MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD ON 15 MAY 1995 IN THE HALL. The Minutes of the Annual Parish Meeting of 23 May 1995 which had been circulated were accepted as a true record and signed. The Hall Report by V Winks was read out by D Pattison. See copy enclosed. D Pattison expressed the PC's thanks to the Hall Committee. Halecombe Support Group - Secretary J Featherstone. Wimpey Hobbs had in the last year become Wimpey Minerals. Work was progressing in line with the agreed planning schedule as far as possible. The Company were holding a BBQ on 7 July to help raise funds for a heart machine at Mendip Country Practice. JF was thanked for her report. Leigh-Halecombe Residents Group - R Dixon No report as group dormant. Councillor Merrick said that the 19 or 26 September had been set as provisional dates for the Bulls Green Link Public Inquiry. Concern was expressed by Parishioners about the planting of maize in footpath fields. D Turner said by law the crop musn't stop footpath being walked. If no width stipulated on definitive map a minimum of 1 metre must be left clear. The PC will act. (DT) The problem of very large lorries on narrow roads was raised and the use of Leigh Street by lorries was brought to the attention of Councillors. RD felt that SCC were in a unique position as Minerals and Highways Authority to act on this but AM pointed out that SCC had no power to force operators to use certain roads. RD felt that SCC could make representation to the Goods Vehicle Licensing Authority when licences were up for renewal to regulate parking sites and influence routing of vehicles. It was agreed to discuss this at a PC meeting. Recreation Field Management Committee - Chairman J Robson. See enclosed report. Thanks were expressed on behalf of the PC to the Committee. Parish Council - D Pattison Consulataion on the new Mendip Local Plan were in process and the PC expected to participate. Since the last APM the Local Government Review had occurred and as supported by the PC the status quo had prevailed. The PC kept on at SCC about holes etc in roads but it was a question of funding. The Parish footpaths appeared in good shape with a lot of new stiles and signs having been put up and DT was thanked for his work. It had been a quiet year on the quarrying front but work on the bund at Halecombe seemed to be on schedule. There is to be a public meeting between SCC and MDC about Whatley on 31 May at Shepton. Due to an initiative from Leigh presented to SALC the NRPB had agreed to look into the link between radon and quarrying. A new notice board for the top end of the village had been ordered and would be in situ soon. Thanks were expressed to S Haywood and the WI for organising the Village Clean Up Day. Finally retiring Councillor H Daniels was thanked for her work. The Meeting Closed and refreshments were served.
Back to list of meetings