MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
            HELD ON 15 SEPTEMBER 1997 IN THE SCHOOL.
Councillors  present:  J  Davis,  M Loten,  P  Moore,  D  Turner, 
J Wright and D Pattison, Chairman.
District Councillor Ward had sent her apologies.
The  Minutes  of the last meeting were amended under  FINANCE  to 
read  "Hall Rent of 10.50 due" and were then accepted as a  true 
record and signed.
MATTERS ARISING
DOG  FOULING  -  District Council had informed  the  Clerk   that 
notices  were  not  available  to  PC's  as  they  put  them   in 
'unsuitable  places', but they could ask the DC to erect  notices 
or  purchase  them  themselves. It was agreed  to  write  to  the 
District Councillor on this matter.                       (CLERK)
CHANTRY LANE INQUIRY - no invitation to attend and no  timetable.  
DT  said  he  will  go on the first  day.  Papers  given  to  DT.  
Councillors would co-ordinate action.             (JD,RD,DP & DT)
BURIAL  GROUND  -  J Wood will act.  Valuation  awaited,  Faculty 
applied  for  and   Change  of  Use  application  prepared.   Sub 
committee to meet asap.
ROADS - white line will be marked at Greenshutters.
FINANCE
SUNFLOWER  CLUB GRANT - Sparks Beattie gave a progress report  on 
the  club  and asked for money to purchase a parachute  or  space 
hoppers.  DT thought he could get a secondhand balloon parachute.  
DP proposed 50 for space hoppers, DT seconded, all agreed Cheque 
200 on PC Current a/c made out, signed and given to SB.
[See also under BURIAL GROUND UPDATE]
Change of Signature forms signed, will be sent to RD to sign  and 
return to Nat West.  PC still has grant money available. 
PLANNING
PLANNING SEMINAR 1900h 23/09 at Council Offices.    (PM,JD,DP,DT)
TOWNSEND HOUSE approved.
6  HOUSES AT MANOR FARM approved.  Concern was felt  that  little 
notice  is  taken of PC's comments agreed to wait for  letter  of 
explanation from Planning Dept & then contact DC Ward.    (CLERK)
SOMERSET STRUCTURE PLAN REVIEW - examination in public  13/01/98. 
SALC will be asked how PC gets voice heard.               (CLERK)
TRANSPORT  POLICY  DOCUMENT  &  SALC "DEVELOPING  AN   INTEGRATED 
TRANSPORT POLICY" circulated.
MENDIP  DISTRICT  COUNCIL  "LOCAL  PLAN  VILLAGE  PLANNING   DAY" 
document available.  A notice will be put in the Village Magazine 
telling parishioners it is available.                     (CLERK)
VILLAGE SHOP RATE RELIEF CONSULTATION DOCUMENT on the designation 
of  rural areas for the purposes of the rate relief  scheme   had 
been  circulated. Councillors agreed with the proposal to  accept 
the  rural area designation under the Right to Aquire scheme  for 
housing association tenants.                              (CLERK)

LEIGH  0N MENDIP PLAYERS have disbanded - it was agreed to  write 
and  thank  Dave & Bobby Anderson for their hard  work.   The  PC 
purchased  stage  blocks  for LUMP which have been  kept  at  the 
School  LUMP will be asked to agree to them being offered to  the 
School.                                                   (CLERK)

ROADS AND FOOTPATHS
Finger  post  still  not mended.  ML  reported  that  youths  had 
vandalised the 'no cycling' sign at the end of Church Drain.  She 
also  reported that the listed arch and lantern over  the  church 
had been damaged by being swung on.                       (CLERK)
Mud  on  lane connecting the 2 roads at Tadhill had been  so  bad 
that the lane was dangerous. The farmer will be contacted.(CLERK)
Lamp outside 1 Church Walk not working.                   (CLERK)
Brambles overgrowing pavement at the Bell carpark.           (PM)
Brian  Loten had offered to clear Chuch Drain as no one had  come 
forward  in response to the plea in the Parish Magazine.  It  was 
agreed to ask him to do the work and bill the PC.         (CLERK)
BURIAL GROUND UPDATE 
DP  had written to the plot owners giving them a  certificate  to 
say  PC is applying for Change of Use.  Borings will be taken  to 
check  land  suitable.  PM proposed payment of 90  planning  fee 
when appropriate, JD seconded all agreed.  Cheque 251 made out to 
Mendip District Council and signed - will be retained by ML until 
needed.                                             (ML,DP,JD,JW)
Parish  Council lawn mower now being stored at Doors Hill Farm  - 
insurance cover will be checked.                          (CLERK)
RECREATION FIELD UPDATE
DP had written to Mr and Mrs Nielson asking them to donate  track 
land  in memory of Elsie Jeannes.  Mrs Nielson had  contacted  DP 
and expressed her interest in this proposal if their ownership of 
the track is confirmed.
J Wood had been retained to deal with the car park land.
Tiling project finished, painting project embarked on.
QUARRY MATTERS
MINERALS LOCAL PLAN ANALYSIS  OF CONSULTATION RESPONSE REPORT  on 
SCC Envir Committee agenda for 1/10/97.
HALECOMBE QUARRY VARIATION OF PERMISSION TO BUILD HOLDING LAKE  - 
Tarmac  believe they have hydrology information to show that  the 
construction of the balancing lake is not needed and plan to  dig 
a  bore hole at Soho Farm to supplement the supply.   Councillors 
felt  that  in  the long term a bore hole  would  allow  them  to 
extract  more  water from the aquifer and thus damage  the  water 
table more.                                               (CLERK)
REPORT FROM EAST MENDIP RURAL TASK FORCE ENVIR GROUP SUB COMMITTEE
(JW)  -  had  agreed to recommend Barns Close be  made  safe  and 
natural  regeneration be encouraged.  Cooks Wood be handed  to  a 
leisure  complex to develop and light industrial  development  be 
encouraged at Cooks Wood West.
MEMORIAL  HALL  -  AGM on 18 November.  There  were  problems  in 
finding  an  auditor  for the accounts  due to  the  new  Charity 
Rules.  JW will raise this with SALC.

CORRESPONDENCE
Circulated - info about Bristol Water Engineering Work;  Somerset 
Twinning  Notes;  SALC Annual report and  Information;  CPRE  AGM 
info.

NEXT MEETING 20 OCTOBER 1997.

jal210997


Back to list of meetings