MINUTES OF LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 17 AUGUST 1998 AT THE SCHOOL. Councillors present: J Davis,M Loten,P Moore,D Pattison(Chairman), D Turner and J Wright. Apologies were received from M Mears - Cemetery Clerk. A Ward, District Councillor, was present so matters that it was felt concerned the DC were dealt with first. HEDGEROW DEVELOPMENT MDC had responded to the PC's letter and stated that the houses were in the correct place and it was the boundary line that had been changed. The PC disputed this. A parishioner present at the meeting asked about the hedge to be planted and the use of pea gravel, it was felt the PC could not help on this matter and it was suggested he consult the builder. SWEB WAYLEAVE The Clerk had consulted the PC solicitor, the PC had not yet received the deeds gifting the track and due to the legal process associated with probate it was not known when the process would be completed. SWEB will be told and asked to consult the land owner. Copies of correspondence will be sent to M Nielsen.(CLERK) VILLAGE DESIGN STATEMENT N Haskins said that Mendip DC Planning Panel would be discussing the adoption of the VDS on 25 August. DT proposed that the PC adopt the Statement, PM seconded, all agreed. MD Councillors will be urged to follow the example of the PC to improve the quality of development in Leigh. They will be asked to set up a procedure for the use of the VDS in planning matters, to make their officers aware of its contents and to follow the example of other Councils in England and support the Countryside Commission who are using Leigh's VDS as an exemplar. (CLERK) Any VDS query to be given to P Moore, N Park or N Haskins. Members of the PC will attend the Planning Panel and at the suggestion of A Ward make a supporting speech. (DP & PM) A vote of thanks to those who worked on the VDS was made by DP. FINANCE CHANTRY LANE FIGHTING FUND - AW had consulted P Lacey of SALC about the legality of one PC pledging money to another. It was his view that if the matter affected parishioners in adjoining parishes then the PC could donate money. AW had spoken to a member of Chantry PC who thought that in light of newspaper reports that the government legal team had accepted that the matter be refered back to the Sec of State for the Environment. She asked that the PC defer their decision on this matter, they agreed. [A Ward Left] FINANCE continued JD, ML, PM & Clerk had discussed reclaiming VAT on the swing project at the Recreation Field following information from SALC and had agreed that it was not possible. J Robson had been sent copies of the SALC letters. (CLERK) M Loten declared an interest and took no part in the following- Footpath Clearance - work done on Church Drain etc. DT proposed payment of bill from B Loten for £55, DP seconded, all agreed. Cheque 274 on PC current a/c made out and signed. (CLERK) Cemetery Clearance - bill for £208.76p from B Loten for work done. JW proposed payment, PM seconded, all agreed. Cheque 275 on current a/c made out and signed. (CLERK) BL will be asked to get quotes for turfing for when wall is finished and to give a quote for laying and after care. (CLERK) M Loten was asked to rejoin the meeting. Skip Hire Bill from Western Skip Hire for £60.00 + £10.50 VAT TOTAL = £70.50 DT proposed payment, DP seconded, all agreed. Cheque 278 current a/c made out and signed. (CLERK) Grant to FOLS following his attendance at the meeting to discuss the School and community held by Agenda 21 PM had asked FOLS to resubmit their grant request as he felt that Councillors had misunderstood the thrust of the move - the school was part of the community project not the whole project. The quiet area will be used for educational and recreational purposes, the furniture should last at least 10 years and it had been decided to do the work during the summer due to the upheaval. DP proposed granting £100, DT seconded. PM proposed an amendment to the original proposal and the granting of £150, ML seconded. A vote on the amendment was taken - 2 for, 2 against the Chairman's vote defeated the amendment. A vote was taken on the first proposal of a grant of £100 and all agreed, cheque 279 current a/c made out to L-O-M School and signed. (CLERK) Audit The auditors had been informed that the PC had been audited for the last 2 years so an annual not a triennial audit was due. Forms to set up a Bank Account for the CEMETERY were signed by all but R Dixon who was not present. School Report JW told Councillors that the initiative to give schools indoor toilets meant that the outdoor ones had to be removed. This posed a problem at Leigh because the Eliot hut did not have an integral toilet facility. He felt that in the future the school or FOLS might be approaching the PC for a grant towards retaining or converting the toilet block. The MINUTES OF 20 JULY MEETING were amended to include the heading AGENDA 21 before the talk by Sparks Beattie and JD was added to those attending the VDS launch. The Minutes were then signed. MINUTES OF 6 AUGUST MEETING agreed and signed. MATTERS ARISING- from 20 July 1998. QUARRY MATTERS - AW had spoken to the quarry manager who had told her that there was no need to sheet the stone carrying dumper trucks, the PC were still not happy about this. No reply from Police to date. CEMETERY - DP produced a rough draft of the cemetery showing 24 plots. This was given to PM. WATERBUTT - PCC not met yet. (ML) REPORT BY CEMETERY CLERK - met with Coleford Clerk, registers £109 + £3.75 VAT & p & p. DT suggested contacting Oyez, M Mears will be asked to contact him to talk about this matter. (MM & DT) Information on disc will also be held by DT. It was agreed that the sub-committee would meet with MM. (CLERK) AGENDA 21 - PM reported on meeting to see if village interested in a community project called Map of Mendip, not a map but an initiative to get village organisations working together. It was agreed that this already happened in Leigh. DT asked if MDC and SCC could be informed that village name is Leigh-on-Mendip. (CLERK) SEAT - letter received handing it over to PC. It is covered by the PC's insurance. Crack in wood on back,under guarantee?(CLERK) MOWER - Hall contacted Clerk & matter progressing. The Clerk apologised to the PC that the letter concerning the Local Plan had arrived late at MDC. All other letters sent and been acknowledged. ROADS AND FOOTPATHS - request from parishioner that a sign be put at the bottom of Whitehole Hill near Hurdlestone Lodge warning about narrow road, and a complaint about fly-tipping on Whitehole Hill will be passed on. (CLERK) Letter from S Petherbridge, MDC, about F8/7 given to DT. (DT) RIGHTS OF WAY BOARD TRAINING SEMINAR on 5 October 1998. CEMETERY - it was agreed that due to the limited size of the area the PC would follow the church's guidelines and not allow plots to be reserved. VILLAGE WEB SITE DT suggested a village meeting to see who would be interested in being involved. It was agreed that the PC ought to "own" the site and retain control but that perhaps different organisations and commercial concerns could have access to their own parts to update them. Links with District, County and Frome Town Council will be considered. Addresses were discussed. DT offered to investigate funding. It was agreed to discuss the matter at a future meeting. (CLERK & DT) CORRESPONDENCE BLASTING REPORT FROM TARMAC received by DP. He asked other Councillors for their opinion as he felt that the conclusions and tables did not tally and that the report demonstrated conclusively that blasting recorded at Green Shutters was repeatedly over the allowable level. JW & DT agreed to read and report to DP who will write to SCC. (DP) CIRCULATED: MDC - Economic Development & Tourism Strategy 1998/99 Air Quality Steering Group formation: Somerset Rural Strategy: Thatch: VIRSA leaflet: Consultation Draft from SW Regional Planning Conferance deadline 16 Oct. (CLERK) For Display: Visit by MP, Heart Cycle Race, Farmers Market in Glastonbury, Housing Renovation Grants. With Clerk: MDC Consultation on Planning Folder, SCC Gypsy Meeting agenda, Job description from Assoc of Small Historic Towns and Villages. NEXT MEETING 21 September 7.30 in the School 19 October ditto. jal280898.
Back to list of meetings