Leigh on Mendip Recreation Field Management Committee

Minutes of meeting held 3 October 2011

 

Present: Vicky Higgins, David Pattison, Julian Back, Rose Martin

Apologies: Barry Gould, Trevor Wells

1.    The minutes of the meeting held on 5 Sept were agreed.

NEW PROJECT

2.    A group of young people and 2 parents attended the meeting to ask for additional facilities at the rec.  A wide ranging discussion was held.  The existing play area only caters for the very young; something form older kids is needed (this has been identified before by RFMC). 

3.    The old car park area is too rough for biking, but it was thought unsafe to encourage play on an area also used by cars for access.

4.    It was suggested that the CC shed be refurbished before it falls down!

5.    Examples of good facilities in the area include Holcombe (play area) and Stoke (skateboarding).

6.    Suggestions for a new facility were:

a.    A skateboard/biking/roller skating area

b.    A tyre swing from a tree

c.    A roundabout

d.    A seesaw

7.    A show of hands showed that the skateboard idea was most popular.

8.    Fund raising ideas were discussed:

a.    Grants eg Lottery (thought to be closed until after the Olympics), local funds (VH has sent away for a form

b.    Carnival collection (too late for this year)

c.    Sponsorship (eg the firms the children’s parents work for)

d.    Sponsored bike ride.

9.    It was agreed to run a sponsored bike ride from Mells to Radstock (on the bike path) and back on Sun 6 Nov, starting at 10am.

a.    Sponsorship form: DP to create & send to website, Becky to distribute

b.    Poster  - one of the youngsters

c.    Next meeting Mon 17 Oct 7pm at the rec

JOBS 

10. Decoration of Club house - Bar area started.  Working party agreed for 1030 on 16 Oct and as people are free.                                                                                                                                 Action ALL

11. Oiling of benches. All done for 2011, except JB.                                                     Action JB

12. Playground

a.    Tiles around small swing to be done.  Sealant has been bought.        Action VH & FH

b.    Painting.  VH has bought red paint.  List of jobs includes

i.      Painting the swings and climbing frame                                                      

ii.    Painting the fence

iii.   Painting the goalposts.  One done.  One net fitted.

RM to check with Simon Biddlecombe whether he wishes to continue.  If not, we will do it.                                                                                                                                     Action RM

13. Moles.  3 caught.  

14. Soil pile. 

15. VH to ask Rick Massey to move the debris pile.  Will do it after the corn is harvested (access from his field, not across the rec).                                                                                                    Action VH

Football: Article had been sent off, but not printed. Try again                                    Action DP

Cricket: The Cricket Club had now removed their TV.  The youth club TV is a Hannspree T23B, which has a 32 inch screen, HDMI and is HD Ready.  We have the stand and a wall bracket.               Action TW

Bowls: VH had a last fee of £3, which is to be added to DP’s cash float.                Action VH

Finance:

16. The cash float held by DP now stands as follows:

 

Date paid/rec’d

Paid/Rec’d

Balance

Balance at last meeting

6 Sept  2011

 

£586.22

Bonus Club Sept

14 Sept

-£40

£546.22

Whist Drive

17 Sept

+£34.52

£580.74

Bowls

3 Oct

+£3

583.74

 

17. VH provided the following receipts and cheque no 423 was made out to her for the total of £159.66: red paint, white paint, goal nets, security light, soft tile sealant.

18. Cheque no 424 was made out for £90 payable to Barron Pest Control for mole catching.

19. BG had sent copies of all bank statements from Nov to Sept.  The following items had been paid in:  Bonus Club Receipts (£250 + £10), Donation (£60) and Whist Drive Takings (£131.55).

20. The following items were unaccounted for:

a.    Bingo takings: £243.

b.    CC dues 2010: £150

c.    CC contribution to mole catching: £125 + £55

d.    CC dues for 2011: £150

e.    CC contribution to Insurance 2011 (and possibly 2010?

f.     Fair takings:  £400

21. It was agreed to ask BG for a meeting at his convenience to resolve.                 Action DP

Bonus Club

22. Winners in October were Michael Bloxham and Steve & Angela Mahoney.

Fete

23. Field suffered damage inside the gates.  It would be better if level with car park, agreed to level it in September.                                                                                                                      Action VH

Whist Drive

ROTA

21 Oct

18 Nov

DP

JB

JB

TW

RM

RM

 

24. Raffle prizes required.

25. Set up 6.30, start 7.30.

Health & Safety.

26. Nil. 

Regular Items

27. Weekly safety inspection:    VH did in Sept.                                                             Action: VH

28. Emergency lighting, smoke alarms, CO detector and accident book all checked.

29. Report for Parish Magazine- Bonus Club, Whist Drives, Bingo;.                         Action:DP

30. Check Monthly list of jobs: hedge cutting

Any Other Business

31.  It was agreed to run  Christmas Bingo on 10 Dec. 

a.    DP to book hall.  Done

b.    Cricket club to be asked to participate                                                               Action: TW

32. SB had been asked not to practice shot putting when the ground is soft, as it leaves holes which are dangerous for others.

33. The village sign project had asked for the use of the rec. 

a.    WI to use it 14, 21 & 28 Sept, 2 to 4pm

b.    Youth group 19,26 Sept 6 to 8pm

c.    RM has a key.

d.    Fee same as the hall (weekdays, £5 per hour up to 6pm, £6 per hour after 6pm), but on condition that the building was left in a clean condition (otherwise a charge will be levied).  The carpet to be protected if carving is done inside building.                              Action RM

 

Date of next meeting                  Mon 7 Nov                 7.30 at the Club House