Leigh on Mendip Recreation Field Management Committee

Minutes of meeting held on 9 February 2015

 

Present: Vicky Higgins, Julian Back, Trevor Wells, Alan Dagger, David Pattison

Apologies: Vanessa Barnes, Vikki Batten, Matt Bennett, Anthea Brooks,

1.    The minutes of the meetings held on 12 Jan were agreed and signed.

2.    The Parish Council had stated that AB is now their representative, and that VB had resigned form the committee.  MB had also resigned.    DP to remove them from the register.                   Action DP

PUMP TRACK PROJECT

3.    Adrian Smith has asked a colleague for quote for the drawings for the application, and the estimate is is £175-£225, which should cover all work required; the larger amount would cover an amendment to the drawing if required. DP and VH had asked them to proceed on that basis.  This was agreed.

4.    DP and VH had reviewed the new position of the shed.  The position shown in current plans was under a tree and likely to be a problem with planning.  It was agreed that the area between the clubhouse and the play area was a good choice, being largely hidden from view.  It was agreed to go ahead on this basis subject to confirmation that the fire exit from the clubhouse remains within regulations. 

5.    (Post meeting note:  The Building Regulations 2000 state that the required width of escape routes for up to 110 people is 850mm. The path is 880mm wide, or 1070mm if the width of the ledge at the bottom of the wall is included.  The number of people which the bar and changing rooms would hold according to the regs is 103, including 25 in the changing rooms).                     Action DP

6.    We will need details of the shed.  It was agreed that it should be rendered blockwork, with a pitched steel roof, steel(?) door, guttering, soak away, concrete pad.   DP to contact cricket club.                                                                                                                                          Action DP

7.    An arboricultural specialist has offered to advise free of charge, and will quote for a survey if necessary.  He requested a photo of the part of the hedge which requires removal.  ACTION DP In the absence of crops, we will not need to remove any hedge, just some barbed wire fence.

8.    Adrian can survey the ground levels.

9.    The width of the track is 3.4m

10. We still need another estimate.  DP would try.                                                         Action DP

11. Awards for All and grant application – on hold 

12. Ralph & Irma Sperring application still to be tackled.

13. Materials.

a.    VH had an offer from Whatley – 40t 803 aggregate free 40t tarmac (2 varieties) for about £2k, all including delivery.

b.    VH had spoken to Hans Johnson re Wainwrights and the 800t of “dirt”.  Hans reported that it is a bad time to ask. 

c.    DP to check on the discrepancy in quantity of dirt required.                           Action DP

JOBS 

14. Working party 22 Feb                                                                                                   Action ALL

15. Playground

a.    Tiles around both swings cleaned.  Sealant when dry                                    Action ALL

16. Guttering at rear of clubhouse is broken.  VH to identify the make/type.             Action VH

17. Rear of clubhouse needs ivy/bramble removal.                                                       Action DP

18.  Wooden Engine repairs.  DP has not found a source. Davis Sparkes has offered a telegraph pole, due to be removed when his house is rebuilt.                                                         Action AD

19. N Playground gate broken.                                                                                          Action DP

20. Changing room corridor needs painting.  Emulsion done.  Gloss to do.             Action VH

21. Tables & chairs in disabled toilet are in the way.  Agreed to clear out area by closed off door and keep them there.                                                                                                                      Action All

22. The ramp is not held in place when down, and can fall off the door step.  It was agreed to investigate locating pins/other methods.                                                                                       Action DP

23. Boiler not working                                                                                                          Action FH

24. The main goals posts are approaching the end of their life.  New ones cost £100 to buy.  Grant awards are only available for new projects, not replacing existing ones.  VH proposed to ask Duo (LJH) if they could help.  If not, Derek Robinson is in the steelwork business.  Vicky Taylor has it in hand.                                                                                                                                Action VH

25. Hedge cutting.  David over the road had asked when it would be done.            Action JB

26. David had also mentioned that the slope inside the small gate is very slippery.  It was agreed to apply gravel                                                                                                                              Action JB

Football 

27.  All going well. Pitch is a bit cut up.  It was proposed to buy weed & feed for the pitch (about £70) - agreed                                                                                                                              Action FH

Finance:

28. Standing Order is £36 per month.  Meter was read :

Date

14/7/14

11/8/14

8/9/14

6/10/14

11/11/14

13/1/15

9/2/15

 

Reading

25775

25802

25834

25859

25862

25920

25989

 

Usage KWhr

 

27

32

25

3

58

69

 

Should cost £ (16p/KWhr + st ch 25p/day)

 

11.32

12.12

11.00

9.48

25.03

17.79

 

 

29. It was agreed to buy a safe for the treasurer to keep petty cash and valuable documents.                                                                                                                                        Action VB

30. Cricket warning signs by the playground are in place. VH has sent the invoice to the PC.

Cricket Club  Nil

Fund Raising 

31. Bonus Club.  Feb winners were Chris & Anna Higgins (paid) and  Tom & Lucia Kemp.                                                                                                                                           Action DP

 

Whist  

 

ROTA

 

21 Feb

20 Mar

 

DP

TW

 

32. Print scorecards if necessary.  Raffle prizes required. Set up 7.00 start 7.30.

Fair

33. Current plans are: No dog show.  Disco rather than  barn dance.  Rec planning to do parking, gates, bars again. Awaiting quarry decision on marquee.

Health & Safety.

34. DP had twice contacted Chubb re fire extinguisher maintenance, awaiting a response.                                                                                                                                          Action DP

Regular Items

35. Weekly safety inspection:    VH did in Jan.                                                               Action: VH

36. Emergency lighting, smoke alarms, CO detector and accident book checked today .  All OK.                                                                                                                                               Action DP

37. Report for Parish Magazine-  Bonus Club, Whist, AGM                                         Action DP

38. Check Monthly list of jobs:.   AGM April.  Playground inspection already arranged.

Any Other Business

39. Charity Commission - update required                                                                      Action DP

40. Rec had been offered an oak tree – it was agreed to accept.                                Action DP

41. It may be possible to make a small goal from scaffolding poles owned by John Davis.  Agreed to go ahead.                                                                                                                              Action DP

42. Somerset Wildlife Trust Wild Flower Meadow project.  There is a presentation on 24 February at 6pm to 7.30pm with buffet about the project in Stoke and Leigh at the Earth Science Centre in Stoke.  AB will be attending as Parish Clerk, VH, JB and DP also volunteered.  DP to find out what time.  Possibly to get Jake Chant to come to the Rec Field and have a look.               Action AB

43. 2 Non return valves are required for the gas cylinders.  VH was authorised to buy them, at around £20ea.                                                                                                                              Action VH

44. Gambling act registration required – cheque for £20 to Mendip District Council required                                                                                                                                          Action DP

 

Date of next meeting  Mon 16 March at the PUB at 7.30

AGM Mon 13 April at 7.30 at the rec, normal meeting to follow