back access  to  houses  on  Leigh 
Street.   The PC had visited the site and expressed  their  worry 
that  although it might aleviate the problem on Leigh  Street  it 
could  create  problems in Park Hayes. They were  also  concerned 
about  gaps in support for the plan.  They advised the  proposers 
of  the  plan to consider: 1) putting roadway inside their garden 
wall thus making it inside the village 'envelope'. 2) getting all 
affected  residents to support the scheme. 3)  Site  landscaping. 
4) Approaching the other landowner for access - otherwise  scheme 
a non starter. 5) speaking to the planning authority for advice.
They   commended   the  residents  on  their   initiative.    The 
Parishioners left the meeting.

The  MINUTES of the last meeting were accepted as a  true  record 
and signed.
MATTERS  ARISING - barrier at REC FIELD, current rulings are  for 
it to be 18" from kerb edge to allow for overhang on vehicles.
NRA letter sent.
RADON  (HD)  SALC had approached the NRPB who admitted  they  had 
not,  to date, considered the implication of quarrying on  Radon. 
They agreed to look into this matter.
Mr Lake offered a site meeting about barrier at Barns Close. (ML)
SWEEPING - M Barton will contact PC.
VILLAGE  CLEAN-UP DAY (SH) on April 9 from 10am  onwards  meeting 
point the Hall Car Park.
BOREHOLE - no news.
GRAVEYARD - J Featherstone had spoken to B Hanley (Wimpey) but ML 
thought  the figure given was still not correct and estimated  it 
at 1000.  She will contact Stuart Cave of MDC for help. A formal 
approach will be made to Mr Perry.                (CLERK ML & DP)

FINANCE
Audit Bill from Ernst & Young of 70.50. DP proposed payment,  SH 
seconded all agreed and a cheque was written (000218).
The  Clerks  salary  and expenses up to the  end  of  March  were 
presented   Salary  225.62
          Expenses    72.04      TOTAL 297.66.
DP  proposed  payment, DT seconded, all agreed and a  cheque  was 
written (000219).
SALC  subscription  of  53.79  due.   HD  proposed  payment,  RD 
seconded all agreed & a cheque was written (000220).
A VAT claim for 150.93 had been made up to the end of February.

ROADS AND FOOTPATHS 
DT  reported  that  a footpath appeared to being  put  in  behind 
Tadhill House. Info will be sought.                       (CLERK)
No news on layby infilling.

Flooding  on Blackers Lane will be reported and state of  village 
street had been reported.                                 (CLERK)

PLANNING
Metal arch at Leigh School - Mrs Carey and those at the  Sawmills 
have not been consulted. No objection.                    (CLERK)
QUARRY MATTERS
WHATLEY - PC not sent consultation documents.  Complain.  (CLERK)

STRUCTURE PLAN
(HD  &  RD) The SCC presentation to SALC had been very  vague  on 
quarrying. It was agreed by Councillors who had seen the document 
that it was contradictory and incoherent.  It was agreed to write 
to SCC with observations.                                    (DP) 

MEETINGS ATTENDED
SH - Bringing Home Rio  info will be circulated.
HD  -  SALC some info already reported rest will  be  circulated.  
From RD - SALC will be reviewing their Minerals Policy.
JD  -  ASHAM  &  EAST MENDIP  GROUP,  agreed  to  oppose  Whatley 
expansion.

CORRESPONDENCE
Invitation to Village Quiz on 24/03.
SITA Ground Maintenance information.
Waste Away magazine.
Nomination  Papers  & Notices for the forthcoming  elections  had 
arrived.

NEXT MEETING 24/04/95
ANNUAL PARISH MEETING & AGM ON 15 MAY.



jal290395


Back to list of meetings