Leigh on Mendip Recreation Field Management Committee

Minutes of meeting held on 11 June 2018

Present:   Vicky Higgins, Denis Pattison, David Pattison, Vanessa Barnes, Alan Dagger (part)

Apologies:  Simon Wolf, Anthea Brooks, Vicky Trundle

1.    The minutes of the meeting held on 7 May were agreed and signed.

JOBS

2.    Shed. Repair vandal damage and paint. 

3.    Guttering for shed roof.  Later.

4.    Sand at back of shed - spread it in the car park. DONE

5.    Install new rubbish bin.

6.    Replace outside socket, upgrade lighting the path to the clubhouse, fit new smoke detector, move CO alarm (all items have been acquired). DONE

7.    Matt’s large picnic table needs repainting. 

8.    Extend the clubhouse alarm to the shed, and a power supply.

9.    Get the ride on mower fixed.                                                                                        Action FH

10. Bench near pedestrian gate.  Michael Wainwright has started fixing it at DP’s house. DP will put it back, further from the hedge.                                                                                      Action DP

11. Rec clean up was well supported and got lots done.  Thank you to Dave, Dags, Frank, Mick, David, Rose, Vicky, Vicky, Marlene and Marcus.

Football  Nil

Finance:

12. Electricity meter reading was 28248, usage 58 units. 

13. VH passed DNP £32 whist money, a receipt for expenses and a donation from Rick Massey.

14. DP passed DNP a receipt for whist prizes for 29.05.

15. DNP passed VH £40 for June Bonus Club prizes.

16. Coventry BS account.  Agreed to close it.                                                                 Action DP

Cricket Club 

17.  Three issues outstanding:

a.    CC to provide a copy of their insurance

b.    CC to provide a copy of the licence

c.    CC to nominate a member for RFMC

18.  DP to get a key for the extra security feature to the new shed.                            Action DP

19.  The CC have agreed not to mow on Tues nights during bowls.

Fund Raising

Bonus Club

Mnth

Winning No

Amnt

Winner 1

Winner 2

Oct

21

£20

Jane Elliott

Chris & Cathy Cudmore

Nov

57

£20

Vicki Trundle

Jane Llewellyn

Dec

52

£20

Paul Sherne

Tom & Sue Rodford

Jan

50

£20

Caroline and Mark Palmer

Nil

Feb

38

£30

Ian Phelps

Matt & Cathy Bennett

Mar

36

£20

Jane Llewellyn & Ben Cabot

Tony Gould

Apr

13

£20

Dave & Barbara Turner

Mark Humphrey

May

41

£20

Mary & David Mears

Caroline & Mark Palmer

Jun

10

£20

Simon and Julie Coe

Ian and Vanessa Barnes

£40 passed to VH to pay them.

20. Whist  

ROTA

18 May

15 June

20 July

17 Aug

AD

None (Fair)

DP

 

21. Raffle prizes required. Set up 7.00 start 7.30.  Score cards? Wine?                    Action DP

Fair  

22. The Fair is this Saturday!

23. DNP has sorted bouncy castle insurance.  Volunteer supervisors will be trained.

24. The car parking field has been cut by Rick Massey’s Dad, but grass needs to be cleared to avoid fire from hot exhausts.  (the area we use plus a track to the far gate).                 Action VH

25. VH has issued the rota.

26. FH is getting bottled water from Marsha at Whitehole.                                           Action FH

27. Plastic glasses.  Done

28. It was agreed to have recycling bins suitably labelled.  

a.    Plastic

b.    Paper/card

c.    Cans

d.    Non-recyclable

All to find bins.                                                                                                               Action ALL

Health & Safety.

29. A rope swing has been put up on the large tree near the pump track.  The committee inspected it and decided that the hazards involved were low enough to constitute sensible risk taking by young people.  It is far enough from the fence and roller, and the tree trunk is obvious. No action required.

30. The small goal has also been damaged by misuse.  It was decided that the damage does not present a significant risk. 

31. Wicksteed inspection.   

a.    Cradle swing chain.  Still waiting for Wicksteed .                                        Action VH

b.    Trees over play area to be removed / trimmed  To be re-arranged. FH agreed to ask for some equipment. 

32. Revisit the site hazard log, including adding the pump track.                               Action DP

33. Fire risk review.  DNP volunteered to assist.                                                            Action DP

Parish Council Issues

34. EXTENDED PLAY AREA  PC is still waiting for the money to come through from Mendip.  VH has asked for designs and quotes from various companies, no response yet.

35. Mowing.  Conitues.  Details of meadow area now confirmed? 

36. Lack of mowing of the edges, pump track etc now resolved?                               Action SW

Regular Items

37. Weekly safety inspection:    VH did in May.                                                              Action VH

38. Emergency lighting, 2 smoke alarms, CO detector and accident book checked today.  All in place and working.   Electrical reading above.                                                                                        Action AD

39. Report for Parish Magazine – Whist, BC, TY for clean up, fair.                            Action DP

40. Review annual list of jobs. 

a.    Check fire extinguishers.   Both due for service March 18  2kg CO2 £33, 6l Foam £35.29 SW had got agreement from the school to combine with them.  We will need to take our extinguishers to the school.  Due in June. Exact date tba                  Action SW

MARCH

b.    Check torque on main bolts of swings frame twice per year (Frank)                    Action FH

APRIL

c.    Provide report to annual parish meeting in the hall.                                   Action VH

MAY

d.    Check propane cylinders and order replacements as necessary (get rid of empties at same time or you will get lumbered!).

e.    Teak oil benches. DP issue the list.                                                               Action DP

JUNE

f.     Fair!

Any Other Business

41. LOMCA clubhouse hire 23/7.  Invoice now paid! 

42. VB plans to do the Wreath Making again, possibly on 2 dates.

43. Dogs incident.  An incident on the rec involving a loosed dog and an injury to a dog walker led to a facebook post asking who makes the rules on the rec.  DP replied as follows:

“David Pattison In reply to Fran Turner,


The rec is owned by the Rec Committee under a long lease from the Parish Council. The Rec Committee are all volunteers and its minutes are on the parish website. It is a registered charity, and runs the rec under its agreed charitable objectives, including reluctantly taking the decision to ask people to keep dogs on leads when on the rec. Unfortunately, there is no method by which we can enforce this rule, we rely on people being prepared to support the good of the community. By the way, there is no public footpath across the grass area of the field.


The reason we felt compelled to introduce this change is that all dog poo is NOT picked up. When dogs run free, some owners "fail to notice" when their pets leave presents behind. Leaving it on the rec is not on, for health reasons which are well known, and we are reminded of this at every annual safety inspection. All that means the mess has to be collected by someone else, an unpaid volunteer who looks after the rec out of the goodness of their heart. This is simply not acceptable. The leads rule has reduced this problem.


In other words, a minority of bad dog owners abused the rec, and the only way we could combat it affects all the good owners too. Sorry, but that's life.”

It got 5 “likes”!

Date of next meeting Mon 30 July at the Rec at 7.30

Changed to Mon 20th  August at the Rec at 7.30