Leigh on Mendip Recreation Field Management Committee

Minutes of meeting held 17 February 2014


Present: Vicky Higgins, Julian Back, Alan Dagger, Trevor Wells, Vanessa Barnes, Matt Bennett, David Pattison


1.    The minutes of the meetings held on 6 Jan were agreed.


2.    IB is getting another estimate from the original bidder.                                           Action VB

3.    Mendip DC had rejected the application by the PC for a  “Lawful Development Certificate”.  It was decided to apply for full planning permission.  DP to ask the Parish Council to apply on our behalf, and to fill in the forms.                                                                                                  Action DP

4.    Awards for All and grant application – on hold 

5.    Ralph & Irma Sperring application still to be tackled.

6.    Find a replacement cricket shed.

7.    Materials.

a.    VH had an offer from Whatley – 40t 803 aggregate free 40t tarmac (2 varieties) for about £2k, all including delivery.

b.    VH had spoken to Hans Johnson re Wainwrights and the 800t of “dirt”.  Hans reported that it is a bad time to ask. 

c.    DP to check on the discrepancy in quantity of dirt required.                            Action DP


8.    One more tree (the split one) to come down near E stile when field dries out. Plus thinning of large ash                                                                                                                                   VH FH

9.    Playground

a.    Tiles around both swings cleaned.  Sealant when dry                                      Action ALL

10. The ash tree close to TW’s house has been trimmed.

11. Car park sign to be made permanent. (JB has spike, VH’s Dad has auger).      Action DP

12. Clock needs new battery                                                                                              Action DP


13. Still no games since before Christmas. 


14. Bank balance £9661, still not enough for the pump track.  Water bill was £130, electricity is £10 per month, but still no account.

15. 2013 accounts can now be started.                                                                            Action VB

Cricket Club

16. Fees owing at the end of the 2013 season is £530.

17. DP had drafted letter to Frank.  TW to get address.  DP to try ringing.          Action TW/DP


Fund Raising 

18. Bonus Club.  February winners were: Angela & Steve Mahoney and Mike Bloxham.

Christmas Bingo

19.   A good evening.  Overall profit was £408. 





21 Feb

21 March








20. Note on hall door to send people to rec                                                                     Action DP

21. Print scorecards if necessary.  Check booze.

22. Raffle prizes required. Set up 7.00 start 7.30.                                                           Action: All


a.    VH attended last meeting.  Rec have agreed to do parking/gates and the bar during the day. 

Health & Safety.

a.    Fire extinguishers were checked.  DP to arrange inspection/servicing and add to list of annual jobs.                                                                                                                            Action DP

Regular Items

2.    Weekly safety inspection:    VH did in Jan.                                                               Action: VH

3.    Emergency lighting, smoke alarms, CO detector and accident book checked.  All OK.                                                                                                                                              Action DP

4.    Report for Parish Magazine-  Bonus Club, Whist Dates, AGM date

5.    Check Monthly list of jobs:.   Nil

Any Other Business

6.    Licence.  Rod Camborne has agreed to train bar servers.  DP to continue.      Action: DP

7.    Boiler service done 17 Dec

8.    Hedge Cutting.  JB to arrange (both sides this year), awaiting dry weather.      Action JB

9.    Lottery Registration.  Form passed to VB, check signed (£20)                              Action VB

10. Public Liability Insurance letter received.


Date of next meeting  Mon 10 Mar

at the rec at 7.30

AGM:   7 April